PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a bearskin

Morel
03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I am interested in trying black bear hunting this spring and have gotten quite a few questions answered on the forum already - thank you. I am primarily interested in hunting for meat but feel it is a bit of a waste to not do something with the hide if I do shoot a bear. However, I can't afford to spend a lot getting the hide tanned. For those of you that hunt bears for meat, what do you normally do with the skin? I would be fine just giving it to someone who could make use of it.

According to the regs, as I understand them, it is not required to take the skin from a black bear "Of grizzly bear, cougar or a furbearing animal other than a black bear, the hide must be removed to the person’s normal dwelling place or to a meat cutter, the owner or operator of a cold storage plant or to a taxidermist, tanner or a fur trader."

Cheers,
Morel

wildcatter
03-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Since you are in the city too, give me a shout maybe we can team up for spring bear.
I think the hide can be tanned for a a couple hundred bucks, but it could be more now.
Do you like to pick morels?

olympia
03-13-2013, 12:11 AM
one of the members here was nice enough to pm the name of a place that sells home tanning kits, i will go thru my pm's and look. I have heard of guys on here that are paying 800 bucks(i must i dont fully know what work was done) i have never done it myself but plan on it this spring as well. Google has directions as well

Mr. Dean
03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Talk to a taxidermist if you don't want it.
They're always on the look-out for capes and hides to use for repairs.

boxhitch
03-13-2013, 02:07 AM
Post it up here , someone will take it
and maybe even give a few $$$ for it.

dave_fras
03-13-2013, 07:01 AM
what ive been doin for my past couple bear is...after i have it skinned i cut the head off.... as close as i can... tehn knock all 4 paws off and bring it in that way or a soft tan!.... it usually cost about 140 for a 5 1/2 footer.... but it still looks good laying over a couch on the foot of the bed!

rides bike to work
03-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Pacific tanners on broadway I think tanned mine for 250 that was with them skinning out the head and paws for me

Stone Sheep Steve
03-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Try phoning those guys. A bit far away for you but usually will to buy.

http://www.a1furtraders.com/

SSS

Gateholio
03-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Do they buy raw hides?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Do they buy raw hides?

Yes, they prefer green. You can leave the paws and face for them..which is a good idea as they won't pay you any more for a hide that is at the salted stage. You'll be skinning for free...but at least it's good practice.

They don't pay the most but they are usually willing to buy decent hides. Beats chucking them out.
Helps to pay for some fuel.

Gateholio
03-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I guess it needs to be frozen and shipped in a cooler or something. Or I suppose could be dropped off in person. :)

Last night we were just talking about how underutilized bear hunting is around here and how bear predation on our small moose population is probably taking place. Alaska has been aggressively encouraging black bear hunting in some areas to reduce their numbers because of moose calf predation. I don't know if I need any more bear hides unless it's a monster, so selling them might be attractive and a motivator to shoot more often, rather than "you shoot him- no you shoot him!" :)

Timberjack
03-13-2013, 12:32 PM
My taxi has a coat rack with a pile of tanned hides hanging from it. Tanned with claws in costs very little (as compared to getting a full rug done) and it makes for a hell of a way to display tanned hides. I thought it was a good idea, and until I shoot a monster to either mount or get a full rug done, that's what I'll do. So far I've got a beauty 6' spring blackie, and a large coastal wolf...

I also like the idea of cutting the head and paws off and getting it soft tanned for a throw rug..

TJ

Stone Sheep Steve
03-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Everyone should be stroking at least one blackie a yr......if not two:).
It doesn't have to cost you any money either. Lots of people think they have to get it processed into smokies or sausage but that's not necessary. It makes great neutral tasting burger for chilli, spag, lazagna or whatever.
Ya, I know they are a fair bit of work to deal with but, hey, isn't that what it's all about?? ;)

olympia
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
250 bucks for tanning a hide? thats awesome, i must have been mistaken when people were throwing around numbers like 800, they must have been talking about something else...maybe a mount?

Rackmastr
03-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Some good info on this thread as well about guys looking to get their bear hides tanned this spring.....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?82096-The-Reality-Of-Getting-Bears-Tanned

yamadirt 426
03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
I guess it needs to be frozen and shipped in a cooler or something. Or I suppose could be dropped off in person. :)

Last night we were just talking about how underutilized bear hunting is around here and how bear predation on our small moose population is probably taking place. Alaska has been aggressively encouraging black bear hunting in some areas to reduce their numbers because of moose calf predation. I don't know if I need any more bear hides unless it's a monster, so selling them might be attractive and a motivator to shoot more often, rather than "you shoot him- no you shoot him!" :)

Ive been itching to pull the trigger on a bear for 4yrs, not from a lack of trying though. Ive even had my camps raided while out hunting them. im going to have to hunt pemby this year.

Moe.JKU
03-13-2013, 03:55 PM
So this may seem stupid but I was planning on getting out there as well and trying my luck this year. If I end up having some luck, and take it to a meat cutter will they discard the fur if I wouldn't want it. And if no one I know would want it, or anyone on here.

Dannybuoy
03-13-2013, 04:00 PM
So this may seem stupid but I was planning on getting out there as well and trying my luck this year. If I end up having some luck, and take it to a meat cutter will they discard the fur if I wouldn't want it. And if no one I know would want it, or anyone on here.
Wouldnt you skin it Before taking it to a meat cutter? I would highly recomend it .

Gateholio
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM

You should skin it yourself soon after the kill to allow the meat to cool

Moe.JKU
03-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Yes of course, but in the OP my understanding was you had to take it with you, and if i'm not going to do anything with it what's the best way to get rid of it. That's not going to cost me money do people buy them, or would they take them for free,i guess if your not going to do anything with it what is the proper way to dispose of it after if you have to take it with you out of the bush.

Dannybuoy
03-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Ahhhh sorry ..... if you dont a use or pre determined place to take the hide ... just leave it in the bush ... you dont have to take the hide of a blackie much the same as a deer or moose etc

Moe.JKU
03-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok I was just confused. I've only gone after deer and waterfowl so bears are new to me. Going to try and get one this year though break in my new rifle as I can't wait for deer season. thanks for the confirmation.

Surrey Boy
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I've an arrangement with a partner I go hunting with in the spring; I take the meat and he takes the hide. He's usually done a good job of tanning them, and gets better every time. He made a pretty nice hat out of a raccoon I got two years ago.

doddatto
03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
250 bucks for tanning a hide? thats awesome, i must have been mistaken when people were throwing around numbers like 800, they must have been talking about something else...maybe a mount?

yea i was told 900 from a guy in new west. and i asked is that just for a tan, he said Yeap depending on how well it was Skinned, If he had to shave some skin or fat off that it could cost more. 250 is not bad at alll for a tan for a throw over rug.
I was hoping to go get my first bear this spring BUT MY PAL IS TAKING FOR EVER, sent it in dec. still waiting :P and where i was suppose to do my CORE didnt get enough people so now they are not doing it til April... yay for luck eh

Livewire322
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
yea i was told 900 from a guy in new west. and i asked is that just for a tan, he said Yeap depending on how well it was Skinned, If he had to shave some skin or fat off that it could cost more. 250 is not bad at alll for a tan for a throw over rug.
I was hoping to go get my first bear this spring BUT MY PAL IS TAKING FOR EVER, sent it in dec. still waiting :P and where i was suppose to do my CORE didnt get enough people so now they are not doing it til April... yay for luck eh
I'd say grab a bow, but then I read the no CORE... That sucks but there's always September-December!

lip_ripper00
03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Just another idea....If you shoot a decent bear and don't have the cash to deal with it now, fold it skin in and put it in a plastic bag and freeze it. It is bulky but mine was in the freezer for a few years......

Agent Orange
03-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Even if you do your core in April there is still plenty of bear season in may/June. Unlike the pal there is no wait period with the core. Just take your certificate of completion to a service BC office and they will give you a hunter number on the spot. Then grab a bow and start stalking! Good luck!

olympia
03-13-2013, 07:13 PM
yea i was told 900 from a guy in new west. and i asked is that just for a tan, he said Yeap depending on how well it was Skinned, If he had to shave some skin or fat off that it could cost more. 250 is not bad at alll for a tan for a throw over rug.I was hoping to go get my first bear this spring BUT MY PAL IS TAKING FOR EVER, sent it in dec. still waiting :P and where i was suppose to do my CORE didnt get enough people so now they are not doing it til April... yay for luck ehim pretty sure you can challenge the core, buy the manual from bcwf for 30 bucks, on one of the pages it has a list of recognized examiners and challenge it

doddatto
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
im pretty sure you can challenge the core, buy the manual from bcwf for 30 bucks, on one of the pages it has a list of recognized examiners and challenge it

Good idea :p where is the bcwf? or can i just order it online :)

blackbart
03-13-2013, 08:28 PM
What to do with a bear rug? Seems to me that the best thing to do is as follows:
1) Lay the rug out in front of a nice fire
2) Shag
3) Repeat #2 as needed

doddatto
03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
with the money i buy a bow with i can buy a NICE scope tho so im sorta upset about waiting BUt i mine as well wait it out. I Have ALL my life ahead of me and it give me a great chance to glass. Trying to be positive about it if u have noticed. just an young eger new hunter thats wanting to learn as fast as i can. and iv NEVER have shoten off a bow before it would be a funny youtube vid thats for sure !!!

bccanadian
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Good idea :p where is the bcwf? or can i just order it online :)

You're in Port Coquitlam. BCWF (BC Wildlife Federation) is just over the Golden Ears bridge....Google and Google maps is your friend. Don't forget "street view".

bccanadian
03-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Even if you do your core in April there is still plenty of bear season in may/June. Unlike the pal there is no wait period with the core. Just take your certificate of completion to a service BC office and they will give you a hunter number on the spot. Then grab a bow and start stalking! Good luck!

I know you really meant to say "take your test results to the BCWF office in Langley" THEN you can go to the Services BC to get your hunters number AND your hunting license and tags....:-D

Dannybuoy
03-13-2013, 10:05 PM
Also , if you dont get an early spring bear it might not even be worth tanning or selling .... ie rubbed , likewise for an too of a early winter hide

Morel
03-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

Roughneck Country
03-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Was thinking I might make a bear skin bed spread one day if I got enough hides, would be kind of neat I think and probably super warm!

Mr. Dean
03-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Was thinking I might make a bear skin bed spread one day if I got enough hides, would be kind of neat I think and probably super warm!

But not very comfortable - The hairs are coarse.

Yote would be a MUCH better option.

fishingguy44
03-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Ive called Pacific tanners and they no longer are accepting bears. any help on where a hide can be sent to be tanned with paws and head? Also hoping for an elk this year, any hints on a good place for a shoulder mount? hopefully drivable from vancouver

sawmill
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
with the money i buy a bow with i can buy a NICE scope tho so im sorta upset about waiting BUt i mine as well wait it out. I Have ALL my life ahead of me and it give me a great chance to glass. Trying to be positive about it if u have noticed. just an young eger new hunter thats wanting to learn as fast as i can. and iv NEVER have shoten off a bow before it would be a funny youtube vid thats for sure !!!

Funny Youtube.Yup,especially the part where the ass shot bear attacks you and spends 15 minutes remodeling you.
And if you f*ck around with a bear and no skills you WON`T have your whole life ahead of you.
But it would sure be interesting to watch,you are right about that.

Don`t be so "eger" grasshopper.
Learn some shit first.

fishingguy44
03-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Funny Youtube.Yup,especially the part where the ass shot bear attacks you and spends 15 minutes remodeling you.
And if you f*ck around with a bear and no skills you WON`T have your whole life ahead of you.
But it would sure be interesting to watch,you are right about that.

Don`t be so "eger" grasshopper.

Learn some shit first.

Agreed. I only shoot a bow unless waterfowl hunting. I try and shoot a few arrows everyday. If I dont you get out of practice. It takes lots of practice and if you choose to just buy a bow and head up the hill bad things will happen to you. This isnt pink fishing on the fraser....

lilhoss
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Sell the hides.I've sold mine to a local buyer here in Nanaimo.Fall hide is the best shape and gets the best dollar value.
November bear...$120.00
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bear_heart_lake_Nov_2011_004.jpg

A large bear, 5ft plus in good shape got me $120,smaller ones around $50.00.I've sold deer hides,and he will even take your moose too, if you want to drag it in.It pays for my gas money and hunting licence & tags.Better than letting it rot in the bush.You'll need your cancelled species licence/tag.

Ozone
03-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Do you have any contact info for us lilhoss?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Got $200 for this guy...scars included. Market has softened a bit since then

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Battle_Scarred_Bruin_001.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Battle_Scarred_Bruin_009.jpg

lilhoss
03-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Do you have any contact info for us lilhoss?
http://www.kania.net/contact.htm

moosinaround
03-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Leave it in the bush. Crows and whiskey jacks need grub too! It's gotta be a large hide, or unique for me to keep it! Moosin

Morel
03-14-2013, 08:26 PM
What to do with a bear rug? Seems to me that the best thing to do is as follows:
1) Lay the rug out in front of a nice fire
2) Shag
3) Repeat #2 as needed

I did not think of it that way. Now I am definitely getting it tanned whatever the cost.

Hunt-4-Life
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM

Nothing stopping you from just going out and scouting an area with just your binos, get to know what a big bear looks like vs a little bear. Try to learn what a sow looks like compared to a boar.

fishingguy44
03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Any tips on sow/boar id?

Hunt-4-Life
03-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I think there's been other threads on that, I'm certainly no expert. I think the big thing I to get out and look at bears, take pause and size him up before you shoot. #1 is to pause long enough to ensure there's no cubs running around with mom.

schilly101
03-16-2013, 08:06 PM
So if i shoot a bear for the meat this spring and i dont want the hide but id like to pay for some of the gas, A1furtraders will buy a black bear hide? if not salted but skinned and put in the freezer? and does anybody know what they would pay for a 6 foot bear in decent condition?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-17-2013, 08:47 AM
So if i shoot a bear for the meat this spring and i dont want the hide but id like to pay for some of the gas, A1furtraders will buy a black bear hide? if not salted but skinned and put in the freezer? and does anybody know what they would pay for a 6 foot bear in decent condition?

Depends on the current market but you might get max $100-$150...ish? They will want to be able to look at the hide so you'll need to coordinate that with them. Take lots of detailed field pics too.
Bigger bears are less common and will fetch better prices.

SSS