PDA

View Full Version : trying to find the right weight broadheads and tuning

darkside
03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
i'm shooting the new dna 352fps with 28 inch 200 pse sniper arrow

i was wondering if a 125gr head might give the arrow more stability in flight over a 100 gr head. i;ve tried thunder heads , muzzy, slick trick 4 blades, easton expandable. alot of different broad heads over the years. i have never been very lucky tunning my bow to shoot broad heads wondering if anyone in the victoria area sets up arrows gluing inserts to line up with fletchings squaring ends . and tunning the arrow so it will fly straight. i would provide the shafts fletched and knocks inserts, glue i don.t have a squaring tool or arrow tunner......

next would be practice with broad heads do you guys practice with broad heads or retune bow before the season starts each year. any thoughts to help thanks

Ambush
03-18-2013, 10:48 PM
The faster the arrow the harder it is to tune for broadheads. What's the actual spine rating for the #200 PSE Sniper? It should be on their website. That's the place to start. If you have the "need for speed" then you will have to learn how to deal with it's side affects.

But, a 125 grain head may well shoot better and it will likely give a more favorable FOC [forward of centre] for hunting purposes.

It is normally possible to get field points and broadheads to hit in the same spot, usually by moving your rest and then adjusting your sight accordingly.
Forget about aligning your fletch to your broad head blades, it does nothing.

I suspect that if you've always had this problem it's more your form than equipment. Draw length too long, maybe. Torquing or gripping.

tater
03-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Not to sound snotty, but is it perfectly tuned without broadheads? Have you bare-shafted or paper tuned it with the target points you have?

If it isn't perfectly tuned before the broadhead stage, you are just kind of wasting time.

allan
03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
I couldn't get broadheads to tune/shoot like field points until I took it to a local pro shop and had them adj what I thought was already good on my bow. After that, the only thing I ended up doing was adjusting my sights. I shoot montecs and field points exactly the same poi.
If your in the Fraser valley let me know and I can point you in the right direction for someone to help you.

bugler
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure how much that arrow weighs but as Ambush says, if you are going light to keep that speed up it will be more difficult to tune. Start with the arrow spine charts and ensure that you are in the correct range. Changing the head from 100 to 125 will change how suitable the spine is. Make sure that your arrow rest is adjusted so your arrow sits square to the string and is lined up with the centerline of your wheels/cams/string when you look down the arrow. If it is dual cam bow make sure they are properly timed. Some of this is best done by your pro shop but you can learn to check it yourself.

I shoot heavy arrows and have been able to tune the bow so that I don't have to adjust anything to shoot broadheads. You should be able to do it with a bit of tinkering.

darkside
03-19-2013, 09:33 PM
I had it set up at island outfitters victoria ,I think that might be my problem. Since day one this things been a nightmare. I took it back in to have them set it up again after the first go round.I believe that iam very close to sorting things out. i back tunned the bow but did not paper tune . i am shooting great groups out to 50yards and everything seem good. i'm guessing that i should hang up the paper. will i be waisting my time shooting these 200 arrows. i'd rather lose some speed and have consitent arrow flite..........

uraarchr
03-20-2013, 07:15 AM
.you said that you tried all those broadheads "over the years".So probably not all of em in your DNA?.try some different ones in your DNA.Id want to figure out if my bow was in tune first,shooting and grouping arrows good,and then fine tune for broadheads if necessary.I shoot a fast bow and it shoots ths slick tricks right with the field points:and they kill stuff too!!!I took my bow to a guy in kelowna who knows my type of bow for a tune check first.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-20-2013, 08:30 AM
ok ... first off I read that you have 28" arrows is that correct?

accorording to PSE .. the most poundage you should be pulling with a 28" 200 sniper is 63#
I highly suspect you are under spined as i suspect you are pulling close to 70 pounds to get 352 fps (witch is IBO rating for that bow... 350 grain arrow at 70 pounds at 30 inch draw)

If you were to put a 125 grain head on it .. you would throw the spine out even more and then your arrow will mimick a wet spagetti noodle coming out of your bow ... if anything I would lighten up your draw weight .. or put a lighter head on the arrow.

http://www.archeryshop.com.au/p/4941212/carbon-force-sniper-arrows-with-2-blazer-like-vanes-dz.html

I personally would move up to 300 series .... because those cams are super agressive they tend to like the heavier spined arrows

darkside
03-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Well thanks to all who replied i came to the conclusion that the arrows are under spined for that draw weight as i tried paper tunning i realized that i would only accomplish good impact if i let the bow off. i did and now broadheads and feild points are grouping nicely. is there a fine line between over and under spined arrows????? or should i go and get a few 300 series and try them......and brands any suggestion thanks darkside