PDA

View Full Version : Elk Sheds

Sitkaspruce
03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Here are some elk sheds that my wife's cousin picked up in Manitoba, not sure where. Her uncle usually just sells them. not sure about this set though. I will try to find out what he did with them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Hunting%2012/165963_10152599519335704_2031621421_n_zps1a5ae8bc. jpg

Not sure of score, but they are one of the bigges set's I have seen a while.

Cheers

SS

cameron0518
03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Holy f***!!!! Wow!

pnbrock
03-09-2013, 07:49 PM
holy crapp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bc Deer Hunter
03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
WOW congrats to your wifes cousin! Great looking animal id imagine :D

604redneck
03-09-2013, 07:56 PM
i would be looking for an xl cape and mounting them lol

just hunt
03-09-2013, 08:51 PM
that is some serious bone .

Caribou_lou
03-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Wowza! I don't say that very often!

BlacktailStalker
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Jesus ****ing Christ !!!

Phreddy
03-09-2013, 09:18 PM
None of the above and nothing I could say could even come close to doing that set of bones justice. Beauties for sure. Would love to run into the one that was wearing them.

Sitkaspruce
03-09-2013, 09:56 PM
So, the sheds were bought by her uncle from a good friend of his, who found them on zippermouth hill. Her cousin is holding them and will or is getting them scored. All he would say is they are over 400 by a bit. The good news is this elk is still alive....they don't have the wolf problems, just the two legged pred type.

Pretty amazing set of bone.

Cheers

SS

HarryToolips
03-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Insane!!!!!!!

hunter1947
03-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Thats what I guessed before I read this thread very nice shed antlers for sure ,,I would give my left n*t to have a crack at the bull that was caring these antlers my guess is 409 points gross..

kennyj
03-10-2013, 06:28 AM
Wow!!! Unbelievable!! More pics would be awesome.

kenny

MB_Boy
03-10-2013, 10:01 AM
So, the sheds were bought by her uncle from a good friend of his, who found them on zippermouth hill. Her cousin is holding them and will or is getting them scored. All he would say is they are over 400 by a bit. The good news is this elk is still alive....they don't have the wolf problems, just the two legged pred type.

Pretty amazing set of bone.

Cheers

SS

Hey Ken......are the sheds from a Manitoba elk or from outside the province?

.300WSMImpact!
03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
very tough to get elk draws in Manitoba and non residents dont even get a chance at them, because of that there are some monsters out there, I have seen a few, plus they are a different type of elk they are not rocky or rosie, I beleive they are what is called a manitobin elk, I also have heard that because of the tough restrictions to get tags boone and crocket doesnt recognize them as a trophy animal

dragonslayer
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Not that big, I let them go like that all the time, just kidding, absolulely huge!:-D

2chodi
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
They do farm elk in Manitoba.

Sitkaspruce
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Hey Ken......are the sheds from a Manitoba elk or from outside the province?

Scott, it is a Manitoba elk from up by Swan River area.

They do farm elk in Manitoba.

Wild and free elk.

Cheers

SS

knighthunter
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
If your a Manitoba resident it's not all that difficult to get drawn for elk. But if you get drawn, then you can't apply for 2 years. I was drawn 6 times in 16 years. If your a landowner resident, you can apply every year (could be anterless tho).
I used to shed antler hunt every spring in Manitoba, found lots of elk antlers, but nothing close to that size. great pic, thanks for sharing with us.

knighthunter
03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Swan River that's where I moved here from. Lots of elk over there. You and I must have been typing at the same time.

dana
03-10-2013, 07:38 PM
SWEET!!!! Now those are some sheds to get excited about.

MB_Boy
03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey Ken,

I am not saying this to be an arse in the slightest:wink:.....me thinks this was some internet twisting before it got to you; just heard this afternoon that they are indeed from a ranch elk near Swan River. I buzzed the pic to my Dad as he is Mr. Ungulate Biologist in MB and ask if he had seen them or perhaps had a chance to score them as he is a B&C scorer as well. He fired the pic up to his friend Rick in Swan River who is known for collecting and I guess buying/selling sheds.....these ones he didn't and they are in his personal collection. In the email I got from Rick today in a chat between he, my Dad and I he had said when his son Derek was home a couple of weeks back he said they should take a picture and let Derek put it up on Facebook to see the attention it would get; apparently they got noticed!!! :wink:

Score that he has on them was 454.

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Nice elk sheds!!!!!

Sitkaspruce
03-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Hey Ken,

I am not saying this to be an arse in the slightest:wink:.....me thinks this was some internet twisting before it got to you; just heard this afternoon that they are indeed from a ranch elk near Swan River. I buzzed the pic to my Dad as he is Mr. Ungulate Biologist in MB and ask if he had seen them or perhaps had a chance to score them as he is a B&C scorer as well. He fired the pic up to his friend Rick in Swan River who is known for collecting and I guess buying/selling sheds.....these ones he didn't and they are in his personal collection. In the email I got from Rick today in a chat between he, my Dad and I he had said when his son Derek was home a couple of weeks back he said they should take a picture and let Derek put it up on Facebook to see the attention it would get; apparently they got noticed!!! :wink:

Score that he has on them was 454.

Rick is my wifes cousin....small world eh!!!!:-D Yea, I just got the story from them tonight, although they did not say farm, they did say 454 was the score.

Nice set no matter what.

Thanks Scott, your not a PIMA at least :mrgreen::-D
Cheers

SS

MB_Boy
03-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Rick is my wifes uncle and Derek is her cousin....small world eh!!!!:-D Yea, I just got the story from them tonight, although they did not say farm, they did say 454 was the score.

Nice set no matter what.

Thanks Scott, your not a PIMA at least :mrgreen::-D
Cheers

SS

Hahaha....REAL small world as he's emailed me a few times today and was giving my Dad gears about getting up his way to do some shed hunting this spring. :tongue:

knighthunter
03-11-2013, 09:05 PM
I shed antler hunted for quite a few years when I lived in Swan River. I sold a fair amount of bone to Rick. No monsters tho. He always had some impressive antlers that he had bought tho.

Sitkaspruce
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Hahaha....REAL small world as he's emailed me a few times today and was giving my Dad gears about getting up his way to do some shed hunting this spring. :tongue:

Will be seeing him this fall at my SIL wedding in The Pas, hope to get down and see his collection.

Thanks for all this

Cheers

SS

adriaticum
03-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Wow, NICE!

.300WSMImpact!
03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
I shed antler hunted for quite a few years when I lived in Swan River. I sold a fair amount of bone to Rick. No monsters tho. He always had some impressive antlers that he had bought tho.

you ever sell any bone to a guy named Russel a little south of there

knighthunter
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
One spring I sold antlers to a guy that owned the meat shop in Benito, can't remember his name.

.300WSMImpact!
03-12-2013, 06:56 PM
One spring I sold antlers to a guy that owned the meat shop in Benito, can't remember his name.

my grandfather bought furs and sheds out of Roblin area