PDA

View Full Version : Help with Yukon caribou outfitters.

cohod
03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Looking at a Caribou hunt with the old boy for his 75 birthday and a friend of his suggested these two outfitters, anyone have any experience with either or suggestions for other Yukon outfits?

http://blackstoneoutfitters.com/caribou

http://www.ceaserlake.com/photos-caribou.html

Thanks

cohod

1/2 slam
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM
I hunted sheep with Gana River a few years ago. Had a great time. They had a lot of big caribou as well.

rifleman
03-22-2013, 09:05 PM
are you planning on a horse back hunt?

cohod
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
are you planning on a horse back hunt?

Yes, looking for hores back but he is a very fit 75. Can cover allot of miles on foot more than the average guy.

cohod

tuffteddyb
03-22-2013, 09:40 PM
think mighta put the s in horse,no?lol

rifleman
03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Horses are a good idea. Chris Widrig has some nice bou. He is on the N.W.T border. lots of video on you tube.
N.W.T has great bou. They can fly you in with a chopper. Not my kind of hunting but that might be an option for you.
If your interested I can guide you in the Yukon. Prophet Muskwa runs Kluane outfitters up there.

bcyukonair
03-23-2013, 08:03 AM
terry wilkinson runs a good outfit [ceaser lk]

bearvalley
03-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Terry Wilkinson or Tim Mervyn. Both run good outfits

Fred1
03-23-2013, 08:30 AM
LMA O I have been trying to get the outfitter I work for to use "hores" for years.... Wife puts a stop to it every time...

Here is what I would recommend when trying to figure out what outfitter to use. Call the outfitter, ask him for a recent clientel list, call those clients and find out what they say. If its less than fantastic!!, then go through it again with another outfitter. Ask about the equipment, the guides and most importantly, the FOOD!! Then make your chioce. Every year we have clients that will go and try other outfitters and then come back to us with incredible stories of less than stellar hunts, crappy support equipment, bad accomodations and poor food. One guy cracked a barrel of military rations and handed out packets to everyone.... Do your homework and ask questions. It is your money, your holiday you should enjoy every minute of it!!

cohod
03-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the reply's and PMs.
Lots of good info coming in.

cohod

craigo
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I hunted with Blackstone this past September. Had good luck with them. Would go back there for sure. In the next breath there is lots of good outfits in the Yukon.
I posted my pics on here a while back.
Let me know if you got any questions.

bruin
03-23-2013, 10:51 PM
LMA O I have been trying to get the outfitter I work for to use "hores" for years.... Wife puts a stop to it every time...

Here is what I would recommend when trying to figure out what outfitter to use. Call the outfitter, ask him for a recent clientel list, call those clients and find out what they say. If its less than fantastic!!, then go through it again with another outfitter. Ask about the equipment, the guides and most importantly, the FOOD!! Then make your chioce. Every year we have clients that will go and try other outfitters and then come back to us with incredible stories of less than stellar hunts, crappy support equipment, bad accomodations and poor food. One guy cracked a barrel of military rations and handed out packets to everyone.... Do your homework and ask questions. It is your money, your holiday you should enjoy every minute of it!!

What outfitter would give a potential client a poor reference?

Bod
03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Tim Mervyn runs a great outfit. Very horse friendly country, maybe better know for Sheep, but great Caribou as well. Worth checking out www.yukonsheep.com (http://www.yukonsheep.com) While it is good to talk with past clients, of course any who have not been satisfied don't get put on the referral list by most businesses.

proguide66
03-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Pretty tough to find 'bad carribou' in the Yukon. x2 on Tim Mervyn , Chris Widgrig as well. Here's a book bou I taped a guy shooting in the Yukon yrs back , good to get the blood pumping !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwW8uFWAuI&feature=share&list=UUALaO58yDzt0djpHNGZqCDA

Fred1
03-24-2013, 09:54 PM
What outfitter would give a potential client a poor reference?
Like I said If you're given a reference expect the respose from them to be FANTASTIC! anything less may be a sign... I hire people all the time and they give me their references ... I always phone them... Im always amazed how honest people are. AND any reputable outfitter will have a client reference list on hand. The ones who dont may take some time to get you one. In the end, its up to you who you hire... Im just saying do the best you can to hire the "right" outfitter.

cohod
03-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Pretty tough to find 'bad carribou' in the Yukon. x2 on Tim Mervyn , Chris Widgrig as well. Here's a book bou I taped a guy shooting in the Yukon yrs back , good to get the blood pumping !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOwW8uFWAuI&feature=share&list=UUALaO58yDzt0djpHNGZqCDA

Awesome thanks for posting!

cohod