PDA

View Full Version : Initiation Hunting License

hopsing
03-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Wildlife Act amendments grow hunter recruitment

LAKE COUNTRY – Hunting just became more accessible to both youth and first-time hunters
with regulatory amendments to the Wildlife Act confirmed today by Forests, Lands and Natural
Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson at the Oceola Fish & Game Club annual banquet.

The amendments benefit resident hunters through an expanded Youth Hunting Licence and a
new Initiation Hunting Licence, both of which will be effective for the 2013/14 hunting season.
The changes to the Youth Hunting Licence now make it available for youth aged 10 to 17 years
inclusive. Previously, the age range of the Youth (‘junior’) Hunting Licence was 10 to 13 years.
This change will make it easier for youth ages 14 to 17 to give hunting a try and to have more
mentorship opportunities.

The amendments also create a new Initiation Hunting Licence, a mentoring licence that allows a
person 18 years or older who has never previously held a hunting licence in B.C. to try hunting
for a one-year period. It is a one-time-only licence.

Both licence options represent an opportunity for those new to hunting to try the experience
with a limited commitment and under the supervision of an experienced mentor. It is
anticipated that the new licence options will promote hunting uptake among B.C. residents and
provide another opportunity for families to get out and enjoy B.C.’s backcountry.

Been telling friends and families about this. Quite a few of them are really excited and thrilled
about it.

Does anyone knows how much and can you get it anywhere that sells licenses.

Steeleco
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I recall the original post and link to the news stating it's not starting till the 2014 hunting season. So your a year a head of the game.

SingleShot
03-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Will those over 18 years old that are applying for the "Initiation Hunting Licence" be required to have completed the CORE and PAL programs?

604redneck
03-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Will those over 18 years old that are applying for the "Initiation Hunting Licence" be required to have completed the CORE and PAL programs?
Nope they just have to be with someone that holds a license as anything shot by an initiate hunter goes against the mentors license

slamman190
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#initiation

Starts April 1, 2013, so you are good to go. Important to note is that the new hunter has no bag limit, so anything they shoot comes out of yours, or whoever is supervising them...

marcus44
03-20-2013, 11:00 AM
So now kids over 14, that had their own bag limits last year are forced to go back under a parents/supervisors bag limit? Great for new hunters, not so much for kids that have been hunting a few years now.

bighornbob
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
So now kids over 14, that had their own bag limits last year are forced to go back under a parents/supervisors bag limit? Great for new hunters, not so much for kids that have been hunting a few years now.
If the kid had his own bag limit that means he had a real license (not a jr. License) so nothing will change for them. They will continue to have their own bag limit.BHB

marcus44
03-20-2013, 11:40 AM
If the kid had his own bag limit that means he had a real license (not a jr. License) so nothing will change for them. They will continue to have their own bag limit.BHB

Ok that makes a bit more sense, with Core and a hunter number they can get a full license. Ty

Steeleco
03-20-2013, 04:15 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/#initiation

Starts April 1, 2013, so you are good to go. Important to note is that the new hunter has no bag limit, so anything they shoot comes out of yours, or whoever is supervising them...

I stand corrected, but that's a good thing!! My Daughter just turned 14 and isn't quite ready to take CORE. She can still hunt as a junior!!!

Iron Glove
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
I'll be signing up the wife and Son-In-Law as soon as the liscences are available.
I like the idea - it gives them a chance to see if they actually like hunting without going through the time & expense of CORE, etc.

andrewscag
03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
I agree. Good idea. It'll be interesting to see if it actually translates into more new hunters

Steeleco
04-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the government has made a mess of a simple thing. AGAIN.

Just today me and the kids went to the local big box outlet to licence and tag up.
In the process I'm told that my son who has his own hunter number needs to pay $32 yet I thought I read it was $19 for youth and initiation hunters. It's not at all so much the $13 difference just the principle.

So my son will wait till I get my head around the issue. Once home I start looking this stuff up. It seems that a person over 18 can get and pass core and still for the first year use the initiation licence and cut his own tags.

Q4.

Is a person who has completed the Conservation Outdoor Recreation Education eligible for an initiation hunting licence?

Yes, a person who has completed the Conservation Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) safety training examination is eligible for an initiation hunting licence, so long as he or she meets

the requirements outlined above

Q2.

Who is eligible to obtain an initiation hunting licence?
To be eligible for the initiation hunting licence, a person:

must be a B.C. resident,

must be 18 years or older,

must not have held a B.C. hunting licence in the past, with the exception of a youth
(junior) hunting licence, and

must be under the close personal supervision of a licensed adult who satisfies the
requirements to accompany.
The requirements to complete CORE and to hold a Hunter Number Card

are waived for this
one-

time
-only licence.

So which is it, your a hunter with your own tag or an initiation hunter on someone else's tags? If I'd passed my CORE why on earth would I need to be cutting someone else's tags. Plus there's the "cutting of another hunter's tags" issue. Some would call that poaching??

Please if I'm missing something, let me have it!!

Still searching for the fee for young hunters with their own tags LOL

604redneck
04-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the government has made a mess of a simple thing. AGAIN.

Just today me and the kids went to the local big box outlet to licence and tag up.
In the process I'm told that my son who has his own hunter number needs to pay $32 yet I thought I read it was $19 for youth and initiation hunters. It's not at all so much the $13 difference just the principle.

So my son will wait till I get my head around the issue. Once home I start looking this stuff up. It seems that a person over 18 can get and pass core and still for the first year use the initiation licence and cut his own tags.

So which is it, your a hunter with your own tag or an initiation hunter on someone else's tags? If I'd passed my CORE why on earth would I need to be cutting someone else's tags. Plus there's the "cutting of another hunter's tags" issue. Some would call that poaching??

Please if I'm missing something, let me have it!!

Still searching for the fee for young hunters with their own tags LOL
quite simple if u have never held any kind of license u get the initiation for 1 year only so if your son had a license and cut his own tags hes not elligible for the initiation license. the reason for the smaller fee is most likely to do with the fact they have to shoot off someone elses tags they arent buying a real hunting license, they are buying a "tag a long" license and most people will probably shoot one animal. thats how it was explained to me by someone who sits on the board

Steeleco
04-27-2013, 02:18 PM
I get the initiation bit, honest. But if a person that's 18 or older passes CORE do they then not become "HUNTERS"? and if in the first year using an initiation permit they accompany a seasoned hunter who allows them to cut his tag, has not an offense been committed? And all condoned by the new program??

BearSupreme
04-27-2013, 02:32 PM
You would think they would have an "Initiation Booklet" where you can put 1 tag in it or something. That would stop a lot of this confusion. On the other hand, if the government did something right the first time, what would they do all day? ;) lol

BearSupreme
04-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Steeleco, as for the youth license, it says they have changed the youth age range to 10-17 (which you might already know). According to the regs, and their website, youth licenses should be 7 bucks...

ruger#1
04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
You would think they would have an "Initiation Booklet" where you can put 1 tag in it or something. That would stop a lot of this confusion. On the other hand, if the government did something right the first time, what would they do all day? ;) lol Dont feel bad. I am still waiting for mine to come. I wont be entering any more of BCWF Hunting contests.

Steeleco
04-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Steeleco, as for the youth license, it says they have changed the youth age range to 10-17 (which you might already know). According to the regs, and their website, youth licenses should be 7 bucks...

Agreed, but as my son already has his hunter number he's not eligible for the the youth fee. I'm starting to think I'm wrong. I though all youth with a number we're only to pay $19 till age 18. Like I said, I'm not worried about the $13. It's just I think I found an oops while researching something else?

Steeleco
04-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Dont feel bad. I am still waiting for mine to come. I wont be entering any more of BCWF Hunting contests.

Didn't you win that last year? And you still haven't got it?

ruger#1
04-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Didn't you win that last year? And you still haven't got it? I won it in 2010. And every year I have to fight to get it. Almost May. I sent the BCWF a letter about it April 6 and no reply. I,am ready to cancel my Membership with them.

squamishhunter
08-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Not to drag up and old thread..... But how do I prove I have held 3 prior licenses as a prerequisite to being a "mentor"?

and no, I don't have all my past licenses, just my current and last seasons.

Muliechaser
08-13-2013, 07:25 AM
I would think to show old ur old lics . I keep all mine. Evert body should i keep racks everyyear so i suppose i have to keep mine. Maybe they can look up on the system and see that yoi have had lics for the last three years or .more? Id call a CO in your case and ask.

Mc

Not to drag up and old thread..... But how do I prove I have held 3 prior licenses as a prerequisite to being a "mentor"?

Gateholio
08-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Your BC hunter number should be proof enough. Or maybe you make a declaration, like when you lose a lic?