PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunt help

fishingguy44
03-14-2013, 08:31 AM
I am planning a region 4 elk hunt this September as they have a GOS for antlerless and any bull. also whitetail and mulies. I may have a lead on a farm but if that falls threw I am rally torn on where to go...Cranbrook? Creston? Kimberly? please help narrow this down. also if there is another bow hunter that wants to tag along that would be great.

huntingpg
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Hunt where u live we don't need and more people over in the kootenays are elk numbers are half of what they were 4 years ago

seymourpats1
03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Huntingpg, are you joking? I hope so, I wish people from Vancouver didn't come hunt at shuswap, but! No one has a right to tell them not to, I can go anywhere I care to, in the province. If you are from pg? According to your logic you can't go to the kootenays

lip_ripper00
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Hunt where u live we don't need and more people over in the kootenays are elk numbers are half of what they were 4 years ago

So what exactly are trolls on these forum websites? I keep reading on this site and others that there are trolls? What constitutes trolls? Moosin

Bingo!! hear you go!

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2013, 04:51 PM

HeHeHe I feel somewhat responsible about your comments.........your right everytime I go there there's less elk !

BlacktailStalker
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM

Must be good there, gonna tell all my friends and post it on Facebook how good it is!!! Can't wait, EK bound with friends and friends of friends !

huntingpg
03-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Must be good there, gonna tell all my friends and post it on Facebook how good it is!!! Can't wait, EK bound with friends and friends of friends !

Nice ill bring all my cat hunter friends over to the island and kill every cat we tree

budismyhorse
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Enjoy!

She's a learning process!

truth is you have as good a chance in any of those spots.......Depends on the type of hunt you are into.......mountains? Flat stuff? Do you want to spot and stalk or call?

make sure you hammer google earth to see what different areas are like.

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
It's a good hunt in the cranbrook area, I have had great success in the early season there. Lots of elk, piles of white tails. Take a day or two and scout around you will find elk in the trench.

I hunt there in October,depending on the weather for us,no problem finding Elk around Cranbrook,see lots of legal bulls everytime were there and lots of Whitetail and Mule deer.....yes contrary to popular belief we see a fair bit of Mule Deer also.
If you don't mind hiking no problem getting an Elk

rocksteady
03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
The antlerless bow season is also only in zone x... Below 1100 metres....

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2013, 05:45 PM

By the way your more than welcome to come down here and hunt in the lower mainland :wink:

Farmer001
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Elk in West Koots and Peace river also, trick is to find them. There are areas where you can get any bull in East Koots, but very very busy. Daughter and I went over opening day and sat in one area that figured if you hike for an hour you should see very few people. Seen 6 people in the area before 7am and another 3 on the hike out. Amount of road hunters were insane. But seen a few nice bulls get dropped. Met lots of good people and had a good time. Pick a spot, hunt like hell and have some fun. Noticed that the whitetail doe population has been hit hard since the GOS season though.

.300WSMImpact!
03-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Its a tough hunt, I went to one of the areas you talking about, saw lots of elk, it was more of a spot and stalk, couldn't get close enough for a shot but it was a fun trip

BlacktailStalker
03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Nice ill bring all my cat hunter friends over to the island and kill every cat we tree

Sounds good ! Don't forget keys to the gates, dogs that can run slushy washed out tracks and don't get stuck in the rocks ! Oh and don't forget, you're only allowed two or then you'd be a poacher and a tool for trying to tell BC residents where they can or can't hunt !

NaStY
03-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Geeze i always miss the good threads.......................

rocksteady
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Ibtl... Nother one going sideways...

TheProvider
03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Hunters are a friendly bunch. Thank you kindly in advance for staying out of my mountains and not shooting my animals. This includes the area north of the Canadian/USA border and west of the British Columbia/Alberta border.

seymourpats1
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I think everyone kinda has place where they consider it there own, and hate seeing hunters in Those spots. But its a fact of life.I've recently noticed two people posting threads about hunting near where I hunt, (2 diff management units) i replied and passed on other little knowledge I had that could help. That's what this forum is about, or should be, you don't have to tell them where you have a fifty inch moose tied up. I'm am anxiously awaiting spring to hear from the both of them, I hope they get there griz. U know what? Little grizzly babies will grow up and maybe I'll go shoot one next year.
And to huntingpg I hope you have a great season too!! Hopefully far away from me!!

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Hunters are a friendly bunch. Thank you kindly in advance for staying out of my mountains and not shooting my animals. This includes the area north of the Canadian/USA border and west of the British Columbia/Alberta border.

LMAO some of those area 4 guys are kinda of like the fella's back east that want to separate !

TheProvider
03-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Google Earth is your friend. Hiking an hour from the road isnt considered getting away from the crowd when theres hundreds of hunters. Depending on your sleeping arrangement, I would highly suggest setting up camp an hr or two from the road.

Hunting a new area can be intimidating. You need to find the elk but you dont want to over look areas. Don't give up on an area too quickly. Most elk hunters dream of calling up a huge bugling bull. But remember alot of the bulls in heailey hunted areas will be "call shy"

fishingguy44
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Google Earth is your friend. Hiking an hour from the road isnt considered getting away from the crowd when theres hundreds of hunters. Depending on your sleeping arrangement, I would highly suggest setting up camp an hr or two from the road.

Hunting a new area can be intimidating. You need to find the elk but you dont want to over look areas. Don't give up on an area too quickly. Most elk hunters dream of calling up a huge bugling bull. But remember alot of the bulls in heailey hunted areas will be "call shy"

Great advice. Ive been hiking with my badlands pack loaded in prep. Im really excited to just be out there. any harvest will be a bonus.

TheProvider
03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Fast quick scouting. You don't want to waste all your time but don't want to over look things. Depending on how many hunters you have. Say 4. It mat seems smart to all go separate ways to cover more ground but if you can in pairs thats twice as many eyes and feet covering area. Faster and more efficient.

As for calling to locate. One thing I like to do is once its night and quiet. Everytime you have to take a leak, go far enough away from camp so you cant hear voices and call a cple times. Wait a few minutes for a response. This goes for getting up in the middle of the night too. Be quiet once its almost day light and during the day. Remember you could possibly draw other hunters into the area your hunting if they mistake your calls for a real elk.

fishingguy44
03-14-2013, 09:23 PM
It will be a learning experience for sure..

TheProvider
03-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Thats what hunting is all about

albravo2
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
awesome thread. learned some about elk hunting, found a new place to hunt, saw some idiots get flamed. my night is complete.

fuzzybiscuit
03-15-2013, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by .300WSMImpact!

"ignorant racist comment, I am sure that must be a joke?"

Of course it was a joke. The same kind of joke that most of you tell around the campfire but because everything is so PC these days the same guys are scared to say it on a forum like this.

"BANNED, should be below his name, then he can join the others on that other site"

The other site is not just made up of banned members. There are many guys like fishingguy44 that are members in good standing on both sites. When a good new thread starts here the same one usually pops up over there within a few hours. In fact I've witnessed fishingguy44 start or add to threads on the other site and at first it would appear that he really has some good ideas, but in reality most of them seem to come to him shortly after someone on here posts the same info.

Sorry for contributing to your thread going sideways, fishingguy44. Maybe you'll have better luck with the same one you started on the other site.

hunter1947
03-15-2013, 03:32 AM
Head up into the back end of the wild horse river the road to enter this drainage is about one kilometer east of Fort Steel you will find elk in this area guaranteed ,,look at your buddy google earth and see the layout of the land..

fishingguy44
03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Of course it was a joke. The same kind of joke that most of you tell around the campfire but because everything is so PC these days the same guys are scared to say it on a forum like this.

The other site is not just made up of banned members. There are many guys like fishingguy44 that are members in good standing on both sites. When a good new thread starts here the same one usually pops up over there within a few hours. In fact I've witnessed fishingguy44 start or add to threads on the other site and at first it would appear that he really has some good ideas, but in reality most of them seem to come to him shortly after someone on here posts the same info.

Sorry for contributing to your thread going sideways, fishingguy44. Maybe you'll have better luck with the same one you started on the other site.

I dont ever take threads from here.... I do however post on both sites, usually the same thread too. As a new hunter I am trying to get as much info as I can. I do plan on getting out and putting miles on myself but I never had any hunting influence in my life and just want a good start.. something wrong with that?

Weatherby Fan
03-15-2013, 08:00 AM
I dont ever take threads from here.... I do however post on both sites, usually the same thread too. As a new hunter I am trying to get as much info as I can. I do plan on getting out and putting miles on myself but I never had any hunting influence in my life and just want a good start.. something wrong with that?

Of course there is........why in heck would you ask for help on a hunting site :confused: on top of that you should know all this stuff being a new hunter.........I'm sure the 2 chaps with the brilliant comments know everything and no one has ever helped them or pointed them in the right direction.

What a way to treat a new member.:confused: With members like these two gentlemen it's a wonder anybody would want join this site let alone ask for advice on hunting.

No worries fishingguy44........thankfully not everyone is like them.
WF

biggyun68
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Nothing wrong with that. I am in the same boat.

However do you have any local BCWF or other hunting clubs close to home. I recently went to my local BCWF meeting and had the privilege of meeting some of the senior members. I wanted to learn about goose hunting and these members included me in on of theirs.

I met and have contact with some very nice and supportive folks on top of learning more about hunting, and not just goose, in the parking lot after the meeting and on that morning than a year on this site. I also learned how we a newbies can give back to the hunting and conservation communities because clubs always have projects on the go and need volunteers.

My suggestion is to find a club you like and become a good member go to meetings, contribute, work on a project etc. That way their is a multiple benefit to the hunting community. And you will in the end make some good friends.

rocksteady
03-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Being a hard core elk hunter, I will lay it out in black and white for you...

There is NOT an elk hiding behind every tree in the EK, tehy are not dumb as posts and come to any call you make. They are easily pressured and will go to another area code at the drop of a hat.

It is not easy to bag an elk (bull or antlerless) in the early archery season.

At that time tehre are the bow hunters out there, the rifle hunters scouting for opening of that season, juniour hunters shooting whitetails, possibly unseasonable hot temperatures.

All I can advise is dearch google earth, look for likely spots, scout them as hard as you can, if you find elk, hunt them, if no sign move to another area.

I have hunted them faithfully in archery season for over 15 years and have only taken 3 with my bow....

It is not an easy hunt or a slam dunk, just cause the season appears to be very liberal...

MB_Boy
03-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Sounds good ! Don't forget keys to the gates, dogs that can run slushy washed out tracks and don't get stuck in the rocks ! Oh and don't forget, you're only allowed two or then you'd be a poacher and a tool for trying to tell BC residents where they can or can't hunt !

And a pile of cash for the ferry....... they don't take debit or cheques.

Muliechaser
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Of course there is........why in heck would you ask for help on a hunting site :confused: on top of that you should know all this stuff being a new hunter.........I'm sure the 2 chaps with the brilliant comments know everything and no one has ever helped them or pointed them in the right direction.

What a way to treat a new member.:confused: With members like these two gentlemen it's a wonder anybody would want join this site let alone ask for advice on hunting.

No worries fishingguy44........thankfully not everyone is like them.
WF

These are the kinda goofs that give hunting a bad name . Or hunters
Should i say! . Just cuase they dont hunt other management units
Doesnt mean others cant .. and i highly doubt they havnt hunted other units other than were they reside .

Hunt away buddy!! And most of all hunt hard! You just might get lucky!!!

Mc

rides bike to work
03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
I have hunted a few different locations for elk in region 4 Creston canal flats and cranbrook and every mountain I have climbed has elk sign on it . Not saying they are there when I'm there though .i have only seen a hand full of elk in my hunts and they could be there one year then gone the next.i haven't experienced the crowds everyone talks about but I go later in September and still hear the elk bugling 20 ft from me in bush so thick I can't see 5ft. That is what is fun about elk hunting. Extremely challenging and something new learned every day in the field. Any where you go will be a blast and a good chance at elk have fun and enjoy your hunt . And listen to hunter 1947 he won't steer you wrong.

fishingguy44
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Generally I would assume with it probably being warm in September I should be searching higher elevations?

Bc Deer Hunter
03-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Generally I would assume with it probably being warm in September I should be searching higher elevations?
Hard to say. Generally yes, but they tend to be where the water is. Find a north facing slope with a water on it and you will be on to something. I have seen elk as low as 400 meters in that area. Water is the key, good luck.

Islandeer
03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
HA ha ha !!! LOL!!! huntingpig is a " tool" for thinking he could hack it here on the island!!

huntingpg
03-15-2013, 10:57 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1302895#post1302895)

If your trashy ungulate chasing excuses for dogs can tree a cat there then I think we could dominate over there nice try pal

seymourpats1
03-15-2013, 11:25 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1302895#post1302895)

If your trashy ungulate chasing excuses for dogs can tree a cat there then I think we could dominate over there nice try pal
Is the whole province under your command huntingpg?

REMINGTON JIM
03-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Really - aren't you just the warm and friendly member on here :-D LOL RJ

kevan
03-16-2013, 07:47 PM

Put the coffee on.... we'll be there with friends ! LOL !!

Nick270
03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
I live and hunt in the kootenays all animal population is going down i saw only 1 animal last year I completely agree with huntingpg.

NaStY
03-17-2013, 06:32 PM
I guess we should all just stay home and hunt in our back yards then.

Like any where, animals are where you find them. If you don't get out of the truck or off your quad then you won't see as much. Personally I don't have the time or money to scout much but make the best of it when I do go. Have come home empty handed more times then I like to admit but have had a tonne of fun trying. After all that's what it's about.

Get out there and spend some time in the bush. Success is a matter of perspective.

Scuba_Dave
03-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Im gunna pack up me and my buddies and head up to EK first thing as soon as its possible!! Shoot up all the elks and deers and bears hahahaha....And have fun shooting all the cats on the island PG....Doubt you have that much room in your Toyota Prius...I am convinced you drive one of those hippy douche bag cars :)

DMA1983
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
hunt pig, you are more than welcome to come down and shoot some cats. If you feel to many elk are being shot, then dont shoot one. I dont know if your a hunter or a troll, but my advice to you would be to build a wall around the entire EK region. High enough to keep people out, but low enough that you can occasionally poke your head out and make angry faces at people trying to get in. You should probably get started now, with hunting season coming up the invading hordes will be coming soon.

Nick270
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm not saying don't come hunting here but I've seen less and less elk coming out of the woods.

Scuba_Dave
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Not you Nick

WKCotts
03-17-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm not saying don't come hunting here but I've seen less and less elk coming out of the woods.

And deer. Only thing up is wolves

Nick270
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Yes the wolf population is coming up that is one thing I've seen go up. You are right westkootscotts.

Gateholio
03-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't even know why you guys pay attention to huntingpg. :)

Look at his post history and all will be explained....:)

hunter1947
03-18-2013, 03:58 AM
Don't let others discourage you...

Members that have suggested places to try take all in and go from there I find that most big game animals in numbers are stable up here in the EK..

.300WSMImpact!
03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Don't let others discourage you...

Members that have suggested places to try take all in and go from there I find that most big game animals in numbers are stable up here in the EK..

thanks h1947, I listen to all the people telling me the sky is falling and I start to wonder if the numbers are way down as suggested, I always seem to see animals and was starting to think that I am one of the lucky ones

budismyhorse
03-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Don't kid yourself.... Numbers for muley are down.... And whiteys and elk in some areas have been ratcheted down purposely through reg/season changes.

but as always there is a very hunt-able population of elk and deer out there for those willing to put in the time.

She's no cake walk and nor should it be.