PDA

View Full Version : German Wirehair Pointer

Foxtail
03-10-2013, 08:24 AM
I may be the new pappa to a 3 year old German Wirehair pointer. I am going to meet him tomorrow... Is there anything I should look for? He was trained as a hunting dog as a puppy but has never actually been hunting.

Foxton Gundogs
03-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Just dont push him back into it to fast you have all summer take it slow restart him right...Have fun

Foxtail
03-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Well... I have the wife talked into a 1 week trial period :) Meet Max

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/foxtail-offroad/IMG_20130311_192449_zpsc469aade.jpg

KDMC67
03-12-2013, 06:52 AM
thats no morkie..lol have fun..love the fuzz.....

Philcott
03-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Looks like he's making himself right at home.

Foxton Gundogs
03-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Have fun looks like a gooder.

Deeboe
03-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Nice dog, I'm trying to convince my wide on a GSP...

hotload
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Well... I have the wife talked into a 1 week trial period :) Meet Max

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/foxtail-offroad/IMG_20130311_192449_zpsc469aade.jpg

One week is more than enough time for your wife to give in to those eyes. Have fun and take things slow with his hunting abilities........................................

Foxtail
03-12-2013, 08:50 AM
I tried to have him sleep down in the basement because the wife doesnt want him in the bedroom... The people we got him from said he had a bit of seperation anxiety... At about 2:30am I had to go down there and sleep because he started chewing the doorframe lol. It's not so bad because I already destroyed that doorframe moving my sectional couch down there that didnt fit at all. So far he is wonderful with the kids, very obedient, and extremely smart. He is trying to test me though. Every chance he gets he tries to be on top of me, but I just move him off and put my hand on his head. So far he is lestening very well and is pretty good on the leash, he pulls a bit but is doing great with minor correction. The one problem he has is his nails have overgrown. I have started trimming them... the only problem it causes is he is affraid of the laminate floor and looks like bambi on ice... its kinda funny and kinda sad at the same time.

xfactor
03-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I highly recommend crate training. Have done it with all of our dogs over the years. Peace of mind that your dog cant hurt himself getting into something he shouldn't while you are not around, but also lets your wife chill out that the house is not being destroyed. you know what they say about a happy wife...:)

Google for more info on this topic, IMO an invaluable tool/training aid for time outs, the dogs security, and safety.

Foxtail
03-12-2013, 01:26 PM
I was actually thinking about crate training him, I had to crate train my springer when I had him years ago... He was nuts... entirely ate our first apartment when we went out... every door jam, window sill, corner of wall and every square inch of carpet... Loved that little dog lol

lip_ripper00
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Get home and vacume before the wife, after a week and she won't be able let him go. After 2 days I have hair bunnies rolling down the hall.....

Foxtail
03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Sit Max... Good Max...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg162/foxtail-offroad/IMG_20130312_155054_zps6aa7285b.jpg

yamadirt 426
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Nice dog man, i hope it all works out !

Foxton Gundogs
03-12-2013, 06:47 PM
EVERY dog should be crate trained Min will lay in their crate by the hr. with the door open. Dogs are den animals and crates become their safe private place. I use the crate when hunting in layout blinds instead of the "dog door" I put a camoed crate beside my blind on the left side and the dog wiil stay hidden till I give the release comand. Deffiately crate train your dog.

Foxtail
03-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info Foxton, I will def. get a crate tomorrow. I think My dad has an extra one. Honestly, this is the most all around well behaved dog I have ever had. I really hope this works out. He is just great with my kids(2 and 5) we had a great trial offleash romp at the big dogpark. I had him sit and stay while I unleashed him and he stayed until I gave him the go ahead. I waited until he was out of sight and then a loud "Max Back" and he came running to my side. 3 times and then back home because we were soaked.

Foxtail
03-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Bad news... the negotiations with the wife are not going well. I have been off the last three days and it has been fine but I go back to work tomorrow and Max doesn't listen to the wife very well... she said I could take him back or me and Max should start looking for an apartment... I took Max back tonight, which sucked but I told the lady I would help her find someone to take him. He is located in Langley pm me if you would like some info. He will need to go to someone who will actually work him. I had him at my parents today and he was working the big field like a champ. My dad said he would take him he he didn't have his golden retriever. I'm sad...

Foxton Gundogs
03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
That sucks its usually not the dogs fault the wife needs some training in handling dogs to disrespect intended but I bet if she took him to a handling class she would learn a lot. Kinda sounds like she just didn't want a dog period. Sorry for you and Max

ruger#1
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Sorry to here this. You can also post him on dogwoog rescue courtisy posts. Talk to Lori or Denise

Foxtail
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys... She does want a dog... just not this dog. He is a bit big and has a bit too much energy for the small amount of free time i have available. I really did want to make it work though. Let me know if anyone is interested in him though because I would like to see him go to a good place... Preferrably not a rescue...

ruger#1
03-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys... She does want a dog... just not this dog. He is a bit big and has a bit too much energy for the small amount of free time i have available. I really did want to make it work though. Let me know if anyone is interested in him though because I would like to see him go to a good place... Preferrably not a rescue... This place places dogs in hunting homes. There is nothing wrong with them. My GSP was 14 months old when I got her. She was going to a high kill shelter until Dogwood got a hold of her. The courtisy posting, Is when they post a picture of the dog on their site. The dog stays with the owner. And if some one sees it they get a hold of doogwood or the owner of the dog. It gives more exposure to more people looking for a dog and it is free.

Foxtail
03-16-2013, 10:59 PM
A good friend of mine might be taking him. He lives out at Hatzic lake. Just has to see if he gets along with his great dane...

lip_ripper00
03-17-2013, 12:15 AM
Bad news... the negotiations with the wife are not going well. I have been off the last three days and it has been fine but I go back to work tomorrow and Max doesn't listen to the wife very well... she said I could take him back or me and Max should start looking for an apartment... someone who will actually work him. I had him at my parents today and he was working the big field like a champ. My dad said he would take him he he didn't have his golden I took Max back tonight, which sucked but I told the lady I would help her find someone to take him. He is located in Langley pm me if you would like some info. He will need to go toretriever. I'm sad...

God, this would be music to my ears!!! good luck with the chewawa

KDMC67
03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
OH good luck Max....play nice and you may get your happy ever after.

Cami
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Its fun myn doesn't listen to anybody but me either.
The good thing is i can take him to work.
When someone else tells him off he just look's at them with his WHAT EVER face and walks away.

KDMC67
03-18-2013, 07:15 PM
hummmm he is just like his mommy Cami....

Cami
03-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Yeah
Now he is getting a bit to protective of the shop - no stranger allowed around here !!! But we are working on it .
He is about 55 lb. now.
Loves to play fight with me.
But he gets pushed around by Mia pretty good.
Oh and Tip for everybody when you bring a new dog home bring as well a Rumba ( robo- vacuum) and you don't have to worry about dust bunnys.
That little machine is a live safer

KDMC67
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
thats to funny cami..

Foxtail
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately max did not get along with Nash the great Dane... I feel pretty bad about the whole thing, I really want to take the poor guy. Some new news though, my buddy took him to the dyke out by Hatzic and worked some fields with him and he is apparently an amazing working dog... Listened great and pointed several times. Fetched a stick in the water for over an hour.

ruger#1
03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Find him a good home Foxtail, He sounds like a great dog and you have a big heart.

KDMC67
03-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Ohhh best of luck finding him a home,,sounds like a great dog for someone.....