PDA

View Full Version : Cabo San Lucas ( Silverados Sportfishing)

Brett
03-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Well I saw the recent Mexico post and thought I would share. My wife and I went to Cabo for her 40th birthday in January and I wanted to take her fishing as she had never been. I contacted Winner7 the highest rated charter in Cabo and David was all full up... He suggested Silverados and made the arrangements.
In total we caught 13 fish, a shark to start the day off that injured the captains hand and bruised the shit out of my wives leg! ( the day before Laura had said all she wanted to catch was a shark!!happy birthday!)
Then it was 6 Wahoo and 5 Dorado. Then to finish the day off I landed a Marlin on the way home! What a day! In the last pics you can see the fish flags flying as we peacock back into the docks

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/GOPR0014_zps167500e1.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/GOPR0024_zps5402d953.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/IMG_3517_zpsf84947e6.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/IMG_3541_zps20cc9d61.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/IMG_3536_zps9c7438d6.jpg

Brett
03-21-2013, 11:14 AM
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/IMG_3521_zps3f5d0bb5.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/IMG_3522_zps64c5cd19.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/GOPR0031_zps34ffed36.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/GOPR0030_zps851e6aae.jpg
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt149/quaddamg/GOPR0046_zpsbcb449d0.jpg

Rodd
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Looks like a awesome trip!! Thanks for sharing.. Lots of meat on that boat!

Brett
03-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Oh Yah I forgot, Rodd we brought 100lbs home with us, 2 marine coolers, Westjet only charged me 20$ extra!!!

huntcoop
03-21-2013, 11:42 AM
...we brought 100lbs home with us, 2 marine coolers, Westjet only charged me 20$ extra!!!

That's the biggest shocker of all :shock: the Mexican WJ employees seem to always wanna screw our groups with overweight fees.

fester
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
great pics!!!!!

Brett
03-21-2013, 11:51 AM
That's the biggest shocker of all :shock: the Mexican WJ employees seem to always wanna screw our groups with overweight fees.
One 50# cooler was counted as my 1 suitcase and the second 50#er was only counted as an extra bag 20$. An over weight item is only $40, so worst case it would have been $80 either way I was bringing this home at that point

Salty
03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Nice! What's the going rate for a charter around Cabo Brett?

Brett
03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
we were $740 all inclusive and I tipped the guys $100 a piece and gave them the remainder of the fish. 33' boat food and drink all day. This was booked in advance,, we heard of alot of people going out the day of or next day for 3-500$ You can leave San Jose del Cabo for the day for 300+ on a much smaller boat to do some fly fishing and shallower water stuff

Brett
03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
It wasn't fishing.. I have never fished like this in my life ( I've deep sea'd before) We went hunting fish! both the shark and the Marlin were spotted and targeted, the others were spotted uses the world largest binoculars of the bridge and we raced to them

huntcoop
03-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Sounds like you had a wicked time, nice pix!

Salty
03-21-2013, 12:44 PM
that's not bad at all Brett guys in smaller boats are charging about a grand a day to chase salmon and hallys around here in 24 foot boats. $740 on that boat is pretty reasonable I'd say!

Salty
03-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Nuther question.. how did you go about getting it home in good shape, did they freeze the fish for you? Pretty sweet that you can bring some of the finest eats there is home!

BiG Boar
03-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Thats cool man. I just got back from 10 days in SJC and the fishing was definitely bad. Certain times of the year I suppose, but also, who you book with helps big time. Looks like you guys nailed it though! Congrats on bringing home the goods!

Brett
03-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Salty, yah it was filleted on the dock for us and we had it frozen.

BB I told the wife we will never go again.... we won't ever have a day as good as this again and it will just be a disappointment...we actually were staying in SJC as well

BiG Boar
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
SJC sucks. Never again. Worst trip pretty well ever. Unless you were 90, and then it's like spring break.

weatherby_man
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Awesome day by the looks of it! I have fished down there and you're right the sight fishing, hunting down, and getting them on the line is an awesome thing to experience. I cant wait to go back.

Johnnybear
03-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Thats cool man. I just got back from 10 days in SJC and the fishing was definitely bad. Certain times of the year I suppose, but also, who you book with helps big time. Looks like you guys nailed it though! Congrats on bringing home the goods!

SJC sucks. Never again. Worst trip pretty well ever. Unless you were 90, and then it's like spring break.

Why all the negativity? Post some pic's or an explanation in another thread.

The OP has posted an awesome report. Kudos to all involved with this trip.

Wish I was there big time. I love Baja. Very jealous of your trip. Great catch. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
John

lorneparker1
03-22-2013, 07:23 AM
And you said you never post under the influence Lorne. I will leave this one at that.

Was sober as a whistle! Just dont think its ok to call someone am asshat because the place sucked when they went.

coach
03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Awesome story and pictures, Brett! Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like the price of your charter was consistant with what a boat like that would have cost in Barra Navidad - where we fished out of. The 28' foot "super panga" I chartered was 3000 pesos. We negotiated him down (day before) to 2500 - but after such a great day and knowing he chased fish a lot farther offshore I think he had originally intended we paid him and extra 1000 as a tip. Good guides make all the difference as other boats around us came home with nothing.

Was it easy to find someone to freeze your fish? I would have loved to bring some home too - but didn't think it was possible. A small amount was eaten fresh while we were there, some is still in my mom's fridge freezer and the rest I gave to the boat captain. With the amount I fish you caught I'm sure your happy you packed the marine coolers! Good thinking.

The hunting aspect of the trip is bang on. Sounds like you were outfitted well with the bridge and some binos. On the smaller boat - we were dependent on our eyes and the radio. All of the boats in the area seemed to work together to find the fish. When you saw the marlin ahead of time, what was it doing? We watched one launch itself multiple times out of the water and our guide did try to get ahead of it, but we weren't as lucky and didn't connect. I wondered if the jumping was normal behavior or not. Can't wait to go again and maybe connect with one!

Thanks again for sharing your story. Hopefully those with negative experiences will simply start their own thread.

Brett
03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Coach, there were a ton of places that would freeze the fish, even a place that would portion and vacuum pack it. ( we were told $5/lb...I think we were miss quoted) Anyway the hotel actually had a freezer just for guests, right off of the lobby..It wasn't flash frozen but it still tastes great! Arrived in Vancouver for an overnight-er before heading home and pulled up to the Delta Airport and was asked immediatly by the bellman if i would like the coolers put in there walk in!...perfect!

Both the shark that am and the marlin in the afternoon were sitting still. There were actually 2 marlin about 1' apart with there dorsal fins sticking out of the water sunning themselves, the shark was the same way, Juan and Oscar were trying to point the shark out to both of us and we couldn't see it until we were 40' away...The marlin were spotted and they turned the boat around, headed over and baited a hook, then the bait was thrown 5'-0' in front of them.. they both dropped into the water then Juan yelled at Oscar and Oscar slammed on the throttle and the boat came out of the water, then a quick turn and of the throttle, then another yell from Juan, another throttle romp and Juan YANKED that rod, smiled and said Mr. and nodded at the chair.

BiG Boar
03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry for derailing your thread. I am glad you had a wicked trip out there. Timing is Definitley the key.

Congrats on an incredible fishing trip! Fact that you got it home was even better.

How did you find San Jose as far as staying there? Fishing like that would definitly change ones experience. What happens with the shark? Mount it? Eats? What was the fight like? That thing looks bad ass.

Brett
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Sorry for derailing your thread. I am glad you had a wicked trip out there. Timing is Definitley the key.

Congrats on an incredible fishing trip! Fact that you got it home was even better.

How did you find San Jose as far as staying there? Fishing like that would definitly change ones experience. What happens with the shark? Mount it? Eats? What was the fight like? That thing looks bad ass.

NP! We liked SJ the town... we did quite a bit around town, shopping, art tour, Mega a bunch of times....
How ever, I was not very impressed with our hotels food. If we do the Baja again we would rent a condo and go it on our own..... but we would both rather see somewhere new than return somewhere we've been so we may run out of years....

We had a roast cut from the shark to eat, the rest went to the crew. It was the toughest fight of the day for sure! once the marlin was tired it was done. That shark would not stop! even after it had been beat in the head with a bat and dragged over the side of the boat with a gaff, you can see the results of his rampage on the deck, I still have blood stains on the shirt I was wearing and I was 10' away video taping