PDA

View Full Version : Buck Field dressing kit

Moe.JKU
03-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Hey I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this field dressing kit. I was looking to start purchasing a new one. I like it because it was light and compact. But is it complete.http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/knives-tools/knife-sets/paklite-fieldmaster-kit/prod297625.html there is the link

doddatto
03-15-2013, 06:22 PM
I like it, I was looking for a kit like this as it has the gut hook and i am a noob so i dont know if you would wana take my advice.

pnbrock
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
whatever happened to using the buck knife and rolling up your sleeves? as a precaution knives get slippery when blood covered choose a good grip.

longstonec
03-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Looking at those knives, they are not going to be nice on your hands to use, especially once they get insides on them. I tried a "gut hook" once and found it to be a pain in the rear. Buy a Havalon for a fraction of the price, or use a OLFA knife with carpet cutting blades if you really want a gut hook. Far cheaper, far better, and waaaaay sharper.

Or as said above, get yourself a good belt knife, I carry a Dunn on my belt and a havalon piranha in my pocket and pretty much only use the havalon. a small saw like a silke pocket boy is great for cutting bones. If you can shave your arm hair off your good to go!

Weatherby Fan
03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
I've used a Wyoming knife gut hook for 25 yrs simple and quick, looks like a neat kit but I'm not one to spend much money on knives, after my gut hook I've always used a $6 victorianox serrated blade knife nothing more.

tuffteddyb
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
the handles are slippery,i have the knives.
used the lil one on rabbits,loved the blade shape ,but couldnt hang
on to them when wet.
use the big one in the truck for cutting twine and rope and wire.

Moe.JKU
03-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys i'll keep those ideas in mind just thought that I would stick with a brand name but the handles were something that concerned me. Cheers

eastkoot
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Spend you money on one (1) good knife and roll up your sleeves. Nothing one good one can't do.. Too many "gimmicks" that people seem to be drawn to..

Fella
03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Any suggestions for combating slippery handles?

mike 458
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Ask your local butcher what he uses. He has a knife in his hand everyday unlike most who only use it a few times a year. I know the guys out at Interior cute rite were great to me.

Farmer001
03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
I have a few knives but my hunting partner has used a Swiss army knife for the past 10 yrs and he usually fills his tags or takes people out to fill theirs. Personally seen that knife gut a lot of critters and uses a xacto for caping. Think he finally bought a new one this year because he lost it. As for slippery knife you should have some paper towel anyway, snot rag/ wipe rain out of scope etc. Stick with the basics and spend the rest on gas.

M.Dean
03-18-2013, 08:35 PM
My Wife bought me a Kershaw knife years ago, it's got a black rubber handle that's real easy to use even all covered in blood and guts! It comes with a normal blade, a good skinning blade and a bone saw. Each blade fit's onto the handle by lifting up the end catch, putting in the blade you want, then closing it down. I was real skeptical at first that there was no way the blades would fit in there with out lots of side to side movement or just plainly coming loose! I can't count all the Deer and Moose that knife has cleaned over the years, and never have had a problem with it yet! Except once!!! I used the blade to pry open a pelvis on a Deer or some dam animal and the clasp that holds the blades in got sloppy, so I squeezed it with a pair of pliers and it worked just fine again! I e-mailed the factory and asked if it was OK to just squeeze the clasp together if it opens up, they sent me a brand new handle!!! They also said that at the end of the season, pack the knife up good, send it to them, and they'll sharpen all three blades for free! Can't beat that! I've got lots of different types of knives for hunting and over the years what I've found out how easy it is to run your hand along the knife blade when your cutting out the rear of the gut bag, Dam that hurts!!! What I've tried and tested and it works, is the Kids Hockey tape, it's only good for one gutting, then it looks real shitty all covered in guck, but it's a real cheap way to be able to use your wooden or bone handled knives and not cut your fingers dam near off! Good Luck in the up and coming season!

Fred1
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Gut hooks... They take some getting used to, but once you got it, they are slick!! The one in the Buck package... It has a flat cutting hook - hard to sharpen. The Wyoming knife is the one! - exacto type repalcable blades! I think most will find the knife gut hook combo (knife with a gut hook on top of the blade) a PIA... hook gets hung up. All being said... I lost my gut hooks and havent replaced them. A simple knife with a drop point and a good field stone is a all you really need. Buck 119 and a diamond stone. The 119 isnt the hardest steel out there and is easy to sharpen and they are relatively cheap - doesnt hurt so much when I lose one. Good versitile hunting/camp knife. I havent tried the Havalon yet, but will throw one in my pack for next fall - chit maybe even learn to cape? :) On an observation thru the years... most will find a smaller knife easier to use.
AND remember... if some one gives you a knife, its good ju-ju to give them a coin in return!

moosinaround
03-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Havlon knives always surgically sharp, non slip handle, and lite! A buck fixed blade and a diamond steel, my wetterlings hatchet, and some game bags or pillow cases! Field dressing kit complete! Maybe some kimtowels to wipe off the blood! Moosin

Timberjack
03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Havlon knives always surgically sharp, non slip handle, and lite! A buck fixed blade and a diamond steel, my wetterlings hatchet, and some game bags or pillow cases! Field dressing kit complete! Maybe some kimtowels to wipe off the blood! Moosin

That's the best advice so far - though I've never had the need for a hatchet... I use a few kimtowels, but also throw in a travel pack of baby wipes... Good for other things too...

TJ

adriaticum
03-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Spend you money on one (1) good knife and roll up your sleeves. Nothing one good one can't do.. Too many "gimmicks" that people seem to be drawn to..

Have 2. One folding and one fixed blade. Just in case you lose one or it breaks for some reason. Always have more than 1 knife.