PDA

View Full Version : Topo maps

Foxtail
03-11-2013, 10:52 AM
I have the garmin Topo maps for all of canada... They are a few years old but when you install it on your computer it gives you the updates. I am not giving the discs away but if anyone wants to install them you can borrow the discs.

outdoorsk
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I have the garmin Topo maps for all of canada... They are a few years old but when you install it on your computer it gives you the updates. I am not giving the discs away but if anyone wants to install them you can borrow the discs.

Foxtail hoe do we go about borrowing your Topo map discs?

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Curious, when is that last update on yours because I have had this set for 10 years now and have never had or found an update?
Thx.

AltaElkhunter
03-11-2013, 11:38 AM
The latest edition is one disc, with basecamp. seems a bit better, and can use a 3d veiw and different angles. But have never seen any updates available.

Foxtail
03-11-2013, 12:30 PM
In November, when I installed it on the guys computer where we stay in Quesnel there were like 100 updates that took about 4 hours to download and install... I only ever instal the western Canada disc. I live in Cloverdale if you want to come by to pick them up or if you are close I can drop them off. I know they are a bit out dated with google earth out there, but these are great if you have the older gps's that don't have 3d views or sat photo overlay. I was just thinking that I didn't get my LEH grizz... so maybe these can be useful to someone else :)

Gun Dog
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I have TopoCanada version 1. The software -- MapSource -- has been updated but the actual map data remains the same. I looked at the newer v2 maps but they're still full of errors (roads in the wrong place). I prefer MapSource to BaseCamp on my PC. I can't use the Backroads maps since it doesn't support my Garmin 60Cx (the maps are 65,000 colours and the 60Cx is 256 colours).

Charts
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
just bought, installed, and updated the backroads GPS maps SD card for my garmin. This is a great system and goes into tons of details. There is an old skidder road at my in laws which probably hasn't be driven in 20 years and is over grown but the detail on the backroads SD card actually shows the road. Great investment. Never get lost again and you can draw your own route to anywhere in the province. $150 bucks well spent. Do all the work on basecamp and directly goes to the card.

The_Bear_Man
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Charts, I am curious what garmin you have? I am looking at getting the GPSMaps 62s.

drakfero
03-15-2013, 07:48 PM
no need to buy anything , if you have iphone.. download app Canada and it works well with gps

reach
03-15-2013, 11:16 PM
no need to buy anything , if you have iphone.. download app Canada and it works well with gps
That's Topographic Maps Canada (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/topographic-maps-canada/id392857820?mt=8) if you go to search for it.

It is a good app - amazing considering it's free. But the iPhone has some disadvantages in the field... can't just pop in new AA batteries, need a $70 case to make it waterproof etc. When I'm away from the truck I take my trusty Garmin 60cx.

Charts
03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
I don't know where you guys hunt but my cell phone gets no reception anywhere. Thats why a SPOT is a good idea. The-Bear-Man I have a Garmin Oregon 200.. Few years old but accepts the SD card. Also when you register the card you get all free updates for 90 days. I had made custom maps using google earth on over laid them on the topo maps the last few years but I found it really slows down the GPS and before you know it you've blown past your turn 10 kms ago with no where to turn around. It is also nice when you find your honey hole you can remember the next time where it was with your tracks.

reach
03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I don't know where you guys hunt but my cell phone gets no reception anywhere. Thats why a SPOT is a good idea. The-Bear-Man I have a Garmin Oregon 200.. Few years old but accepts the SD card. Also when you register the card you get all free updates for 90 days. I had made custom maps using google earth on over laid them on the topo maps the last few years but I found it really slows down the GPS and before you know it you've blown past your turn 10 kms ago with no where to turn around. It is also nice when you find your honey hole you can remember the next time where it was with your tracks.
You don't need cell service for the GPS to work. The phone will still show where you are on the map. Signal acquisition is a little slower without the cell towers but it does still work.

Totally agree on the SPOT. It's cheap insurance.