PDA

View Full Version : Hilleberg Nallo2 GT

RiverOtter
03-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Aquired this tent last year, after much research and deliberation. Basically, I was looking for a tent that could handle extreme weather, was reasonably light, had a functional vestibule, and provided ample room for 2 people and gear if conditions negated travel. One feature I didn't give much thought to, but would not forgo again, is an external pole system, where the pole sleeves are attached to the outside of the fly. If you've ever had to set up a conventional tent in a down pour, you know exactly what I mean. Below are a couple pics of each end of the tent, then I'll get to my thoughts so far....
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u466/RiverOtter_2012/IMG_0126_zps9fe3df13.jpg
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u466/RiverOtter_2012/IMG_0127_zps3c9a6e99.jpg

The top pic is the entrance end and everything up to the middle pole is vestibule; essentially a tent in front of a tent. Being that the inner tent unclips from the fly, via dog bone and loop attachments, you could turn the fly into a huge carport of sorts. The downside to this much space is obviously the required foot print, which is 12' plus, excluding guy lines. That said, the tent is very versatile and you don't need to stretch the vestibule right out, as the front portion up to the first hoop, zips away and clips to the side. Having the vestibule extend out at tent height for 4' or so, is a nice change from the old "lean to" style that soaked you in condensation as you exited and were always in the way if you had to cook in foul weather.

The 9mm poles on the Nallo are robust, to say the least, and are nothing like any 4 season pole I've ever seen in a normal tent(Their hard core expedition tents have 10mm poles.) The pole sleeves themselves are constructed with a material that feels like a cross between a radial tire and cordura, and I have no concern with them failing anytime soon. While the Nallo isn't classified as a free standing tent, its pole sleeve tensioners make it pretty darn close, with the upside being that it allows for a lighter overall weight, compared to a traditional dome style. The "V' pegs that come with the tent are also far superior to traditional aluminum round pegs.

The inner tent itself is shaped a bit like a wedge, with the roof angling down towards the foot end. Great design for sleep and saving weight, not so good for maneuvering when you're the second person getting into the tent. In the big picture, it is a minor bitch, but still worth mentioning just the same, as most won't see their Hille set up until it arrives in the mail, as there are no Canadian dealers.

As I've only had the tent since July 2012, I really can't comment on durability, other than to say it looks/feels tough so far. I opted not to buy a foot print with the tent, mainly due to added weight, but I do lay down an industrial garbage bag under the kneeling/sitting area at the door of the tent to help prevent a puncture. We had good weather last fall, so other than some dew, the tent hasn't seen a rain drop. We did however see some good wind, which the tent shrugged off rather impressively I thought, no flapping or caved in walls. The Hubba Hubba next door enjoyed a good wind break, as we were on the windward side. :)

Got a few trips planned for this year, and I'll be sure to post any more likes/dislikes as I find them.