PDA

View Full Version : should removal of bear meat be mandatory

kebes
03-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Hypothetical question to stir the pot a bit. If it was your call what would it be and why?

troutseeker
03-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Pretty unanimous so far, lol.

boxhitch
03-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes , it's proper utilization. May be arguable if everyone killed bears for furs on their own backs , but not these days.

bruin
03-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Aside from the ethical use of animals. When we don't remove meat, its a pretty indefensible position politically.

moose2
03-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I voted NO for the following reasons.
I think the bear population has the potential to get out of hand ( in the North anyways ) many people wanting meat will chose a moose, elk or deer that can be fairly easy to get. I don't know of too many locals that take the time to hunt bears up this way. If they brought back the one quarter rule for black bears or just leave as meat of choice more hide hunters may start harvesting bears again. The remainder of the carcass could be watched for wolf activity and maybe a few of those could be taken as well. Also bear carcasses left in the woods in the spring will feed other bears. Helping to keep them full and ease the pressure on the calves and fawns born in the spring. I know not everyone one will agree, but studies have been done and some states even have feeding programs using road kill for spring bears for this reason.
Mike

ufishifish2
03-23-2013, 11:12 PM
I voted "Yes" simply because I was taught that a person should eat what they shoot and so far I have always done so including bears.
They are living animals, not vegetables from the garden. I don't believe I would be respecting the life I have taken if I didn't utilize what meat I could, even if I only fed it to the dog!!!
Maybe its a bit of a stubborn answer but so be it!

Pioneerman
03-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Yes it is good meat even though some don't think so. I have always been of the belief if I kill it I eat it. If you don't want the meat others will , why not offer it up to someone who would appreciate it.

Surrey Boy
03-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Bears, especially black bears, are not in any danger of overharvest. They prey on other animals which are sensitive to overharvest. They cause traffic accidents because they don't look both ways before crossing the road. Shoot a bear, do as you will. You won't be shooting the last one.

hunter1947
03-24-2013, 03:43 AM
I am a firm believer you eat what you shoot or don't shoot the animal..

Gateholio
03-24-2013, 05:47 AM
The meat retention laws for black bear was put into place for political reasons, to appease anti hunters. They are predators of calves and fawns, and we shoudl be looking at ways to increase bear hunting, like some of Alaska, where they have open season on all bears of any age and no retention rules.

I eat bear meat but if dropping the retention rules increased bear hunting, it would be a good thing. Realistically, the rules aren't really tough to get around if you wanted to anyway. Put bear in truck. Drive home. Turn around, go to dump.

6 K
03-24-2013, 06:15 AM
All you guys who are of the "eat what you shoot" and "it's good meat" opinion should have a mouth full of a blackie from around my area. One mouth full would be all it would take to convince you other wise. That is of course once the vomiting ceased and your eye site returned.:roll:
Grain and green fed bear might be reasonable table fare, spawning salmon fed briuns are not. Period end of disscussion.

I have a friend who grinds it into dog food. But I would still shoot more blackies if I didn't have to waste the time with meat I can not eat.

jtred
03-24-2013, 06:35 AM
This spring will be my first time bear hunting(I've been hunting deer/grouse/water fowl/ elk/etc since I was old enough to walk along with dad, about 34 years) and if I find the meat not to my liking I won't be hunting them again. So yes I believe and have always been taught to shoot only what I will eat. I do break this rule with coyotes and I would probably shoot a wolf if I ever see one again.

bigwhiteys
03-24-2013, 06:54 AM
I voted No. There is no Conservation Concern with Black Bears and the meat removal requirement was a politically motivated decision. I've killed a few black bears and been in on many more. I do not believe they are good table fare (I've tried). My dog however thinks it's a delicacy and will destroy bowl after bowl of bear meat stew, slurping back the worms like spaghetti noodles. 1 average sized bear lasts her several months.

If you want to take the skull/hide and leave the meat then I don't see an issue. It's probably better to leave the bear in the ecosystem from which it came then removing it and taking it to the dump.

BromBones
03-24-2013, 07:44 AM
There are a few good uses I get out of bear (meat, dog food, trapping bait, fat) but no, shouldn't be mandatory.

I like bear meat (off a good bear), but if it's a stinky old worm bear I'd just as soon leave it for the scavengers to have a good feed on. I've taken rank ones and hung the quarters up in areas where I trap marten. I'd say that's ethical use of the meat.

I think black bears are just an oversized rodent and are getting pretty heavily populated. They shitkick the moose calves and take a few deer fawns, and should be thinned out.

Brett
03-24-2013, 07:55 AM
will take black bear meat, will not take Grizz meat.

TheProvider
03-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Ok I'll takr bait.

Yes, last thing we need is anti hunters and non hunters coming across dead bears with just the head lopped off so someone can have a skull. But then again many bear hunters get to experience "ground shrinkage" so a lot of skulls will be left. Add that to the fact that many bears are shot on forestry roads or within 100yrds of them. That can add up to a lot of dead bears being found by non hunters.

"Its too much work to take the meat." or "I don't have enough time to take the meat and process." Are poor excuses in my opinion.

I have heard people say they don't like deer meat from bush and swamp deer. So should we also although deer hunters who do not hunt anywhere close to farmland to just take the antlers? After all they may not like the taste.

I have heard guys talk about how wormy and gross bear meat is. Then find out that they have never actually tried it. They go by what others have said. How often do we see or hear questions from hunters specially new hunters asking if bear meat is edible. Plain and simple give it a try. How game meat taste does come down to itsvdiet. But also how the meat is taken care of from the time its shot to the time its on the dinner plate. I have had bear meat that was process by a friend and I couldnt eat it. It made me gag. Opened the lossely wrapped freezer paper to find the steaks covered in hair. He skinn the bear and simply taken off roasts and then ran thevrest through a band saw. The piece of bone was still in my piece I had been given. I removed hair and bone before cooking it and couldnt even swallow one bite.

Field dress your game correctly. If you arent sure if you'll like the meat. Find a butcher who has experience with bear and have it madevinto sausage and smokies. After trying it you can decide on your own if you want to get roasts and steaks made with your next bear. Or perhaps you wont like it and you may decide not to shoot another. I take great care we game meat when in the bush. I have introduced approximately 20 ppl to bear meat. That includes steak, roasts and sausage. I haven't had one person say they dont like it. Most ask if they can have some for thier freezer.

All I ask is to try it for yourself before making up your mind. But if you dont like it and someone ask you whether or not its edible. Instead of saying no why not just encourage them to try it.

BCBRAD
03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
A few years back, well more than a few, you were allowed 5 black bears per year. No retention rules at all. There were/are lots of black bears around. In the day we used to do a lot of walking and if you came across a black bear it was 'bagged' and the hams pulled off it . Also , bears didn't bother you in camp either. The gov't used to view hunters as management participants, under this view there should be no thought of how an animal is managed (eg: spot and stalk, over bait, run 'em down with your truck). Just as in farming , no one 'public' tells the farmer how to manage his herd.
We don't want to go the way off Ontario with them eliminating the spring season. 5 a year and no retention is the way to go especially in spring season when the ungulates are at risk. Bears used to respect us now they act like street niggaz.

Ron.C
03-24-2013, 08:16 AM
I wonder how many guys that say that it immoral not to eat everything they shoot would shoot a wolf or coyote, and remove all edible portions?

Brett
03-24-2013, 08:21 AM
A few years back, well more than a few, you were allowed 5 black bears per year. No retention rules at all. There were/are lots of black bears around. In the day we used to do a lot of walking and if you came across a black bear it was 'bagged' and the hams pulled off it . Also , bears didn't bother you in camp either. The gov't used to view hunters as management participants, under this view there should be no thought of how an animal is managed (eg: spot and stalk, over bait, run 'em down with your truck). Just as in farming , no one 'public' tells the farmer how to manage his herd.
We don't want to go the way off Ontario with them eliminating the spring season. 5 a year and no retention is the way to go especially in spring season when the ungulates are at risk. Bears used to respect us now they act like street niggaz.

Thanks!! I just spat coffee all over my laptop!!

dana
03-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Change the question a bit. Would you be willing to give in and actually remove the meat of grizzly bears in an effort to keep the grizzly hunt????? My answer is 100% yes!!! While I don't think ethically removing the meat of a predator is neccessary, politically it is getting that way. Not that hard to deal with the meat post harvest. For the little bit of work it takes to pack it out, I'd gladly do it in an effort to appease the masses that are against the so-called 'trophy' hunting aspect of bears.

kgs
03-24-2013, 08:33 AM
I voted "Yes" simply because I was taught that a person should eat what they shoot and so far I have always done so including bears.
They are living animals, not vegetables from the garden. I don't believe I would be respecting the life I have taken if I didn't utilize what meat I could, even if I only fed it to the dog!!!
Maybe its a bit of a stubborn answer but so be it!

I feel the same way.

Steeleco
03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
To allow a hunter to hunt a bear and not take the meat will be of little consequence to the bear population. IMHO. While I eat every bear we shoot, I'd have to think that a person was to want a bear for a rug, they'd be very picky and when they did get the "one" how many more would they need?

The population can take it in my view. If the government wants more hunting of black bears, up the seasonal limit, reduce the price of tags and allow them that want too, to take the hide only.
If things look like they're getting out of control, revert the rules of today.

If the meat needs to be retained, there should be a way for the hide hunter to donate the meat? Win Win!!

03-24-2013, 08:51 AM
For the little bit of work it takes to pack it out, I'd gladly do it in an effort to appease the masses that are against the so-called 'trophy' hunting aspect of bears.

The work packing out is nothing, but there is NO appeasing the anti's, plain and simple. If the reason we are conducting ourselves in the manner in which we are is being dictated by those against our hunting pastime, it's just a matter of time before we aren't hunting! Existing gov't policy works for me. That said, spring bear hunting until recently was more of an outing and fun time, not worrying to much about harvesting any bears. Have shot a few, tried a roast that was absolutely perfect as far as wild meat preparation goes, but it just didn't do it for us. Recently my wife has taken to making dog treats with bear meat, so the hunt with intention to harvest is back.

BCBRAD
03-24-2013, 08:54 AM
The work packing out is nothing, but there is NO appeasing the anti's, plain and simple. If the reason we are conducting ourselves in the manner in which we are is being dictated by those against our hunting pastime, it's just a matter of time before we aren't hunting! Existing gov't policy works for me. That said, spring bear hunting until recently was more of an outing and fun time, not worrying to much about harvesting any bears. Have shot a few, tried a roast that was absolutely perfect as far as wild meat preparation goes, but it just didn't do it for us. Recently my wife has taken to making dog treats with bear meat, so the hunt with intention to harvest is back.

Excellent assessment of the situation!

TheProvider
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Mandatory to remove edible meat or hide.

Another thing is a lot of people only want to shoot a massive 7'. They want an ancient old boar. People even get bashed at for shooting younger ones around 5'. Not always true but whixh one is likely to taste better? Sepcially for bear who's main diet is fish.

For population control. Its hard to control a population of a predator species when hunters are frowned upon for shooting younger/smaller bears or legal sows. Specially when its very common for sows to have two young and its becoming even more common to have 3.

Brambles
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
I hope everyone who plays the ethical card also eats every bit of the raven, coyote, wolf, skunk, porcupine, mouse, rat, bobcat, lynx, and cougar they kill as well.

I agree that you should maximize meat usage on ungulates, animals like coyote, wolf, bobcat and lynx arn't generally shot for meat, I know some guys do and I have personally eaten cougar and it's decent enough. But these are animals that are hunted for predator control and hides, plain and simple.

For some reason bears have received a higher status, even though they are a predator. There will also be LOTS of guys who will still remove all the meat. I know lots of people who love bear meat.

Its a tough call, I don't normally like to see something usefull go to waste but I also think more people need to hunt bears.

dana
03-24-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm not talking about appeasing the antis. I'm talking about appeasing the general public. Huge difference there. I know lots and lots of people who don't hunt but have no problem with the idea of hunting. They do however have a huge problem with the so-called trophy hunt epecially when it comes to grizzly bears. I really believe if we as hunters gave in and accepted the removal of meat as a fact of appeasal for the masses (the majority of the voting public) then we wouldn't constantly have to battle with the issue in the media and the threat of loosing the grizzly hunt will diminish from the constant spotlight. All one needs to look back in history to see what happened with black bears. In the late 80's and early 90's the Bear Watch folk were constantly in the media saying black bears were almost extinct blah blah blah. Hunters were the bad guys because we could harvest 5 bears a year just for hides and no meat. The gov't appeased the public and the meat removal regs came in and the yearly baglimit dropped from 5 to 2. While some antis have tried to bring up the black bear hunt as an issue in the last 20 years, the general public has no problem with it and the antis have not gained much ground on stopping the black bear hunt.

log_roller
03-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Id rather eat a sewer rat over a bear

The Hermit
03-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Dana expressed my thoughts exactly. Like it or not our hunting privileges are under constant attack... maybe the BCWF should bring a proposal forward in a proactive (defensive) move.

boxhitch
03-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Would you be willing to give in and actually remove the meat of grizzly bears in an effort to keep the grizzly hunt?????iirc GOABC proposed that in one of their press releases years ago over the GBear coastal hunt.

Hunters that think they can carry on without regard for public opinion have their heads stuck in the sand. Yeah , we can all type away and tell them to piss up a rope , but in reality we are constantly fighting for the right to hunt and trap and always will be. So why fight the issue ? Cut off the legs and backstraps , and take them home. End use can vary.
The regs state you don't have to take the hide for BBears

All hunters and trappers have to work on this stuff together. One group can't be fighting for the right to hunt under the 'predator'' flag while another group wants changes to kill under the 'fur-bearers' flag , while the bone-collector group wants skulls only under the 'pirate' flag. The current rule works for all , and is easy to comply with.

aggiehunter
03-24-2013, 10:56 AM
if I'm right I believe in the old days it was just the hinds...now I could agree with that...

Hillbros_96
03-24-2013, 11:44 AM
I voted no, but this is my first year for bear in BC after hunting my entire life in Alberta. Definitely have to be more picky in Alberta as you have to utilize the hide. So you really need to want the hide before you go out after one. I was also blessed living and hunting in farming communities were you only needed permission from the farmer to take a bear. So a tag was not neccesary.

Surrey Boy
03-24-2013, 11:49 AM

How eloquently articulated!

TyTy
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I have carried a bear tag for the last 3 years, hunt them, and have passed up many decent bears.I have yet to shoot my first. I have never tried bear meat. I support a hunting bears, and feel there is a bit of a higher standard of ethics to adhere to, being bears are kinda even with humans in the food chain, ie. large omnivore, can be dangerous. So when I do shoot one, I will do my best to do it right, ive done my homework. going to be selective and hold out for that special one, a big boar that I could rug and was hoping to put hams and backstraps into pepperoni. That way if I dont enjoy the overall experience, I wont go bear hunting again, but ill have a nice rug hopefully.

I think that mandatory removal of the meat might weed out some of the less than ethical bear hunters out there. despose of the carcass properly after u get it to a residence, if u must ``trophy`` hunt.

TyTy
03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
Bears, especially black bears, are not in any danger of overharvest. They prey on other animals which are sensitive to overharvest. They cause traffic accidents because they don't look both ways before crossing the road. Shoot a bear, do as you will. You won't be shooting the last one.

I think this is a poor attitude to take towards bear hunting. I say gonhunt a bear and do right by your harvest, not do as you will.

look what happen in QCI for example. rampant harvest will not win public favour

bruin
03-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I try not to rant on this forum very much but i think leaving bear meat in the bush is very short sighted. You think bears are over populated now? What do you think it will look like when the season is shut down because a boat full of Vancouverites on a viewing tour came across a few rotting grizz carcasses on a grassflat and it hits Global News? How do you defend that position? And even if you think you have an argument, do you think the general population will listen? Who cares if its political, it's a pre-emtive, strategic move. We're about to be governed by the NDP, do you think they're on our side? Take the meat, feed it to you dog, grind it into pepperoni, give it to a friend, advertise it on HBC, who cares. It's in our best interest! The trophy hunting argument is the anti's biggest tool right now. So take it away from them. If you're too lazy to carry it out, or you don't like the way it tastes, tough cookies, stay home, don't threaten our right to hunt. Oh, and for goodness sake, don't take it to the dump!

TyTy
03-24-2013, 12:34 PM
One day I would like to hunt a grizzly. And when that time arrives, i really want there to be a realistic opportunity for me to do just that.

Surrey Boy
03-24-2013, 12:41 PM
I think this is a poor attitude to take towards bear hunting. I say gonhunt a bear and do right by your harvest, not do as you will.

look what happen in QCI for example. rampant harvest will not win public favour

The general public doesn't know it when I bring little Booboo home and grind him up like Sweeney Todd. I don't give off a negative impression of hunting to strangers.

But the law as it stands doesn't need to be tightened. Some here shoot ungulates for the rack, others for the meat. I'm just happy to see them out hunting.

We all have glass in our house, so why start throwing stones?

lorneparker1
03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
I try not to rant on this forum very much but i think leaving bear meat in the bush is very short sighted. You think bears are over populated now? What do you think it will look like when the season is shut down because a boat full of Vancouverites on a viewing tour came across a few rotting grizz carcasses on a grassflat and it hits Global News? How do you defend that position? And even if you think you have an argument, do you think the general population will listen? Who cares if its political, it's a pre-emtive, strategic move. We're about to be governed by the NDP, do you think they're on our side? Take the meat, feed it to you dog, grind it into pepperoni, give it to a friend, advertise it on HBC, who cares. It's in our best interest! The trophy hunting argument is the anti's biggest tool right now. So take it away from them. If you're too lazy to carry it out, or you don't like the way it tastes, tough cookies, stay home, don't threaten our right to hunt. Oh, and for goodness sake, don't take it to the dump! Great post and I agree 100%

ACE
03-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Mandatory to remove edible meat or hide.

Another thing is a lot of people only want to shoot a massive 7'. They want an ancient old boar. People even get bashed at for shooting younger ones around 5'. Not always true but whixh one is likely to taste better? Sepcially for bear who's main diet is fish.

For population control. Its hard to control a population of a predator species when hunters are frowned upon for shooting younger/smaller bears or legal sows. Specially when its very common for sows to have two young and its becoming even more common to have 3.

When we were sending pre-molars in for aging ...... 16yr. old - 20 3/16 ....... berry patch fed, delicious! Old school here, take the meat. Personally, I don't care for Ursus steak or roast, but love it ground and stew meat.

Surrey Boy
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I've always used both the meat and hide. I don't trophy hunt in any sense. But I support those who do, and I support the freedom to take or leave what's yours as you choose.

Sounds much the same as hunters who would ban handguns and black rifles in Canada. How about Harley riders who say crotch rockets are too dangerous for the street? Sailors and fishermen wanting restrictions on speedboats? Crossbows anyone?

Brambles
03-24-2013, 03:05 PM
I try not to rant on this forum very much but i think leaving bear meat in the bush is very short sighted. You think bears are over populated now? What do you think it will look like when the season is shut down because a boat full of Vancouverites on a viewing tour came across a few rotting grizz carcasses on a grassflat and it hits Global News? How do you defend that position? And even if you think you have an argument, do you think the general population will listen? Who cares if its political, it's a pre-emtive, strategic move. We're about to be governed by the NDP, do you think they're on our side? Take the meat, feed it to you dog, grind it into pepperoni, give it to a friend, advertise it on HBC, who cares. It's in our best interest! The trophy hunting argument is the anti's biggest tool right now. So take it away from them. If you're too lazy to carry it out, or you don't like the way it tastes, tough cookies, stay home, don't threaten our right to hunt. Oh, and for goodness sake, don't take it to the dump!

As a point of clarification!

Your Not required to take grizz meat out of the bush as it sits now so the vancouverites on their site seeing missions have had plenty of time to make their discoveries.

I personally either use or donate bear meat when I shoot them.

Wade
03-24-2013, 05:10 PM
I was taught that you take what ever you shoot, like most of us right. When you take an animal and you remover it from the bush, your taking away food from animals that would have fed off that carcass if it died of old age. Nothing goes to waste in the bush.

kennyj
03-24-2013, 06:16 PM
If I kill it, I eat it!
kenny

Moose Guide
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
We used to have lots of bear hunters here, now we have 1 or 2 and are over run with bears. I believe you can be charged with allowing the edible portions to spoil if you throw th bear away once you have taken it home.

Gateholio
03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
We used to have lots of bear hunters here, now we have 1 or 2 and are over run with bears. I believe you can be charged with allowing the edible portions to spoil if you throw th bear away once you have taken it home.

Nope, you can't. Once you legally kill and animal and get it home, it's your property and you can do what you like with it- with the exception of selling it.

gitnadoix
03-24-2013, 07:45 PM
I say yes and it of course only an opinion, and for two reasons.

1) Black bear meat is excellent table fare......when not feasting on salmon. But those areas ya just have to hunt them before the fish run so there is ways around it.

2) Sad as it may sound, I do fear that the shooting for hides only could be the small wedge that the anti's need to use to get the non hunters who are not interested, interested in casting a vote......sad to say but thats the selfish reason....

6.5x55
03-24-2013, 08:24 PM
unfortunately the once opportunity to take hide or hams was lost as a result of the asian trade in bear galls. If the current regs didn't exist there would be a wholesale slaughter out there. What I've got a problem with is the required retention of coyote pelts as there should be a bounty on the buggers.

finngun
03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
If I kill it, I eat it!
kenny
do yu shoot wolf or coyote at all:confused::-D tasty?

boxhitch
03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
What I've got a problem with is the required retention of coyote peltsAgain , easy to comply with , and works in with trappers rules , and we're all in this together.

brian
03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
I hate the word mandatory, but I said yes because it gives us an easy retort when a naive anti says its only a trophy hunt and that nobody eats bear.

aggiehunter
03-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Log Roller..OMG..I saw that some where...what the eff are you feeding your bears if you'd rather eat a sewer rat....

aggiehunter
03-24-2013, 09:46 PM
oh and a PS to that..you guys keep apologizing for somebody leaving goose carcass's near a shrubster trail...imagine the backsplash from some dead bear bodies left in the bush...16 times 9 would be on scene for sure...

buck nash
03-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Re: should removal of bear meat be mandatory

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bruinhttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1307753#post1307753)

"As a point of clarification!

Your Not required to take grizz meat out of the bush as it sits now so the vancouverites on their site seeing missions have had plenty of time to make their discoveries.

I personally either use or donate bear meat when I shoot them."

This is exactly why the anti's have gained so much traction re the the grizz hunt compared to the b bear hunt.

bruin
03-24-2013, 10:51 PM
As a point of clarification!

I personally either use or donate bear meat when I shoot them.

I'm aware of that Jeff. It has happened before and it will only take once under the right conditions and the right people to create a political sh!tstorm!

sawmill
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I shot a lot of blacks and 2 grizz,my house burned and took the mounts(and all my rifles and everything else too).I never ate the bears and felt horrible when I lost them.At least I ate the moose and deer.I`ll never again shoot what I ain`t going to eat.That was 12 years ago and I stick to it.I don`t shoot wolves,coyotes or cougars or gophers either,just my choice.I don`t kill stuff just to kill stuff.I`ll take a doe or a cow elk for meat when it`s legal though,a nice set of antlers is a bonus but I`m pretty much all about the winter meat anymore.

Hadda
04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Its good meat! Yum yum. Why let it go to waste?

orcabait
04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
I am an avid hunter and guide.
Those hunters and guides that don't remove all the meat from a harvested animal are giving anti hunting groups the ammunition they need to gain support. They don't need any more political and financial support. Needless to say, it is unethical and heartless to kill for the thrill of a kill. This issue is pretty cut and dry for me and most hunters. Eat what you kill. Why on earth would you pursue a bear to kill it if you will not eat it. Find another hobby.
Mother nature does a damn good job of stabilizing wildlife populations on her own if we stay out of it.

Would you buy a roast from the store and throw it out. (waste of money)
Would you shoot a bear and leave it in the bush. ( waste of a life)

A sick or dangerous bears is another issue.
A nuisance bear is a bear trained by poor human habits.
My neighbours kids are a nuisance as well, can I shot them????

kebes
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
orcabait, you eat wolves? Hope you've never set a mouse trap!

Some of you guys kill me. I understand the idea of using what you kill but you guys have to remember that food isn't the only reason to hunt. Wildlife management is important. As far as nature stabilizing itself if we leave it alone: I submit Yellowstone.

With that being said, I understand doing what we can to make sure we present hunting in a good light to people who don't hunt. It's a balancing act in my mind and not an easy one.

kebes
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
I know someone's going to point out that nature has balanced itself out for years apart from human interaction, but at the end of the day, we're way to involved in the environment in our present day to think that just leaving things alone is an option!

180grainer
04-08-2013, 09:35 PM
I am a firm believer you eat what you shoot or don't shoot the animal..

I use to think like that until I started shooting yotes.....

riflebuilder
04-09-2013, 04:04 AM
I have a friend that when his family moved to BC that used to hunt Grizz for the meat...well they ate anything so I don't know if it tasted good.

BCBRAD
04-09-2013, 05:33 AM
I thinks as the regulation states "all eadible portions". If a bear is shot properly that would mean a shoulder shot to anchor the bear where it stood. This means bone shards throughout the front 1/2 at least. This makes for uneadible sausage as the fine bone chips are like glass in the meat ( I know this for a fact). So for me the hams are the eadible portions and like Gate says once its home you decide what you want to eat. Hunting is done under regulation, I don't think there would be an increase in bear mortality to supply the Asian market if the rules reflect 'herd' mangement models.

sawmill
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Once,when I used to hunt bears,I shot a nice young black just for the meat.When I was butchering it the phone rang,after 15 minutes I came back to the roast I was trimming only to see hundreds of wire thin white worms crawling out of the muscle.Thread worms is what I hear they are called,I will never kill another bear again.That f@cker had more wildlife in it than the country I shot him in.Apperently they are no threat to humans as long as the meat is cooked well but between them and Trichanosis............I pass.I won`t eat mice and spiders that I kill in my house either.

Sundance1972
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
First (and only) bear I ever shot was back in 1994. Wasn't a big fan of the meat, so gave it away to friends/family and never bought another tag. In the last couple years, I've had quite a few enjoyable dinners at friends houses (slow cooker bear roast, stew, etc), so am going to give it another try this spring. Maybe the one I shot was too old and tough (was a massive old boar) for my liking, I don't know. If this one turns out to be the same, it will be the last tag I buy. I already have friends lined up for the meat if I don't like it and will be giving the hide to a member here (will have the skull done for myself), so nothing will go to waste.
So, obviously, I'm also in the "eat what you kill group". Don't hunt any other predators (coyote, wolf, etc), so not going to comment on that other than I would like to see the hides used for something.

THE BEAST
04-09-2013, 06:14 PM
I think that it should be manditory to have to take out your bear meat because if you dont you are wasteing good meat. Also i think that bear are over populated and are killing faws lots.(in the cariboo)

Rob
04-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Around here, if your not going to shoot the bears the C.O's will have to.

moosecamp
04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Id rather eat a sewer rat over a bear

bon appetit

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzg-dkLaFIDLJ9DOL4eBaaNyvgHqIKamOHxvxRje9cGlCZ4SZl

40incher
04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes, definitely. The time has come to get on with it.

I have a Grizz LEH this spring and we will be taking the meat out, as we have with all our previous grizzly bears taken. The meat has been great. It's a bit of work but worthwhile.

If you're too lazy too take the meat out then don't hunt them anymore.

kebes
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Should be that way with wolves too right?

aggiehunter
04-10-2013, 09:14 PM
BONE CHIPS from a shoulder shot like glass shards in the meat....can you spell.....STRETTTCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,.......

40incher
04-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Should be that way with wolves too right?

Must be a guide apologist I would guess ... Might cost 'em some money ehhh???

You can either be a dinosaur or realize when it's time to change your way of thinkin' ...

Killing stuff strictly for $$$ is very questionable at this time. Lighten up and agree to take the meat out. Wolves, coyotes, whatever ... As if you don't have to take them home anyways to skin 'em out. Get over it!

Don't drag us all down with your self-serving "logic " ...

BCBRAD
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
BONE CHIPS from a shoulder shot like glass shards in the meat....can you spell.....STRETTTCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,.......

Not at all, bears that are shot through the shoulders breaking bone stay down, the prefered shot placement. Bone fragments do travel in the meat. Hard to see the smaller pieces when making sausage, but you sure notice them in the sausage.
Its obvious from your previous posts that you have little left to learn or experience, you must be very old and wise.

kebes
04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Can't say I'm a guide apologist, and I've never hunted or killed anything for money. As for the time being removal of meat on bears is mandatory, so if I shoot a bear I'm more then willing to oblige. I simply asked the question if it should be mandatory. So far the only argument that stands up (in my mind) is that of doing our best to show hunting to the public in a way that makes it more acceptable. I don't have a problem with that to a certain extent but let's be honest, for some people it just never will be acceptable. Saying you should remove coyote meat......come on man.

And by the way, killing stuff strictly for money isn't questionable. You couldn't buy a steak at a grocery store if it was.

BCKyle
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Not gonna get into the big picture debate but for me: not gonna kill it if I'm not gonna eat it. Going for my first spring bear this year and if I get one it will be a test of how well we can go through the meat over the year and how much it's enjoyed. If my lady and I don't get good use out of it then yogi walks from now on.

ok a little bit of the big picture stuff:
Killing stuff strictly for money has always been morally questionable, but humans have been doing it since we stopped hunter/gathering. And now we're in a place where people don't always want the dirty work so feedlots and slaughterhouses have done very good business for years. 'Course when they slaughter cows and pigs there they use every darn bit, I'll bet (uneducated guess) they use more of those carcasses than a lot of hunters use of hunted animals. Where else would we get clearance hot dogs? :tongue:
...of course that's part of why I got into hunting, because I would rather do the dirty work myself than pay some dodgy guys to raise an animal in unknown conditions and then ten other guys to kill it, chop it up, ship it and then sell it to me for a giant markup. Hey I'm into complicating my life so I'll eat that damn bear even if I don't love it.