PDA

View Full Version : halibut retention rules

ratherbefishin
03-22-2013, 09:05 AM
will someone please tell me how to accurately measure a 126 cm [4' long ]halibut in the water so I can decide whether it is legal to retain or must be released? I know one thing for sure-and that is anybody who is foolish enough to attempt to bring a 45 lb live halibut in the boat to lay a tape measure on it to determine whether it is a keeper or not it is going to risk getting serious damage.No problem measuring a DEAD halibut-which is what the fisheries officer will do-and issue a ticket if it is 1 cm over the limit-but exactly how does one measure a LIVE halibut that can be presumably released without raising its head out of the water-where they go ape?Who dreams up these rules anyway?

Weatherby Fan
03-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Play the fish until it's good and tired and when you get it alongside it will give you a chance to roughly measure it,
get yourself a stick with the max length marked on it and do a quick check alongside in the water,I started dip netting the halibut up to about 50lbs as I find it easier to deal with rather than harpooning them or gaffing them in case we want to release them.
Halibut are amazingly durable fish,so no worries about knocking the scales off !
If at all possible get the fish white side up in the boat and rub the lateral line length wise on the fish and in most cases the fish will simmer down enough to measure if in doubt about the length,
I fished halibut for years commercially and it works,it gives the fish a false sensation that it's on the bottom,I know it sounds funny but after dressing halibut for 18 hrs a day you learn a few tricks.

I know how cranky they can be at times so again just play the fish until he's good and tired and try and deal with it as best you can.

t-rexer
03-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I think a lot of people are going to be filleting on the boat for all those fish that are just over

dwflyrod
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
i agree with you t-rexer

Weatherby Fan
03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I think a lot of people are going to be filleting on the boat for all those fish that are just over

Thats the trouble with this wonderful system they come up with,nothing easy about dealing with a live or lively halibut.......

steel_ram
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Nearly dead 4' halibut "released" seems real smart. Wonder what survival is?

BiG Boar
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Nearly dead 4' halibut "released" seems real smart. Wonder what survival is?

I know what the survival rate is of ones that are unreleased.

steel_ram
03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
I know what the survival rate is of ones that are unreleased.

True, but since this is a kill fishery, I'd rather see the first fish dragged up from the bottom taken regardless of it's size. I know they're tough fish, but do we have any way of knowing what kind of survival they may have?

MichelD
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
"do we have any way of knowing what kind of survival they may have? "

Mortality is estimated at 16 percent.

Discussion Paper

Halibut Discard Mortality in Recreational Fisheries
in IPHC Areas 2C and 3A
Scott Meyer
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Division of Sport Fish
Homer, Alaska
September 17, 2007

http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/npfmc/PDFdocuments/halibut/HalibutDiscards907.pdf

ratherbefishin
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
I have no issue with the six [6] annual retention-but I'd like to see a two per day limit -no matter what the size.Throwing dead fish overboard only feeds the crabs

Weatherby Fan
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
True, but since this is a kill fishery, I'd rather see the first fish dragged up from the bottom taken regardless of it's size. I know they're tough fish, but do we have any way of knowing what kind of survival they may have?

Ok I'll bite haha and go out on a limb and say that it's very high as they for certain are the toughest sport caught fish going,I've handled a fair pile of halibut over the years and seem some pretty amazing things with halibut

No one knows for sure the survival rate on any catch and release caught fish but I'll bet it's survival rate is much higher than most species.

Spy
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
will someone please tell me how to accurately measure a 126 cm [4' long ]halibut in the water so I can decide whether it is legal to retain or must be released? I know one thing for sure-and that is anybody who is foolish enough to attempt to bring a 45 lb live halibut in the boat to lay a tape measure on it to determine whether it is a keeper or not it is going to risk getting serious damage.No problem measuring a DEAD halibut-which is what the fisheries officer will do-and issue a ticket if it is 1 cm over the limit-but exactly how does one measure a LIVE halibut that can be presumably released without raising its head out of the water-where they go ape?Who dreams up these rules anyway?
You should send this request for info to DFO. What a bunch of Idiots.

ratherbefishin
03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I think what we'll probably do is make a T bar out of PVC that we can measure the length,much like a crab guage,and that should work pretty well for fish well over or under the 126cm-but I defy anybody to accurately judge the length of a halibut under the surface thats close to 126cm...and somehow I doubt very much that a fisheries officer is going to let me off if he finds a fish 127 cm long in our fishlocker.These people don't seem to understand its not like the antler restrictions on an elk, moose or deer where you can sit back and check the animal out with binos before you decide to shoot or let it pass.

lorneparker1
03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Johnny Bear on the is site, seemed to have what i thought was a pretty good idea for measuring. He was going to fab up something at his shop. Cant remember exactly what it was but i remember reading it and it seemed like ti would work.

BS we have to deal with this in the first place, but for those following the rules, there are some decent ideas out there

Spy
03-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Some you tube videos mocking the measurement system would be great. LOL

willyqbc
03-22-2013, 05:03 PM
and what am i supposed to do about the 130cm halibut that has my jig swallowed halfway to his stomach????
try and get it out........fish is gonna die
cut line and leave it in.......fish is gonna die

policy makers got any good answers for that question???

Chris

lorneparker1
03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
The answer is don't use jigs with trebles, Use circles. Trust me I hate this more then anyone, but if you want that fish to live, that's the answer. 130 cm is close enough for the cooler in my books though lol

ratherbefishin
03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
''130 CM is close enough for the cooler in my books''-unfortionately the fisheries officer is unlikely to see it that way,but he IS likely to write you a very expensive ticket...4 cm [about 1 1/2'']over size is going to cost you.I'd like to see the same fisheries officer who can accurately measure a 4' long halibut swimming under the surface....
I'm not concerned about the halibut that is OBVIOUSLY over the limit-I'm concerned about the halibut that is TOO CLOSE to call.THEORETICALLY preserving the bigger fish[females]to breed makes sense-and the smaller ones are better eating anyway-its the PRACTICE I'm concerned about.

lorneparker1
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
''130 CM is close enough for the cooler in my books''-unfortionately the fisheries officer is unlikely to see it that way,but he IS likely to write you a very expensive ticket...4 cm [about 1 1/2'']over size is going to cost you.I'd like to see the same fisheries officer who can accurately measure a 4' long halibut swimming under the surface....
I'm not concerned about the halibut that is OBVIOUSLY over the limit-I'm concerned about the halibut that is TOO CLOSE to call.THEORETICALLY preserving the bigger fish[females]to breed makes sense-and the smaller ones are better eating anyway-its the PRACTICE I'm concerned about. Well I would like to believe that the fisheries officer would understand, and cut you a break. You know the 2 of them tasked with the area from about parksville to port hardy.....

ratherbefishin
03-23-2013, 10:19 AM
unfortionately-the law says RETENTION-it doesn't say ''alive or dead''

Weatherby Fan
03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
"do we have any way of knowing what kind of survival they may have? "

Mortality is estimated at 16 percent.

Discussion Paper

Halibut Discard Mortality in Recreational Fisheries
in IPHC Areas 2C and 3A
Scott Meyer
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Division of Sport Fish
Homer, Alaska
September 17, 2007

http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/npfmc/PDFdocuments/halibut/HalibutDiscards907.pdf

Just a note reading through this report the estimated mortality rate of 16% is inaccurate, according to this report the mortality rate on sport caught fish is unknown and hasn't been studied,but thought to be about 5%,

I was on several hook and bait charters on the West Coast of the QCI for the IPHC on commercial fishing vessels and all the biologists we had aboard estimated the mortality rate on released fish at 3.5%-5% using circle hooks and properly unhooking your fish........from my experience and what I've seen I would believe this to be a more accurate assessment on released fish.
WF

ratherbefishin
03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
I can see releasing small halibut with no problem-but I'm not so sure how you measure and release a 100 lb plus halibut....

MichelD
03-23-2013, 07:42 PM
"Just a note reading through this report the estimated mortality rate of 16% is inaccurate."

You are absolutely correct.

Weatherby Fan
03-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure if it's the case coastwide,but most of the fishing I do is in area 2W in the QCI and all the hooks have to be barbless which also aids in making the release a little easier.

40incher
03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
So!! Are the lodges going to be required to keep "all" of their clients halibut whole so they can be measured and adhere to the law? Or, will only the unassisted anglers be held to task?

Just to verify, there are nor barbeless/circle hook restrictions that come with this BS regulation, or any thought to how one could legally process their catch. Just another short-thinking and very desperate measure to appease the lodges and their 2013 bookings. Expect more of the same as this issue devolves ....

Weatherby Fan
03-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I can tell you that lodge i go to is scrutinized alot, and adhere to the rules,do you think they want to get shut down over an illegal halibut or 2......not likely
its much easier for fisheries to check many customers at a lodge at once than individuals like yourself so they see them on a regular basis.
What they have done in the past is make them package the fillets skin on in one or two pieces in one package that way fisheries can identify and estimate the size of the fish.

Weatherby Fan
03-24-2013, 09:34 PM
So!! Are the lodges going to be required to keep "all" of their clients halibut whole so they can be measured and adhere to the law? Or, will only the unassisted anglers be held to task?

Just to verify, there are nor barbeless/circle hook restrictions that come with this BS regulation, or any thought to how one could legally process their catch. Just another short-thinking and very desperate measure to appease the lodges and their 2013 bookings. Expect more of the same as this issue devolves ....

So do you really think IPHC base there allocation of Halibut stocks to appease a bunch of lodges in BC.???? Not F-ing likely......
You have either been sorely misinformed or are just bitter about the rules that apply to every sport fisherman,resident or non resident alike in BC.

They had size restriction last year and they dealt with it,now it's just a different size to deal with.

40incher
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
So I must be missing something here?!

The question is ... If there are two size limits to adhere to "are the lodges required to keep their halibut whole"? According to you, not!

So then, a 140 cm halibut can become a 110 cm halibut in a minute or so. How is that enforceable?? Give me a break!

Weatherby Fan
03-25-2013, 11:11 PM
So I must be missing something here?!

The question is ... If there are two size limits to adhere to "are the lodges required to keep their halibut whole"? According to you, not!

So then, a 140 cm halibut can become a 110 cm halibut in a minute or so. How is that enforceable?? Give me a break!

As far as keeping them whole for this year I don't know....yet,but they had two sizes to adhere to last year and and they didn't have to keep the fish whole.They had to keep the tail on one of the fletches so they could measure it if needed, it was vacuum packed and frozen that way.
Same thing with the salmon filets they had to leave the tail attached for species id.

Spy
03-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Why is everyone just bending over & taking this. Why are we, the the ones with less, excepting less. Whats wrong with all you fisherman out there, why are we accepting this..! We should be sending these idiots a clear message that we will not bend over and take it. Im not buying a fishing lisence this year, i will not support the DFO in anyway.

blindguy
03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure if it's the case coastwide,but most of the fishing I do is in area 2W in the QCI and all the hooks have to be barbless which also aids in making the release a little easier.

Sorry man ,not sure where your getting your info from but there is no where in bc where you have to use barbless hooks for bottom fish of any kind. only Salmon you need barbless.

Weatherby Fan
03-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Your right, its only compulsary for salmon,the lodge I go to mostly uses barbless hooks for everything but does have barbed hooks available for bottom fish.

40incher
03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Why is everyone just bending over & taking this. Why are we, the the ones with less, excepting less. Whats wrong with all you fisherman out there, why are we accepting this..! We should be sending these idiots a clear message that we will not bend over and take it. Im not buying a fishing lisence this year, i will not support the DFO in anyway.

Contact your federal MP for your riding. Tell him/her you are tired of being a second-class citizen when it comes to DFO's management of a common-property resource.

Attend your local SFAB meeting and make sure your rep is standing up for the primary stakeholders (unassisted/non-guided angler). We have priority under the law of the land. Tell the secondary commercial mouthpieces to quit plundering the public resource and trying to tell us it's good for us. We are only taking 30% of the angler allocation and being punished for it.

Quitting fishing/participating is exactly what the commercial interests want. Don't do that.

The BS regulations are one more step to an exclusive $$$$ fishery that does not include us.