PDA

View Full Version : What makes a GOOD hunting jacket?

redthorn
03-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Looking at purchasing a new jacket and want some input.

What is your favorite hunting jacket and why?

What material is it? Wool? Softshell? Nylon?

Does it have any pockets or gadgets you wouldn't want to do without?

Is it short or long?

Insulated or just a layer?

Is it Camo, Plaid, Plain?

Are the Kuiu and Arcteryx LEAF and Sitka Jackets really worth the hype?

BlacktailStalker
03-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Cant really answer that because not one jacket covers even half the weather or scenarios ? No fav.

Gateholio
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Considering that BC fall hunting season opens in often scorching day time weather and keeps going through the winter, it's hard to nail down just one jacket for all purposes. Plus that at any time you could be into a horrible rainstorm.....

No way I would go without my Stanfields though. ;)

Sitkaspruce
03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Yup, most of the time I just I wear good long underwear and my Stanfields (west coast tuxedo). A good waterproof shell for when it is windy/rainey and a heavy Riverswest Jacket for when it is really cold and I am on a quad. I cannot sit for for long, so I don't wear a heavy coat while hunting.

Lots to chose from, make sure it fits well and has lota of movement when your are layering up.

Cheers

SS

hunter1993ap
03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Yup, most of the time I just I wear good long underwear and my Stanfields (west coast tuxedo). A good waterproof shell for when it is windy/rainey and a heavy Riverswest Jacket for when it is really cold and I am on a quad. I cannot sit for for long, so I don't wear a heavy coat while hunting.

Lots to chose from, make sure it fits well and has lota of movement when your are layering up.

Cheers

SS
i seem to always have the stanfields on as well. i also like just a light plaid when its warmer.

Trophyslayer
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
It depends what time of the year, where you are hunting, your style of hunting and weather ect. To many variables for just one jacket. I layer with wool, fleece, and down if its cold then a shell to cut the wind and protect from brambles and snags. I prefer durable flexible and breathable camo is nice but not needed. One breast pocket on the outside and one on the inside is all I really need. I like a bit of water resistance but an all out waterproof jacket sucks if your moving around a lot I just pack a lightweight rain jacket if I need it.

sarnold
03-10-2013, 10:08 PM
I prefer a breathable, shell with lots of layers under. I had a hard time finding one that was quit enough for my liking!!! I find it funny you seem to hear more about scent loc than anything else, scent consealment didn't even make my list of must haves...... But the sounds the shell made was very important to me.
My 2.5 cents:)

Fred1
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Browning Pre Vent. Jacket approx $160.00 Best bang for your buck! Shell water proof and breathable - not bad weight. I do about 70 days a year in all weather in mine. I even use my old one for timber work. Layer underneath with HH poly pro and a wool sweater when its cold.

The key is to be water proof and breathable! I will admit, sitting still in a tree stand all day requires a heavier jacket. The big names are good but if you spend all your money on gear you will have to hunt less :)

Foxtail
03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
I went with wool. I got the Columbia camo wool parka with the matching wool pants... They are good in almost every weather condition. I have worn the same stuff in +15c and -20c with just long underwear underneath. My fav hunting gear by far... quiet and natural scent control.

Sofa King
03-10-2013, 11:24 PM
i always make sure a hoodie is a layer.
and a zip-up one so i can open it.

Salty
03-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah like has been said if you hunt the whole season you're going to see about every weather condition there is. Early season for me is usually a long sleeve light merino wool blend shirt and stanfields. If it gets hot later in the day, loose the stanfields and roll up the sleeves of the undershirt. If it gets a little cooler and windy I've got a couple different fleece vests that I'll wear over the stanfields. None of this stuff is cammo, just earthy type colours that blend in OK.

And then comes November. LOL. The best blacktail hunting is late season here where its about as wet as it gets and often stormy. And wet, did I say wet? I got tired of noisy rain gear that you sweat your ass off in and splurged for a River's West waterproof jacket with a hood. Its nice and quiet, light and breaks the wind well, it breaths, and you stay totally dry underneath in a deluge. Its got different vent zippers to help it breath even better if your working up a sweat. Only used it a few times but I'm happy with it, ready for pretty much anything with it and under layers as above.

vip_ruger
03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I have both full sets of kuiu and stika and would go with the kuiu guide coat and layer for the weather and temp

Moe.JKU
03-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Ive been using the new under armour hoodies that are waterproof. spray some more water repellant on them. Good to sit in the blind with, or go hiking. only $89 so I got a 4 different patterns. Works good for me, and I get use out of them when it rains around town. When it gets cold just small layers underneather that way I can control sweating and warmth

BromBones
03-11-2013, 08:53 PM
This -

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=810

Swanndri has been making good stuff for many many years. Mine goes everywhere with me. Warm, comfy, and pretty water resistant. And longcoats are cool. :)

A little heavy to pack but worth the extra weight when the weather turns to shit. I've tried many different brands and fabrics but still prefer wool to anything. A good quality wool vest is tough to beat for an outer layer as well, keeps your core warm but vents out the arms & gives you good movement.

swampthing
03-12-2013, 06:40 AM
The sitka 90% jacket is my go to. I layer under/over it for different conditions and havent wavered from this system for about 5 years, which is strange for a gear junkie like me.

Tanya
03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Am very impressed with Rivers West garments for the wet conditions,which are frequent in my world. Layers are what I do. Wicking base, and then go from there depending on the temperature and activity level. I have a very heavy coat that I use if stand/blind hunting in real cold temps, but wouldn't wear it for hunts when moving much.

Singleshotneeded
03-12-2013, 01:46 PM
warm, quiet outer shell, lots of pockets

Tanya
03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
warm, quiet outer shell, lots of pockets

Couldn't agree more. Pockets, lots of pockets, quiet outer shell. Also, remember many of the "breathable" family make a lot of noise in very cold temps - the crinkle like a chip bag.

wrenchhead
03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I've got a Columbia wool one that is the bees knees in my book. It's always warm,quiet, and is really durable.

Timberjack
03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Well - each to their own, but I don't subscribe to the waterproof breathable hunting jacket logic. I've owned a few, and find they just don't breathe as advertised, or maybe I sweat too much, or whatever... Depends where you live and hunt I guess but I find they just aren't good enough for a full on coastal downpour anyways...

So here's what I suggest - Find yourself a good fleece jacket that will be worn 90% of the time. Can be windproof, but careful with these cause they often dont breathe that well either. Alternatively find yourself a good high end mountaineering soft shell that doesn't make a lot of noise. Then pack the highest quality waterproof stuff you can find. For someone on the west coast, it might actually mean raingear, but for me (mostly mountian hunting in the interior), the best goretex shell you can buy. The light HH raingear will work, but sitting on a ridgetop in the wind for hours glassing for sheep etc, you'll wish you had something that breathes..

Then of course like others have said, lots of layers for underneath depending on the conditions. Underarmor - yes, stanfield - yes, merino wool - yes, cotton - no. And don't bother with the scent-lock BS, unless you plan on stuffing the entire jacket in your mouth... You're never going to keep your smell from a bear that has a nose that's 75 times better than yours. Staying down wind is the only way...

My 2 cents.
TJ

Fella
03-13-2013, 01:03 PM
I have a base layer than I bought for snowboarding. Keeps me warm and dry. Over top that, I have a long sleeve polyester shirt for warmth and an extra layer that keeps water off my skin. I top that off with a fleece hoody that someone gave to me. It's beat up, but it's warm and surprisingly water resistant. If it's dumping rain I throw on my Helly Hansen shell. I'll probably adjust my layering as time goes on (ie. probably gonna get some merino baselayers and a wool coat sometime down the line) but for now what I have is just fine.