PDA

View Full Version : Packs: Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu Icon

onpoint
03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Has anyone owned both? Interested to hear thoughts from people with experience. Was talking to a guy at the hunting show this past weekend who said a couple of guides he knows (yes I know we're talking third or fourth hand input here) were given Icons and destroyed the frames by the end of their seasons. They supposedly swear by the MR's????

bigwhiteys
03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
MR has more field-time, more users and much more feedback. That said, there are a few guides on here who were happy with the KUIU and it lasted their guiding seasons.... I don't want to be an early adopter with something like a pack so will wait a few years to pickup an Icon myself. I have an MR 6500 and a Barney which are both great tried and proven packs, the latter probably being the most bombproof.

KB90
03-04-2013, 10:08 AM
I think it depends which icons they were using.

The first go around had the pivot style frames, they did not last/work very well and kuiu ditched that idea.

The new generation of packs has your standard internal pack frame, and I have not heard of any break down issues. A lot of people seem to be happy with it.

My friend just ordered one, once i get my hands on it, I will probably order one too.

But if you aren't a gambling man, mystery ranch is the way to go. I used a mystery ranch kodiak last year and was happy with it. The only downfall in my opinion is their weight.

Mystery Ranch - 9.5 pounds
Kuiu 7000 - 6.5 pounds

The Hermit
03-04-2013, 10:21 AM
I have owned both.

I have the Icon first gen and there are some issues with squeaking in the pivot which MUST be kept clean and lubed otherwise you will sound like a calf elk every step of the way... its a three minute job to clean lube it. I broke the first one trying to tighten the pivot bolt to stop the squeak and they replaced it under warranty but not until I paid in full including the extremely high shipping/brokerage fees (they refunded the purchase after receiving the broken pack shipped back at my expense). Cost me over $100 in extra shipping. The new pack is fine and fits great but I have only had about 50 pounds max in it so I don't know about hauling a big load. Its main awesome card is its super light weight love it for that!

I found the MR just too heavy and I couldn't seem to get the fitment right. Also has so many straps to get tangled is was a PIA. If the Icon breaks on me I will probably try the second generation before going back to MR.

MtnBoy
03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I owned both. I packed moose quarters bone in solo this year with the ICON just to see what the limits were. Complete fail in every way. It is now a day pack for me.

MacMtnHunter
03-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Kuiu second gen packs are supposed to be a lot better. Like KB90 says, gamble a little and get the lighter weight one, plus they are a little cheaper, not that it makes much of a difference when you spend cash like that. If you aren't guiding for a full season and only plan to use it on a couple expedition style hunts per year then the chances of it totally blowing out are pretty low. I will be ordering mine shortly here! Can't wait to get my hands on it and hopefully stuff a sheep or two in it this year! Cheers

KB90
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
packed moose quarters bone in solo this year with the ICON just to see what the limits were. Complete fail in every way. It is now a day pack for me.

I don't think there are any internal pack frames that would haul a bone in moose quarter nicely.

As a sheep and goat hunting pack I think they will be great. I like the load sling with meat cell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqYLyJKZPOk

onpoint
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I owned both. I packed moose quarters bone in solo this year with the ICON just to see what the limits were. Complete fail in every way. It is now a day pack for me.

MtnBoy, explain failed in every way. Uncomfortable? Broke in one or various spots? We're heading on a moose/caribou combo hunt this year and hope to pack a fair amount of weight so would like to know.

Fred1
03-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I love my MR!!

MtnBoy
03-04-2013, 01:58 PM
There are a number of internal frame packs which can haul insanely heavy loads. I know, I own one. I recommend a M.R and McHales with the latter being on the spendy side. However, it is really a true custom pack.

This little ICON pack did the job as it was all I had with me at the time. I'm eating moose pepperoni now so I am thankful it got the job done.

I will explain 'fail'. The C.F. frame was flexing so much it felt like a wet noodle. A number of straps ripped off the bag fabric. The annoying squeak came and went but thats no big deal. The top bag (where the drawstring is on the main bag) ripped completely. Uncomfortable is putting it lightly. I think with so much flex in the frame it led to it not carrying well. I want to be clear that I was not using this pack for its intended purpose...this was way over the capabilities of this pack. It got the job done but it is not a heavy hauler. I still recommend it for some applications but just not heavy hauling.

2tins
03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Mystery Ranch 6500. You will not be sorry. It's a bit heavier but bomb proof. I have never heard of anyone having issues other than weight with their MR pack.

03-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't forget to look at Kifaru. A DT1 with Bikini frame and Longhunter lid will give you 8100 ci and be under 6 pounds, also has a great reputation for carrying weight and being bombproof.

budismyhorse
03-04-2013, 02:35 PM
well I have no experience with the MR stuff beside picking one up empty and saying "NO WAY".....

I also have no experience or the want to carry Bone In Moose Quarters with my Kuiu 7000.......

I packed an entire ram and all the gear necessary for a 2 week sheep hunt in my second gen Icon and it was easily the most comfortable and STABLE hike of that nature I've had.........and Im a tried and true diehard external frame hunter from way back.

I felt the "meat cell" that Kuiu added to the Icon is a home run and anyone that hasn't used one shouldnt say a thing about it until its packed something off a mountain for you. Its awesome in my opinion.......holds the heavy meat up and tight to your back........not low or flopping around. Hard to understand how good this is until you need it.

I will say this though. The weight values of the Kuiu are a bit misleading.........you have to add the weight of a good pack cover and dry sack that fits in the meat cell. So add another .5-.75 pounds.

Also, the Kuiu packs are in fact "lightweight"......so comparing them with MR isn't really fair when it comes to the "bombproof" factor.

Consider this: Has Kuiu ever said their stuff was bombproof??? Has MR ever said their stuff was lightweight??

You gotta make a decision whats most important to you and go with it.......not belabour the two compared to each other........

Fosey
03-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I was going to buy the Kuiu 7000 at the sheep show in Reno but my cousin pulled on the strap and pulled it off the Velcro back so went and looked at the MR and ended up with a Metcalf. It really fits good and will pack all I can carry. The MR salesman know the packs inside out and really helped me. Take your time when buying the packs and rely on past pack performance. The Metcalf weighs only 5 lbs and feels really good on. Good luck, these packs are expensive and you will have it for a long time.

03-04-2013, 03:11 PM
I have a MR Crewcab. It does feel heavy when I pick it up, but not so much when I wear it. It's very comfortable with a heavy load, and certainly durable. Would I like a lighter pack of equal cabability? Sure. But I really doubt such a pack exists.

spear
03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Just ordered a new metcalf this week, sold my crew cab. Have packed out bone in elk quarters and de-boned mule deer in my MR, absolute comfort at 100lb load.

Weatherby Fan
03-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Can't comment on the KUIU but I have 2 MR Nice frames one with a 6500 bag and one with a wolf bag,the latter I use for my day pack as well as 2-3 day trips,
Aside from being a little heavy it is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever worn,I usually hike from before first light to dark and after wearing it all day, when you take it off at night it doesn't feel like you were even wearing a pack,I haven't had much more than about 45lbs in it so far but I think u would be hard pressed to find a better pack made or one more comfortable.

WF

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2013, 03:50 PM
You're better off comparing kifaru to the MR. I've packed many double quarters, bone in, on my longhunter pack frame. Solid.

ianwuzhere
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
good write up budismyhorse.
i think the meat cell is a great idea- ive used it lots on my badlands OX pack and love that option. its good to see kuiu making light weight/ new stuff..

todbartell
03-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I'll also add that the MR packs are heavy when you pick them up, but when wearing them loaded they don't feel like you're packing 50lbs.

Dutch Ppoacher
03-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I'll also add that the MR packs are heavy when you pick them up, but when wearing them loaded they don't feel like you're packing 50lbs.
this is the reason anyone who has one and has it properly fitted will never use another pack. when it is comfortable for 6 days straight, no one cares about the extra weight!
just takes time to get it right!

DP

mcrae
03-04-2013, 08:50 PM
The new Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack is a bit lighter as well. I wouldnt call it light weight but to me it seems less bulky than the Crew Cab. I have been playing around with my Metcalf tonight and I have it stuffed full for an imaginary 5 day trip. Its more a day pack for me but I wanted to see if I could do 3-5 days out of it. No problem so far. Longer trips 6500 would be better. What peaked my interest on this pack is the ability to carry large loads of meat pinched between the bag and frame makes it very versatile IMO. Time will tell...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/002-3_zpseb881c31.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/003-4_zpsbd0297bb.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/001-5_zps998c5276.jpg

vip_ruger
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
My icon 7000 has been perfect and have 40 mountain days and has been very good no issues at all would recommend can't comment on mr bags

todbartell
03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
that Metcalf looks nice. I'll stick to the CrewCab for now but I'll probably pick up a Metcalf eventually to give it a go

budismyhorse
03-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Same can be said for any high end pack .....No?

any decent pack with less than 50 pounds will feel comfortable if it fits properly......

so the MR crowd is saying that the packs they lug are more comfortable than other comfortable packs?

I guess there are tastier steaks and more comfortable beds.... so why not eh?!

so if everyone is happy to carry an extra 5 pounds around then why isn't everyone throwing in a 6 pack of beer each time they set out for the day........hey why not? It's only 5 pounds ;)

.... All in good fun BTW....

bigwhiteys
03-04-2013, 10:11 PM
All things considered $700 and change to shave 4.5-5 lbs off your pack weight is actually a pretty good value proposition for guys looking to upgrade gear with lightweight counterparts.

Rackmastr
03-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I have a hard time with the weight of a MR and have always had it in my mind that I'd love a pack that was lighter that I was as confident and felt was as tough. Each type of pack have their benefits for sure. Some are weight, some are durability, some are modularity, some are price, some are for tall or short people, meat hauling vs backpacking, etc, etc..

I have a MR 6500 and have used them for a few years. They are bombproof and althoguh I'd love to have a couple pounds off it, it works well for me and I love how tough it is and how it carries big weight.

Kifaru, MR, KUIU, Stone Glacier, McHales, etc, etc all have their benefits and their drawbacks. Finding one that works best for each person is what it comes down to, and determining which 'drawbacks' are acceptable to you to get what you want is all part of the process.

Personally I'd like to try a Kifaru Timberline DT2 sometime just to see how it compares, but again its all personal choices with this type of stuff I think...

onpoint
03-05-2013, 09:17 AM
well I have no experience with the MR stuff beside picking one up empty and saying "NO WAY".....

I also have no experience or the want to carry Bone In Moose Quarters with my Kuiu 7000.......

I packed an entire ram and all the gear necessary for a 2 week sheep hunt in my second gen Icon and it was easily the most comfortable and STABLE hike of that nature I've had.........and Im a tried and true diehard external frame hunter from way back.

I felt the "meat cell" that Kuiu added to the Icon is a home run and anyone that hasn't used one shouldnt say a thing about it until its packed something off a mountain for you. Its awesome in my opinion.......holds the heavy meat up and tight to your back........not low or flopping around. Hard to understand how good this is until you need it.

I will say this though. The weight values of the Kuiu are a bit misleading.........you have to add the weight of a good pack cover and dry sack that fits in the meat cell. So add another .5-.75 pounds.

Also, the Kuiu packs are in fact "lightweight"......so comparing them with MR isn't really fair when it comes to the "bombproof" factor.

Consider this: Has Kuiu ever said their stuff was bombproof??? Has MR ever said their stuff was lightweight??

You gotta make a decision whats most important to you and go with it.......not belabour the two compared to each other........

Great input budismyhorse. So would you say its unrealistic to expect the Icon to handle everything from multi-day sheep/goat to (boned out) elk, moose, caribou? If I'm reading your (and other's) posts correctly, if I really want a "do-all" pack I'm going to have to sacrifice some of the weight savings of the Icons?

onpoint
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
The new Mystery Ranch Metcalf pack is a bit lighter as well. I wouldnt call it light weight but to me it seems less bulky than the Crew Cab. I have been playing around with my Metcalf tonight and I have it stuffed full for an imaginary 5 day trip. Its more a day pack for me but I wanted to see if I could do 3-5 days out of it. No problem so far. Longer trips 6500 would be better. What peaked my interest on this pack is the ability to carry large loads of meat pinched between the bag and frame makes it very versatile IMO. Time will tell...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/002-3_zpseb881c31.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/003-4_zpsbd0297bb.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/sako555/001-5_zps998c5276.jpg

Mcrae, thanks for posting these pics. I was checking this exact pack out on their website the other day. Really like the look and size of this one. Have you tested it at all yet ski-touring, snow-shoeing even?

onpoint
03-05-2013, 09:30 AM
And dumb question maybe but are the MR packs carried by anyone up here or do you have to buy direct form them?

The Hermit
03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
MntBoy - Is your Icon the first or second gen?

Weatherby Fan
03-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Same can be said for any high end pack .....No?

any decent pack with less than 50 pounds will feel comfortable if it fits properly......

so the MR crowd is saying that the packs they lug are more comfortable than other comfortable packs?

I guess there are tastier steaks and more comfortable beds.... so why not eh?!

so if everyone is happy to carry an extra 5 pounds around then why isn't everyone throwing in a 6 pack of beer each time they set out for the day........hey why not? It's only 5 pounds ;)

.... All in good fun BTW....

I think what the "MR" guys are saying is that even though it may be a little heavier it doesn't feel like it while wearing it or by the end of the day,

But if carrying an extra 5lbs of beer around is important to ya best get the ultralight KUIU beer hauler:wink::mrgreen:

I also think that the fact the US military have bought over 250,000 MR packs is probably saying something for their comfort and durability,not to mention,the Canadian,Japanese and now Australian military are switching to those god awful heavy MR packs :wink:

The Hermit
03-05-2013, 10:09 AM
MntBoy - Is your Icon the first or second gen?

Weatherby Fan
03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
And dumb question maybe but are the MR packs carried by anyone up here or do you have to buy direct form them?

Yes you have to buy directly from Mystery Ranch

Rubberfist
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
A fully-tricked-out MR 7500 with belt pouches, flip-top box, day-pack lid, rip-zip side pocket and some extra rigging will weigh in at around 11lbs. Put that on your back and then put an ultra-light pack on your back and you'll ask yourself: "Why the f*ck would I carry this extra 6lbs or so around? It's so heavy!"

However you know what's really heavy and really sucks?

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/misc/kuiu3_zpsb6bac1b7.jpg

Coming out with a full load and having your pack fail. It's not merely inconvenient or uncomfortable.

It has happened and will continue to happen - not to everyone mind you, but to some nonetheless.

The difference in how 85lbs and how 91lbs feels on your back is completely different than how 5lbs feels compared to 11lbs - it is misrepresentational to attempt to compare the "empty" feel of a pack, with how a heavily laden pack feels once you reach a certain threshold.

This is not a Kuiu slam (I'm a strong proponent and user of most of their gear) and they should be applauded for pushing the envelope in ultra-light hunting. However to state it simply: in the course of saving 5 or 6lbs are you willing to accept the risk of your pack failing, particularly if you plan on coming-out heavy, one or more days in, traversing steep terrain? I've seen first-hand what happens when a pack fails: the belt buckle on my partner's pack broke as we were packing out our sheep last year and he has lasting nerve damage in his left shoulder and arm.

I know, with no degree of uncertainty, that my 7500 will handle whatever I put in it, or put it through. In my search for a lighter pack, I've ordered a quasi-custom Kifaru DT1 with the bikini frame which is alleged to provide me with about 9000 cui at the 6lb mark, without compromising the durability and reliability I'm used to in the MR. I'll test the sh*t out of it and if it doesn't deliver it goes back and I go back to my MR.

The Icon is a thoughtfully designed, innovative and very comfortable pack, however it must be used within the boundaries of its practical/structural limitations.

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
And there you have it, from rubberfist. Not much to argue or debate about, the proof is in the picture. If only he would share what was IN the pack :biggrin:

kootenayelkslayer
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Rubberfist,

That's the 2nd generation Kuiu pack that broke??

Rubberfist
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
And there you have it, from rubberfist. Not much to argue or debate about, the proof is in the picture. If only he would share what was IN the pack :biggrin:

I need to be clear: that is not my pack. It belongs to someone I know.

onpoint
03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Wow, that's a pic Hairston won't want floating around the internet. Is this the damage from that sheep hunt last fall?

MtnBoy
03-05-2013, 01:58 PM
I owned the 1st gen pack.

Rackmastr
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Wow, that's a pic Hairston won't want floating around the internet. Is this the damage from that sheep hunt last fall?

There are several of those pictures floating around the internet of pack failures. KUIU had some major issues with the 1st generation no doubt, and there are a lot of pics of their broken packs from the 1st generation.

Rubberfist
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Rubberfist,

That's the 2nd generation Kuiu pack that broke??

Mike, that's a 2nd Gen. And didn't Johnny's 1st Gen frame break?

mcrae
03-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Mcrae, thanks for posting these pics. I was checking this exact pack out on their website the other day. Really like the look and size of this one. Have you tested it at all yet ski-touring, snow-shoeing even?

I just got the pack yesterday so no testing yet but having used the CrewCab and 6500 I am not to worried I believe it will be fine for me

kootenayelkslayer
03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Mike, that's a 2nd Gen. And didn't Johnny's 1st Gen frame break?

Hmm I'm a bit shocked and surprised that you broke the 2nd Gen, that sucks man. Thought they were a lot stronger. Ya he busted his 1st one, mine is still hanging in there though.

Rubberfist
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Hmm I'm a bit shocked and surprised that you broke the 2nd Gen, that sucks man. Thought they were a lot stronger. Ya he busted his 1st one, mine is still hanging in there though.

Fortunately it wasn't my pack - the pic was sent to me by a buddy. Glad yours is holding up. I'll have to rib Johnny when I see him...he probably had more weight in that pack than he weighs himself...that is to say not too much...lol

todbartell
03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Hmm I'm a bit shocked and surprised that you broke the 2nd Gen

not a shock when you factor in that Kuiu is junk ;)

kootenayelkslayer
03-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Fortunately it wasn't my pack - the pic was sent to me by a buddy. Glad yours is holding up. I'll have to rib Johnny when I see him...he probably had more weight in that pack than he weighs himself...that is to say not too much...lol
Haha ya you're probably right.

Shut it! I have high hopes for the 2nd generation pack and frame.

RiverOtter
03-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Wow, that's not much of a sales pitch for the Kuiu pack....

I like to shave weight as much as the next guy, but in a pack, weight is nearly always correlated to durability and lighter materials come at a price. Most gear a guy can limp through with a failure, but a pack failure on a 2 week trip would be a whole nother deal.....

Andrewh
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
This is a great thread, thanks for all the info you guys are sharing.

Personally I use an Arc'teryx Bora 95, can anyone compare this 'non-hunting' type pack to the MR. I have had a little over 105 lbs in it and it felt very heavy. I know, 105 lbs in a bag isn't light when you weigh 180lbs but can anyone chime in on there impressions of this bag?

I am would consider a trade over to MR provided it was a significant comfort gain over the Bora 95.

Andrew

Gateholio
03-05-2013, 07:22 PM
MR pack fits so NICE that I really only notice it's greater weight when I pick it up in my hand, when it's empty.

BromBones
03-05-2013, 07:28 PM
This is a great thread, thanks for all the info you guys are sharing.

Personally I use an Arc'teryx Bora 95, can anyone compare this 'non-hunting' type pack to the MR. I have had a little over 105 lbs in it and it felt very heavy. I know, 105 lbs in a bag isn't light when you weigh 180lbs but can anyone chime in on there impressions of this bag?

I am would consider a trade over to MR provided it was a significant comfort gain over the Bora 95.

Andrew

The Bora pack is probably one of the best internal frame packs going, especially considering it wasn't really designed for hunters packing out meat. I dont think you'll find anyone who has negative reviews of that pack.

My brother has used one for 6 or 7 years now and carried some big loads of meat out of the mountains. Never an issue and he says it's pretty decent with 100+ lbs in it. They are very well made, well designed packs.

onpoint
03-06-2013, 08:09 AM
I just got the pack yesterday so no testing yet but having used the CrewCab and 6500 I am not to worried I believe it will be fine for me

Thanks mcrae, I would be likely to go with that new Metcalf or the CrewCab if I go MR. Between the crewcab and the 6500 which did you prefer?

budismyhorse
03-06-2013, 09:55 AM
I think what the "MR" guys are saying is that even though it may be a little heavier it doesn't feel like it while wearing it or by the end of the day, ......like I said above........same can be said for any high end pack..........they are all comfortable under weight......

But if carrying an extra 5lbs of beer around is important to ya best get the ultralight KUIU beer hauler:wink::mrgreen:

what are you talking about?? I think you've been into the beer with this comment in response to what i stated above.

I also think that the fact the US military have bought over 250,000 MR packs is probably saying something for their comfort and durability,not to mention,the Canadian,Japanese and now Australian military are switching to those god awful heavy MR packs :wink:

Uhhhhh WF.........you have completely misread my post.......

When it comes down to gear choices everyone has different opinions.......If I was living out of my pack like the military......ya, I'd get the most skookum out there.

But when it comes to ultralight backpacking....many people make a few sacrifices in an effort to go as light as possible..

I don't carry around my 14 pound sako deluxe that shoots tiny groups at long ranges I carry 7 pound sako that shoots really really well. If I fell on that rifle the stock has a higher chance of snapping as opposed to the Sako laminate blonde wood stock that I'm sure you could drive a tank over and it wouldn't crack.

both shoot well, both will do the job.....one will for sure survive a bad fall.......one "may" break (don't tell Bansner I said that).

remember no one is arguing that Kuiu's stuff is as tough as the MR packs.....they are very comfortable and tough enough to get the job done.

In my opinion the 2nd gen packs are tough enough for the way I hunt and treat gear......and since everyone loves to say this: It is also very comfortable under weight such that I hardly notice the weight of the pack....blah blah blah. Same can be said for my Kelty Cache Hauler BTW.....

The Hermit
03-06-2013, 10:11 AM
The picture in rubberfist's post is a 1st gen. I am keen to see how the second gen packs endure... in a couple years. Thanks for all the great input.

Weatherby Fan
03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Uhhhhh WF.........you have completely misread my post.......

oops sorry bud I thought your post was humorous......that was my intent in my reply also....but it would be Captain Morgans in my pack not beer !

I don't think I misread your post just my reply wasn't so fitting........I'm a little Norwegian at times :wink:

budismyhorse
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I got the humour don't worry about that!!
cheers buddy!

yama49
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
I just got the icon 7000, so we see how it holds up for sheep season.. As for carring boned moose quaters, thats what horses are for :mrgreen:

mcrae
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks mcrae, I would be likely to go with that new Metcalf or the CrewCab if I go MR. Between the crewcab and the 6500 which did you prefer?

IMO it depends what your looking for. I dont like the 6500 as a day pack way to big and heavy for that IMO. As a hike in bag for 7+ days its great. I have a couple of buddies that use the 6500's as day bags and they like them for that so its diffrent for some guys but they also sheep hunt, etc....

The Crew Cab is nice and sturdy and I had no complaints. I guess if your the kind of guy that spends more days than most living out of a pack and only wants one pack the 6500 is better than the Crew Cab for multi day stuff with the odd day trip thrown in.

I am mostly day hikes with the 2-5 day trips thrown in so the CrewCab or Metcalf works for me. I was lucky I had both the Crew Cab and 6500. I used the Crew Cab way more! I dont hunt sheep so I will not pretend to know what a guy needs for that....

The Hermit
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
I am going to bring in a couple Tensing packs this spring and see what they are like... sure look good online >>> Tensing Packs (http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/)

Their 2220 was named Best of the Best for 2012 by Field and Stream.

todbartell
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
I've handled the Tensing packs and their gun cases, they look great for a day pack or light duty mtn pack. We're bringing some in this spring

Rackmastr
03-07-2013, 08:43 PM
The Tensing look nice. I've heard they've had some pretty bad failures as well, but as a daypack they seem really awesome!

lorneparker1
03-07-2013, 11:16 PM
The Tensing look nice. I've heard they've had some pretty bad failures as well, but as a daypack they seem really awesome!

Try one on before buying. I tried on all there packs at WSS. THey are heavy and the load lifters are not very functional. Well organized packs though and as a day/scouting pack sure, but i would not want to haul out more then 5 field mice in those packs.

asurebet
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
quit complaining and haul it out like our forfathers,(rope,straps,and a lot of muscle)

onpoint
03-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks to all who've posted. Great info, and great "relative" comparisons so you can make a decision based on your individual priorities. I was virtually SET on the Icon 5000 but since I want this pack to handle everything from sheep/goats to boned out moose/elk I'm now leaning towards the MR Crewcab or Metcalf. Thanks again for info and photos.

albravo2
03-08-2013, 09:36 AM
One last thought, it might be worth asking the folks at kuiu how they would treat a pack failure under warranty.

I am in exactly the same boat as you, trying to decide between the two. I will ask someone at kuiu and post their answer

ram hunter
03-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I bought the kuiu 7000 I love the pack used it last year on a sheep preformed great but to compare it to mr I don't know I haven't had a chance to use one but I heard they were great packs

albravo2
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
i spoke to sarah at kuiu. very helpful. i asked her if a blowout such as the one in the photos would be covered. she said she couldn't give a blanket yes or no, that they would deal with it on a case-by-case basis. i suppose that's fair because she hadn't seen the photo. she also mentioned that it was probably the earlier version of the frame.

i asked about lead time and she said they ship within 5 days. she says they ship to Canada regularly but it is more expensive and sometimes duty is applied at the border. i have a post office box in Blaine, so that wouldn't be an issue for me but i figure others may be interested.

as someone else mentioned, there is a good discussion on this topic over at rokslide.

mountainman
03-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I went with the Stone Glacier pack, haven't had much time to go over it due to work schedule ( or lack there of) but at a glance it looks good.

RiverOtter
03-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Kuiu moved manufacturing from Canada to China recently.....MR is built in the USA.

kickemall
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
If you get a chance take a look at rokslide.com. There is every thing you could want to know about packs, including some videos. The people on the site tend to be a little Kifaru prejudiced but probably with good reason.

Dave

Tarp Man
03-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Having spent the last few years hauling an Arc' Teryx Bora 95 as my big trip bag, I can say for a big load hauler it was excellent. It is better than the Bora 80 due to the load stabilizer stays that are the cat's meow for loads over 70 lbs. Based on that, if I was spending $700 on a new pack, my money is on the MR 6500 or 7500 for the same reason I ride a mountain bike with an aluminum frame. If it fails, it usually isn't catastrophic. When carbon fails, well, just ask the guys who ended up with a backpack minus a rigid frame. I would take the extra pounds in a pack and cut weight everywhere else, including my own weight (which would probably be more helpful and definitely cheaper!).

Bottom line? MR 7500 for me. At only a few oz more than the 6500, the extra space is worth it. As rubberfist said, it will haul anything I could ever hope to carry.

Weatherby Fan
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
I bought the kuiu 7000 I love the pack used it last year on a sheep preformed great but to compare it to mr I don't know I haven't had a chance to use one but I heard they were great packs

Can someone tell me the total weight of the Kuiu Icon and 7000 bag combined ?

Superdeuce
03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Can someone tell me the total weight of the Kuiu Icon and 7000 bag combined ?

check Post #443:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?33192-sheep-pack-weight&p=1196840#post1196840

Weatherby Fan
03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
check Post #443:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?33192-sheep-pack-weight&p=1196840#post1196840

Thank you.......

albravo2
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
based on the info here i did contact kifaru also. i think they have an excellent product. it is worth noting, however, that one of the founders of rokslide, Aron Snyder, also works at kifaru. i've seen comments that indicate rokslide has a bias toward kifaru. that might explain it.

lorneparker1
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
based on the info here i did contact kifaru also. i think they have an excellent product. it is worth noting, however, that one of the founders of rokslide, Aron Snyder, also works at kifaru. i've seen comments that indicate rokslide has a bias toward kifaru. that might explain it.

Rokslide doesnt have a bias. However there are a TON of roksliders that use kifaru because they are the best. Aaron has only worked for kifaru for less then year but has been using kifaru packs for ages. Most people on the site use kifaru cause in thier opinion its the best. ( i agree) if you go over to 24 hour campfire its all MR fans. Every pack company has thier followers.

If you wade through this thread you will see a very good comparision of the kifaru and stone glacier packs.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?4375-Stone-Glacier-and-Kifaru. For light weight heavy loads they are the top of the food chain. However stone glacier has a good product and the new MR metcalfe looks like its in the ball game

Lorne

Rubberfist
03-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Long before being hired on as a designer/consultant with Kifaru, Aron reviewed packs as an independent, when he had a regular day job. His exposure and experience with virtually every brand/model of pack you would consider taking into the backwoods is what lead him to his position with Kifaru. There is undoubtedly a bias on Rokslide for certain brands/models of gear, however with respect to Aron, he no longer does comparative pack reviews because of his inherent and perceived bias. Instead, when pressed to review a pack, he'll suggest someone else, such as with the Highcamp vs. Stone Glacier review: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?4375-Stone-Glacier-and-Kifaru

Packs at this level cost a chunk of cash, so the more info available the better.

albravo2
03-12-2013, 10:21 AM
To be clear, I meant no disrespect to Aron. He has an solid reputation on this site and others and he has an outstanding resume. I was just surprised to see his name in both places, especially after seeing a few instances where people have mentioned Rokslide's bias toward Kifaru.

My son and I have ended up deciding on the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. At the end of the day it was the ability to put the game between the pack and the frame rather than in or on the pack that led us in that direction.

lorneparker1
03-12-2013, 05:32 PM
the end of the day it was the ability to put the game between the pack and the frame rather than in or on the pack that led us in that direction.

You mean like this :):mrgreen:

http://vimeo.com/56174100

NovemberBravo
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
You mean like this :):mrgreen:

http://vimeo.com/56174100

http://i47.tinypic.com/3asur.jpg
I am pretty sure MR has it too:mrgreen::twisted:.

right at the bottom where I have circled.

albravo2
03-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Uhm, yeah, actually exactly like that. Now you've done made me unsure again.

Its interesting. I've spent quite a bit of time researching but I never came across that video and didn't know Kifaru offered that feature. Makes me really wish they had a retail store somewhere within rubber tire distance so that I could chat with a salesman and, even better, try one on. I know they all want to sell direct over the internet because it makes it possible to sell a good product at a lower price and still make some money but the internet model is tough for such technical stuff.

lorneparker1
03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Uhm, yeah, actually exactly like that. Now you've done made me unsure again.

Its interesting. I've spent quite a bit of time researching but I never came across that video and didn't know Kifaru offered that feature. Makes me really wish they had a retail store somewhere within rubber tire distance so that I could chat with a salesman and, even better, try one on. I know they all want to sell direct over the internet because it makes it possible to sell a good product at a lower price and still make some money but the internet model is tough for such technical stuff.

The best thing you can do is call aron at kifaru anytime. Honestly the guy is super helpful. If he isnt available, he will call you back as soon as he is which is the same day. (has been the 2 times i have called) He wll literally spend as much time as possible with you answering any questions. Ive never had a better experience with a rep from any company then i did with aron and kifaru. I can tell you there is nothing that i know of that one pack can do, that kifaru hasnt thought of, made better, or made obsolete because its useless.

Heres something that may be helpful. Its alink to all thier you tube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kifarutube

http://i47.tinypic.com/3asur.jpg
I am pretty sure MR has it too:mrgreen::twisted:.

right at the bottom where I have circled.

I was aware, i was just letting the OP know, that if that was the mian reason for going for MR, that Kifaru does the same.

Lorne

onpoint
03-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks Lorne for that, sorry meant to reply last week. I've been pouring over rokslide looking at the kifaru and stone glacier reviews. My options brand-wise have officially expanded!

albravo2
03-19-2013, 08:34 PM
for what its worth, i ordered a MR metcalf last week and picked it up at my PO Box in Blaine today. My first impressions are excellent. Fit and finish are first rate.

i ordered a couple of Kifaru gunbearers the same day. they won't ship until the 28th:-(

at the end of the day it was the price and the faster delivery that moved me toward MR. no regrets so far.

lorneparker1
04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Long before being hired on as a designer/consultant with Kifaru, Aron reviewed packs as an independent, when he had a regular day job. His exposure and experience with virtually every brand/model of pack you would consider taking into the backwoods is what lead him to his position with Kifaru. There is undoubtedly a bias on Rokslide for certain brands/models of gear, however with respect to Aron, he no longer does comparative pack reviews because of his inherent and perceived bias. Instead, when pressed to review a pack, he'll suggest someone else, such as with the Highcamp vs. Stone Glacier review: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?4375-Stone-Glacier-and-Kifaru

Packs at this level cost a chunk of cash, so the more info available the better.

Hey Rubber,

Seen you sold some of your MR packs.

Have you got your bikini yet? If so give us a review!

Lorne

limit time
04-22-2013, 07:26 PM
It could of been just the pack I used, but the KUIU was squeaky.

Rubberfist
04-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Hey Rubber,

Seen you sold some of your MR packs.

Have you got your bikini yet? If so give us a review!

Lorne

Lorne,
I sold all but my Nice Frame and 7500 - as painful as it was to let them go...I just wasn't using the Shooter, Crew Cab or Longbow.

The DT1+Bikini mod should be here next week and I look foward to checking it out. I'll definitely report back.

ufishifish2
04-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Kuiu moved manufacturing from Canada to China recently.....MR is built in the USA.

That makes a huge difference to me. I just put in an order for a KUIU pack recently, but the one I ordered is on back order. I'm going to call them tomorrow and cancel my order. I'm tired of buying China made stuff that never lasts.

Frosty
04-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Im just curious about the limitations between the 5000 and the 7000 kuiu bags.

How far have people pushed the 5000 in weight and days out in the field and how far have people pushed the 7000 in weight and days out in the field?

SR80
04-29-2013, 07:49 PM
If anyone is looking for a mystery ranch crew cab I have one I am going to be selling. Just the bag though, no frame, foliage is the colour. Excellent shape. PM me if interested.

RiverOtter
04-29-2013, 09:06 PM
If anyone is looking for a mystery ranch crew cab I have one I am going to be selling. Just the bag though, no frame, foliage is the colour. Excellent shape. PM me if interested.

I'm thinking the Metcalfe is gonna put a LOT of Crew Cabs on the used market.......

goinghunting
05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
rubberfist have you got your kifaru yet?

limit time
06-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Speaking from real world experience? Or what you've heard from the store?

300rum700
06-16-2013, 05:00 PM
I fixed my kuiu pack problems with a hefty order from Kifaru. I just can't put any faith into thier carbon fibre frame and flimsy pack material, that being said their clothing line is top notch. My Bikini framed DT1 should come in at around 6 pounds and should be pretty much bomb proof. Time will tell how it stacks up to the MR 7500 but my money is on the Kifaru with a better hip belt and better load lifters.

KB90
06-16-2013, 07:06 PM
My new KUIU 7200 is in the mail!

Rubberfist
06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
The packs arrived, however I have been away from home for some time and haven't been able to play with them =o(
However my buddies have been molesticizing them and the initial assessments on fit, finish, capacity and weight are stellar.

Hopefully 300rum700 will chime in here...he had a couple of slow dances with my modified DT-1 Bikini frame...f*cker... =o)

300rum700
06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
The packs arrived, however I have been away from home for some time and haven't been able to play with them =o(
However my buddies have been molesticizing them and the initial assessments on fit, finish, capacity and weight are stellar.

Hopefully 300rum700 will chime in here...he had a couple of slow dances with my modified DT-1 Bikini frame...f*cker... =o)

Well since you were kind enough to let me fondle your pack before you even took it out of the box I'll add my two cents on both the Kuiu vs. Mystery Ranch and the Kifaru vs Mystery Ranch debate.

To answer the OP on the Kuiu vs MR the MR 6500/7500 IMHO the MR is the way to go no question. The pic that Rubberfist posted is of a 2nd gen not the first gen as previously stated in an earlier post. The possibility of that failure alone was enough for me to abandon my 2nd gen frame and 6000 bag ( the bag by the way came off a 1st gen pack that failed in the exact same spot as the one in the pic). Yes the Kuiu weighs at least half of the MR but in my opinion it could weigh a whole lot less with the loss of some of the redundant pockets and zippers on the inside of the pack. The buckles are less than ideal for a backcountry type hunt and feel downright flimsy ( think a badlands in the cold) and the straps feel like they could be ripped right off with enough force. The Icon feels really comfortable at 65 lbs anything more and I started to really notice the carbon fibre frame twisting and turning. No I haven't packed a sheep off the mountain with the Icon and I never will, I won't put my once a year, at best, hunt into the hands of the Kuiu Icon it will have to be retired to day hunts around home which it will excel at.

The second comparison was a little more complicated for me to come to a conclusion on, when is the last time you heard a Mystery Ranch owner say anything bad about their packs? I had to dig pretty hard but there are a few differences between the two. I should make it clear that I'm talking about the 6500/7500 and the DT series packs here not the Crew Cab or Metcalf here, putting that much load out away from your body really doesn't seem like much fun to me (had an eberlestock that I wrestled my way up the mountain with a time or two so I know what this feels like). There were four things that really stood out in favour for the Kifaru, the weight, the new Bikini frame, the wide waist belt and load lifters that really take the weight off the shoulders and put it into your hips where it belongs. First the bikini framed kifaru DT1 with accessories weighs almost half of the 7500 with daypack lid (hello kuiu I thought you were supposed to be ultralight!!) at right around 6 lbs depending on how you dress it up. Second the bikini frame is stiff as a board and only comes into contact to your back through two pads on the shoulder strap and on the waist belt which makes it a whole lot cooler to wear. There is little to no give in this frame and unless you are hell bent on packing your pack wrong there should be no worry of it barreling into your back. The waist belt is the most comfortable I have ever tried on, really molds to your body contour and keeps the pack from sliding down under heavy loads. Also worth noting is the way the two packs tighten around the waist, the MR stap tightens by pulling the straps towards your body where as the Kifaru system allows you to push the straps out in front of you giving you more power to really tighten up the belt. Lastly the load lifters on the Kifau do a much better job at getting the weight onto your hips and this is due to a greater angle between the top of the frame and the shoulder straps, I believe that there is an aftermarket company that actually makes a kit to address this issue for the MR Nice Frame.

Hopefully this helps.

2tins
06-17-2013, 05:25 PM
I have owned both.

I have the Icon first gen and there are some issues with squeaking in the pivot which MUST be kept clean and lubed otherwise you will sound like a calf elk every step of the way... its a three minute job to clean lube it. I broke the first one trying to tighten the pivot bolt to stop the squeak and they replaced it under warranty but not until I paid in full including the extremely high shipping/brokerage fees (they refunded the purchase after receiving the broken pack shipped back at my expense). Cost me over $100 in extra shipping. The new pack is fine and fits great but I have only had about 50 pounds max in it so I don't know about hauling a big load. Its main awesome card is its super light weight love it for that!

I found the MR just too heavy and I couldn't seem to get the fitment right. Also has so many straps to get tangled is was a PIA. If the Icon breaks on me I will probably try the second generation before going back to MR.

If the difference of 2 - 3 pounds in a pack makes that much of a difference................you should probably just stay home. What happens when you get an animal? Onpoint, get yerself a Mystery Ranch pack, you will not be disappointed. With a name like On Point I'm sure you'll be able to haul all the extra weight. Good luck, 2tins.

Mountain Hunter
06-17-2013, 08:22 PM
I scanned through this thread and was wondering if anyone that bought a MR Metcalf can confirm that the bag and frame weigh right around 7 lbs? Then add the daypack lid and the rig weighs in around 8 lbs (not counting extra pockets, bottle holder)?

I would be happy with a bullet proof pack around 8 lbs that would be suitable for a few days in the backcountry and able haul out an animal. Probably need something bigger for hunts lasting over a week.....

Obvioulsy I am biased as I bought the MR frame and Crewcab a couple years ago. I like the frame and the Crewcab, I like hunting without the daypack lid as it is nice unit for day hunts, but too heavy if you start adding more accessories for longer hunts.

2tins
06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
I scanned through this thread and was wondering if anyone that bought a MR Metcalf can confirm that the bag and frame weigh right around 7 lbs? Then add the daypack lid and the rig weighs in around 8 lbs (not counting extra pockets, bottle holder)?

I would be happy with a bullet proof pack around 8 lbs that would be suitable for a few days in the backcountry and able haul out an animal. Probably need something bigger for hunts lasting over a week.....

Obvioulsy I am biased as I bought the MR frame and Crewcab a couple years ago. I like the frame and the Crewcab, I like hunting without the daypack lid as it is nice unit for day hunts, but too heavy if you start adding more accessories for longer hunts.
I use a MR 6500 for getting all my gear up the river. All my gear for a 7-10 day hunt. When I get to camp I empty my pack and restock it with all of my necessities for day hunts or if we are going to spike out for a couple days I load for that, the rest of my gear is in my tent. The MR packs have lots of compression straps to cinch down a smaller load in a big bag like the 6500. When we are lucky enough to get an animal, I've got lots of room to open up my pack and drop in a quarter. These pack are a little heavier but they are worth the extra weight. I can't recall anyone on this site complaining about a broken Mystery Ranch pack but I can about other packs. Good luck, 2tins.

spear
06-18-2013, 07:32 PM
I've got a metcalf, your estimate sounds about right. I've had it loaded to 65lbs plus 7 lbs of rifle. Its comfortable at that weight, doesnt not feel like its pulling away or down at all, higher load lifters are WAAYYY better than the crew cab was. I\ll be taking this pack on 12 day sheep trip up the muskwa come August. The metcalf is a huge improvement over the crew cab in my mind, I took the lid of and emptied the pack out save water/snacks/spotter, it felt non existent and had zero movement when the compression straps were cinched down.
I would love to see MR come out with a spottig scope pocket similar to what the stone glacier pack has.

KB90
06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Got my 2013 Icon 7200 and Frame in the mail today!

First impressions are great, fit and feel are awesome. Going to load it right up and go for a hike tonight, I put about 40 pounds in it and walked around the house, love it so far.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1017362_10151633438707088_656959645_n.jpg

limit time
06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Got my 2013 Icon 7200 and Frame in the mail today!

First impressions are great, fit and feel are awesome. Going to load it right up and go for a hike tonight, I put about 40 pounds in it and walked around the house, love it so far.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1017362_10151633438707088_656959645_n.jpg
NICE! I like it, can you give a report on it?

bcsteve
06-24-2013, 09:08 PM
NICE! I like it, can you give a report on it?

Sorry, you can't use "NICE" while referring to a Kuiu pack, it's a trademark of Mystery Ranch!:wink:

ryanb
06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I have a Kifaru Timberline. The non-bikini frame version. This is essentially the same pack as the DT1 without the interchangeable bags. This pack has done well packing some heavy loads in the year I have owned it. Very comfortable.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/P1010056_zps04416a83.jpg

I will say that the stitching from the Kifaru factory was pretty marginal. I had 30% of spot stitches beginning to unravel after only one hunt. It had to go back to the factory for repair with a promise from Kifaru that they would reimburse my costs for shipping it back to them. I received the pack back, but no compensation for the shipping costs in any way.

The problem stitches were just doubled up on. Time will tell if the repairs last any length of time. I do honestly believe that they make a quality product, and that my pack was a Friday-afternoon-special. But I have heard of some stitching issues on some other's packs.

todbartell
06-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Speaking from real world experience? Or what you've heard from the store?

just ribbin' my buddy KES...........carry on

mod7rem
06-28-2013, 10:25 AM
One thing to consider is that regardless of quality, not all packs designs will work with all body types. One of my earlier packs was a camp trails external, and after doing some customizing it was fairly comfortable and carried some heavy loads but the durability and design features is very low. Another pack I have is a first Gen kifaru long hunter guide, and that pack is light, extremely tough and reliable, thoughtfully designed, but with loads over 65 lbs the waist belt and harness just doesn't work well with my body style no matter what adjustments I made. A few years ago I had a McHale critical mass pack built for myself and it works awesome with heavy loads on my body, has some features that other packs don't, is extremely tough and durable, but is more money than kifaru and mystery ranch. My best advice is figure out how much you're willing to spend then try and demo whichever brands you can that are the right size, because one of them is going to work better just based on your body shape alone.