PDA

View Full Version : Best Crab Bait???

TheProvider
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Secret recipies please.. fish, fish heads, wet dog food, mother inlaws annoying poodle....?

BiG Boar
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Chicken. Unless its duck season.

Fred1
03-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Can of tuna... use it to catch the cat that keeps shitting in your flowers... use cat to ....... :wink:

Salty
03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
A fresh carcass of a fish that you've caught and cut the fillets off of in nearby waters. ya chicken and cat food and road kill works but nothing like fish heads/carcasses.

Ambush
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Adrian Dix.

warnniklz
03-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Fish carcass or chicken soaked in Pautzke crab fuel... Done deal

The Dawg
03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Used to use dogfish. Worked a treat

40incher
03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Moose or beef liver in wire mesh.

Salty
03-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Another thing is how to bait. Loose the plastic bait holders. I mean if all you have is a tin of cat food or a bit of chicken fine but if you want to catch a lot of crabs you need a good sized trap and real edible bait secured to the floor in the middle with wire, zip ties whatever. Don't have any too close to the outside or they will feed from outside. When the first couple crabs get in there and start chowing down sending scent and noise everywhere their buddys will come running. Think a tin with holes in it and a chunk of meat and a few crows and a blue jay pecking at it. Or a gut pile being devoured by all kinds of critters with more on the flanks looking to get in. Same kind of deal at the bottom of the sea.

BigfishCanada
03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
If you use fish, over chicken which is what I like, you end up getting seals messing with your traps, because of that Id suggest rotten chicken

Salty
03-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Hmm, never had a seal mess with a trap mind you i use heavy stainless commercial style. Seals have been known to eat decomposing human bodies so I don't think the rot idea would help if that was ever an issue. The other thing is things don't rot per se in the sea I'm not a fan of anything but fresh fairly natural bait. YMMV

MB_Boy
03-27-2013, 09:51 PM
My take is.......in a cage bait holder......FRESH turkey or chicken backs. They are cheap as hell.....and they draw them in something fierce.

<I should add.....we have bought 5 litre pails of "fish oil" from a processing plant and added that to both crab and prawn bait and it is a hot damn!! Our problem in using in consistently is being lazy as to who is going to drive out and get it.>

After years of crabbing they have worked wonders for us. In sayin that though we have dropped traps in English Bay....zipped into Sandbar and had appetizers (and pints) while the traps soaked. We had a "rookie" buy the bait one year and there wasn't enough to do a second drop; we used all the leftovers including pizza, wing bones, rib bones and calamari just for kicks and in a hour after the first pull we had 5 more keepers to round out 5 limits.

I have heard halibut carcusses work well.....or salmon heads but I also wonder about the attraction for seals. We've never had a trap ripped apart by one......just poached by unscrupilous idiots but I saw this video the other day that made me wonder. I always mean to keep fish parts to try but always forget as my usual bait always works just fine.

Wait till 3:55 and see "who" comes to investigate. Looking at the bait I would assume it is fish as it pulls apart like halibut rather than chicken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBYyklFhq08

adriaticum
03-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Everyone here uses chicken.

sniper ren
03-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Fresh salmon skeleton/head and prawn heads worked great for us today!

warnniklz
03-27-2013, 10:03 PM
<I should add.....we have bought 5 litre pails of "fish oil" from a processing plant and added that to both crab and prawn bait and it is a hot damn!! Our problem in using in consistently is being lazy as to who is going to drive out and get it.>

Like I said Pautzke crab fuel

MB_Boy
03-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Like I said Pautzke crab fuel

Haha.....didn't know what it was called; other than it stinks like crap and when it's on my hands it makes my beer taste dizzzguzzzting after loading up the traps. :wink:

I just know be bought it at some fish plant out in Surrey and his truck always smelled like arse as he always lost the bet as to who picked it up.

warnniklz
03-27-2013, 10:31 PM
http://www.pautzke.com/products_scents_crabfuel.php

it's all the run off from fish/crab processing plant with ground up shells, guts, gills and what not

huntcoop
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Chicken backs or cat food but chicken backs seems to work best.

Johnny G1
03-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Adrian Dix. That's fine as long as you don't want to eat the crabs later.

russm
03-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Chicken, the last time we used salmon we had a deal doing a circuit between our traps eventually gave up and fed it the rest of the bait at the side if the boat.

Ozone
03-28-2013, 03:41 AM
mother inlaws

This would work

Wild one
03-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Salmon & chicken

springpin
03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
My ex wife!

Paulyman
03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Cheap cologne and a new haircut. go hang out at any bar in Surrey and you should have success.

genockous
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
A couple surrey girls

r106
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Kfc............

warnniklz
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Cheap cologne and a new haircut. go hang out at any bar in Surrey and you should have success.

Sad thing is... You don't even have to try that hard.

steel_ram
03-28-2013, 06:50 PM
An old ham bone in a running shoe.

Paulyman
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Omg, that is funny s hit right there, I assume you are referring to picking up Surrey girls?.
An old ham bone in a running shoe.

Fred1
03-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Omg, that is funny s hit right there, I assume you are referring to picking up Surrey girls?.

Now that right there is funny!!!

slayer B
03-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Nothing beats salmon heads, I've got my limit in 15 mins before fishing off a dock with 2 traps. One had 25 in it ( five keepers) and the other had 6 or 7 (1 keeper). Although to be fair it usually took me closer to a half hour to 45 mins to limit out.

pronghorn
03-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Chicken left in the sun for a couple hours or a dead seagull if you can find one.

longstonec
03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Never had problems with seals, have caught a couple river otters though! hard to get the trap over the side of the boat with a 65lb otter in it.

Oilier bait is better but most anything will work. Depending on the length of soak i will use plastic bait containers, or bait strapped into the middle, or both. I never have a shortage of fish skeletons so thats what I usually use. I prefer salmon heads. will usualy stuff some guts into the plastic bait container.halibut works fine, rock cod, cat food($$), oreo cookies, tuna(sept thats $$) even hand full's of muscles off the side of the dock. Use whatever you got. Add a couple funny coloured zap straps to the main opening so that you can tell if your traps been pulled, ( what are the chances that Joe Dickhead has 5 red and 9 pink zap straps in his pants )

Salty
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't get this idea that rotten or decomposing bait is a good idea. Nothing rots in the ocean, it decomposes differently without oxygen and in a salt solution, or more likely is consumed right away by microscopic and bigger creatures. Plus I'm not big on eating a crab who's last meal was rotten meat.

2tins
03-29-2013, 06:27 PM
They are hard to catch and they have a terrible bite but if you can catch 'em..............pit bulls.

Paulyman
03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Or trolls,they make good crab bait.

slayer B
03-30-2013, 08:45 AM
I got a book called How to catch Crabs by Charlie White. I recommend you check it out. Lots of good tips and tricks but one thing he stresses is that non marine and old rotting bait will attract crabs but usually the smaller ones and females. He recommends fresh bait like fish carcasses, clams or herring in a bait cage work good too. Large male crabs like to eat the good stuff so be ready to give it to them. Happy crabbing and don't forget the garlic butter!

40incher
03-30-2013, 10:31 PM
How about a 127 cm. or larger halibut after April 1st? They'll be crab bait after they are released with a hook in their gut anyways.

ratherbefishin
03-31-2013, 06:54 AM
personally I would prefer pimps,[everybody has a purpose in life] but the very best bait I've used is chicken bones

steel_ram
04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Apparently Chinook heads aren't as good as other species'. They do have a unique strong scent. Might be more BS from an Ol'timer, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

MillBay
04-02-2013, 09:25 AM
No magic bullet here except "FRESH" never reuse bait and all bait fishes out after couple of hours, if you don't believe that pull your traps and try reusing it.
Beef fat, port fat, chicken fat/backs , fish frames (Better than fish heads, more surface exposed). Roe even fresh prawn heads work well.

IronNoggin
04-02-2013, 11:48 AM
In order of Preference based on repetitive catch rates:

Tuna Frames - Incredible Oil Slick they will track down for a considerable distance.

Halibut Frames - Large exposed surface areas, draws them in and holds them.

Rockfish Frames - Close to the same as halibut.

Salmon Heads - Watch out for furry trap wreckers!

Chicken Backs.

Use all FRESH! We've found the older it is, the less it will produce.

Cheers,
Nog

Salty
04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
I agree with Nog's take above on all counts. Another one I'd add in there is dogfish (mud sharks) and rate them probably right under rockfish. Tie them in whole or a piece of a big one if they won't fit. Make sure to slit their bellies to get the oil slick going. Always make sure any bait is secured and in the middle of the trap so the crabs can't feed from the outside of the trap elsewise they won't bother going in.

Confused
04-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Interesting stuff, what do the commercial guys use? Surely they have it figured out for best results and efficiency. I would think that they leave their traps down for extended lengths of time???? One guy told me that they actually use mink carcasses form mink farms?????????

Salty
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Interesting stuff, what do the commercial guys use? Surely they have it figured out for best results and efficiency. I would think that they leave their traps down for extended lengths of time???? One guy told me that they actually use mink carcasses form mink farms?????????

The commercial guys I know of use fish carcasses; that they get from processing plants for the most part. Yes the traps stay down for days at times due to storms, laziness. lol. or just the sheer number of traps they tend and the time it takes to do a circuit. Most of the crabs will be caught in short order.. hours not days.

ActionJackson017
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Confused - I'm guessing (given first hand experience being on deck with Nog) that his list is pretty much what the commercial guys use... Nog is a pure bred killer while out on the ocean, any advice he gives I tend to pay attention to.

MillBay
04-03-2013, 07:44 AM
"I would think that they leave their traps down for extended lengths of time???? "

I believe the commercial guys are limited to how many times they can pull thier traps in a week. Not everyone has Tuna and Halibut frames in thier freezer thats why I use Fat and c hicken, and we eat lots of crabs.

Keta1969
04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Was talking to a guy a couple of years ago who had leased out his boat to an outfitter for bear hunting around Knights Inlet.He has fished a lot of crab in the past but said he's never seen anything like the results they got with bear meat!!!!

1980skywalker
04-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I second the bear meat bait, tried it a few weeks ago in sidney, could only leave the trap down for 15minutes. Much more than that and the crabs had eaten all the bait, needless to say we caught our limit in short order. I also had halibut and salmon carcasses in another trap and chicken in a third, the bear worked the best by far!