PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable boats

ryanb
03-20-2013, 09:15 AM
I've searched previous threads on this topic and still had some question lingering so here goes.

I am thinking about getting a small inflatable. Primary uses will be:
1. drifting rivers, primarily for short fishing trips, so good manoeuvrability when rowing.
2. use on small lakes when camping.
3. fly-in lake hunts. So weight and size is pretty important.

Not planning on any big river hunting trips with it...got the jet boat for that.

Can anyone that has first hand experience with both hypalon and pvc comment on the difference?

Can anyone comment on a good size? I am thinking that the bigger sizes (10'+) will be a bit of a chore to manage with just oars when drifting rivers.

Lastly, there are a myriad of options out there...and they all seem pretty similar in finnish other than fabric used. What's a good brand that is good value.

Thanks for any comments that help me make a decision here.
Ryan

eric
03-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi Ryan, check out the Soar inflatables, very tough canoes. I have the 16 ft er, but if i was going to use it for hunting I would go with the PRO pioneer. They get used a lot up in Alaska on float trips for Moose.
Not cheap, but as in most things,quality costs.
I've had mine for 10 yrs now and not one problem with it.
And they will handle white water nicely
Oh ya one more thing, they can be used with a small outboard

ryanb
03-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Also, any comments from folks that have the air floor in zodiac style boats? The weight and portability advantages seem attractive.

BiG Boar
03-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Also, any comments from folks that have the air floor in zodiac style boats? The weight and portability advantages seem attractive.

I have a hypalon material boat made by achilles. It is 9-10 feet long. Can fish 3 with not much for gear. Definitely more of a 2 person boat. Normally I have a 4 horse on it, but have done up to 15 horse in which case it did get up on plane, but was starting to buckle under that much horse power. I think its max is 10. It is an air floor and has a slip together wood floor. Dimensions in package are about 1foot x 3 foot x 4 feet. I bought it specifically for fly ins (lighter weight with motor), drift hunting rivers, no separate gas tank on those small motors. Fishes 2-3 large bodies on small lake, can row it easily. The reason I went with hypalon is because PVC deteriorates in the sun (I think)

I bought mine used with a motor, and I am sure I could sell it for the same price I bought it.

I would say it weighs 70-90 lbs and the motor is another 40lbs. These are just guesses. Small motors burn less gas, which is less weight to bring in also. There are folding canoes, and folding boats also, but you don't see search and rescue using them. And you're probably going into some remote places. Though, they are more like a boat, I am not sure which would hold more weight.

ohotnik
03-21-2013, 04:06 PM
I have had both - hard floor and inflatable floor. After using the inflatable floor for the three last years, I would never go back to hard floor - inflatable floor is more comfortable, a breeze to assemble, more packable, lightweight etc. It has some drawbacks as well, but they are neglegible to me.

sheephunterab
03-21-2013, 05:40 PM
A high pressure air deck is the best of both worlds. Much more stable than an air floor but still light and compactable. Some good info in this youtube clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe8fvrFqMDA&list=UUJUu3yNOBWgnps9PtHpi0yA& index=7

Cordillera
03-21-2013, 05:57 PM
I am buying a cataraft this year for float hunts and putting on a motor for lakes. I looked at other options and for what you are looking at a kaboat looked really neat. Cheap, light and pretty maneuverable. Lighter for the load compared to a normal inflatable. Probably not as stable for the chuck. Google kaboat and check out the YouTube videos of a guy running rivers in Lapland.

albravo2
03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
ryan,
i just sold a watermaster. wonderful boats. probably smaller than what you're thinking of, but definitely worth a look. i could carry it on my back and it was very nimble on the rivers.

adriaticum
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Try Sea Eagle boats. I have one and they are pretty good.

ace76
03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Hey Ryan, look this up on your computer. alpackaraft.com the Denali llama is the one I'm getting. Hope this helps

Slime green cat
03-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Ive heard good things about these Saturn inflatables . I just ordered an electric pump and transom launch wheels for my Zodiac from these guys and the service was good. http://saturninflatableboats.ca/saturn-inflatable-boats.html one of the smaller ones under 10ft with the high pressure airdeck floor would probably be perfect for what you need .There is also lots of good info on this site about inflatables in general ..hypolan vs pvc .. air deck vs floor boards . Also lots of good accessories that will work with all brands of boats .It is a Canadian site too, so no shipping headaches and you are seeing prices in Canadian dollars.

srupp
03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
hmmm I have the ACHILLES 96 ... 9'6" It is the hypalon material.it has an inflatab;le keel and the wood floor aluminum joints, it folds up to a small package especially for fly in hunts. 100% happy and confident in the choice.highly recomended.

cheers
Steven

Cedar Cowgirl
03-29-2013, 06:05 AM
We have a 10ft Mercury Quicksilver. Its a great unit strong and stable a 7.5 Honda pushes it along very well.

ytlogger
03-29-2013, 07:43 AM
I use a Metzler, 11 foot I think they call it. They aren't made anymore so this is not a recommendation but it does have an inflatable hull and transom with a wood transom for motor mounting. I like the weight saving of the inflatable floor but you have to keep the pump handy. I can't find a leak but with cold water etc it requires occasional re-inflation to stay rigid.

Duidery
04-02-2013, 12:52 AM
I have 12'6" Zebec - I think I may have a pic in my gallery. They are a quality boat sold out of Edmonton. I have floated hundreds of kms of rivers up north and it has performed very well. It is PVC and holds up against the rocks well and is easy to maneuver by yourself when rowing. It comes with a hard plastic floor and keel but when floating the rivers, I leave the floor out and just use an air mattress for the floor. This prevents rocks from rubbing against the hard plastic floor. 12'6" isnt too big to maneuver in the water but it is a bit of a hassle to pack on land. Bought mine on a recommendation of a friend who has had his for around 8 years floating the rivers. I am very pleased with mine and recommend it. Let me know if you want any more info.