PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes up chwk lake rd?

Fella
03-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey so my buddy and I are going for a jaunt in the woods above chwk lake rd. anyone know if there's and chance of seeing coyotes in cut blocks up there or would they stick to the valley bottom?

604redneck
03-20-2013, 08:02 PM
anywhere there are other animals or even garbage there will be coyotes just easier to see them in a wide open field.....take a rabbit in distress hand call

Brew
03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I log up there quite a bit and see yotes running through the block regularly. You should be able to call some in.

Fella
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the info gents!

adriaticum
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Fella
03-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Cool when are you going?

adriaticum
03-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Cool when are you going? Depending on the weather and the arrival of a new Tikka 30-06 from ISS which should arrive some timethis week (I hope) and a friend (a shooting mentor). I've fished a lot in Chilliwack so I know the area but I don't know where to hunt up there. My friend is an experienced hunter and hopefully show me the ropes since I'm a new to hunting. I'd like to just get out and smell the roses. As soon as the weather is better we will go plinking in the bush and get some long distance shooting as well. It's prime steelhead season on the Vedder now and I might just get out this weekend for some fishing and plinking with my 22. I'd say if you are going to the Chilliwack Lake road try closer to the lake. Bears might be out this time of the year as well.

lip_ripper00
03-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Depending on the weather and the arrival of a new Tikka 30-06 from ISS which should arrive some timethis week (I hope) and a friend (a shooting mentor). I've fished a lot in Chilliwack so I know the area but I don't know where to hunt up there. My friend is an experienced hunter and hopefully show me the ropes since I'm a new to hunting. I'd like to just get out and smell the roses. As soon as the weather is better we will go plinking in the bush and get some long distance shooting as well. It's prime steelhead season on the Vedder now and I might just get out this weekend for some fishing and plinking with my 22. I'd say if you are going to the Chilliwack Lake road try closer to the lake. Bears might be out this time of the year as well.

Yes take a camera, too early to shoot them....

Fella
03-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes take a camera, too early to shoot them....
Haha you beat me to it.

Adriaticum: ya I fish and hike up there a lot. Nice area, just sucks how busy it is during the summer.

Moe.JKU
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
I see some in there as well fishing and going up shooting never really hunted yotes before but the itch is getting to me again since geese are done. I was planning on sighting in my new rifle on sat up that way and taking a drive down the back of the lake and hiking for a bit. Hopefully see something for the camera or the rifle for now or future dates.

itsy bitsy xj
03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Remember you must be 800 meters (1/2 mile) off of Chilliwack Lake road before you discharge a firearm

adriaticum
03-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I know about the spring bear opening, but wouldn't know what to do with a dead bear anyway. Lots to learn yet.

Fella
03-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Remember you must be 800 meters (1/2 mile) off of Chilliwack Lake road before you discharge a firearm
Does that apply for the whole road? I thought it was just near the prison and the housing developments.

russm
03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Pretty sure it's just around the prison and houses.

Fella
03-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Not that I'm going to be shooting near the road anyways.

adriaticum
03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
There are maps out there you can obtain that will give you an idea where you can shoot. I'm pretty sure I hear a lot of shots in the Wack during waterfowl season. They are pretty close.

Fella
03-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Yep I have a couple blinds on some properties in chilliwack. Just never looked too closely at the no shooting zone on chwk lake rd cuz I've never planned on shooting close to where people are anyways

itsy bitsy xj
03-20-2013, 11:11 PM
check the regs its in there. I'm pretty sure its from Tamahi to the lake

Fella
03-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Ya you're actually right. Just double checked the regs

bigredchev
03-21-2013, 01:11 AM
been up there lots never seen a coyote, tracks or sign.

seen lots of deer and a couple young bears. there is a cut blocki know of in mind towards the end but never had the time to hunt it

Moe.JKU
03-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Just wondering what everyone does with their yotes after they get em. I know theres the market out there for coyote pelts. just trying to get some other ideas if unless that's the only option then ill be doing that for myself.

r106
03-21-2013, 12:07 PM
check the regs its in there. I'm pretty sure its from Tamahi to the lake

Tamahi to the lake is 800 meters no shooting? that's ******ed

Hunt-4-Life
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
A springtime lower mainland coyote is probably not going to be worth much. Particularly if you plan on shooting it with an '06 :wink:. If you want to keep the fur the easiest way I've found to skin a yote is to tie the back feet to a tree, cut around the feet and make a cut up the back of both legs to the tail. Also cut across just under the ass. You can then pull the hide off toward thd head like a tube; "tube-skinning". Decide if you need/Want the head, it's more time consuming to skin it out. I cut the skin around the base of the skull and call it a day. You them need to stretch and flesh the hide. Stretch it out on a board so it is taut. You need to scrape every bit of flesh and tissue from the inside of the hide, and once that is done, let it dry. It can be tanned after that and used for whatever amateur fur project you want. I'm making a yote fur hood liner for my winter coat. Cheers!

Hunt-4-Life
03-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Oh sorry that was the other guy with '06. You would want to go lighter for yotes if you want the pelt. Center-fire .22' such as the .222, .223, and (my favorite) the .22-250 are ideal.

Moe.JKU
03-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Thank you I was thinking that's an easy way. It seems almost like a hassle to shoot it if your not going to keep the fur. cause you gotta bring it out its my understanding. Not really sure if i'm going to keep it or not and I don't feel like packing it out if i'm not going to do anything with it.