PDA

View Full Version : HD glass worth the money

kwasky
03-10-2013, 08:14 PM
Hey there. Ive been looking into a bunch of different spotting scopes trying to find the right one. My question is what you guys think about HD glass compared to non HD glass? Is there a huge difference or just a slight difference and for the cost extra is it worth it? Ill be using it this spring for grizzly hunting and future muley hunting and hopefully sheep/ goat hunting.

Thanks for any feedback.

Superdeuce
03-10-2013, 08:32 PM
Save your money unless you plan on digiscoping

mikeboehm
03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Wat scopes are u looking at

shotgunner
03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
if its ed prime or low dispersal glass its worth the extra as it will be brighter and probably more color accurate.

GoatGuy
03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
HD is for taking pictures.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Yes its worth it . Buy the HD .

Elkhound
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Optics are my thing. So called HD glass if done correctly is way worth the money. Especially on spectacles

mikeboehm
03-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I switched from vortex vipers (non hd) to swarovski el swarovision binos and theres no comparison. But i cant comment on vortex viper to viper hd

The Hermit
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
There is some inexpensive digiscoping gear out now too so you might want to take some pictures!

Sofa King
03-13-2013, 11:24 AM
and wear your 3D glasses from your tv at home for even better, awesomer viewing pleasure.

sure, they are probably better optics.
doesn't mean you need them though.
it's like everything else.
a new re-tooled model has to be introduced every year.
they didn't exist before, and everyone did just fine with what was available.
these are just the new girl on the block.

but, you are buying a new pair anyway.
and if you have the extra money and don't mind spending it, they'll be awesome.
but, just like that new girl down the street, next year, another new girl will move in next door.

Mugger
03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Buy the best optics with the largest eye relief you can afford even if it means saving a bit longer. As you get older you will thank me. Cheers.

BCRiverBoater
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
The average eye in most light conditions will have a hard time telling the difference between HD and non-HD. I own both and can't see that much of a difference but there is one. However if you are going to be taking pictures and or video through the optics then there is a definite difference. But the average hunter is not taking that quality of pics anyways where they actually print them on proper paper etc.

A lot of people claim HD is way better but they are not comparing apples to apples. One will look through a cheaper pair of bino's then go look through Swaro HD bino's and say wow the HD are so nice. You really need to go to a store and take the exact same brand of optics and compare HD to non-HD and see the difference for yourself.

In my mind I like the HD but am not sure it is worth the amount they charge for it. Just my two cents.

Boner
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
I can't see a difference, but that's looking out the door of the store at another building 100 yards away. I wish I could take a few pairs out in the bush for a real test.