PDA

View Full Version : Daddy's making supper tonight!

Hunt-4-Life
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Daddy's making supper tonight! Mooseloaf anyone? I thought it would be a cool idea to start a thread about some of our favorite game recipes. Here's one of mine:
Mooseloaf
1-2 lbs ground moose
1 egg
1/4 oatmeal
1 pkg onion soup mix
2-3 tbs BBQ sauce
Cheese for centers

Heat your oven to 375, mix all your ingredients together. Lightly grease and fill the cups of a muffin pan and bake for 45-55 min. Makes nice individual sized mooseloaves. Cheers!

BCKyle
03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a good moose loaf! Hoping for a moose this season so if I get one I'll give it a shot. Maybe with bear/venison mixed... if this spring bear goes well.

This one's not mine but I made it a couple days ago because my gf was feeling kind of crappy and it sounded like a real feel-good hearty soup. This guy has some really tasty recipes on his site!

http://honest-food.net/2011/03/10/scottish-venison-soup/

mmmmmmm nice rainy day soup. With a fresh baked white bun or biscuits and a bit of butter... hot damn. Next season I'll be making venison stock from the bones and using that instead of buying beef stock.

CSG
03-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Hunt-4-life, that sounds awesome! I have lots of soup mix and venison so I will give it a try with the girlfriend this weekend.

What kind of cheese did you use? I would think something that melts good would be best, maybe velveeta??

Charts
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
I love the ideas for recipes being posted here especially for game meats!! I have a question though and hope someone can help. I got more stew meat from my bull moose this season than I really wanted. Can i thaw it out slightly, ground it, then make sausage with the meat or is stew meat too tough? Also is it ok to thaw it out (not to totally thawed) and re freeze the sausage? The butcher says its ok but was curious if anyone has done this? Will the stew meat grind up like the rest of my ground? Thanks

Agent Orange
03-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I love the ideas for recipes being posted here especially for game meats!! I have a question though and hope someone can help. I got more stew meat from my bull moose this season than I really wanted. Can i thaw it out slightly, ground it, then make sausage with the meat or is stew meat too tough? Also is it ok to thaw it out (not to totally thawed) and re freeze the sausage? The butcher says its ok but was curious if anyone has done this? Will the stew meat grind up like the rest of my ground? Thanks
I don't see why not. You might want to go to the butchers and pick up some ground pork to mix in. That will make it more tender. Maybe even just some pork fat trimmings

Ddog
03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
nice recipe, but instead of putting in mainland BC i think it should be under WILD GAME RECIPES, go figure someone started a place where we could put up recipes to share ;)

lip_ripper00
03-13-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?23-Wild-Game-Recipes

Their was also a cook book published...... not sure if their are any left

Hunt-4-Life
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Sorry there dDog, I'm new to the site. Another good simple recipe
While we're on this thread anyway, is simple moose kabobs on the BBQ. Good way to use your stew chunks. Marinade the moose in:

Couple Tablespoons oil
Couple dashes whiskey
Tablespoon soy sauce
Tablespoon brown sugar
5 tablespoons of ground ginger
Salt and pepper

marinade in the fridge over night, them BBQ kabobs with chunks of green/ red peppers, mushrooms, whatever veggies you like. These are great for summer!

Cheers!

Hunt-4-Life
03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Just make sure if your un-thaw and re-freeze that you un-thaw in the fridge, not the counter of the microwave.
Cheers!