PDA

View Full Version : Lowa tibets vs lowa hunter

Skull Hunter
03-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Well I'm looking into buying a pair of one of these boots. Ideally I'd be using them for all my mountain hiking through spring summer and fall. I think I prefer the hunters as I already have a pail of Miendels which are a bit shorter.

MY concern with the lowa hunters is the insulation. Do any of you guys find these boots just too warm for summer hiking, like an early season sheep hunt? How well do they dry from sweat saturating the liner?

Thanks for any info
-z

mike-juliet
03-11-2013, 06:31 AM
I have both the Tibets and the Hunters. My Hunters are a year old and my Tibets are going on two years old. Both Boots are holding up well and I have for the most part enjoyed my time spent in both of them. Plenty of support in steep terrain with a pack on but at the same time I have no issue spending all day walking around in flat terrain with them on and actually wear them to work from time to time. I found I was always doubling up on socks in my Tibets just to keep my feet warm so by going with the Hunters I wear a single pair of midweight Marino Wool socks and I am always comfortable. If you wear a good sock you shouldn't have too much issues with noticable foot wetness and I have never found 400g of insulation to be too much. It's one of those things I'd rather have hot feet once or twice then cold feet once or twice personally. One gripe I have with both pairs I own is the fact that due to my narrow foot I have some unavoidable heel slip in both pairs, not a fault of the boots that is just the shape of my foot. I will be adding a pair of Kenetreks to my boot stable this year as they make a Narrow Width in there Mountain Guide boot and I will once again be going with a 400g insulated.

MBOGO
03-11-2013, 06:50 AM
I have used the Hunters for the last 5 years. I really like mine, there is the odd day when they are a bit to warm,but overall not an issue. They dry out overnight by the wood stove. I just changed the insoles to super feet insoles,that I find way better than the stock ones.

Rackmastr
03-11-2013, 08:12 AM
I've used both. I've found the Tibets to be the better 'all around' boot, not counting late November hunting and really cold weather stuff. For summer and into October, the Tibets have performed great and are a nice weight, without too much insulation, etc.

The Hunters I had were going on about 5-6 years ago and they are a rock solid boot. They are a bit heavier and warmer for a summer hike, but with good socks they still worked fine and I never noticed them being 'too hot'. That being said, the Tibets are much better for foot temps in the summer and most of fall. Until you get into the late October and really snowy stuff, thats when the Hunters start to shine.

I currently have a pair of Tibets and Meindl Winters which I use in late November as a 'cold weather boot'. I dont think you can go wrong with either of the Lowa options.

Husky7mm
03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
I have the Tibets and as soon as the we got a few skiffs of snow my feet got cold if I was standing around. You really notice the lack of insulation with the rubber rand. The boots are holding up fine but they hurt the feet. I think they are made for narrow feet as I gave them to my brother inlaw (who also has a wide foot) to try out, and same problem, aching feet. After lots of side hilling my feet really hurt.

mike-juliet
03-13-2013, 06:32 AM
I have the Tibets and as soon as the we got a few skiffs of snow my feet got cold if I was standing around. You really notice the lack of insulation with the rubber rand. The boots are holding up fine but they hurt the feet. I think they are made for narrow feet as I gave them to my brother inlaw (who also has a wide foot) to try out, and same problem, aching feet. After lots of side hilling my feet really hurt.

have you tried replacing the insoles? First thing I do with all my boots is rip out the insoles they come with and I usually go with a set of Superfeet insoles, they have a plastic sole on them which molds and cradles your foot a bit better in the boot then the foam one that comes with the boot, give this a try and see if it works for you.

MBOGO
03-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Lows makes the hunter in a wide that's what I wear.