PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Riser Transition ?

greybark
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
I know there are one or two carbon risers now offered . How many brands and models are available and will they take over this market niche ?
Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
03-20-2013, 10:09 AM
I dont think so to be honest with you .... Diamond archery (before they were bought up by Bowtech) Built and marketed a Carbon riser in the 90s ...

Hoyt as far as I know is the only company that markets a Carbon riser right now ...
I am honestly not a big fan .... it shoots nice .. but nothing to write home about ... I see more consistancy out of Alum risers ... but for the average hunter they are a fine enough bow.

donny.brooke
03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
I seen a carbon tech bow in a magazine this year. Full carbon riser that looks like a standard aluminum riser?

StoneChaser
03-20-2013, 04:37 PM
I dont think so to be honest with you .... Diamond archery (before they were bought up by Bowtech) Built and marketed a Carbon riser in the 90s ...

Hoyt as far as I know is the only company that markets a Carbon riser right now ...
I am honestly not a big fan .... it shoots nice .. but nothing to write home about ... I see more consistancy out of Alum risers ... but for the average hunter they are a fine enough bow.
I picked up a Carbon Element RKT this winter to try. It is very quiet, vibe free, and nice to shoot in the cold (riser is warm on the hands)

This is the first time I've ever heard a complaint concerning a carbon bow's consistency, but for my hunting (and shooting skill level) it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Randy seems to do alright with a carbon bow though with his collection of huge mulies and elk. Here's a 5 shot - 100 yd group he shot in a BROADHEAD competiton with a Carbon Matrix.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/image_zps40b4443c.jpg

SKYLINE
03-20-2013, 05:00 PM
I knew that Randy could shoot but that is incredible! Especially with a broadhead. Must have been using a Rage :mrgreen:

Blockcaver
03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
PSE made a hollow core carbon riser in the 90's too. I had one and it failed. They wouldn't replace it with another carbon riser and I was unhappy as the bow was decent. My 2011 Hoyt Carbon Element makes a great hunting bow in my opinion (>40 years of bowhunting).

Randy's group was shot with Ulmer Edge broadheads if I remember the details, developed by his brother Rusty and produced by Trophy Taker.

calvin L
03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
I do not have a carbon bow . But it is the only one I will look at next . Just for the warm feeling to the hands . (doesn't have to be a H.oyt all bows now shoot great .It will be a bow that fits me the best and has the most comfort more me

Bowzone_Mikey
03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I picked up a Carbon Element RKT this winter to try. It is very quiet, vibe free, and nice to shoot in the cold (riser is warm on the hands)

This is the first time I've ever heard a complaint concerning a carbon bow's consistency, but for my hunting (and shooting skill level) it wouldn't matter anyhow.

Randy seems to do alright with a carbon bow though with his collection of huge mulies and elk. Here's a 5 shot - 100 yd group he shot in a BROADHEAD competiton with a Carbon Matrix.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/StoneChaser/image_zps40b4443c.jpg

Yea they are are a good bow for sure ... as far as seeing more consistancy out of Alum risers ... There isnt a serious Target archer in the world shooting the Carbons ... they are shooting the Elite series risers from Hoyt ... based upon their consistancy ... I know this is a primarrily hunting site .. and the Carbons are a fine bow ... Even for 3Ders the highest placing I can think of for one of the Carbons at Nationals at Silverstar last year was Cynthia in 3rd for womens open, someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure.

StoneChaser
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Yea they are are a good bow for sure ... as far as seeing more consistancy out of Alum risers ... There isnt a serious Target archer in the world shooting the Carbons ... they are shooting the Elite series risers from Hoyt ... based upon their consistancy ... I know this is a primarrily hunting site .. and the Carbons are a fine bow ... Even for 3Ders the highest placing I can think of for one of the Carbons at Nationals at Silverstar last year was Cynthia in 3rd for womens open, someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure.

Certainly not disputing any claims of the lack of carbon bows on the podium....I'm admittedly ignorant to the whole target shooting scene.

However, could it be that not many carbon bows hit the podium simply because so few many archers shoot them period?

Hoyt doesn't seem to offer one in a so called "target" configuration. Seems most target bows are in the 37-40"+ ATA, many with shoot through risers, more weight, and smoother cams.

Hoyt's longest carbon offering is the Matrix (35"ATA) with somewhat aggressive cams. Just a thought, as a carbon riser will be as stiff as any aluminum riser built...and likely much stiffer. Just doesn't seem to be a carbon bow out there that mimics the proven target bow designs.

jmo
03-21-2013, 07:52 PM
For sure. Definetely not a spitfire. Zing!
I knew that Randy could shoot but that is incredible! Especially with a broadhead. Must have been using a Rage :mrgreen:

mntbowhunter
03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
For sure. Definetely not a spitfire. Zing!

pfffff JMO. Sure you Kill one huge stone ram with a rage and you forget about the rest of the bad stories about them and completely ignor simple physics! Good thing Randy Ulmer went away from them he was probably wounding too many 200" muleys! Man that guy is unreal! He uses a "average hunter bow" and shitty broadheads and still kills huge muleys and elk every year. Imagine if he shot a Mathews and spitfires! haha

SKYLINE
03-22-2013, 10:13 AM
pfffff JMO. Sure you Kill one huge stone ram with a rage and you forget about the rest of the bad stories about them and completely ignor simple physics! Good thing Randy Ulmer went away from them he was probably wounding too many 200" muleys! Man that guy is unreal! He uses a "average hunter bow" and shitty broadheads and still kills huge muleys and elk every year. Imagine if he shot a Mathews and spitfires! haha

He actually killed it with a NAP Killzone :mrgreen:.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

StoneChaser
03-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by mntbowhunter
Imagine if he shot a Mathews and spitfires! haha
probably end up on the street conrer begging for food...

With a cardboard sign reading "Feed us if you can!"

Ambush
03-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Killing big mulies became no challenge for Randy so he handi-capped himself with a Hoyt. :mrgreen: :-D

Hoyt for the frills, Mathews for the kills.

SKYLINE
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I sure hope a few more companies get on board with the carbon riser. I cant believe how much warmer they feel in hand when it's cold. I'm hoping for a carbon invasion one day.

StoneChaser
03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Killing big mulies became no challenge for Randy so he handi-capped himself with a Hoyt. :mrgreen: :-D

Hoyt for the frills, Mathews for the kills.

I'm hoping one day a hunting buddy of mine buys a new Mathews with the waffle iron grid riser...would be great to cook sheep ribs over the fire.

Bowtech to Kill'em...Mathews to Grill'em !

Ambush
03-22-2013, 09:25 PM
With all this trash talk, I think we need a bow hunting showdown!! :-D

We start with spring bear and finish January 15th. And may the best bow win!

Who's willing to put their brand loyalty to the test?

StoneChaser
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM

I've got no brand loyalty...I often own 2-3 different makes and models at time. Besides that, my bow hunting skills (or lack thereof) would not do any brand justice.

IF I do finally one day become brand loyal, we can settle it the old fashioned way....Indian leg wrestling at Darryl's next after party:mrgreen:

Ambush
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
So, when I do finally one day become brand loyal, we can settle it the old fashioned way....Indian leg wrestling at Darryl's next after party:mrgreen:

And you're automatically disqualified if you slosh any ice cubes out'a your drink!

jmo
03-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Can we count 2012 season!?

jmo
03-22-2013, 09:39 PM
The bowtech is hungry! He had an appetizer last year.

Ambush
03-22-2013, 09:40 PM
Can we count 2012 season!?

YOU had a killer 2012 season, so, no.

jmo
03-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Thats awesome

I'm hoping one day a hunting buddy of mine buys a new Mathews with the waffle iron grid riser...would be great to cook sheep ribs over the fire.

Bowtech to Kill'em...Mathews to Grill'em !

Krico
03-22-2013, 10:51 PM
I sure hope a few more companies get on board with the carbon riser. I cant believe how much warmer they feel in hand when it's cold. I'm hoping for a carbon invasion one day.

Is hoyt selling a ton of carbons? If so I'm guessing it's only a matter of time. As acceptance of the new technology grows, and sales rise the other bow makers will want a piece of the action. I'm guessing a few of them are working on it already.

mntbowhunter
03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Maybe we can sit in mine or Ambush's trophy room and discuss what bow has killed more? Me and Ambush will be loser pissed by then end of the night cause we will slient.....................I tell you what one of you can even drink from my Mathews mug!

I am definitely up for the challenge for this year too!

Hey who's coming to the Smithers 3D shoot at the end of the next month? After party at my house and the trash talking can continue! You have to leave your bowtechs, Hoyts, and elites in your truck though. Seriously that was fun at Daryl's house lets do it again at my house!

mntbowhunter
03-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Oh and it seems like Chris and Daryl win almost every shoot with a 6 year old Mathews bow! Boy those new Hoyts and Bowtechs arent even as acurate as an old Mathews! lol. Ok I shoot a new Mathews and I am middle of the pack but I still have a point! haha.

jmo
03-23-2013, 09:29 PM
If I have an early exit in the playoffs I'll be there. I'll bring the rum and JD! There might even be a bear or two poking its head out.

Maybe we can sit in mine or Ambush's trophy room and discuss what bow has killed more? Me and Ambush will be loser pissed by then end of the night cause we will slient.....................I tell you what one of you can even drink from my Mathews mug!

I am definitely up for the challenge for this year too!

Hey who's coming to the Smithers 3D shoot at the end of the next month? After party at my house and the trash talking can continue! You have to leave your bowtechs, Hoyts, and elites in your truck though. Seriously that was fun at Daryl's house lets do it again at my house!