PDA

View Full Version : Something to think about!

chilcotin hillbilly
03-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Something to think about!
I was not sure whether I would share this story but afterrelaying it to a friend last night he pushed me into sharing it. I hope it willgive you something to think about before you pull the trigger on female cougarand the consequences that may affect others.
The story starts back in Febuary during a a cougar hunt Iwas guiding. Usually all my lion hunts are done on my own, but this one wasdifferent with not one but two helpers along for the hunt. Both guys are up andcoming houndsmen and where here wanting to learn a little about hunting the bigcats. Little did they know that this day would give them a memory that wouldlast a lifetime.
We had loaded up some sleds on my truck and with the dogsloaded in Mike’s dog box inside of his canopy we headed off to the mosteasterly section of my guide block. Idon’t usually go to this area as itreceives lots of pressure from the Williams lake cat hunters and it’s an 11/2hr drive to get there.
We unloaded the dogs when we got there and let them emptyout before loading them back up. One of mikes dogs had ventured down the road acouple hundred yards before being called back, this was to set the stage forwhat happened next. I unloaded a sled tocheck a spur road and sent Mike and Darcy to drive the road we were on to checkfor lion tracks. Mike had not gone 100yards down the road before he stopped and called me over to check out a cougarsitting on the road. Sitting on the road!!!! I called both hunters over to take look at this strange situation. Iknew something was wrong with this cat as it sat 40 yards from us on the roadwatching us intently. I moved around tothe front of the truck to get a better look at the juvenile cat looking for atrap or sign of sickness, something that would of explained this strangebehavior! As I cleared the truck, the cat came for me running down the roadlocked on with bad intentions. Caughtoff guard and with no weapons handy I backed up a couple paces and consideredmy options, none where looking good right now. Both Mike and Darcy wherestanding in the truck cab with doors half open getting a good look at the catwhen this happened, both watching this unfold in disbelief. As the cat clearedthe front of the truck and prepared for the final attack Darcy bailed me out temporarilywith some quick thinking and tried to smoke the cat with the truck door. Thisstopped the immediate attack on me but changed the cat’s direction which endedup being the inside of Mike’s truck! Now with the cougar at Darcy’s feet tryingto get in the truck Darcy and I took to defending ourselves with our boots.Stomping and kicking madly with enough affect that the cat took cover under thetruck. I quickly took a look under thetruck to see where the cat went and to my surprise the cat popped its head outright beside me, I kicked once again at it head putting it back under thetruck. I quick went to back of the truck to release a dog, not so much to chasethe cat but to distract the cat long enough that we could arm ourselves to killthe cat. As Vicki (whom should have beennamed bait) hit the ground the cat ran out between the two hunters and grabbedthe dog. I attempted to open the dog box to give Vicki help as she wasobviously in distress but instead jumped out to help Vicki out myself. I was happyto see the boys fighting for the dog’s life, with Mike using his 30-30 as aclub and one of the hunters beating the cat in the face with his fists. Ijumped into the fray and when a couple quick kicks to the head didn’t make thecat let go of the dog I stepped on its head to keep it from moving, it was atthis time when Darcy stepped forward with his homemade custom Bowie knife andstuck the cat in the ribs quickly killing it. I now know what a huge knife likethat is good for and was glad to have someone with one, standing beside me.
With a few holy craps and what the hell just happened,everyone was a happy to have it over with. Vicki was by now having a chew onthe cat but was still shaken up but in good shape with only one hole in herside.
Shortly after this was over the local rancher happened byand let us know another juvenile tom cougar had been shot a few days previousat a nearby ranch as the cat tried to get into a dog kennel. Both of the these cats where starved and indesperation mode caused by a missing mother. Whether the mother was killed by ahunter or died of natural causes these two juveniles where orphaned and intough shape.
I am sharing this story to show people what the consequencesof killing females whether with dogs or killing a cat in a chance situationwhen deer hunting. (70% of females have dependant young)This cat could haveeasily ran into a kid walking to the bus or a housewife out for a walk. Insteadthe cat ran into 5 capable men that came out on top with little more thanmemories and a small hole in a dog.
I hope people will think before they shoot the first catthey see, as there can be terrible consequences for some on suspecting person.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/Cats%202012-13/002_zps791be7ff.jpg

Jack Russell
03-09-2013, 09:40 AM
That is quite an incident! Glad dogs and people are ok.

Dirty Steve
03-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Wow man... crazy story! Glad everybody faired out OK and the dog's ok.
Definatly something to think about and keep in consideration at all times.

The Silent Stalker
03-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Got to love those holy %&%^ moments! Glad you're all ok!

LBM
03-09-2013, 09:55 AM
You only have to look as far as this site to see that most dont care about the killing of females or the concequences it may cause.
Another big problem causing this is wolf snares, I realize you trap as well but there is many cats caught in snares.
Im guessing since you said Darcy killed it he ended up being the one who had to tag it.
Maybe you mentioned allready was it a female or male cat.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Yes , Darcy tagged it and it was a female.

Wolf snares can be an issue as well but not if the trapper thinks about his bait location This makes a difference.

dellis
03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
It was a female.......skinny as could be. And yes, I tagged it. Gonna have it tanned despite it's minimal size just as a reminder of the strange day.
Darcy

Philcott
03-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Quite an exciting moment for all you guys. Glad every one came out of it ok.

Apolonius
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
That is quiet a story.I dont cougar hunt and never done any attempt.I hope this is a lesson for many people in this sight.On the funny side ....i hope you had some extra underwear,or you could go commando.On the serious side.The best story so far.

sawmill
03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I just watched a cat hunt on Wild,Bow Madness I think.They shot a female cat out of a tree.
I don`t and never will hunt cats,not against it but here in the EK there is lots of game and I get to see a cougar once in a while alive and I like it that way.I don`t kill stuff I ain`t gonna eat.

Jagermeister
03-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Wow, that is epic. Sound advice as well.

NNS
03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Unfortunate life and ending for the cat..:(
But,,,, that is the way..

Maybe Mr. Ellis can post a picture of his homemade custom (cougar killing) Bowie knife???

<grin>

dellis
03-09-2013, 11:55 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/45stomp/P7180160n.jpg
9 1/2 inch damascus steel blade, elk antler handle.
Too bad this cat couldn't leave well enough alone, but sure glad it tried to mess with us and not some little kid playing in the backyard.

Darcy

RiverOtter
03-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Wow, that cat looks like it was "rugged out" before you guys even rolled onto the scene.

Good ending to the story though, all things considered....

LBM
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM
It was a female.......skinny as could be. And yes, I tagged it. Gonna have it tanned despite it's minimal size just as a reminder of the strange day.
Darcy

Ya seen a couple cats so emaciated with there ribs and hip bones sticking out, not a pretty sight to see. Is there something wrong with the front paw or is it just the way it looks
in the picture.

weatherby_man
03-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Wow thats a crazy story! Glad it ended out ok for you guys, and ya you could have saved someones life in the process. Guess this goes back to the old scout motto - always be prepared (meaning always have a big knife handy :wink:).

LBM
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Yes , Darcy tagged it and it was a female.

Wolf snares can be an issue as well but not if the trapper thinks about his bait location This makes a difference.
I guess you could check the harvest report to see if there was any females taken outa the area.
Had a couple of 30-40lb kittens starve last year because the trapper caught the mother.
Looks like it has happened again this year only the cat is similar to the size of the one you incountered.

Wrj
03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Wow, can you say "adrenaline rush!?!?" Glad you're all okay

The Hermit
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Holy molie! Great story to tell the great grand kids! Thanks for sharing!

mark
03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
Wow, thats an amazing story Doug!
Sure is lots of bizarre cougar stories this year???
As mentioned.... Glad it happened to a bunch of hunters instead of a helpless person.

Gateholio
03-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Thats a pretty wild ride! :)

dellis
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Ya seen a couple cats so emaciated with there ribs and hip bones sticking out, not a pretty sight to see. Is there something wrong with the front paw or is it just the way it looks
in the picture.
There was some damage on the front foot........looked like it had been in a trap maybe. It did not seem to hinder the cat's mobility, but if it had been stuck in a trap for a while, that may account for how hungry it was. We did see where the cat came down out of the steep country and followed a snowmobile trail for at least 8km or so....I think during the night before this all happened. I wish I had been able to backtrack further and find out more, but did not get the opportunity.
Darcy

rides bike to work
03-09-2013, 11:52 PM
And people say its useless hunting cougars with out dogs.

Just gotta cruise the roads with a big knife

awsome story

Glassman
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Poor cat. I feel sorry for it.

Husky7mm
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Perhaps the huge increase In wolves has put such a dent in the game that the competitors are starting to starve, or maybe just that many cats?

sarnold
03-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks for sharing!!!!!
Like many have said glad it happened to a bunch of capable hunters!!
what a rush that must have been!!!!!!

proguide66
03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Thats some crazy shit right there !