PDA

View Full Version : black bear size

olympia
03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
my grandmas uncles baysitters barbers nephew told me that grizzly bears on the coast are much larger than the ones towards the interior, would this apply to black bears? i intend on hunting black bears in region 5 this may, should i be heading the other way if i want a big bruin?

adamgarbett
03-10-2013, 12:58 AM
Vancouver island!!!!! Pumpkin heads

cdnshooter13
03-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Come to the island in late may and go up to woss or port hardy area theres lots of big bears up there!

sawmill
03-10-2013, 09:38 AM
More food,warmer winters=less hibernation=more time to eat and get big.

Ozone
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Some bears on the Island are stumbling aroud already

HarryToolips
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Thats what I heard, bigger bears on the coast and Van Island cause winter ain't as long- longer eatin season

gerrygoat
03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
my grandmas uncles baysitters barbers nephew told me that grizzly bears on the coast are much larger than the ones towards the interior, would this apply to black bears? i intend on hunting black bears in region 5 this may, should i be heading the other way if i want a big bruin?

You can get big black bears anywhere in B.C. although they do get bigger on average on the coast. I would head up to region 5 as you planned and try to take a couple, hold out for a big black one and also see if you can get a chocolate or blond one. Vancouver island has big bears but they are big the full length of the coast and you won't be able to get any other color than black on the coast. Interior bear also usually have thicker fur which is something to keep in mind.

Hunt-4-Life
03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Bears are what they eat, they gorge on salmon on the coast which will be reflected in the taste. Interior region 5 bears will be eating greens just about exclusively, something to keep in mind. I've seen some very respectable bears around Reg 5, and thd ones that I have taken have tasted great.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I would stick to the mainland bears, just as big and better coats by a mile. You can hunt area 5 until June 15 with little worry of rubs. Probably not as many bears but worth the hunt.

junkyard_g
03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
I know quesnel/pg very well and taken many bears the last few years. not overly knowledgeable of the south and west portions of 5 though. LOTS of color phase bears around quesnel, one now on my wall. PM me if you choose to hunt north of williams lake. just dont come up before about may 15 as they are slimmer pickings depending on the timing of the snow melt. may long is always a safe bet for bears up here.