PDA

View Full Version : Naming your boat.

Sofa King
03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
so, is there a thing where a name should stay with a boat?
if you bought a used boat, would you keep it's name it was given on it?
or rename it?

just wondering your opinions.
and if there's a bad-luck myth to it, like how it's a no-no to eat a banana on a boat.

Ozone
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
If it was just a numbered boat, you can change it daily. A registered vessel takes a bit more work and money.

Dannybuoy
03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Luck is what you make it ! .. I renamed mine when I bought it . And I believe Ozone is correct about registered vessel's that has to done thru the proper channels

Mr. Dean
03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Renaming a boat is BAD ju-ju.

That's IF you believe in that kind of stuff.... :wink:

Sofa King
03-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Renaming a boat is BAD ju-ju.

That's IF you believe in that kind of stuff.... :wink:

i'm not supersticious in any way.
but, supersticions are as much a part of boating as boating is.
and anything to not possibly curse a fishing day is a good thing.
it's name stays.

Sofa King
03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
If it was just a numbered boat, you can change it daily. A registered vessel takes a bit more work and money.

oops.
i was meaning actually giving it a nickname, i should have worded that better.
like nick adonadis' "persephone".

ruger#1
03-05-2013, 04:19 PM
oops.
i was meaning actually giving it a nickname, i should have worded that better.
like nick adonadis' "persephone". Floating Turd, That sounds good. LOL

MB_Boy
03-05-2013, 04:31 PM
i'm not supersticious in any way.
but, supersticions are as much a part of boating as boating is.
and anything to not possibly curse a fishing day is a good thing.
it's name stays.

Just make sure you use a spell-check before getting a graphic done up. :tongue: :tongue:

Sofa King
03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Just make sure you use a spell-check before getting a graphic done up. :tongue: :tongue:

but maybe someone already spelled their's that way.
gotta be original.:tongue:

newhunterette
03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
first boat had no name - it was named "Alison's Nightmare" good reason was a death trap and was out to get me everytime I was on it.......quickly sold it and moved on lol our new to us but used boat came with no name just numbers so once again given name "Dare II Dream" named because Peter dreamed for a jet boat and eventually he got a jet boat..he dared to dream.....

what is the banana thing about.... never heard that one
I do know your not supposed to open a bag of potato chips upside down though as that is a bad omen and jinx.................

358mag
03-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Just name it "NDP" because its floating high now but when it sinks it wont be a complete surprise ............

GoatGuy
03-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Just name it "NDP" because its floating high now but when it sinks it wont be a complete surprise ............

Hahaha, call it the Fast Cat

Cost twice as much as you expected, delivered three years late, burned more fuel, broke down all the time and sold at 4 cents on the dollar a couple years later.

SUAFOYT
03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Hahaha, call it the Fast Cat

Cost twice as much as you expected, delivered three years late, burned more fuel, broke down all the time and sold at 4 cents on the dollar a couple years later.

Or it could be called the Big Pillow. Full of hot air, and you'll get a bill 5 times the original estimate. Or how about the HMCS Honey Boo Boo. Bigger up front every day but not much goin' on in the wheelhouse.

Sofa King
03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
first boat had no name - it was named "Alison's Nightmare" good reason was a death trap and was out to get me everytime I was on it.......quickly sold it and moved on lol our new to us but used boat came with no name just numbers so once again given name "Dare II Dream" named because Peter dreamed for a jet boat and eventually he got a jet boat..he dared to dream.....

what is the banana thing about.... never heard that one
I do know your not supposed to open a bag of potato chips upside down though as that is a bad omen and jinx.................

the banana one is that it's bad luck to eat a banana on a boat.
because of the banana peel and slipping and falling off the boat.
it doesn't apply to most boats nowadays, but it's one that i've heard.

Shooter
03-05-2013, 05:52 PM
You are never supposed to open a can upside down on a boat either. Every time you do a boat sinks.... One of the deckhands on a boat I worked on as a kid used to open them upside down all the time and catch royal shit from the skipper everytime. So his solution was to go through all the cans and remove the labels....lol Never knew if you were gonna have peas with dinner or peaches...lol

adriaticum
03-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Please just don't give it a human name!

SUAFOYT
03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm more interested in the naming tradition. I have the name decal all ready to go for mine, but any of the stuff that I find on the net gets into the champagne thing. I'm all over something that involves copious amounts of grog. Is it OK to do the naming on land, or does it have to be done in the water?

Kudu
03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Yea - we got pisssed on our favourite rum and promptly named it "The Captains Organ"......!!!

fishingguy44
03-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Name it what you want. Mine is the "Drag n' Fly" cause were either trolling or casting...

Ozone
03-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Is it OK to do the naming on land, or does it have to be done in the water?

For the superstitious, on land is prefered.

Onesock
03-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Bananas are definetly bad luck on a boat. Don't try and find out why, just never take them on the boat. BRRRR

GoatGuy
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Another good one I saw: Prime + 3%

russm
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I've always thought "the wet dream" would make a good boat name lol

BCBRAD
03-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Daz Boobs......

Shooter
03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
for the superstitious it is definitely considered bad luck to re-name a boat.

Gateholio
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpQej3o9eo

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Salty whore

280 77
03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I named mine "THE DIRTY OAR".

Glenny
03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
The Minnow

newhunterette
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
the banana one is that it's bad luck to eat a banana on a boat.
because of the banana peel and slipping and falling off the boat.
it doesn't apply to most boats nowadays, but it's one that i've heard.

oh I thought that was the bride who stepped on the banana peel and went for a ride lol.............dang it I ate a banana on my friend's boat last week, maybe why I never got a sturgeon lol

Fred1
03-05-2013, 09:23 PM
The Captains Organ!! Thats awesome!!!

The banana thing....
In the older days (some of you may be of this vintage) the heavily laden banana boats would travel the sea heading to the big smoke to sell their glorious bounty. Some towns and markets were located up rivers. Upon entering fresh water these heavy boats would sink... due to the less bouyant fresh water and being heavily loaded at a sea port. Sooooo not being totally sure why these heavy laden banana boats sank, it became percieved as bad ju-ju to bring a banana abord one's ship. Take that university!!!

So question: If beer floats can too much beer on board sink your boat?

wos
03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
My boat is called caught with my fly down and my dads is the foul hooker. A boat deserves a name that will make people smile.

Fred1
03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Ok Foul Hooker is great too!!

newhunterette
03-05-2013, 10:15 PM
The Captains Organ!! Thats awesome!!!

The banana thing....
In the older days (some of you may be of this vintage) the heavily laden banana boats would travel the sea heading to the big smoke to sell their glorious bounty. Some towns and markets were located up rivers. Upon entering fresh water these heavy boats would sink... due to the less bouyant fresh water and being heavily loaded at a sea port. Sooooo not being totally sure why these heavy laden banana boats sank, it became percieved as bad ju-ju to bring a banana abord one's ship. Take that university!!!

So question: If beer floats can too much beer on board sink your boat?

thank you, I learned something new today......

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
It goes beyond bananas, any citrus whatsoever is considered bad luck.

Steelwheels
03-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Dad named one of his boats..."Y4U2" ... He was a solo fisherman!!

Marlin375
03-06-2013, 12:30 AM
It can be done correctly......http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Don't mess with Poseidon or his buddy Neptune.

The Silent Stalker
03-06-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't know squat about naming rules for boats, but this good. My ex in laws have a place on Pender Island and one day I saw a nice newer boat in the docks with the name "FYFAS". So I asked the guy, what's the deal? He said he spent a fortune renovating his house for his wife. 6 months of hell, a few days after it was all done they were eating breakfast and she says she has decided she wants all new appliances now. He said he got up, went to Victoria and bought his dream boat. Came home and she asked what the name was all about. He said "**** Your Fridge And Stove!

blindguy
03-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Speaking of boat names lol

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/secondpaige/DSC00678.jpg

my understanding is it is bad luck to rename a boat but i have renamed a few without bad luck .

Foxtail
03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Our boat is dubbed "The Rusty Hooker" my buddies first jet boat is "Shit Mule"

Foxton Gundogs
03-06-2013, 12:15 PM
A friend of mine named his Double Eagle(he bought with all the $ he had left after an extreamly bitter divorce) after his X wife, he called it the "SEA WARD" don't dwell on reading it just say it a few times to yourself:roll:

vip_ruger
03-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Puddle jumper is my boats name

Whopperman
03-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I always thought 'SUCK MY WAKE' was a great name.. John Candy was a comedic genius..

For those having trouble look up the old movie 'The Great Outdoors'

Sofa King
03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Speaking of boat names lol

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss90/secondpaige/DSC00678.jpg

my understanding is it is bad luck to rename a boat but i have renamed a few without bad luck .

that's awesome.
i first learned about that many years ago when i went fishing with a friend on his boat.
i packed a lunch, and part way through the day i pulled out a banana to eat.
he looked at me funny and explained the story.

itsy bitsy xj
03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Forest Gump renamed all his boats to "Jenny", "JennyII", "JennyIII" and so on. He had nothing but good luck with them

BCsniper
03-06-2013, 03:16 PM
My canoe is the "The Polish Penetrator" we stick it in places that we shouldn't, we don't care about damage that happens to it until it is too late, and we have had 3 guys enjoy it at one time.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
~ Insolent Minx ~