PDA

View Full Version : Swollen brusing on the returned pup..

KDMC67
03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
4357So I got back one of my pups last week,,7 month old GWP..he is a really nice boy...your typical goofy funny to smart for his own good kinda GWP....when I got him back the guy had been having a bruse treated by the vet..I guess the pup was playing with other dogs and ran full speed into something sharp..the area that is bruse filled up with fluid.the vet drained it and had a look to make sure there was nothing in it,,poor guy had 20 something staples in his left side..right on his ribs.I guess they tried tubes to drain,,but the pup kept pulling them out,,,I got him on monday of last week,,since I have had him the swelling has gone down a lot,,but this morning its turned hard and its a ball size about duck egg size....I have been icing,,and putting some linament on it,,trying to keep the swelling down,,anyone have any other ideas...I really dont know the full story behind what happend to the pup ,,other than he ran into something.....I wish we still could get DMSO,,that I know works for this kind of thing..I just hope with time the lump get smaller,,it may still,,I am just feeling bad that the pup came back in this kind of shape.. the dark spot on his left side is where the bruse is,,he has been shaved down of course..the lump is much smaller now,,so any helpful ideas would be great...thanks in advance....

bccanadian
03-17-2013, 09:07 AM
It could be forming a cyst, a pocket of fluid, under the skin. Your vet may have to drain it again or if it has indeed hardened under the skin, have to reopen it to remove anything clotted. Best thing to do is see the vet again.

Don't put off going to the vet too long or worse case scenario, it could abscess.

Foxton Gundogs
03-17-2013, 09:20 AM
I hate drain tubes, I have never had any luck with them. I use a larg gauge horse penicilin needle and insurt it in the abcess to drain it no cutting no stitches. you may have to do it a couple of times but combined with antibiotics it usually clears up fast.

KDMC67
03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
well I am starting to think it may be scar tissue now,,its been drained a few times,,,its not hot,,,I just talked to the wife of the guy who had the pup,,again not much info on what really happened..but she told me it has been opened twice by the vet,,I will take pup up to see the vet again,,,there is no weeping from where the drain tubes had been,,as they left the holes from it open,,no smell..,,lets hope its scar tissue,,that would be easier to deal with,,than abess,,or anything else...

Foxton Gundogs
03-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Have your vet request the pups files from the previous vet. but you could be right one of my springers had a big lump on its foot we checked and tried to drain it turned out it was a calcifiedmend in a broken toe from a kennel fight................DOGS! SHEEZ

ruger#1
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
My GSP has a lump on her back the size of a chicken egg. The vet tried to get fluid out of it and nothing could be extacted. He said it was more likely scar tissue. She has had it for four years. and is ten now. I hope your pup is going to be okay.

KDMC67
03-17-2013, 11:17 AM
thanks folks,,he is very happy and active,,no worries there..I will talk to the pups vet this week,,and get all the info,,,wasnt able to get to talk with them last week..but for sure I will be this week,,someone is coming from the mainland to look at him,,so hofefully he gets a new forever home..he really needs his own people..if I made tons of money I would keep him,,as it is 4 is a good handful...cost me less to keep my 4 horses than it does my 4 dogs....lol...

KDMC67
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
starting to clear up,,bump is getting smaller..but I think its going to take some time...vet was to booked to get in just yet..because its not an emergancy I have to wait to talk with her or him....its a pain living in a small town,with limited vet access...but everything is looking good...thanks again for all your input...

Buckman
03-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Don't know where you live but you can buy DMSO in the states at health food stores

KDMC67
03-21-2013, 01:16 AM
I am on the Island,,maybe someone I know is heading that way,thanks I will ask next time a buddy heads down that way...

KDMC67
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Things are healing nicely,,even better I found this guy his new forever home..in a busy out of doors , hunting home....

Cedar Cowgirl
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
congrats I'm a sap for happy endings