PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 moose LEH authorizations reduced

reach
03-26-2013, 07:05 PM
March 26, 2013
Region 5 Cariboo - Tentative Numbers for Bull Moose

Please note that the Tentative Numbers for Bull Moose (hunt codes 4137 to 4224) in the 2013-2014 Limited Entry Hunting Synopsis have been reduced and the on-line LEH Synopsis (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_13_14.pdf) has been updated.

Source: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/news/

rcar
03-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the post....getting to be the time to start to figure out this year's LEH application donations!

gcreek
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
They've increased 5-12 A from 189 last year to 250 this year. Doesn't make much sense other than the money grab. I believe the 3 local GO's get reduced this year. One of them is from 18 over 3 years to 9.

Is there a polite way to ask a bio to remove their head from their ass?

boxhitch
03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
When is the next Reg 5 FHAC meeting ?

specbelly
03-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Hunted 5-12A last fall in Oct. 5 of us in camp, all expereinced moose chasers. In 9 days of hunting we saw zero moose, 3 sets of tracks in the snow. The fall before we took one bull out of there. There is a real shortage of moose around Puntzi and sent an email to the Bio to let him know. Guess they know better or don't know how to open emails

bandit
03-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Maybe they put high allocations in 5-12 even though they know there's no moose to take the pressure of other areas??

shallowH2O
03-27-2013, 06:19 PM
or is it a "get rid of the moose, to save the caribou" strategy??

Fred1
03-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Maybe they put high allocations in 5-12 even though they know there's no moose to take the pressure of other areas??

If that is the case, that might be the best management practice implemented ever!!!

HarryToolips
03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Hope we see a turn-around here soon for the moose in the province..even here in the Okanagan, where their numbers are higher than originally thought, they are concerned over the bull:cow ratio.. the MOE really needs to get FN everywhere in the province on board with conservation, and for God's sake start de-activating roads everywhere, too much access for everybody!!

SUAFOYT
03-27-2013, 07:50 PM
or is it a "get rid of the moose, to save the caribou" strategy??

Absolutely. They started in 3-40 2 years ago. 20 Bulls again this year. Down from 22:confused:

Fred1
03-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Roads are deactivated all the time. Perhaps you mean rehabilitated ;) Rehab is recontouring the road and restoring natural drainage patterns, putting back the earth the way is was before construction. Many of the forest roads, FSR's and in-block roads are not rehabilitated because they are accessing future timber resources or the road bed is completely stable. The outlook for extraction may be as long as 15 years. I do know that one timber company, in addition the the roads it already rehabs, is moving twards rehabilitating more short sections of used logging roads to limit truck access. Ie rehabilitate the first 200m of an in-block road and deactivating the rest. The quad will always get across our landscapes... but then again, thats what its for... :)

40incher
03-27-2013, 08:47 PM
There is no moose plan in Region 5. Just some self-centered bureaucrats trying to play games.

They can make a crisis out of anything, when simple conservation-based wildilfe management would do.

Good luck with that!

dana
03-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Absolutely. They started in 3-40 2 years ago. 20 Bulls again this year. Down from 22:confused:

Did you have a look at 3-43 and 3-44??? 4 tags divided between the 2 units. 1 per season per unit. Less than 10 years ago, both units were amazing moose producers. Now the starving collared wolves can get to work and finish the caribou off too.

.300WSMImpact!
03-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Hope we see a turn-around here soon for the moose in the province..even here in the Okanagan, where their numbers are higher than originally thought, they are concerned over the bull:cow ratio.. the MOE really needs to get FN everywhere in the province on board with conservation, and for God's sake start de-activating roads everywhere, too much access for everybody!!

the only reason I dont agree with this is because you cant remove the roads in the winter area they are too low and usually the access to other things, its not the high up roads that are the main issue its the roads in the wintering grounds where the moose are easy pickings in January to April

Fred1
03-27-2013, 09:37 PM
the only reason I dont agree with this is because you cant remove the roads in the winter area they are too low and usually the access to other things, its not the high up roads that are the main issue its the roads in the wintering grounds where the moose are easy pickings in January to April

Great point! And another good reason to try and get the FN on board... a long shot I supppose....

Hunt-4-Life
03-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Man that's a letdown. I'm eating 2012 5-2 bull's sirloin tip as I'm typing this and thinking about where to put in this year. FN raised a stink in the Chilcotin last year so they drop LEH numbers everywhere in Reg 5? I fail to see the connection between low moose numbers in the Chilcotin and the decline in LEH authorizations for areas like 5-15, 5-2 and 5-1. Out of touch people in the head shed.

panhead
03-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Wouldn't have eaten my 5-12 moose so fast if I'd known this. They screwed this up last year too. (only to the good.) @#$%!)&%%
Probably be "eatin crow" this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like Major Clipton at the end of The Bridge On The River Kwai, frustratingly uttering the words: “Madness… Madness…”

SUAFOYT
03-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Did you have a look at 3-43 and 3-44??? 4 tags divided between the 2 units. 1 per season per unit. Less than 10 years ago, both units were amazing moose producers. Now the starving collared wolves can get to work and finish the caribou off too.

Pretty damn depressing. It's a strategy that to me that when implemented in the way it has, is devastating to moose populations almost immediately, yet it takes the bureaucrats always waiting for "next year" results to begin looking at how to fix it. I guess as the non locals see the high number of tags as in 3-40 they take a chance on the LEH and spend the money.

sapper
04-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Man, that sucks. Our unsuccessful bull hunt in 5-01 last season hurts that much more now. I think I may forfeit putting in for LEH moose and just try one of the August hunts. As a teacher the long distances in the fall are hard to get out for.

twinpeaks3
04-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Makes one wounder what the FN will be up to this fall and is it something I want to get involved with. They can turn a great hunt into a crappy time if they so choose. As much as I love it up there think this is a good year to put my moose leh somewhere else and see what happens with the FN.