PDA

View Full Version : Drop away rest recommendations?

XMD70
03-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Thinking about replacing the whisker biscuit rest on my bow (Diamond Razor Edge). I use this bow for hunting. Opinions?

The Dawg
03-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Code red hands down

http://www.ripcordarrowrest.com/

Lozzie
03-15-2013, 11:58 PM
x2 Ripcord code red

It works the way it should and I've never heard of a mechanical failures, like I have with the Qad rest.

Ambush
03-16-2013, 12:01 AM
X3 on the Code Red.

mikeboehm
03-16-2013, 12:06 AM
X4. X5. X6. X7. X8. X9. And so on

code red all the way

2tins
03-16-2013, 03:50 AM
QAD Ultra Rest HD. I had the code red last time and went back to an ultra because when you let down the launcher stays up and your arrow remains contained. Both awesome rests.

elitehuntergreg
03-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Code red any day you can keep that expensive qad, ill get something that won't fail and works !

pnbrock
03-16-2013, 07:27 AM
qad is better hands down,won't drop arrows if u need to release your draw.

StoneChaser
03-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Some folks compare the lower priced ENTRY level QAD hunter model (not the same guts as the higher priced models) to the Code Red. The higher models (with the lock down feature) are an entirely different rest.

I've also heard a few (on this website) claim they had QAD's not drop fast enough....which is poor installation plain and simple. I've set up over a dozen of them on some pretty fast bows (IBO 343-350 fps) and had no problems (once I've done my part to set them up correctly).

In my experience with both, the QAD has a superior containment bar, let down feature (Code Red gives you a rubber stick on pad for your arrow to drop onto), and is quieter than the Code Red at the shot (I do like the rubber coated Code Red launcher idea though).

Code red is a good rest, but look around at a bunch and I'll bet money that most (all?) that use them have removed the containment bar (held on by a single screw in a shallow mortise....flops around on every one I've seen until they get yanked off - defeating the containment feature).

Make mine a QAD HDX... Quiet, full containment, easy installation, stays up on let down, and just plain works....sold my first (and last) Code Red a week after I bought it.

hunter1993ap
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
i have the code red, i dont know if i like the idea of the rest staying up when you draw down for the slight chance that it might happen on an animal. my code red has worked every time so i have no complaints. the containment arm was taken off but the sight holds my arrow in so it doesnt matter. if i was to design the code red i would have little bumps when the rest is down to somewhat hold the arrow as it is very dificult to draw the bow when the rest is down and keep the arrow in the right spot.

mcrae
03-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I use a Limbdriver. Its a no hassle rest.

RoscoeP
03-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Look at the APA twister.

SKYLINE
03-16-2013, 10:16 AM
I do like my Ripcord but have to admit that the containment arm is lame and I wish the launcher would stay up after letdown. If they fix that it will be tough to beat!

afflicted 1
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I have a couple of code reds and like them. But I put on a limb driver pro v and find it more forgiving with being able to adjust the launcher arm tension so far it's been great IMHO this is on a vector 32 that was being a bag to tune

Mugger
03-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Why do you want to change from a biscuit for hunting are you having a problem with it. Hunting with one myself never had an issue.

Riverbc
03-16-2013, 05:04 PM
QAD Ultra HDX

tshort
03-16-2013, 05:12 PM
i did the same thing to my diamond razor edge with a qad pro series. amazing my shots were hitting 2ft from where i was aiming that's how much of an improvement it made on my bow.

XMD70
03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Starting to sound like the QAD has a bit of an advantage over the Ripcord. I like the idea that it holds onto the arrow better and has a more durable containment arm. Do I assume both fit well on a Razor Edge and are easy to set up?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Why do you want to change from a biscuit for hunting are you having a problem with it. Hunting with one myself never had an issue.

I switched from a biscuit to a QAD ultra HDX. Drawing with the QAD is waaaaaaaay quieter. Arrows moving through the whiskers is 10x louder. Got busted a few times drawing using the biscuit based on sound alone.
Also my groups tightened up considerably.

SSS

Bowzone_Mikey
03-17-2013, 09:05 AM
I use Code reds on both my compound bows .... the QAD is a great rest ... but something that has so many variables to work properly is destined to fail .... Murphy says it will fail at the worst possible time ... That is why I stay away from it

pnbrock
03-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Found same thing as SSS stated I've never had better grouping.

Downwind
03-17-2013, 09:39 AM
No love for the Trophy Ridge Revolution? I put it on my new bow and it is awesome. You can turn the upside down and the arrow won't fall out. Super quiet on the draw and only rotates on release. Never had a failure, super easy to set up and adjust.

Superdeuce
03-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Like my QAD, but I am sure the Ripcord is equally good by all acounts. In fact, if I had bought my rest "after" getting my current bow, I probably would have got the Code Red as it would have just looked "cooler" on a blackout Matrix :)

Stéphane
03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
I have a QAD ultrarest HDX. Last December in the tree stand, it wouldn't lock up in place. After many tries, it finally latched on. Around -10˚C. It did a second time just as I was about to shoot a grouse. Again, it took several attempts for it to catch. I later learned from other hunter who had that issue that I needed push the fork in (towards the mechanism) to make it work when this problems occurs.

I contacted QAD and they offered me 3 options: send it back to who sold it to me, send it back to them, or send $10 and they would ship expedited to me. I chose #2.

Now I got my rest back. Works great, but it's way above -10˚C. We'll see in the winter.

To have issues is possible, how you deal with it is where it counts in my book. QAD responded well on that account.

Having said all that, Ripcord seems like a great buy. If you think that having the fork staying up when you don't take a shot after full draw is REALLY important (I don't think it is anymore, but I did when I bought it), then the QAD is your best bet.

Ron.C
03-18-2013, 08:58 PM
I've had the same Ripcord on my bow for over 4 years. Never had an issue with it.

brianhogg19
03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Both code red and QAD make great products, the one rest i have seen and shot in my opinion has the best design just the mechanics arent there to help it any would be the trivane. Absolutely brilliant design, to bad they break so easily :P Right now im shooting with QAD, until the trivane is actually usable in the field.

pappy
04-07-2013, 12:47 PM
I had a wiskerbiscut on my last bow, I just bought a bowtech assassin with the rak package and replaced the octane rest with a code red. I like it a lot and its easy to adjust.

Nolan1973
04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
I had the code red on my apa mamba7 when I put a quad on the wife's jewel. I liked the quad so much that i put it on my new creed. for me it's quad all the way