PDA

View Full Version : Hunting from a small boat

rides bike to work
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I have a 14ft G4 guide aluminum boat with a 20horse out board jet that I use for fishing on the Fraser as well on small lakes in the spring.With this set up it moves me and one other person with our gear up the Fraser at a good clip.

I have never been up north but would love to go some time. I know this boat won't do me much good on the tochodi or muskwa but was wondering if there is any other rivers or lakes where this boat could get me into some nice moose elk country. It would be just me and my dad with 60pound packs so the boat should get us up river no problem. If we were successfull we could some what drift back down with our animal.

My dad is 61 but tougher than me very physically fit he has hunted his whole life but mostly within a 4 hour drive from the lower mainland as well the kootneys a bit as that's where he was raised. I would love to bring him on a northern adventure.

Detailed directions and honey holes are welcome ;)

sawmill
03-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I used to hunt the Peace River with a canoe.Put in at Ft.ST. John and float down to the Clayhurst Ferry(now a bridge) by Rolla.Lots of great spots for moose that you can`t get to any other way.You could float it then motor back up,we used to hit the water at around 3 in the afternoon,float halfway and camp then carry on in the morning.Gave us an evening hunt and a morning hunt.Wives picked us up at Clayhurst.It`s a big safe river,bring a fishing rod too.

canishunter22-250
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Like sawmill said, the Peace is a very good and safe bet. You could also put in at Hudson's Hope and drift back to FSJ.

Williston can be used as a corridor to get a boater into some great country, but I'm thinkin you'd be temping fate to try it with a 14 footer. Can get pretty hairy at times.

lip_ripper00
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
have a look at Quesnel Lake :cool:

Sofa King
03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
have a look at Quesnel Lake :cool:

i heard the grizz have been troublesome around quesnel lake.
even just putting the boat ashore while fishing, they'll show up and be quite aggressive.

an even better trip and adventure would be to go up and fish atlin lake or the lower part of tagish.
better hunting and better fishing.
trip of a lifetime.

argyle1
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
thutade lake be a good one--just don't be tempted to try going a ways down the Finlay--you will crash and drown
morice river from houston would be good for your boat
you could go quite a ways up the finlay river from Tsay kay-with your boat
the most perfect match for your boat that I know of would be the dease river--all the way from dease lake to lower post on the liard--its an awsome trip

Sofa King
03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
thutade lake be a good one--just don't be tempted to try going a ways down the Finlay--you will crash and drown
morice river from houston would be good for your boat
you could go quite a ways up the finlay river from Tsay kay-with your boat
the most perfect match for your boat that I know of would be the dease river--all the way from dease lake to lower post on the liard--its an awsome trip

that would be a fun one.

adamgarbett
03-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I have wanted to do a trip like that since hunting in mcbride last fall. some of the rivers I was hunting along we're so awesome looking it just became an instant jones of mine.

rides bike to work
03-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the great tips. I know people sometimes get flack on here for asking where to hunt but without getting a bit of help I would never know where to start. Ill be doing some serious google earth scouting now. With oppertunities for fishing on the Fraser dwindling and moose leh not throwing me a bone I'm stoked to go on an northern moose adventure with my old man and get the boat in the water.

trebreklaw
03-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Both Thutade and Quesnel Lake can be very dangerous in any boat. Dease river is great trip. Finlay is a good but hunted out by FNs

rides bike to work
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I was looking at the dease river from the lake to the liard.looks like a long drift how long does it take.

Cordillera
03-07-2013, 09:34 PM
It's about 290 km from the lake to lower post. Ten days canoeing. You can break it into sections. Two days from dease lake to dease crossing. Five days to French creek rec site and three more to lower post.

There is also good hunting on dease lake itself. Camp at sawmill point and cruise the lake.

Fred1
03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Omineca River.. near Germansen landing - your boat will have no trouble. Not sure if there are elk over there but there sure are moose! Check the regs you may need a draw...

albravo2
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
great thread. very interesting to me.

i've heard the crooked river, north of PG, is good. most people do it in a canoe.

AlexB
03-08-2013, 05:56 AM
The Peace River area is real nice
Put in at the halfway river and go up the halfway
lots and lots of elk some moose
awsome fishing for big bull trout 25 pounds plus

Foxton Gundogs
03-08-2013, 08:09 AM
X 3 on the Dease I spent 2 years in the Cassiar country and it was AWSOME back then love to do it again before I'm to old. A G-bear caused my sister abd bro-in-law to return to the boat hurridly(I want say they were chased BUT) on Qusenel a couple of years ago and the lake can blow up a bit.

Why not?
07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
....the most perfect match for your boat that I know of would be the dease river--all the way from dease lake to lower post on the liard--its an awsome trip

How long a trip is that? I have a 22 ft freighter canoe, and sounds like that would be quite an enjoyable trip. Is the water high or low near summer's end?

When we do the Big Salmon in the Yukon, we take it real easy, and spend ten days over 230 miles.

Thanks,
Ted

trebreklaw
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Water can be low but Sept is usually OK. Start at Dease and float river and a few small lakes.Once past Cotton lake it is fairly isolated. Good grailing fishing . A 10 day drift would probably be a good easy trip.

Caution!!! There have been some problems with leaving equipment unattended at Lower Post. Best to leave someone with boat and hitch a ride to Watson Lake get a vehicle back to get equipment.

Why not?
07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for that. Have a friend in WL that I can queue that up with.

Ted

pete_k
07-01-2013, 06:33 PM
great thread. very interesting to me. i've heard the crooked river, north of PG, is good. most people do it in a canoe.

Good moose country. Lots of easy access points and gentle flow.

Gr8 white hunter
07-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Sounds like fun it would be a great hunting trip good luck.

ratherbefishin
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM
I have a 19' grumman freighter canoe with a 8hp yamaha and a 10' zodiac[I like two boats when traveling in wilderness areas] Regs say you can hunt from a boat-WHEN the motor is off and up....and some lakes you can't hunt on the shore during some closed periods.Frankly,one of the advantages of hunting on the river is you aren't packing moose quarters...

Sasquatch
07-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm planning on doing some hunting from an inflatable this year. Doubt I will do any long floats on rivers, but will set up camp and hunt some lakes. I'm thinking it will be a nice relaxing way to get away from the roads without busting my tired old butt.

Your trip with your Dad sounds like it's going to be quite an adventure, looking forward to hearing more about it.

Jagermeister
07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
have a look at Quesnel Lake :cool:Yeah, have a look and that's all. A 14' boat on that lake can be a lifetime ending adventure should the wind decide to blow and it usually does. You could go up the Mitchel river a short distance, but access for your boat could be problematic.
You would be better off doing the Pine River.