PDA

View Full Version : Non-Typical Blacktail!!

~T-BONE~
12-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Heres a couple of pics. from another site that I thought some of you BT fanatics could appreciate.... I believe he was taken 30 miles west of the B+C boundry in the state of California.. They sure grow em big down there!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cid_000e01c723d91824aa80d001660aD83.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cid_000c01c723d91824aa80d001660aD83.jpg

Islandeer
12-22-2006, 12:54 PM
He is a BT M'NT!8)

SteadyGirl
12-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Now isn't that a nice deer:lol:

308BAR
12-22-2006, 01:00 PM
That has gotta be one of the prettiest set of antlers I've seen. Drool!!!

Elkhound
12-22-2006, 01:20 PM
I see him in my dreams all year round

Will
12-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Very Nice8)

Fisher-Dude
12-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow! Nice BT - a true HOG! And shot by a guy with a quad no less! Dana's Christmas has just been ruined...:rolleyes:

CHilko21
12-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Beautiful beautiful deer! Definately drool-worthy:)

hunter1947
12-22-2006, 06:00 PM
This deer looks like a cross between a mule and a coastal black tail ,look at the big ears on it. hunter 1947.

mark
12-22-2006, 08:03 PM
This deer looks like a cross between a mule and a coastal black tail ,look at the big ears on it. hunter 1947.

Wayne, if yer looking at the cape it is identical to a muleys, (as are most of the huge BTs) I believe the only thing that makes these deer a BT is the location where they were shot. Notice you never see a pic of the deers ass with these trophy BT's. Its a good thing that a muley would NEVER cross the sacred line to BT country!

Blktail
12-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Go ahead.

Rain on the lucky hunters parade and say it must be a hybrid.

Sour grapes, I say.:)

Incidentaly, how would one go about proving a deer is or is not a hybrid?
Besides shooting it on an Island.:smile:

mark
12-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Sorry dude, but id never whisper the word "hybrid". Yes im probably the biggest skeptic when it comes to trophy BT's , shot on the mainland. I drove the bella coola hill, and on that hill i saw a group of BT's, drove around the next switchback and there was a bunch of mulies! Huge difference!!!! They do overlap, but theres a difference between them! Its my "opinion" that alot of these "TROPHY BT's" look alot like mulies to me!

dana
12-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Way I understand, if the location is in doubt, the skull cap is measured. Blacktails only are a certain size from pedicle to pedicle. Even small muleys exceed that size. Of course, DNA also will play a roll if in real doubt. Chances are if it was across the B&C line it probably was a purebred, as that line was established to try to eliminate any confusion of purity. From my limited understanding of blackies, that buck has the right look. Slammer buck no doubt.

mark
12-22-2006, 08:48 PM
I agree, that in the first pic, the deer has a small head! But if all we saw was the second pic, and no story, is there even one person on this forum that would think that buck is a Blacktail? If so why?

dana
12-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Well Mark, maybe that's why 2 pics of this buck were posted together. At least he didn't stand 20 feet behind it or hold it way in front of him in his garage. ;)
Here's another pic of the blackie.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/45846bee6178841b.jpg

Jetboater
12-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Well Mark, maybe that's why 2 pics of this buck were posted together. At least he didn't stand 20 feet behind it or hold it way in front of him in his garage. ;)

Amen to that :lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Oh come on Dana!!:mad: That WASN'T HIS garage:lol: .
SSS

dana
12-22-2006, 09:15 PM
SSS,
At least he's not as bad as those yahoo's with that cougar on HS. ;) BTW that thing was killed last year or even the year before. Funny how the so-called lion experts on that site think that lion is huge. :)

mark
12-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Gee, i state my "OPINION" (which i think im entitled too) and a few observations. And suddenly i get bashed for the way i hold a buck in a pic! Is everyone a little up-tight tonight?

dana
12-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Mark,
Wasn't your first comment to Tuffer on his buck last month was that his pics were aweful? Dude, his pics were wayyy wayyy better than yours weren't they? :lol: :lol:

dana
12-22-2006, 09:48 PM
BTW,
No one is uptight but you. ;) Just some friendly advise on taking good pics is all.

lapadat
12-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Mark

If it appears that people don't appreciate your criticism of thier big BT's, you could gain credibility with the board by studying BT's and then comparing thier characteristics to the "10,000" Mule Deer you've seen.

That way people might listen to you when you say this deer is a BT and that deer is a Muley. Instead of saying "that looks identical to the 50 or so mulies i've shot" you could educate the board on WHY you think it is an incorrectly identified deer. The fact that it looks like a Mule Deer to you doesn't cut it.

More friendly advice :)

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2006, 10:38 PM
SSS,
At least he's not as bad as those yahoo's with that cougar on HS. BTW that thing was killed last year or even the year before. Funny how the so-called lion experts on that site think that lion is huge.
That's because the guys that nail the really big cats on H/S won't post pics anymore so everyone loses perspective. It seems they don't want a stampede of all the hardcore cat hunters to the Clearwater area:roll::lol: .
A guy has to lurk in the shadows of other sites just to see these "behemoths":-( .

SSS

dana
12-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Might have something to do with the poll that was conducted about everyone's true reasons for visiting that site. When everyone admitted that they were there for 'info info info' those with the info pretty much clammed up (or they were punted because they made fun of a chubby little guy who likes to chase bears out of season. ;) )

Fisher-Dude
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Gee, i state my "OPINION" (which i think im entitled too) and a few observations. And suddenly i get bashed for the way i hold a buck in a pic! Is everyone a little up-tight tonight?

Mark, Dana's just wound up because that buck was shot by a guy on a quad. He'll be fine once Santa brings him a new set of Tasco binoculars and a new mackinaw. :tongue:

SSS,
At least he's not as bad as those yahoo's with that cougar on HS. ;) BTW that thing was killed last year or even the year before. Funny how the so-called lion experts on that site think that lion is huge. :)

Aren't you banned from HS? Is Forky lurking in the shadows again? :lol:

Kirby
12-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Might have something to do with the poll that was conducted about everyone's true reasons for visiting that site. When everyone admitted that they were there for 'info info info' those with the info pretty much clammed up (or they were punted because they made fun of a chubby little guy who likes to chase bears out of season. ;) )

LMAO!!!!:lol:

Kirby

Chuck
12-22-2006, 11:25 PM
I've been told by a guy who used to bow hunt on Whitbey (?) island that he could call these beauties in with a predator call and that there are some strange deer (mutants) on that island. He mentioned apaloosas (?).

hunter1947
12-23-2006, 06:05 AM
The pic of this ????? has a white face ,this indicates to me that it is a cross between a BT and a mule really how often have you seen a older island buck with that much white on it's face i can't remember seeing one with that much ever. hunter 1947.

Jetboater
12-23-2006, 08:22 AM
Chuck alot of small population blacktail islands have lots of apaloosas. its quite common for the little islands like lasquitti island and such.

It seems like a lot of island folk seem to think if the buck didnt die on the rock its not a blacktail.
Dont forget when the rock sinks down the road all those deer are gonna swim to the mainland, then none of you guys will ever be able to figure it out.

That buck is full blown blackie, the only difference is better nutreints and probably a better winter.

dana
12-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Fisherdude,
There are other computers in my world other than my IP. ;)

mark
12-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Mark

If it appears that people don't appreciate your criticism of thier big BT's, you could gain credibility with the board by studying BT's and then comparing thier characteristics to the "10,000" Mule Deer you've seen.

That way people might listen to you when you say this deer is a BT and that deer is a Muley. Instead of saying "that looks identical to the 50 or so mulies i've shot" you could educate the board on WHY you think it is an incorrectly identified deer. The fact that it looks like a Mule Deer to you doesn't cut it.

More friendly advice :)

Fisrt off, Dana, I never said tuffers pics were AWEFUL, he just had lots of bushes in the way of his pics and that pisses me off when someones taking pics for me. I believe my comment was, "give yer photographer a slap"! When ya got a nice buck on the ground, ya want nice pics to remember the time. One of his pics all we could see was antlers sticking out of bush??

Lapadat, if you re-read my posts, youll notice that ive never criticized anyones BT, or said "hey thats a muley" .
The word "fact" has never entered one of my posts on the topic, I always clearly state that im making an observation, or that it is my opinion!

I dont live where there are BT's, i dont hunt them, and ive never claimed to be an expert on them. But i have seen lots on the island, and in bella coola. And as ive said before IT IS MY OPINION, they look alot different than the one in this thread and other boon class BT's posted before. I get PMs, people agree with me, they just dont speak up as i do to avoid the wolf attack!

Maybe i dont have a clue what a BT looks like, Maybe a have a garage full of booner BT's that just jumped the magic fence and wandered into the interior??????

Oh ya, FD sorry to wreck yer fun, but i wasnt on my quad when i got that buck!

dana
12-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Has anyone seen the DVD Blacktail Fever???? I've been thinking about getting it. I've heard some great reviews of it. Packed full of trophy class blackies with numerous 30 inchers.

At one time I had a pic on my hard drive of an oldtimer buck from Mendocino CA that was over 210 NT. Was very impressive.

dana
12-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Mark,
One thing I've learned over the years is to sit back and observe what the 'true pros' say about a certain animal. I've seen guys post up whitetails as coues and I've seen guys post up muleys as blackies. The guys who really know their $hit, really know their $hit. Of course when it comes to coues and blackies, I don't. So I sit back and watch as the pros rip apart the false poster. Funny when you see a true monster blackie or coues posted, all those same pros are the ones giving congrats to the hunter and aren't calling into question the animal. Why??? Cause they know their $hit.

BTW, I thought Tuffer did great with his pics. Setting the timer and getting the buck and yourself in the pic is a tuff thing to do. I've done it many a time myself. You comments to him maybe were tongue in cheek, but you have to admit they were very uncalled for especially since your buck pics were by far way worse. Maybe I'll post up some 'field pic' hints later in the new year, but really all you need to do is pick up an issue of EHJ and they have those hints printed in every issue. ;)

mark
12-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Havnt seen it, maybe i should.
Ill try to explain my thinking that converts to my skepticism. IF the huge mainland blackies were seeing, arnt muleys, or highly crossed with muley blood, then why dont we see such racks come from the island. Why is there such a huge difference in appearance and rack size????????

Fisher-Dude
12-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh ya, FD sorry to wreck yer fun, but i wasnt on my quad when i got that buck!

I meant the blacktail hunter was quaddin Mark, not you. I know you were sloggin bush, when ya popped yours. Not that it makes any difference to me, I'd love to shoot a buck like yours on the side of the road or 3 km back in the bramblies. It's "others" who consider bucks lesser trophies if someone is fortunate enough to be closer to a road when they shoot one.

Hell, my book whitey piled up 30 yards from a road I was able to get my truck into. That's just the way it worked out. It wasn't for lack of effort - I hunted that area with no success for close to 20 years, chasing them around in the thick stuff before he made the mistake of taking a second look at me. It's no less a trophy to me.

dana
12-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Mark,
That is an easy question to answer. It is all a matter of hunting pressure. The bucks on the island have a ton of pressure (both from man and cougar) and they aren't getting the age on them that is needed to produce huge racks. The bucks along the coast have less pressure, more room to hide and more room to grow old. Genetics probably have something to do with it too. The gene pool to draw from on the Island is limited whereas the Coast it ain't.

Jetboater
12-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Ive got blacktail fever, its pretty sweet to see monsters like that, on the mainland we have very similar bt that the island has but like anything you hace to pass on a few dinks to shoot a good one. the island has some whoppers as well, especially port hardy and areas around there,we have the same bucks but you have to pass the lttle ones to get to the bigger ones, look at Bucks like t-bones and a few others and you really see the characteristics of the bucks. body size varies greatly on blacktails which will make them decieving , I shot a 3 point that weighed 179lbs once and a 4 point that weighed in at 124 Lbs both true blacktails but from different areas.the heavier buck was closer to the coast.bootm line is just cause its not from the island does not mean its not a bt. Heres an old Sumas MTN blacktail that I got from a few years back.

Tarp Man
12-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Mark, one other thing to consider is that the pictures of the bucks you are seeing, that the shooters are identifying as blacktails, is that they were shot off the beaten path. I am sure you can vouch for the increasing number of monster mulies that you see, the farther you get from heavily hunted areas. It would seem the same for blacktails. You hike your tail off and get into some nasty areas, then you start to see more and bigger deer. And with the larger geographic area for blacktails to hide and grow large and avoid predators, (obviously excepting the one Lapadat found) then one would think this would naturally lead to large deer and larger antlers seen by fewer people.

~T-BONE~
12-23-2006, 11:38 AM
To whom it may concern; There are huge Blacktails on the island aswell the biggest that I'm aware of was taken in 64' on the Nitinat river. at 140 2/8. Not to mention some 130 in. class deer in the Gordon river area as well. Also check out this thread;
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8841&highlight=heaviest+Blacktail
There are some good genes there, but as said before predation keeps the majority from reaching maturity! As well some folks who may not be intrested in getting their bucks scored for the books. Some of these big bucks don't always score worth a st#t beig heavy 2's or weak tined 3's, but are really heavy (poor genes). Not too mention these hawgs are far and few between! This one (original posted pic) probably won't go over 160! So in my opinion thats like a 200 mule deer. So really whats the huff all about? They were taken within B+C boundries regardless it looks Blackie enough for me!

Here is an example of weak scoring X-large blackie that doesn't score worth sh#t! Approx 200lbs dressed..
http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/8151/user/236676/334517.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/blacktail18.jpg

Will
12-23-2006, 11:46 AM
LMAO!!!!:lol:

Kirby
You're Not the Only one Laughing His A$$ off......:lol:

Islandeer
12-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Dana, hunting pressure on the island is probably the least of the factors preventing island bucks from sporting headbones like the blackies on the mainland. Wolves kicked the crap out of island deer herds in the 80's and 90's,as well prime oldgrowth winter range is very scarce. The productive practises of burning slashes is also no longer done and the slashes are not as productive. So poor groceries,poor winter range and a wolf population out of control drove down island deer numbers. Cougers too take their share. There are a bunch of Whitie sub-species so is it that much of a stretch to say those monster coastal range bt's could be a sub-species of Blacktail?

Elkhound
12-23-2006, 04:49 PM
It's funny when you get a half decent blacktail everyone says it must have mulie in it. When I posted this thread last year
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3912&highlight=blacktail+scored

I had a few PMs telling me to quit calling it a blacktail. It was a hybrid. Look at all the white in the face in the pic. Well it's a blacktail through and through. No mulies close to the sunshine coast here.....but it's not a Vanc Island deer so it can't be a pure blacktail:lol:

3kills
12-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Dave cut the bullshit u know thats a mulie lol....

Elkhound
12-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Dave cut the bullshit u know thats a mulie lol....

Shhhhhhhhhh:lol:

Caveman
12-27-2006, 12:37 AM
WTF!! Did this turn into the Mark bashing thread? Nice buck, just the same. Not to fan the flames on the debate but being that close to the BC boundary for a recordable BT, you have to wonder a little. I'm just glad that when I shoot a muledeer that there is no question unless it's a whitetail. A true blacktail to be reconized should be isolated, because it is so closely related to a muledeer, who to say it is not 75% muledeer. Cool looking rack just the same. JUST AN OPINION save the bashing for the others.