PDA

View Full Version : tree stand question

Vancouver1234
03-23-2013, 07:52 PM
New to hunting and was just wondering how many people actually hunt out of tree stands?? and if so what are the legalitys of building one if you take it down at the end of the season??

thanks

shadowhunter
03-23-2013, 08:21 PM
For deer hunting the main users are guys going after whitetails or blacktails but for mule deer most hunters decide not to sit in a tree, more spot and stalk or road hunt. I have no clue the legalities of them but you see some built every nwo and then out of 2X4's and plywood that look like they have been there for a while. I have perosnaly never sat in one but I'm new to the game. I'm sure some other members can chime in!

BlacktailStalker
03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
If you don't own the land, technically it is against the law to put a nail in the tree... that being said mountain bikers are hacking the hell out of provincial and private land province wide so a 2x4 tree stand isn't going to hurt.
If you are going to take it down just put up a hang on tree stand and take your screw out bottom few steps with you each time so nobody can get up. The hang on will be easier to put up and likely and most importantly, safer.

afflicted 1
03-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I hunt mulies alot from stands usually close to bedding areas in tight timber uses obvious trails. I also call a lot with around 70per success. I will say this its not worth your time building stands you can pick the basic hang ons up pretty cheap. I use a summit climber it works ok but requires all limbs gone of course. Use a harness all times good luck

bugler
03-25-2013, 07:52 PM
Buy a hang on style and some steps. Wooden stands tend to advertise your favorite hunting spots a little too well. I use one quite a bit for whitetail and some for elk.

J_T
03-25-2013, 08:12 PM
A lightweight hangon gives you the freedom to pattern animals and relocate. Generally safer, easier to install and no traces at the end of the year. I hunt elk and whitetail out of the stand.

The Hermit
03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Hang on, deer elk and this year going to try it for a bear too. Tree stands are killing machines.