PDA

View Full Version : Hunting from a jet boat ?

killalot
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Good afternoon Sharp shooters !

I'm just curious as to what everyone else is doing who owns a boat or who hunts with the aid of a boat in regards to how the trip costs are devided up .Who decides who pays for what ? boating can be an economical way to hunt game & more importantly a way to transport hunters & thier gear)I 'm curious to know what has worked in the past for other hunting parties in the past. Even if you don't own a boat what would be fair compension for the person who does? In regards to help covering the costs of the trip.

With expenses of boat insurance
fuel cost
transportantion costs
food costs
maintenance of the equiptment

Thank you for your input

Kill A Lot

Ramshot
03-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Guess everyone's got their own ways of thinking on this. I take my Dodge diesel and my 18ft Wolfmade with 175 sport-jet and my partners covered the fuel and groceries. Was more than fair to me, because regardless, I was going up Tuchodi with partners or not! I would make two trips a year to Tuchodi, one in August for sheep and back in Septemeber for elk. How bad you want to go there I guess. Maintenance wise it's my jet-boat so I cover all cost there. I did all the service work and always had all the spare filters, plugs, water seperators etc in the jet-boat. Insurance is my responsibility, my jet-boat. Went with a buddy and he used his diesel truck and fuel and I providede my jet-boat and covered the fuel. Have been going to Muskwa/Tuchodi since 1997 so have seen a lot of different cost sharing scenario's. Go with good buddies the costs always get spilt up fairly. Guess it comes down to what you feel is fair? Ramshot

Fred1
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
I would have and dont have any problem with paying the fuel and some of other costs if a buddy brings HIS boat. I have been lucky and most of the time the costs are just split up evenly. For those of us who do not have cool boats.... Think of it as being very lucky that a buddy has undertaken the cost and investment in buying a boat in the first place, and will take you hunting. Appreciated it and buck up!!!

Apolonius
03-04-2013, 05:26 PM
The guy supplies the boat the rest split the cost.If every one pays the non owners should pay for Maintenance and cost of having a boat.Wish i had a friend with a jet boat.

tuchodi
03-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I own a jet boat and everyone that comes with me splits the cost of fuel, food etc equal. I am lucky so far as no major extra expenses on the boat or trailer just regular maintenance which I look after. I have been going up the Muskwa Tuchodi with my boat since 1976 and I enjoy bringing my friends with. Always a great trip.

604redneck
03-04-2013, 06:03 PM
If someone wants to be cheap and complains about paying for fuel after u agree to take them in your boat that you pay for maintenace on tell them to pound sand and leave them on the side of the road cause they clearly arent a real friend

Fred1
03-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Looking for buddy with jet boat:

I have a steady job that pays well.
Can shoot.
Good on the knife.
Loves to pack.
Will bring refreshments.... :)

pete_k
03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Are you the guy with the Woolridge?

Fred1
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Im Batman.....

killalot
03-04-2013, 08:07 PM
...sweet.....

ryanb
03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Insurance and maintenance are your responsibility as the boat owner. I don't expect people I take to pay those for me. It's perfectly fair to split up all costs of the trip itself. Even share for everyone on the trip is good, if your partners want to pick up the fuel bill for you in exchange for providing the boat, all the better...but I never would expect that.

BCRiverBoater
03-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Sounds like I should be looking for hunting partners from this site. I would love it if I had my fuel, groceries and/or refreshments paid for. Wow that would be sweet. I usually end up splitting the fuel, groceries, and camp supplies with buddies. I cover my own refreshments, snacks and all boat related costs. Of course no one thinks of the rebuilt impeller ($250), oil ($160) and other misc costs I eat every year. Usually use my truck as well so there can be costs there.

Maybe I should just look for someone on here...they could even pack my animals...lol

allan
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Sounds like I should be looking for hunting partners from this site. I would love it if I had my fuel, groceries and/or refreshments paid for. Wow that would be sweet. I usually end up splitting the fuel, groceries, and camp supplies with buddies. I cover my own refreshments, snacks and all boat related costs. Of course no one thinks of the rebuilt impeller ($250), oil ($160) and other misc costs I eat every year. Usually use my truck as well so there can be costs there.

Maybe I should just look for someone on here...they could even pack my animals...lol
Even when my buddy takes his rv, and we're camping. I pay all fuel for his truck, and bring enough food for him as well. Way cheaper for me to use his truck and trailer then to take mine.
I have a ski boat and my friends that help with extra fuel, and treat my boat and gear with respect always are the first to be called when I'm going to the lake.
Those that leave garbage in my boat, or track in dirt on my carpet are never called to go wake surfing again!
That's they way it should be.

Mr. Dean
03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Owning a boat isn't a cheap endeavor and people who never have, don't truly appreciate the dedication that it takes (read; cost) - The price tag is but only a small part of ownership.

If someone whined about feeding it the juice come days end, they wouldn't be back hali/salmon fishing with me ever again.
So I don't see why their would be an exception when used for hunting.

jhausner
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Good afternoon Sharp shooters !

I'm just curious as to what everyone else is doing who owns a boat or who hunts with the aid of a boat in regards to how the trip costs are devided up .Who decides who pays for what ? boating can be an economical way to hunt game & more importantly a way to transport hunters & thier gear)I 'm curious to know what has worked in the past for other hunting parties in the past. Even if you don't own a boat what would be fair compension for the person who does? In regards to help covering the costs of the trip.

I think the following goes for not just boats but ATVs and any equipment owned by 1 person but shared:

•With expenses of boat insurance

My friends and I typically hunt with boats on the river with 9.9 HP motors so no need for the registration. If it needed to be insured though, we'd split the cost if it was just insured for the time we ran it. If he is paying for insurance already on his boat/ATV/whatever then that's the cost of ownership. Same reason you don't pay for the insurance on your buddy's pickup you take up. But if it was specifically for a set trip and the insurance was just for that, then sure we're typically good about sharing the cost.

•fuel cost

Split for the boat fuel specifically.

•transportantion costs

If you're taking 1 vehicle pulling the baot with everyone in it, split gas costs. We typically have a few pickups heading up, 1 with the boat and some gear, the other full with other gear like the wall tent and such. The guys in each truck simply split the costs for those vehicles. AKA if it is me and my buddy in my truck, I pay all the gas up to the destination, he pays for all the gas back. The other guys in their pickup pay their cost. If it is a very large boat and the other vehicle takes less gas, then you have to guestimate the costs. This is just how it works for us as we always have other things we're pulling with the other trucks aka ATVs or trailers or just more gear so the gas usage evens out a bit.

•food costs

Split costs. Basically. For food it depends on how many people are going. If it is a lot like 8 to 10 people, I typically just get a cash pool from everyone so tell them to give me $50 each for food or $100 each for food which goes into a pool. Me or someone else then goes and does all the shopping using the pooled money. At the end whatever is left over gets evenly divied up.

That way I'm not pulling out of my pocket and it makes splitting easier. If it is just a few of us going like 3 or 4 total, then me or someone else just pays out of pocket and we split it later on. Typically 1 person does all the shopping for food and pays and another does all the gas tanks and pays for that. We then just keep receipts and write our costs down in a notebook and at the end figure out how much everyone paid and owes or is owed. It's easier with a few people. like I said if you start to get up there in numbers like 6 or 8 or 12 people, then do the cash pool it works great for everything.

"Everyone give me $150 cash" then take the pool of money and do all the buying of food, gas, etc. then divy up the remainder after the trip.

•maintenance of the equiptment

Maintenance, if the maintenance is a result or requirement of the trip, then split the cost. If it is regular maintenance for the equipment that has to be done anyway, then the owner pays. So an example is we borrowed a buddy's ATV for our trip and it was at about 960km total. We popped 2 tires on it that needed to bre placed and put about 70km on it so when we brought it back it was over 1000km. 1000km is when he has to do maintnance on it but because it already had 960 we agreed to pay about 10% of the maintenance costs not the full amount as we only put 70k on it. We did pay for the tire replacements though obviously since they were taken out on our watch.

Thank you for your input

Kill A Lot

No problem.

killalot
03-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Lot's of awesome information here guys ! I appreciate it as I'm usually the last guy who is prepaired to ask someone for money for trip expenses(nothing ruins a trip more then a squabble who paid for what? or a fight over what should have been paid for). I guess bottom line go with good people, when I say good people I mean good owners & good non owners.

Thank you

wildnfree
03-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Insurance and maintenance are your responsibility as the boat owner. I don't expect people I take to pay those for me. It's perfectly fair to split up all costs of the trip itself. Even share for everyone on the trip is good, if your partners want to pick up the fuel bill for you in exchange for providing the boat, all the better...but I never would expect that.

yah totally agree, i wouldnt ask for a cent, but if i take you with me i kinda think out of respect that you would chip in for fuel or something, i might say dont worry about it but i would be dissapointed if you didnt offer.

albravo2
03-07-2013, 09:58 PM
i totally agree with wildnfree. i've always said 'don't worry about it' but i really appreciate the offer when i hear it.

so, he and i would be good boat-mates. our sense is that we'll take care of the costs and will assume a friend will do something similar with his house/boat/plane/truck at some point in the future.

other folks expect to have their expenses covered because they own the boat. that's a different, but fair, perspective but they should find boat-mates with a similar perspective.

i think there are plenty of each type of person, the trick is finding the right match before hunting season.

Ramshot
03-08-2013, 08:59 AM
yah totally agree, i wouldnt ask for a cent, but if i take you with me i kinda think out of respect that you would chip in for fuel or something, i might say dont worry about it but i would be dissapointed if you didnt offer.

You should get a sticker and put it on the back of your jet-boat "This jet-boat doesn't run on Thank-You's".

killalot
03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
You should get a sticker and put it on the back of your jet-boat "This jet-boat doesn't run on Thank-You's".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^

Rugersingle
03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by tuchodi http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1297755#post1297755)
I own a jet boat and everyone that comes with me splits the cost of fuel, food etc equal. I am lucky so far as no major extra expenses on the boat or trailer just regular maintenance which I look after.

This also works for me...good partners never argue the cost...
Here's a twist though...Late Sept early Oct, 4 buddies in the boat,one is the boat owner/driver, 10 days upriver, 3 elk in the boat, water has dropped 12" in 10 days, on the way down miss a corner, ride er up onto the rocks and into the trees, pump and impellor are toast, windows are broken, there's blood but no broken bones. Now...it gets interesting $$$. Who pays for what...? BOAT stands for "bring out another thousand" and this is gonna cost more than that. I've seen and stopped for a few of these and always wondered how it all worked out in the end.

Personally, I would pay my 25% of all repairs and chalk it up to another huntin trip story. Regular MT, gas and groc's are the easy part of jet boat huntin.

Buckzilla
03-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Gas, grass, or ass.
Nobody rides for free

ryanb
03-11-2013, 08:54 PM
As a boat owner and driver, if I screwed and ran the boat up into the trees causing major damage, I sure as shit wouldn't expect my partners to pay for my **** up. I can afford to fix my mistakes, and if not that's what insurance is for. I'd just be glad they're okay and glad I'm not getting sued for bodily injury.

Rugersingle
03-12-2013, 06:31 PM
So as a boat owner and a driver, I'm sure you know water level dropping + increasing payload = increased risks. There are no guarantees... If you believe insurance handles the repairs that's fine. Having to worry about being sued....I'd find new partners.
The original question was how to split costs, so in this scenario , you as the boat owner would handle it through insurance.

boxhitch
03-12-2013, 08:29 PM
re sharing the cost

I talked to one owner years ago , who had a different plan.
He had a $$ cost to operate per hour , like a commercial venture would.
That cost took in insurance and scheduled maintenance and overhauls.
He kept a good log , and banked that $$ value every hour he ran , to build up the account , so it was in place for the inevitable.
Some days all the $$ cam e out of his pocket , other days he split it with riders. three riders = each paid 1/4

works with a truck too
$.55 per km. to the truck , everyone pays a share

SingleShot
03-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Everyone has to pull their weight in one way or another. Not everyone has enough cash to pony up even steven. Some guys, with less cash, will more than make up for it in effort in camp. How about that guy that is out of bed 1 hour early every day and has the fire crackling, stove burning and coffee perking. Thats worth it's weight in gold. I'm not talking about a maid, just a guy who contributes the best way he can. Some guys are always welcome because of their attitude, outlook and the laughs they bring. Personally, I've got enough money ( hard work) to share in the name of a good trip with the right people.

killalot
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
How about that guy that is out of bed 1 hour early every day and has the fire crackling, stove burning and coffee perking. Thats worth it's weight in gold. I'm not talking about a maid, just a guy who contributes the best way he can. Some guys are always welcome because of their attitude, outlook and the laughs they bring. Personally, I've got enough money ( hard work) to share in the name of a good trip with the right people.

This is priceless ,and worth more then money can buy to many folks, (including me at times) but something also has to be said for in the end being able to say "everything was devided up evenly" and "everybody is happy what is that worth" ? So far I think as this as maybe one of the better options and could be a hybrid of a few ideas that have been mentioned.

Personally: I think that there should be a budget set intentionally high agreeded upon by everyone then devided up in the end.However it would be nice for hunting parteners to simply keep in mind costs like "maintainance" insurance" & Liabilty" for the owners of vessels and vehichles when determining the budget.

You fellas on huntingbc have given insite for how a trip should be organised. We are all hunters and men & women with great reasoning. All in all we have to realize that the worst day hunting is still the best day at work.

Ahmen...
Thanks so far for everyones input.