PDA

View Full Version : Wolf attack

junkyard_g
03-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Article about a recent wolf attack in Canada. Article is just a few hours old.

By John Newland, Staff Writer, NBC News
A woman in Manitoba, Canada, was receiving rabies treatment Wednesday after surviving a roadside attack by a timber wolf.
Dawn Hepp was driving along a highway near Grand Rapids, Manitoba, on March 8 when she pulled over to see if a stopped motorist was in need of help, Canadian national broadcaster CBC reported (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2013/03/18/mb-wolf-attack-dawn-hepp-manitoba.html?cmp=rss).
As she walked to the other motorist's car, the wolf leapt at her.
"His face and his jaws were around my neck," she told CBC, adding that she could feel the wolf's fur on her face.
"He dug a little deeper with that tooth and by the larynx," she added. "Whether he couldn't get a good enough grip or what, he let go."

Hepp told the broadcaster that she remembered something her father taught her to do if an animal on their farm ever turned on her.
"I could just hear my dad saying, 'Stay calm, Dawn. Stay calm, Dawn.' So what I did was I just stayed calm, I didn't yell, I didn't scream," she said.
Her husband, Kim Hepp, said Wednesday his wife was still in the town of Ashern, where she drove to get medical attention after the attack and where she continues to get rabies injections.
"She's got to stay until she's done with the needles," he said.
Hepp said hearing that his wife had been attacked by a wolf was "pretty scary."
"The [Royal Canadian Mounted Police] were in my yard and told me she was attacked by a wolf and was in a hospital," he said. "I asked straight away if she was OK."
Once free, Hepp walked to her car, wolf in tow, apologized to the other motorist -- who wasn't having car trouble after all -- for having to go, then drove herself three hours to get help, Canada's National Post (http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/19/with-a-wolfs-jaws-clamped-around-her-neck-dawn-hepp-survived-by-just-keeping-calm/) reported.
Hepp said the wolf, standing on its hind paws, was taller than her, and she estimated its weight at 200 pounds, according to the paper.
Her husband said he was surprised that the incident had occurred at all.
"There are a lot of wolves in and around town," he said, "but you don't hear about people being attacked by them."
Hank Hristienko, a big-game biologist with government agency Manitoba Conservation, said: "It's extremely rare. As far as we can tell, this is the first ever here in Manitoba."
Disease, starvation, an injury or the desire to protect a nearby kill could have caused the wolf to attack, he said.
Hristienko said he doubted that the attack was driven by a desire to eat. "If it were a predatory attack, she would probably not be surviving," he said.
Hristienko said there are probably at least 4,000 wolves in the province, which at about 250,000 square miles is a little smaller than Texas.

marcus44
03-20-2013, 03:05 PM
This story has way too many holes and doesn't seem all that realistic

03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
This story has way too many holes and doesn't seem all that realistic

I have to agree....

ruger#1
03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?93256-Wolf-attack Seems older then a few hours.

604redneck
03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
this story is complete and utter bs.....

junkyard_g
03-20-2013, 05:09 PM
yup, sorry. just a couple hours on that site. didn't have a date of the attack on there. my bad.

BiG Boar
03-20-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't get why you guys are all saying its BS. What part is BS? You think she made the whole thing up? You don't believe wolves would attach a human? If so, how do you explain the giant bit marks on her neck? Also, why would she make it up?

marcus44
03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
I don't get why you guys are all saying its BS. What part is BS? You think she made the whole thing up? You don't believe wolves would attach a human? If so, how do you explain the giant bit marks on her neck? Also, why would she make it up?

The other driver didn't do anything? She walked to her car with the wolf following? Just seems suspect

03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
A 200lb wolf on the side of the road bit her on the neck by the larynx and she survived?
And

Once free, Hepp walked to her car, wolf in tow, apologized to the other motorist -- who wasn't having car trouble after all -- for having to go, then drove herself three hours to get help,

Are you kidding me?

The Dawg
03-20-2013, 06:58 PM
A 200lb wolf on the side of the road bit her on the neck by the larynx and she survived?
And

Are you kidding me?

And she stood there and didn't panic. I've seen woman scream and run from a spider. And this lady didn't even react to a wolf chewing on her neck.

Perhaps it was a Twilight fantasy gone bad

Tenacious Billy
03-21-2013, 11:53 AM
200lb wolf :shock::shock: bites woman on back of the neck and she wasn't bleeding that badly??? :shock:

Maybe it was just lonely and she misinterpreted his romantic advances........

finngun
03-21-2013, 12:08 PM
or she had heavy winter clothing around her neck too...what may save her life..everything is possible,,:mrgreen:

ruger#1
03-21-2013, 03:12 PM
or she had heavy winter clothing around her neck too...what may save her life..everything is possible,,:mrgreen: I think it was finngun. He was trying to give her a hicky. You bad boy you.

308Lover
03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Would she know a wolf from a dog? Would she remember which drugs she took that day? Did the other motorist look like a vampire, now that he wasn't a wolf?

knighthunter
03-22-2013, 09:38 PM
On CBC News Manitoba there is a follow-up to this wolf attack story if someone will check it out & repost it on here.

Inlander
03-23-2013, 05:34 AM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/witness-sinks-teeth-into-womans-wolf-tale-199490591.html

huntinnewbie
03-23-2013, 05:40 AM
That last story sounds a bit more like what probably happened.

marcus44
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
That makes more sense, her story had too many holes to be realistic. She obviously realized she what she had done wasn't all that smart "s-m-r-t" and was trying to make herself look better.

Tenacious Billy
03-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Everybody knows wolves don't like chips......they like chocolate bars, not chips.

308Lover
03-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Well now! Shades of Vancouver Island where people routinely fed wolves around their campsites and some innocents paid the price. I retract my earlier comments. This really was a werewolf, angered by the gift of chips instead of raw,bleeding meat. Hope the lady is recovering from her tetanus shots. No wonder the original story was garbled. I feel sorry for the concerned motorist. Now THERE is one confused dude. LOL

meesemoot
03-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Well now! Shades of Vancouver Island where people routinely fed wolves around their campsites and some innocents paid the price. I retract my earlier comments. This really was a werewolf, angered by the gift of chips instead of raw,bleeding meat. Hope the lady is recovering from her tetanus shots. No wonder the original story was garbled. I feel sorry for the concerned motorist. Now THERE is one confused dude. LOLThat should be rabies shots, not tetanus, when bitten by an animal that is acting strangely. Unless she was able to send the head of the animal in for testing, which is the only way to rule out rabies.

308Lover
04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Tetanus is standard. Rabies not given unless a real fear exists. You are right about rabies though, that series of shots is viciously painful.

Fella
04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
I'd bite someone too if they offered me plain chips with no dip!!!

meesemoot
04-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Tetanus is standard. Rabies not given unless a real fear exists. You are right about rabies though, that series of shots is viciously painful.I didn't know you could get tetanus from animal bites, but I looked it up and you're right. I had thought it was mostly from stuff like rusty nails, etc. Both very nasty diseases.