PDA

View Full Version : Need input for wall tent stove.

Paulyman
03-04-2013, 04:20 PM
My current stove is a G.W sheet metal stove like the one in the pic and really isn't that great for heat control and the burn time isn't that great either. I'm usually up once or twice during the night depending on what kind of wood I burn.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1941.jpg (javascript:;)

I'd like to either build or buy a stove that I can load up with wood and really slow down the burn rate so it will last the night, can anyone recomend one I can either buy or build that will let me have a full nights rest without having to reload?

Any other design considerations I should think about?

Paul

rred
03-04-2013, 04:41 PM
What size wall tent?

Geo.338
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
There are some really good stoves available out there . They are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for . It is tough to get a stove that will last all night and it does depend on the type of wood you are burning . In my experience you need a stove that can handle fairly large wood , like 20 inch long . Also large blocks last longer . The other thing is you need a good damper on the stove and the door must have a good seal . Also a damper on the pipe to keep heat in longer and help slow the burn down a bit .

We have used the type you have pictured and also one I built and and we also have one from canadian tire . It is a challenge to get an all night burn .

At best we hope that there will be a good coal bed in when we wake to get the tent warmed up fairly quick .

Paulyman
03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
14'x 16' canvas type with 5' walls
What size wall tent?

rred
03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I would recommend something similar in size to the Wilderness 4 or larger, http://www.canvastentshop.ca/woodcampstoves.html
I have a stove similar to the Wilderness 5 for my 16x20 and it works really well. I also have a smaller yukon cylinder stove that we used to use and I definitely like the rectangle shaped stoves better.

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Yeah stoves are tough when it comes to keeping a wall tent warm !
I have a kettle river stove and it is supposed to be one of the best but I find it is too small and I can not get an all night burn, I am lucky to get a half nights burn :neutral:

frenchbar
03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Yeah stoves are tough when it comes to keeping a wall tent warm !
I have a kettle river stove and it is supposed to be one of the best but I find it is too small and I can not get an all night burn, I am lucky to get a half nights burn :neutral: i met ron i believe his name is that builds the kettle river stoves last summer in the caribou ..hell of a nice guy ..he showed me his stove .pretty nice job he does ..is he still making them? the size of them a half nights burn is about right ..ive got a kni-co alaskan and at -15 in my tee pee tent only got about 3 hrs burn ..before having to grt up and reload .

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Dave Lorney builds em. He loves his fly fishing ! Very nice yup. I'm not sure if he does. His workmanship is A-1 I just wish it was a bit bigger. He has one that he said gets an all night burn on old growth fir, mine just doesn't want to stay lit when dampered down more than 1/2 way for some reason and that is even with setting it on a slight downward angle (at the front) to help with the air flow.
If his ad is still in the regs I would think he still does (only place he advertises) I think he does (or did) around 15 per year and that is it.

frenchbar
03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
thats him ..fly fishing nut ..he said he was having troubles with his hands so he was taking a break from it ..hope to bump into him again ..great guy to bs . he had his old ford set up pretty sweet 2

frenchbar
03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
find a good 45 steel 45 gallon drum and buy the kits for it ..may work good ..maybe some one on here has one like it and could share how they work and how lond a burn you get .

stroh72
03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae30/stroh72/Moose2012051.jpg

This unit from Western Wall Tents out of Montana delivered to Ship Happpens in Sumas was $500. 3 gallon SS water bladder, detachable, extended top platform and removeable legs. 2 elbows, legs, shelf and bladder nest inside for travel. 16x 20 wall tent you can get it pretty hot in there pretty quick. Depending on what you burn you usually only reload once during the night. The money spent on this unit was some of the best yet.

Wood butcher
03-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a cylinder outfitters stove. It's pretty long. All the pipe and the 2 elbows fit inside with the legs and warming tray. As long as the wood is dry I get all night burns. It wasn't cheap but I don't weld so I just bought it. I am certainly happy with it.
I met Dave this past spring in the Cariboo, he and his 2 friends spend a month up there every year. Neat guy, he really had his tent and stove dialled in.

frenchbar
03-04-2013, 07:45 PM
I have a cylinder outfitters stove. It's pretty long. All the pipe and the 2 elbows fit inside with the legs and warming tray. As long as the wood is dry I get all night burns. It wasn't cheap but I don't weld so I just bought it. I am certainly happy with it.
I met Dave this past spring in the Cariboo, he and his 2 friends spend a month up there every year. Neat guy, he really had his tent and stove dialled in.

he also used stainless steel pipe ..said it was the only way 2 go

Wood butcher
03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
he also used stainless steel pipe ..said it was the only way 2 go

I'm to cheap for that but that is what he said. He also convinced me that I should be running the pipe straight up through the roof. No more elbows or trying to get the stove to just the right height so the pipes all have positive slope. He even had a neat little rig clamped to his stove pipe that put a crown in the roof so that water wouldn't run in the roof jack.

Ambush
03-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I just started the process of building a small wood stove from discarded propane cylinders. Most of the metal working can be done with "zip" blades on a small cheap grinder. I have shop facilities, but almost anybody can do the bulk of the work themselves and then find someone with a light duty welder, in their garage, that works cheap.
I'll post build pics when I get a bit farther along.

Iltasyuko
03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
A hot water tank is a good start if you plan to build your own.

The Mule
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Hi- for those of you with nesting stove pipes, can you give me an idea of where you got the elbows for these units? I have a cylinders stoves unit, heats up a 12x14 wall tent no problem. Just trying to figure out the best elbow setup that will fit the nesting pipes and also keep creosote out of the tent.Thanks!

lip_ripper00
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Last one I made, was an old expantion tank all the pipes and hardware fit inside. The stainless plate on top was dropped down to rest on top of the stove

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0634.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0633.JPG

rred
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Last one I made, was an old expantion tank all the pipes and hardware fit inside. The stainless plate on top was dropped down to rest on top of the stove

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0634.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0633.JPG

Do you take a Hiab hunting???
But in all seriousness, i bet you stay warm.

trebreklaw
03-07-2013, 09:15 PM
I just got the perfect tent stove built last year. Its an oval tin air tight but I added an Ashley bi-metal air control.
It self regulates the air intake and lasts about 8hrs

Paulyman
03-08-2013, 12:16 AM
I just got the perfect tent stove built last year. Its an oval tin air tight but I added an Ashley bi-metal air control.
It self regulates the air intake and lasts about 8hrswhere would I find a bi metal Ashley air control?

ratherbefishin
03-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Someone posted a link to a home made gear website featuring a stove made from a 45 gal drum with a clamp on lid-they only used the bottom 2/3 ,reattached the top and the top 1/3 was used to make a door that was fastened with hinges on the side[the drum sat upright].The stovepipe went through a hole cut in the top.No welding, Cost virtually nothing and held enough wood to hold a fire all night long.The top was the cook surface.

lip_ripper00
03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
http://www.amazon.ca/Vogelzang-Barrel-Stove-Model-Bk100E/dp/B0018JBFS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362853736&sr=8-1

Paulyman
03-10-2013, 03:03 PM
That's awesome, the only question is would it burn way to hot because of the container size? if i turned it way down would it just end up burning out?
http://www.amazon.ca/Vogelzang-Barrel-Stove-Model-Bk100E/dp/B0018JBFS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362853736&sr=8-1

ruger#1
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
That's awesome, the only question is would it burn way to hot because of the container size? if i turned it way down would it just end up burning out?Just put three to four inches of sand on the bottom inside A couple of bags of #2 grit works good.. It should be okay. I would like to see the legs a bit longer.

Sundance1972
03-10-2013, 08:07 PM
I have built a few stoves over the years, from lightweight tin to 3/16 plate, and the best thing I've found for overnight are those "presto logs". When dampened properly, those things will burn like coal and easily last until morning. Every stove I built, or modified, has had dual dampers (one in the stove, and another in the pipe about halfway to the ceiling) and worked quite well.
I think the best one I ever built (but weighed about 80 pounds), was a dual cylinder style with a water tank and warming tray. Was a lot smaller than this pic I found on the net, but you get the basic idea. Amazing how much heat that thing put out for the size, picture two 30lb propane tanks instead of the 45gal drums.
http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/80/69/19/806919615_160.jpg

trebreklaw
03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Hey Paulyman: Sorry i missed your question about aquiring an ashley bi-metal air control.

I got mine off an old Ashley being discarded. There are a lot of old Sears and Ashleys being replaced with EPA stoves these days.

If you want to do one PM e and i will tell you how I mounted it.

T

MikeB
03-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Anyone try a Four Dog Stove?

pole dancer
03-16-2013, 12:33 PM
the one pictured works great, on our third one in 25+ years, a damper on the stack is a must and yes its the quality of the wood for an all knighter, or at least coals for a restart

aggiehunter
03-17-2013, 10:09 AM
that's a tuff question when we don't know when your hunting...most of us who hunt late season (-20) have never looked back going to airtight wood stoves used in houses..a small Fisher or similar one can be bought for a couple hundred bucks. However they are heavy...I had steel 6 inch wheels welded on mine with two steering wheels and can wheel it in and out of my cargo trailer by myself....burn time is excellant...and with a heat activated fan on the top we never get cold....a portable one is used in the early season just get the chill off or dry clothes.