PDA

View Full Version : arrow blew apart

pnbrock
03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
was flicking a few arrows today when i heard a strange sound and no arrow to be seen.looked around the archery block and found arrow ten feet beyond target.the end was splintered and only the fletching kept the end of arrow attached.knock was ten feet from where shot was released,arrow traveled twenty more yards.what the hell happened?

keoke
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Sounds like your lucky you didn't get a handful of carbon splinters. There might of been some damage from smacking arrows together? Glad your okay.

TheProvider
03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Arrow probably split behind the insert. I noticed one of my arrows a couple weeks ago that had a small split right behind the insert. The insert had actually started to press into the the arrow causing the split to get bigger. Another shot or two and it would've blown apart probably. I like to inspect my arrows atleast everytime I shoot. A quick check for and cracks/splits or anything out of the unusual.

igojuone
03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Do you flex your arrows before using? Buddy of mine same thing happened but not so lucky, bare forearm took a pile of carbon fibre splinters that needed hospital care to remove. I've had an arrow snap like a dry thin pretzel.

igojuone
03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Carbon fibre gets that way, if you have had a tent with shock cords you probably had them split, they never last forever.

Phreddy
03-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Think I'll stick with aluminum arrows. Been hearing of too many incidents like this.