PDA

View Full Version : Icebreaker fans, what is your favorite sheep hunting combo?

Andrewh
03-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I am needing to pick up some more base layers for this next season and was wondering what you guys are finding works well. I tried some stuff on at the local Icebreaker store and a lot of last years stuff is on sale.

I am thinking:
- 150 weight bodyfit longsleeve 1/4 zip
- 260 weight real fleece merino jacket?

Is the stuff as good as people claim or is it hyped up quite a bit?

pnbrock
03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
what store I'm all ears???

Andrewh
03-06-2013, 06:24 PM
what store I'm all ears???

It's called......Icebreaker - pure Merino

located on 4th, basically everything from last year is 30% off.

MB_Boy
03-06-2013, 06:40 PM
I am needing to pick up some more base layers for this next season and was wondering what you guys are finding works well. I tried some stuff on at the local Icebreaker store and a lot of last years stuff is on sale.

I am thinking:
- 150 weight bodyfit longsleeve 1/4 zip
- 260 weight real fleece merino jacket?

Is the stuff as good as people claim or is it hyped up quite a bit?

I bought some stuff before last winter.....I think it's great compared to some of the synthetic stuff I have used.

good to know about the sale as it's 2 minutes from my house and I'll be popping in.

RiverOtter
03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I've got some 150 and 180 weight IB stuff. For anything where temps are warmer, the 150 is the way to go. It ain't cheap, but I must admit it does work as advertised, and I was amazed at the lack of stink and quick drying. Absolutely no "itch" either....

There's a store thats name starts with a big letter "C" that had long sleeve Merrino shirts on for $20 last fall. I bought 3 and found them to be very close to IB in both quality and effectiveness. I will rat hole a few more if they get them back again this fall.

lorneparker1
03-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Most quality merino is created equal. I own KUIU, IB, and First light. and honesly i like them all the same. Once thing that is amazing is merino boxers. Merino boxers and gold bond, and you can hike up the biggest mountain in the sahara desert in the middle of the summer and get zero chaffe

BlacktailStalker
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
Try the icebreaker socks and merino boxers for sure, real good stuff. I use the 150 weight long johns when its the wind that will make you cold and the 260's when the temps drop. Same as for tops.

Mathil
03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
I have the 260 long johns and the crew neck longsleeve. Use them at work (I don't heat my shop) and they keep me toasty all winter.

Can't wait to use them hunting next season.

longstonec
03-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I have never used IB, but smart wool has been great. I prefer more lighter layers then one heavier one when I am moving around and heavier when sitting around camp or sleeping.

03-07-2013, 12:20 AM
I bought the bodyfit longsleeve crew and bottoms in 200 and the 260 1/4 zip, the quality is top notch and fit is awesome but have not had a chance to really test it out yet. I bought the kuiu stuff for tops but found the fit in the shoulder/chest area fit tight and awkward and not really made for guys who workout, I would also say that the Icbreaker is a better quality product in my opinion. Icbreaker has a color called cargo that is a dark olive/ranger green that looks great, I am really happy with the color.

Andrewh
03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
picked up the 150 bodyfit LS crew for $50 off amazon last night and I will most likely go for either the 260 1/4 zip or Kuiu Marino 1/4 zip.

MB_Boy
03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
picked up the 150 bodyfit LS crew for $50 off amazon last night and I will most likely go for either the 260 1/4 zip or Kuiu Marino 1/4 zip.

I have the 260 bottoms which I have found great in all sorts of temperatures.....and 200 tops. I find when you drop below zero very far the 200 sometimes isn't quite enough as the layer next to your skin; almost like it is breathing a bit too well and I will be getting some 260 tops as well. If I am skiing and it's going below -5 I don't wear my 200 anymore.

Superdeuce
03-08-2013, 11:09 PM
200 bottoms, 150 longsleeve crew top with a 260 longsleeve zip top layer when needed. Not all merino is created equal.... lower micron is finer with less itch.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-08-2013, 11:41 PM
i have a 150 and a 200 . i find the 200 is warm in early season , but great in late cooler windy conditions .. The 150 is nice when its early season .

Weatherby Fan
03-09-2013, 01:44 AM
Does anyone know if they make a union suit or 1 piece long johns in merino wool ?

Caribou_lou
03-09-2013, 06:44 AM
They are hyped up a bit. They claim no stink... But I make then stink big time after one hard day of hunting. On the other hand it was great for washing in a creek because it would dry super fast!

bigwhiteys
03-09-2013, 08:13 AM
They are hyped up a bit. They claim no stink... But I make then stink big time after one hard day of hunting. On the other hand it was great for washing in a creek because it would dry super fast!

Yeah, the no-stink is a myth... it can't keep up with my stench on a multi-day hunt. Merino is also not as warm as synthetics IMHO. I have Icebreaker, First Lite, Sitka, Columbia, True North and some others, all different weights from 150 to 320. Item for Item I've found my synthetic counterparts to be much warmer (and lighter when layered). I still like Merino as a base layer, but for layering to keep warm on a sheep hunt, you're going to need to pack a lot of it. I now take just merino base layers and the rest of my clothing is synthetic.

Rubberfist
03-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah, the no-stink is a myth... it can't keep up with my stench on a multi-day hunt. Merino is also not as warm as synthetics IMHO. I have Icebreaker, First Lite, Sitka, Columbia, True North and some others, all different weights from 150 to 320. Item for Item I've found my synthetic counterparts to be much warmer (and lighter when layered). I still like Merino as a base layer, but for layering to keep warm on a sheep hunt, you're going to need to pack a lot of it. I now take just merino base layers and the rest of my clothing is synthetic.

Hmm, I haven't tried First Lite, but I've used Smartwool extensively. I have t-shirts and 3/4-zip longsleeves that I wear in hunting season and for running. I've worn a t-shirt and/or longsleeve for several weeks (3 to 4 long runs per week) without washing (and I sweat a lot) and they pass the sniff-test with the wife. Same on the backpack hunts, where I go with the Smartwool undies, longjohns, t-shirt and longsleeve. Even after more than a week, I don't feel that urge to burn my underwear - although I will say that rinsing off in a creek at night is key...no matter how f*cking cold it is.

There is merit to the odor reduction qualities of merino as my exterior running shell (wind/water proof Goretex) or hunting jacket (Sitka or Kuiu) will STANK after a while, but not the Smartwool. Same with the Smartwool PhD socks...I'll wear them for days at a time with no odor. I suppose everyone's body is different though.

RiverOtter
03-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Eventually, everything stinks, but what I've noticed with the merrino is, it doesn't seem to have a memory.
I can take my polypro out of the washer and dry it, and once my by body heats it up I can smell the start of stink. I don't get that with the merrino stuff. Borax in the wash does help I've found, and is not harsh on fabrics like bleach etc...

Buck
03-09-2013, 02:16 PM
150 merino then Patagonia R1 pullover a very good combo for wicking sweat and staying warm.I find merino too heavy past 150 and the heavy merino like 260 holds a lot of water and takes time to dry.The patagonia R1 http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-regulator-r1-fleece-pullover?p=40107-0-984 up through R4 really keeps you dry and warm.It is made from Polartec.

Tarp Man
03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Over the past year, I have changed nearly my entire athletic wardrobe from polypro to wool. It started with a LS bodyfit t-shirt 260 weight. That is my go to for winter wear. Now I have a couple 150 weight t-shirts for hot weather, a 200 weight LS t-shirt for most shoulder season stuff or high exertion winter stuff, and 260 weight longjohns. I actually wear a bodyfit poly/merino blend underneath the longjohns for really cold winter stuff (predator hunting unless snowshoeing a lot). When the True North stuff showed up at Costco, I tried them out and like the fit (a bit looser) for a good overlayer that doesn't bunch as much as tighter fitting stuff. For their price, I don't expect the Costco stuff to hold up like the Icebreaker, and with Icebreaker 4x the cost, it shouldn't. Now it seems like I need to try out the boxers... still kinda wierd to get advice on boxers from a bunch of guys on a hunting site!

Superdeuce
03-09-2013, 08:14 PM
I have the 260, but have to agree with Buck, hard to beat the warmth to weight ratio of fleece as a second layer.. there are cheaper polartec powerdry options to the Patagonia grid/waffle fleece though. MEC and Cabelas carry versions that I know of.

mattmcgiver
03-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I have 2 150 long sleeves and a T. Love it!