PDA

View Full Version : Core-Lokt Ammo Good for Take-Downs???

HarryToolips
03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Hi all I've been practicing/sighting-in/trying different types of ammo for my new Remington 700 .30-06 quite a bit over the last month. I personally like the 180 grain bullet for the 06', and found overall groupings were tighter compared to 150's. I tried 5 different types of ammo, all 180 grain, with the following results:

1.Federal Power Shok (blue box) - likes the ammo, groupings OK, but not great.
2.Hornady SST (ballistic tip) - Not good
3. Remington Core-lokt Ultra Bonded (more expensive, green box) - Hates em!!
4. Federal Fusions (orange box) - very good groupings
5. Remington regular Core-lokts (cheaper, yellow/green box) - Loves em!! Fantastic groupings, better than with the Fusions

So obviously I'm sticking with the cheaper Remington Core-Lokts, but my question is, with this cheaper ammo, have any of you experienced problems with taking down big game with them, even with what you are sure was a well-placed shot??

r106
03-10-2013, 12:35 PM
they will work if you do your part

Ozone
03-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Shot lots with the CLs. Normal routine with them is Bang, Flop. My 06 like the 150s better, but they seem to work on the deer, bears and moose that I have shot, ok, moose needed a second shot.

brig
03-10-2013, 12:57 PM
That's the ammo I have used with my .06. 180 grain and I have had no trouble with animals running away.

Drillbit
03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
SST's are hornady interlock bullets, not BallisticTip noslers.

Used core-lokts for a few years in the late 90's in a 7mm BDL and they worked well for me. I wouldn't choose them as first choice for an elk hunt though.

gunpower
03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
SST's are hornady interlock bullets, not BallisticTip noslers.

Used core-lokts for a few years in the late 90's in a 7mm BDL and they worked well for me. I wouldn't choose them as first choice for an elk hunt though.

If your rifle likes them - use them!!

Rackmastr
03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Killed several critters with CoreLokts (plain jane ones) in my 30-06 when I was younger. 180 gr is what I ended up shooting, only because thats what Dad shot and what everyone else seemed to shoot. This was back before I knew much about 'premium' and controlled expansion bullets, and I shot a couple elk, some bears, plenty of deer, etc, etc with them. They performed great and I never had any issues.

These days I shoot a lot of TSX, Accubonds, NP, etc, etc....but those CoreLokts probably did as much or more killing when I was younger and shooting more critters!

warnniklz
03-10-2013, 10:32 PM
USe core lokts out of the old 250 sav