PDA

View Full Version : Sure wish BC would let us hunt moose like this?

tangozulu
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Sweetl
Really would be nice. 12 cylinder rack and the meat would never spoil.
My back isn't as stronge as it use to be and my eyes not too good either.
Beer and pizzas while we wait 12 hrs.
How cool is that!

http://biggamehunt.net/stories/alaska-yukon-moose-hunt-northwest-territories

BiG Boar
03-25-2013, 12:07 PM
He spotted it with the chopper and shot it 12 hours later? What. A. Trophy.

Glenny
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Extro anchovies please.

tangozulu
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Pretty expensive but heck you only live once.
Sign me up.

QUOTE=BiG Boar;1308215]He spotted it with the chopper and shot it 12 hours later? What. A. Trophy.[/QUOTE]

bensonvalley
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
More money than brains, or heart. Glad he had fun, that counts for something.

tangozulu
03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Its comforting to know Ill still be able to hunt moose once I reach his age.

More money than brains, or heart. Glad he had fun, that counts for something.

The Dawg
03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
He spotted it with the chopper and shot it 12 hours later? What. A. Trophy.

Doesn't sound any different than road hunting

Elkaholic
03-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Hunting is hunting, if its legal its legal. Some people like to think their method is better than other only to stroke their epeen. I am for anything within legal limits.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
yep ... Baiting bear is legal in Alberta .. yet Baiting Deer/Elk etc isnt ... complete opposite of BC ...

I am not certain why Transport of hunters via Helicopter is illegal here in BC ... I personally think an A/C is an A/C and it should be fine with 6 hour dis-embarkment rule of non-regular sheduled commercial A/C.

The Dawg
03-25-2013, 01:21 PM
yep ... Baiting bear is legal in Alberta .. yet Baiting Deer/Elk etc isnt ... complete opposite of BC ...

I am not certain why Transport of hunters via Helicopter is illegal here in BC ... I personally think an A/C is an A/C and it should be fine with 6 hour dis-embarkment rule of non-regular sheduled commercial A/C. Agreed. People can drive up to the moose and shoot it, but not fly? Makes no sense.

Amphibious
03-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Sad. Helicopters can easily destroy fair chase when used for hunting. Endless differences between the capabilities of fixed wing aircraft and helicopters. Good reasons for limiting their use In BC.

sawmill
03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
He seems awfully fixated on his jewelrey.When`s the last time you read a hunting story where the guy says"i took off all my jewelry and left it in camp"
Who the f2ck is this guy.Wayne Newton?An Elvis clone?
Fly in,whackem` and fly out.And a $2700 pizza.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Sad. Helicopters can easily destroy fair chase when used for hunting. Endless differences between the capabilities of fixed wing aircraft and helicopters. Good reasons for limiting their use In BC.

Did you even read what I wrote ... a Fixed wing airplane(Ultralight .. cub etc...) can land in a smaller feild than most helicoptors can ... with a 6 hour dis-embarkation rule ... even if I fly a Beaver into a lake that has a monster moose on shore foraging .. I still hafta wait 6 hours before I can throw a round at it

what differance would it make if I were in a 206 on Pontoons ... or a Beaver on floats?

rcar
03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Personally I like BC's no Helo hunting.

The Dawg
03-25-2013, 02:23 PM
And I can still drive up to and shoot a moose with no wait

Geo.338
03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
There should be a 48 hr wait time for chopper hunts . If this were allowed in BC every sheep and goat hill would be decimated . A chopper can drop a hunter of without even landing . At least with fixed wing there needs to be a suitable patch to land and take off .

BC The best place on earth ......... to hunt !

r106
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
There should be a 48 hr wait time for chopper hunts . If this were allowed in BC every sheep and goat hill would be decimated . A chopper can drop a hunter of without even landing . At least with fixed wing there needs to be a suitable patch to land and take off .

I agree. For sheep and goat hunting a helicopter would give a huge advantage

butcher
03-25-2013, 03:19 PM
No offense but if you never hunted or guided from a heli then you have no idea how hard it can be. I have and it was one of the most physically demanding hunts I have done.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-25-2013, 03:21 PM

I can see that point with respect to sheep and goats (honestly they never entered my mind as I am not much of a sheep/goat type hunter_Not a big fan of the meat)... but I was reffering Moose and elk .. like whats depicted in the OP?
That said however ... whats the time limit when hunting goat and sheep ... 6 hours? Its not difficult to air search and with the proper A/C find a suitable location within 6 hours hike to set down in alot of cases ... the advantage would be with a 'copter is that one can conceivably set down within sight of the quarry and keep it within sight for the next 6 hours... if the blade slap hasnt scared the shit out of everything in the area that is

tangozulu
03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
I aggree......................hangin that lanyard around an entire bull moose so a Long Ranger can deliver it in 1 piece is pretty dam tough.
What do these guys know? Some guys (who wear even less jewlery) sometimes even pass up a big bull cause they can't possibly get it out of the bush. How do they still call themselves hunters?

No offense but if you never hunted or guided from a heli then you have no idea how hard it can be. I have and it was one of the most physically demanding hunts I have done.

rcar
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM

Yeah but not as physically demanding as it would be if you spent 4 days hiking into get your animal....then hiking out with it. I believe the idea of no Heli hunting is to protect the Sheep and Goats.

butcher
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
If you think a long ranger is going to long line a moose out of a swamp or burn or middle of a river you got another thing coming. I have spent many hours packing meat out of the bush or the mountains until 10 at night or 2 or 4 in the morning. Those machines get used just like a plane and one most certainly does not set down within sight of a sheep or goat and wait the alloted 12 hours. Sheep and goats don't like big noisy birds coming at them out of the sky.

The one thing you may have a point on is the hunting ability and bushcraft of the clientele. Most are just trigger men who want only to kill and move on. The guides, however, are forced to do the work of 2 or more hunters. I have worked waaay harder on these hunts than hiking in for a couple days to sheep and goat country. And yes I have done some multi day packs to get in and out of sheep and goat country.

kitnayakwa77
03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Personally I like BC's no Helo hunting.
Agree! Heli-hunting seems lame to me.

tangozulu
03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I aggree. Pretty sure the diamond drills that get long lined out of the swamps around here weigh less than that awsome bull moose.
While the helicopter is a bit harder to move a drill than a good old trapper nelson packboard, it does save time and heck you never know when you might need some emergency beer and pizza.
The story was all about persevering in the face of hardship with the fire and all. I suspect the pizza was cold after an hour long charter.

If you think a long ranger is going to long line a moose out of a swamp or burn or middle of a river you got another thing coming. I have spent many hours packing meat out of the bush or the mountains until 10 at night or 2 or 4 in the morning. Those machines get used just like a plane and one most certainly does not set down within sight of a sheep or goat and wait the alloted 12 hours. Sheep and goats don't like big noisy birds coming at them out of the sky.

The one thing you may have a point on is the hunting ability and bushcraft of the clientele. Most are just trigger men who want only to kill and move on. The guides, however, are forced to do the work of 2 or more hunters. I have worked waaay harder on these hunts than hiking in for a couple days to sheep and goat country. And yes I have done some multi day packs to get in and out of sheep and goat country.

BiG Boar
03-25-2013, 06:13 PM

I could imagine how hard it would be. All that up and down motion isn't exactly easy on the old tummy!

You're telling me about physically demanding chopper hunts! I couldn't imagine having to walk ALL the way to the landing area. I'm glad they don't allow chopper hunting in BC. I mean why make it harder than it already is, right?

gitnadoix
03-25-2013, 07:43 PM
No offense but if you never hunted or guided from a heli then you have no idea how hard it can be. I have and it was one of the most physically demanding hunts I have done. ?????????????????????????????????????????????? Well having spent more time in those things than I care too, I have no idea how you have come to that conclusion..... I have flown over hundreds of moose durring hunting season, many of the times been able to see a moose and hunters some times only 100 yards apart and the hunters having no idea of the moose pressence. Have also flown over areas and counted almost 100 moose in 20 minutes. Helicopters are not allowed for good reason it would make it like shopping for any one with money, no challenge to it. If you found it hard work...you did it wrong "no offence "

Amphibious
03-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Did you even read what I wrote ... a Fixed wing airplane(Ultralight .. cub etc...) can land in a smaller feild than most helicoptors can ... with a 6 hour dis-embarkation rule ... even if I fly a Beaver into a lake that has a monster moose on shore foraging .. I still hafta wait 6 hours before I can throw a round at it

what differance would it make if I were in a 206 on Pontoons ... or a Beaver on floats?

First off I wasn't commenting on your post. Second, you obviously know nothing about the capabilities of helicopters. The last hole i dropped guys off in with my 500 was barely 60'' wide. Try getting a Super Cub in there. I don't even have to land to let people off.

If you think a long ranger is going to long line a moose out of a swamp or burn or middle of a river you got another thing coming. .

Hook limit on a longdog is 2000lbs, lets say a conservative useful load is 1500lbs. gutted moose is doable, quarteted in a net for sure. I don't fly the 206L so maybe i'm way off base. they move drills with them....

Sheep and goats don't like big noisy birds coming at them out of the sky.

Flown around goats more then a few times. They usually just sit on their rocks and watch.

Amphibious
03-26-2013, 05:06 AM
http://www.actsofvolition.com/file/moose.jpg

tater
03-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Talk to anyone in the rotary industry in BC who worked remotely in the 60's and 70's and early 80's they'll tell you about using helicopters in ways that got them banned. A lot of aerial shots on sheep and moose, as well as slinging out game (and yes, a 206 is more than capable of slinging a moose).
Camp meat being obtained by flyovers, rich clients filling sheep tags without ever hiking a step. Long list of BS.

I remember talking to one pilot who filled his moose tag every year AFTER the ban from a K-Max. His answer: "Who's gonna catch me?".

It was banned here for a good reason, and i hope to never see it return.

bcyukonair
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
First off I wasn't commenting on your post. Second, you obviously know nothing about the capabilities of helicopters. The last hole i dropped guys off in with my 500 was barely 60'' wide. Try getting a Super Cub in there. I don't even have to land to let people off.

Hook limit on a longdog is 2000lbs, lets say a conservative useful load is 1500lbs. gutted moose is doable, quarteted in a net for sure. I don't fly the 206L so maybe i'm way off base. they move drills with them....

Flown around goats more then a few times. They usually just sit on their rocks and watch.

when ever i have flown around goats & sheep in fixed wing or heli they are doing a hundred mph terrified the big bird is going to get them.running falling ,probably braking an ankle or leg occasionaly.

Blair
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Gosh, I hope he didn' lose his makeup in the fire too.

Gateholio
03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Yeah the jewelry thing is pretty funny. :)

choppers could be used ethically with strict regulations, but the problem is- they won't be.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Yeah the jewelry thing is pretty funny. :)

choppers could be used ethically with strict regulations, but the problem is- they won't be.

I see what your saying Gate ... But I need to ask you with all due respect .. as somewhat a brain on Firearms ...

the exact same statement can be made with respect to firearms ... exchange the word "choppers" for "Firearms" ...

lets take that a little further and state Handguns .... Perfectly legal to hunt with in many jurisdictions ... just not in Canada
so ..

"Handguns could be used ethically with strict regulations, but the problem is- they won't be"
If someone were to say that .. you would be pissed and ready to hit that Ban button ... and you everyone else here knows that

So while diverting off topic a bit here ... I ask,Whats the differance?

My point is ... when you make statements like that Clarke ... you seem to painting with a similar brush and stroke as most Antis ...

Fella
03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Aaaaand I'm no longer interested in this thread.

heyblast
03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Wasn't aware that helicopters were not allowed. Just assumed they would be used for fly in hunts but after reading all the posts I can see the abuse that would happen and agree with them not being allowed. As for the jewelry what I see is the loss of the elk ring, a trophy from his first elk. No different than if your house burnt down and you lost your trophy mounts.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Wasn't aware that helicopters were not allowed. Just assumed they would be used for fly in hunts but after reading all the posts I can see the abuse that would happen and agree with them not being allowed. As for the jewelry what I see is the loss of the elk ring, a trophy from his first elk. No different than if your house burnt down and you lost your trophy mounts.

perhaps you should read regulations a bit better .. page 18 #25 under "Its Unlawfull to...."

Gateholio
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
Trying....to decipher.....what.....bowzone........mikey.....is trying to.....say?

r106
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
I see what your saying Gate ... But I need to ask you with all due respect .. as somewhat a brain on Firearms ...

the exact same statement can be made with respect to firearms ... exchange the word "choppers" for "Firearms" ...

lets take that a little further and state Handguns .... Perfectly legal to hunt with in many jurisdictions ... just not in Canada
so ..

"Handguns could be used ethically with strict regulations, but the problem is- they won't be"
If someone were to say that .. you would be pissed and ready to hit that Ban button ... and you everyone else here knows that

So while diverting off topic a bit here ... I ask,Whats the differance?

My point is ... when you make statements like that Clarke ... you seem to painting with a similar brush and stroke as most Antis ...

You want to know the difference between a handgun and a helicopter?

Bowzone_Mikey
03-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Trying....to decipher.....what.....bowzone........mikey.....is trying to.....say?

because logic doesnt make any sense to you?
You have advocated for handguns to be used for hunting, but Ethics police say no, you have provided much info as why they should be allowed
yet ...
when it comes to 'Copters you state above that they would not be used ethically even with a 6 hour hour minimum.

Seems like a wide brush

who is to say that the 6 hour minum is adheared to by all people in Fixed wing, I will bet everthing I own that its not, and I personally think that you are smart enough to agree with that statement, so, are you stating that all aircraft use should be banned for the purposes of hunting? Because it certainly sounds like it.

r106
03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
You comparing Apples to Oranges ^^^^

r106
03-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Hunting with the use of a helicopter = advantage hunter. Hunting with the use of a handgun = same disadvantage as a bow hunter compared to rifle hunter. Why would you even bring this up in this conversation? is your intent starting a useless argument that has nothing to do with the topic?

Bowzone_Mikey
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
You have all sorts of Fail dont you ...
My point as I already stated, is that one of the most prominant members of this site is comdemning a perfectly legal activity in other jurisdictions yet illegal here in BC based soley upon "Ethics"

I could use the baiting arguement too ... Baiting of bears is illegal in BC .. yet legal most everywhere else ... baiting of ungulates is legal in BC .. yet illegal in other jurisdictions.

but you seem intent upon helicopters ... why is using a Fixed wing A/C legal and Helios not? because of a perceived advantage? you can shoot from a Coptor? I have seen some pretty fricken amazing shots from a Fixed wing A/C as well
Because you can land close to animals? Good luck with that , you can do the same with fixed wings too,

Impose the same 6 hour dis-emabarkment rule as fixed wings , hell make it 12, and it will be fine

308Lover
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
It's interesting that a helicopter assisted with the hunt. Don't try that around here without a thorough check of the regs and info from Wildlife dept.

In the past you would have to register any flight carrying hunters and/or meat/equipment etc. to prevent actually shooting from the sky (not really likely) but game has been spotted--the copter lands and you shoot.Just as bad in the eyes of BC laws. Don't know current regs. but would be interested.

r106
03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
You have all sorts of Fail dont you ...

I'll walk away from this one. Note my sig line for the reason

Hunt-4-Life
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Hunting with the use of a helicopter = advantage hunter. Hunting with the use of a handgun = same disadvantage as a bow hunter compared to rifle hunter.

Exactly. I have never hunted with either type of A/C but have spent a considerable amount of time in a helo through work. I could have had some very easy moose with the aid if a helo. It makes scouting too easy and is not fair chase in my opinion.

Gateholio
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
]
because logic doesnt make any sense to you?

I"m fine with logic. What I have trouble understanding is most of your posts. You seem to put together a jumble of random thoughts and separate them with.......and this........ and then throw a few more random ones in there, hit enter, and expect a cohesive response.

You have advocated for handguns to be used for hunting, but Ethics police say no, you have provided much info as why they should be allowed
yet ...
when it comes to 'Copters you state above that they would not be used ethically even with a 6 hour hour minimum.

Seems like a wide brush

who is to say that the 6 hour minum is adheared to by all people in Fixed wing, I will bet everthing I own that its not, and I personally think that you are smart enough to agree with that statement, so, are you stating that all aircraft use should be banned for the purposes of hunting? Because it certainly sounds like it.

This is still disjointed but I think I get your drift...

First, the difference between your examples (handgun hunting, baiting) and how they compare to the use of helicopters in hunting.

Handgun hunting and baiting is an easy enforcement issue, very black and white. It's either legal or it's not. Aircraft is not going to be black and white. It's going to depend on how they are used and by whom. As you noted, there is already abuse that takes place with fixed wing aircraft, and the abuse would also happen with a chopper, except the end result could be much more damaging to wildlife.

When I said that choppers could be used with strict regulations, I didn't just mean the 6 hour rule. All sorts of different regulations would need to be put into place to restrict where they could operate and land due to impacts on wildlife, both intentional (hunting) and non intentional (the disruptive effects chopper landings can have on goats and sheep)

If helicopters were limited to landing only in areas that a supercub or float plane could access, it really wouldn't be an issue. But what we will end up seeing is guys dropping off goat hunters on an end of a ridge so they can have a leisurely 6 hour stroll over to the goats and shoot down on them and then get picked up by their pilot. The net result would be an over harvest of goats/sheep.

Sure, other areas allow helicopters for hunting, and it probably works just fine for them. NWT probably because of the remoteness guarantees a lack of hunting pressure and NZ because the species they hunt are not indigenous and they have no predators. Just because another area is able to have a sustainable hunt using choppers does not = BC is able to do it.

Handgun hunting is illegal in BC simply for paper political reasons. Choppers are illegal due to real conservation issues. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

heyblast
03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
PERHAPS I SHOULD READ REGULATIONS BETTER! Not much use for air craft waterfowl hunting so I really don't give a ---- about your trophy hunting bow man

dutchie
03-31-2013, 09:15 AM
PERHAPS I SHOULD READ REGULATIONS BETTER! Not much use for air craft waterfowl hunting so I really don't give a ---- about your trophy hunting bow man

maybe in your area there is no use for them, but in the flat lands of BC there is a HUGE advantage. SCOUTING!!! Helo's are the same as are fixed wing for big game scouting, but Helo's are far superior when it comes to dropping you off. 12 hours of wait times but you still do not have to hike in a far.

The advantage for a Helo is that you can land, obviosly, and take off vertically which makes a massive difference, rather then flying into a lake or a a flat spot on a mountain range.

There is a reason people still have to hike 15 km when you fly in with a cub or a beaver... Helo's can drop you right there.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq187/jamesmramor/032-2.jpg this ledge was about 15 foot wide and 30 foot long in a canyon and the rotors are about 10 feet from the canyon sidewall. tell me that is not an advantage...

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq187/jamesmramor/034.jpg Landed...

Helos can and will be able to drop you on a pin... fixed wing do not have this versatility.

Dutchie

Gateholio
04-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Just watched an episode of Driven and they were using choppers for caribou hunting. It appears to me that they spotted the caribou from the air, then landed a fair distance away and then did a stalk on them. Then the used the choppers to sling the caribou back to camp. I'm not sure how much fun that would actually be, but it's a good way to get a number of caribou on the ground in short order I guess.