PDA

View Full Version : cool video

Untouchable
12-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here, but Ive been watching the sight for a while now. I guess a little background info is in order. Im 21 and live in North Delta, not surrey:wink: . I have been hunting since I was about 10, but only ever for grouse and ground squirrels. Until last year when I went and got all my hunting certification. I hunted the last two seasons, and this year I got my first muley buck. I used to really be into fly fishing, but that all changed when I started hunting! I havent pumped up my float tube for a couple years now. Anyways, the reason I posted was because I saw a really amazing video on youtube.com . Not sure if you guys have seen it yet but it is definatly worth checking out. Not sure how to link things yet so just go to youtube and search :bear killed while charging hunter. It's amazing how fast things can happen in the wild!
Well it is great to be a part of your website finally! Hope you like the video.

Kirby
12-22-2006, 12:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc

Kirby

hunter1947
12-22-2006, 05:31 AM
I myself would not have shot at this bear when it was moving ,i would of tried calling to get its attention ,i also noticed he did not have a tripod on the gun to stabilize it ,one more thing he did wrong was he let up to quick buy not keeping the gun zeroed in on his target ,as for the sow ,things can happen quick when you can't see on the other-side. ,to-bad for the sow. hunter1947.

dawn2dusk
12-22-2006, 09:11 AM
too bad for the cub too :-(

and there underwear :frown:

Murder
12-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Whatever caliber that was, it sure turned her in a hurry. Sad to see, but I would have shot too. Maybe just in front of her as she started the charge, but at that range, I would have done the same. A bear don't take too long to cover 8 yards.

Will
12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
That Fella Knew his Business without question.......
An investigation cleared them of any wrongdoing as well.

Many would have began Blasting away much sooner then he did;)

bigwhiteys
12-22-2006, 10:16 AM
An investigation cleared them of any wrongdoing as well

They were cleared... That bear was pretty damn close when he finally pulled the trigger. Another 1 or 2 seconds was all they really had.

The cub looked large enough in the video to be almost a 2 year old... If that's the case the cub might have been okay.

Still sad to see though... Even though he saved a life I am sure the guy felt pretty shitty about killing the sow.

If I were charged I would do everything I could to NOT shoot the bear as it seems they also tried to in the little time they had.

You should pretty much have bite marks on your ass before you pull.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

300H&H
12-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Yup that was a intence video. But what made me sick was the comments below the video. Most people have no idea what it is like to hunt. So I can understand some of the feed back but most of it is PURE SCAT !!! Like my Dad always says "If you don't have something good to say...don't say anything at all".

Will
12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
...what made me sick was the comments below the video.
Yes it's exactly why I NO longer argue my Beliefs and lifestyle with Anti's....No use, they were Raised by DISNEY.

This was my Favourite comment.....

"I wonder what happened to the little cub that was left standing around wondering what to do after seeing both its parents getting shot and killed. Those hunters should have kept a better eye out to make sure that the bears family wasn't around."

How can you change this Person's mind.....:roll:

mapguy
12-22-2006, 11:06 AM
well a shot in front at the start of the charge might have turned it . But who
has time to even think to long in that situation . Your lucky to come away from it in one piece . You do what you gotta do . Don't think i would report it without the video . The co's cleared them of any wrongdoing???? how nice of them . What would of they have done without the video .

CanAm500
12-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I think everyone should be prepared to be in that situation. It is sad to see that a bear was killed for that matter.

Will
12-22-2006, 11:27 AM
The co's cleared them of any wrongdoing???? how nice of them . What would of they have done without the video .
ALL Bear Shootings without "Tags" are Investigated by the State in Alaska. It was Ruled a Defense of Life and or Property. (DLP)

FWIW.....my take on the Vid...

The Unseen Sow was most likely startled by the Gunshots that took the Old Boar...add to that the Boars "Death moans" etc. and that Sow was worked up into a Frenzy No doubt.
She Focused on the only Object she could see......and Charged.

The Fella did everything reasonable given the situation......
A shot fired in front would most likely have aggravated the SOW even more and also left you with a spent round in the chamber:redface: .......better hope the next one feeds if you even have time:|

A Bad situation but Resulted in Noone getting Killed or injured Thanks to the Guide.

Elkhound
12-22-2006, 11:42 AM

The Unseen Sow was most likely startled by the Gunshots that took the Old Boar...add to that the Boars "Death moans" etc. and that Sow was worked up into a Frenzy No doubt.

A shot fired in front would most likely have aggravated the SOW even more and also left you with a spent round in the chamber:redface: .......better hope the next one feeds if you even have time:|

A Bad situation but Resulted in Noone getting Killed or injured Thanks to the Guide.

Well I can't add anything to that statement. I agree 100%
And welcome to HBC Untouchable

Gateholio
12-22-2006, 11:47 AM
ALL Bear Shootings without "Tags" are Investigated by the State in Alaska. It was Ruled a Defense of Life and or Property. (DLP)

Agreed

The guide held his fire as long as he could, maybe even let the bear get too close to absolutely guarrantee his and his clients safety.

No foul there, I woudl have done exactly the same thing, excpet maybe started shooting a bit sooner.

I wouldn't use a warning shot. Maybe the client could have fired a warning shot, but with a bear bearing down on you (no pun intended) warning shots from the guides gun could: Waste a round that you need/Cause your gun to jam/Lose sight of the bear in the recoil, so you have to re- align and use up precious seconds.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I myself would not have shot at this bear when it was moving ,i would of tried calling to get its attention ,i also noticed he did not have a tripod on the gun to stabilize it

I agree about waiting for the bear to stop moving but you never want to give your position away to a grizz/brown bear before shooting at it. I had heard this but forgot in the moment of truth. Put it this way, I'll never forget that again:eek: ......It will lock on to your postion and even a bear dead on it's feet can travel a long ways in just a few seconds.
While a bipod is great for the intial shot, it will prevent you from moving your rifle with the bear for a follow up shot. You'll be locked in the wrong position. Been-there-done-that:oops: .

SSS

Ride
12-22-2006, 12:50 PM
I am sure we would all have done the same thing that the guide did, if we were in his position, maybe even a little sooner. I am just curious as to why the guy to the right of the camera didn't try putting a round in the ground in front of her. You can see the gun barrel on the right of the picture pointed at the bear, just before the guide shoots. It probably would have not done anything, but may have slowed her down.

Will
12-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I am just curious as to why the guy to the right of the camera didn't try putting a round in the ground in front of her. You can see the gun barrel on the right of the picture pointed at the bear, just before the guide shoots.
The Guy was a Client........may have had alot of Experience Hunting Bears, but may not have either;)

Most Guides IMO don't really want thier Clients Shooting under these kinda circumstances...they do get ALL kinds of Folks that don't Hunt DG everyday of the season, many are on a once in a lifetime Hunt for a Coastal Brownie and do you really want Everyone Blasting away ?

IMO the "Guy" did the right thing...Let the Guide decide the Outcome but as Pointed out He was "ready" to fire if needed, good call on his part.

I'd most likely be too Busy Soiling myself......:|

That's Why the Guides make the Big Bucks:lol:

Rainwater
12-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Shoot it, eat it!

livingston
12-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Not a tough call, with a bear moving that quickly straight at you it would be hard to wait as long as he did.

The sow could have been agitated by the boar.Male bears do kill cubs to bring females into heat.I remember watching one of those wildlife shows on the subject, yet somebody made the comment about the cub watching his mom and dad getting shot give me a break.

Ajsawden
12-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Yup that was a intence video. But what made me sick was the comments below the video. Most people have no idea what it is like to hunt. So I can understand some of the feed back but most of it is PURE SCAT !!! Like my Dad always says "If you don't have something good to say...don't say anything at all".

I totally agree with this... It is sad to see people bent outta shape over a video of human survival. They're not even curtious about it. They have to get hostile towards hunters.

Will
12-22-2006, 08:03 PM
I totally agree with this... It is sad to see people bent outta shape over a video of human survival. They're not even curtious about it. They have to get hostile towards hunters.
Same kinda Morons that were shocked when Treadwell and his GF were Eaten......:|

Nails
12-23-2006, 02:27 AM
that was a tuff day for those guys, unfortunate the sow was taken but no question it had to be done

elkguide
12-24-2006, 12:26 PM
wow that was some of the besst video I've ever seen ...... made the hair on the back of my neck stand sraight up... wow.

johnes50
12-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Here's another grizzly attack.:grin: John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQv1HvIB7w

CHilko21
12-24-2006, 01:50 PM
I agree with how the guys acted, and that the comments about the movie were total BS. It's funny how city folk who have nothing to do with animals or the bush, and consider a walk in a city park a grand aventure ( Oh My GOD look it's a SQUIRREL!!! Quick, get the camera!!!:eek: ), can right away jump on hunters and anglers cause we're all evil *******s who should be shot ourselves. Not even anti hunters in particular.....the idiots who protest rodeos and stock yards and what have you, they usually don't know a damn thing about what they're talking about, they're just talking out of their a........yeah. The cub looked like he was getting near to having mama chase him off anyways, it's still unfortunate that they had to take the sow, but they held off a good long time before they fired.