PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Turkeys?

Tuckster
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm an avid turkey hunter who just moved to Van last year from Ontario. Am looking to get back into it this spring.

Anyone know where i have to go to find some turkeys? I assume the Okanagen area? Any thoughts where I might be able to hunt?

Also, If anyone has a place to hunt birds and wouldn't mind a partner, let me know. I am a pretty accomplished turkey hunter, i have got one or two birds every year for the past 8. I am a good caller and know all the tricks about approach, setup and decoy placement. If anyone is interested, i can trade help and advice bagging these wary creatures for a place to go.

PM me if interested!

Cheers

300H&H
03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome to BC.
Turkeys are most abundant in the Kootanys and near the boarder.
Start by looking through the past threads and posts here on HBC.
If you really get stuck for a place let me know and I will send you in the right direction.

.300WSMImpact!
03-15-2013, 11:50 PM
there is a few turkeys in the Okanagon, but the further you go east the better peaking in Creston. But for me its been all luck I call like fingers on a chalk board and tromp around the bush like a pack of giants and the turkeys seem to come running, good luck to you!!!

300H&H
03-17-2013, 11:40 AM
there is a few turkeys in the Okanagon, but the further you go east the better peaking in Creston. But for me its been all luck I call like fingers on a chalk board and tromp around the bush like a pack of giants and the turkeys seem to come running, good luck to you!!!

So thats how you do it.
I talked to a guy very close to where I hunt, and he told me the turkey population is well down from previous years.
Predation being the biggest factor.
Last year the birds were VERY quiet and I never saw a mature tom, first season ever.
As it has been mentioned before, the range of turkeys is expanding.
In the future I can see a huge problem with the grape growers here in the valley.
Turkeys love grapes !
Practice your calling...the opening day is in just 28 more sleeps.

gobble...cluck...purrr

bcbrez
03-17-2013, 01:27 PM
check out the turkey contest threads from the last couple years. Might get some advice off there.

.300WSMImpact!
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
So thats how you do it.
I talked to a guy very close to where I hunt, and he told me the turkey population is well down from previous years.
Predation being the biggest factor.
Last year the birds were VERY quiet and I never saw a mature tom, first season ever.
As it has been mentioned before, the range of turkeys is expanding.
In the future I can see a huge problem with the grape growers here in the valley.
Turkeys love grapes !
Practice your calling...the opening day is in just 28 more sleeps.

gobble...cluck...purrr

low turkey numbers, your scaring me, I hope the people telling you are wrong!

boscheefish
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
low numbers, yes.............that's what id say too...............

the best way to be sure is to be looking for birds now,

.300WSMImpact!
03-17-2013, 04:03 PM
low numbers, yes.............that's what id say too...............

the best way to be sure is to be looking for birds now,

are we talking region 8?

dragonslayer
03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Question ? How can the turkey numbers be so low from predators alone , if they are that elusive and skidish how can preditors get them and we can't, calls, camo, every thing, and we have a hard time and still none left or are they getting smarter?:confused:

boscheefish
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I think the predator problems really only effect the new borns in my opinion,
, once they can fly things are much better for them, unless owls maybe also target them?

boscheefish
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM
are we talking region 8?

hope u caught my sarcasm, yes region 8 has birds, but not nearly the amounts as region 4,

Brez
03-18-2013, 06:51 AM
, once they can fly things are much better for them, unless owls maybe also target them?

Predators are way harder on them than we are. If a bobcat learns that they are easy pickings when roosting at night, it can wipe out a flock.

boscheefish
03-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Predators are way harder on them than we are. If a bobcat learns that they are easy pickings when roosting at night, it can wipe out a flock.

yeah I could see that being a problem too , where I hunt turkeys I see a lot of bobcats, more of them than turkeys that's for sure,

biggyun68
03-18-2013, 01:45 PM
So should we take the Bobcat too?

Brez
03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
So should we take the Bobcat too?

Could get a cool mount done with the two.

Brez
03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Hey tuckster, I don't see anyone giving away their secret spot. pm me. if you'll travel to between Grand Forks and Creston.

300H&H
03-22-2013, 08:03 AM
low turkey numbers, your scaring me, I hope the people telling you are wrong!

Sad but true. This person who told me lives & hunts that area and the population is down.

are we talking region 8?

Yes reg. 8

Question ? How can the turkey numbers be so low from predators alone , if they are that elusive and skidish how can preditors get them and we can't, calls, camo, every thing, and we have a hard time and still none left or are they getting smarter?:confused:

Yes, they are much smarter than they used to be before we started to hunt them.

It seems "cats" are the biggest predator.

Hey tuckster, I don't see anyone giving away their secret spot. pm me. if you'll travel to between Grand Forks and Creston.

I am taking Dad east this year...can I PM you for some info ?

biggyun68
03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Thank-you: A mount does sound cool:

Brez
03-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Well, I was out in the yard an hour or so ago, picking up frozen dog poo (-6C) just as the sun peeked over the mountain and I heard a turkey gobble. Got me thinking about this thread and a couple of pm's sent my way inquiring where to go for turkeys. I have said in the past, "anywhere from Grand Forks to Elko". True, and not.
I have found that early on in the season, they are "herded up" in the lowest elevations where it greens up the quickest. This means that they will probably be concentrated on private property and any hunter will have to do their homework and get permission to have a good chance. After a week or so of hunting pressure, the birds will have scattered somewhat and will move up the mountains or flown across the valleys as the food becomes available.
Most of the birds that I've gotten have been in the 3rd or 4th week. There are very few other hunters in the field and although, not as concentrated, the turkeys are just about everywhere.
If you'd rather not drag race to a spot or rather not have a calling competition with dozens of other hunters, I'd suggest trying a little later. They will be a lot smarter, and alert, but that just adds to the fun.
Good luck everyone.

huntwriter
03-23-2013, 03:40 PM

Human hunters, unlike animal predators, are very predictable in their behaviour patterns in addition to being clumsy, and therefore are not a real threat to turkey populations. The reason why our turkey populations fluctuate and never will reach the numbers like south of the border are because that our predator population is too big. Predators like coyotes, raccoons, opossums and bobcats, to mention a few, have turkey on their diet plan. While most predators seldom kill an adult bird they really can put a dent into the number of eggs that will hatch and chicks that will grow old enough to fly. The first step to managing turkey populations successfully is to severally reduce predators to ensure consistent flourishing numbers of turkeys. Here in BC we do not have a turkey conservation program in place, and until we have we will never see large turkey populations.

There are some other factors that play into it but none as severe as predators.

palmer
03-23-2013, 04:12 PM
I see Turkeys almost everyday over winter and have done for the past 13yrs.....from the flocks that I see, numbers look down about 50%.....and no its not science I just count numbers in the same flocks every year and all flocks seem down about half...but still good numbers to hunt....

Moose Guide
03-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Owls and Racoons take them out of the trees at night and Eagles take them during the day, and yes, the population is dropping!

ARC
03-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I noticed a big drop off in numbers last year. Why are the predators just becoming a problem now? The turkeys have been established for awhile, just more predators all around now? Any other possible reasons for the reduction? I know last year was a longer winter than past winters, as there was still snow in areas where I typically hunt them snow free, could this have anything to do with it? I imagine they could be susceptible to die-offs during longer winters as they approach the northern limit of their range???

huntwriter
03-23-2013, 05:57 PM
I noticed a big drop off in numbers last year. Why are the predators just becoming a problem now? The turkeys have been established for awhile, just more predators all around now? Any other possible reasons for the reduction? I know last year was a longer winter than past winters, as there was still snow in areas where I typically hunt them snow free, could this have anything to do with it? I imagine they could be susceptible to die-offs during longer winters as they approach the northern limit of their range???

As turkey populations started to grow they attracted more predators. The winter is not a very big problem, unless it is a severe winter, the Merriam's turkey sub-species is more winter hardy that others. Cold and wet springs are more of problem for turkeys. Turkeys do not sit on their nest over night, if the weather is cold for several days the embryos will die. A wet and cool spring results in a large kill off (pneumonia) of turkey chicks. Add to that the predator pressure from the ground, in the trees and from the sky and the problem of why we will never have large numbers of turkeys and drastically fluctuating populations become obvious.

huntwriter
03-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Owls and Racoons take them out of the trees at night and Eagles take them during the day, and yes, the population is dropping!

Adult turkeys are to big to take for owls and raccoons. When the young chicks are ready to fly into the trees, about at one week of age, they too are quite safe from owls and racoons, they huddle up to the mother and she will defend them fiercely. The problem for the chicks is when they are still unable to fly and stay on the ground. It is there where raccoons, owls, eagles, coyotes and cats can literally wipe an entire flocks offspring out.

palmer
03-23-2013, 06:36 PM
On the bright side they were gobbling in the sun today....as always breeding starts as soon as snow goes...

.300WSMImpact!
03-23-2013, 06:58 PM
well I still cant wait to see the birds, maybe you can go back to the seven year theory as my old grandfather use to say, either way I am confident a bunch of guys on here will have good opportunity at birds

heyblast
03-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Question. Why are there no turkeys in the lower mainland.

palmer
03-23-2013, 07:20 PM
There are LOTS of TURKEYS in LM....just not the feathered type

huntwriter
03-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Question. Why are there no turkeys in the lower mainland.

Wait another 5 to 6 years and they will have migrated to the LM too. Actually there are a few that came in from a small colony of eastern wild turkeys that have been released just south of the border.
The LM actually would be ideal habitat for turkeys, plenty food (natural and agricultural) throughout the year and relatively mild winters.

fishingguy44
03-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Can anyone help a newbie on a general location to find some turkeys. Im in the LML but willing to drive a few hours.

heyblast
03-23-2013, 08:40 PM
I've always thought it would be perfect habitat Huntwriter, surprised they aren't here now.

300H&H
03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
On the bright side they were gobbling in the sun today....as always breeding starts as soon as snow goes...

That is great news. April 15th is not far away now.

well I still cant wait to see the birds, maybe you can go back to the seven year theory as my old grandfather use to say, either way I am confident a bunch of guys on here will have good opportunity at birds

I also believe in a 7 year cycle. Are you going to make it for opening morning or the first weekend ? Saw your truck at that house off Gordon near Capri mall.

Can anyone help a newbie on a general location to find some turkeys. Im in the LML but willing to drive a few hours.

I will send you a PM. Good luck

GoatGuy
03-24-2013, 03:09 PM
West of Hope and East of the Pacific.

.300WSMImpact!
03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
That is great news. April 15th is not far away now.

I also believe in a 7 year cycle. Are you going to make it for opening morning or the first weekend ? Saw your truck at that house off Gordon near Capri mall.

I will send you a PM. Good luck

Ya I am building that duplex there, I am leaving thursday night 18th, are you gonna be there for opening day?

tuner
03-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Wait another 5 to 6 years and they will have migrated to the LM too. Actually there are a few that came in from a small colony of eastern wild turkeys that have been released just south of the border.
The LM actually would be ideal habitat for turkeys, plenty food (natural and agricultural) throughout the year and relatively mild winters.
we ran into a large flock of turkeys on west pavillion fsr north of lilloette about 4 years ago, it was a total surprise to see them there,i pressumed they had been transplanted there ,although i don't know for a certain.

huntwriter
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
we ran into a large flock of turkeys on west pavillion fsr north of lilloette about 4 years ago, it was a total surprise to see them there,i pressumed they had been transplanted there ,although i don't know for a certain.

The birds "escaped" from private property. ;) Probably all dead by now. We have one confirmed sighting of wild turkeys (2 birds, a hen and jake) near Merritt. The local CO's took pictures of the birds and sent them to me for identification. The birds near Lilloette are a domesticated variety of the Merriam's purchased from a hatchery, as mentioned they "escaped". It might be from the same people that contacted me a few years ago wanting my advice on turkey habitat management and turkey introduction options. I declined my consultant service because they did not have written permission from the government to conduct turkey introduction programs.

boxhitch
03-24-2013, 08:42 PM
consultant servicenow I've heard it all

The Dawg
03-24-2013, 09:28 PM
The local CO's took pictures of the birds and sent them to me for identification.. I thought this was good too

bassplayer
03-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Consultant? Aren't CO's already trained in making the identification of a species?

biggyun68
03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
What happened tot he Turkey's introduced to the South Island?

300H&H
03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Ya I am building that duplex there, I am leaving thursday night 18th, are you gonna be there for opening day?

It now looks like I am going to make opening morning with Dad.
Should we not be successful I will be going back the second or third week.

.300WSMImpact!
03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
It now looks like I am going to make opening morning with Dad.
Should we not be successful I will be going back the second or third week.

are you staying through the weekend?

GoatGuy
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Already at carrying capacity.

300H&H
03-28-2013, 08:57 PM
are you staying through the weekend?

If after the first 10 mins I don't get my tom I most likely will.

Squirrel
05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
heading west tomorrow from the rockies to look for turkeys. Can you suggest a good spot.

The Dawg
05-14-2013, 12:42 PM
heading west tomorrow from the rockies to look for turkeys. Can you suggest a good spot.

Save on Foods. Superstore.

Brez
05-14-2013, 12:47 PM
west of the Rockies is good.......just remember to stop before you see the coast.
Seriously, how far are you going?

Scuba_Dave
05-14-2013, 03:26 PM
I actually just saw a Tom in the middle of the road on West Saanich yesterday afternoon!!! Totally surprised me cause i figured they hadn't made it as a population...I guessed wrong!!! Healthy looking guy too!!