PDA

View Full Version : Supreme court ruling?

Apolonius
03-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't really know if anyone did this topic before.But all i can hear from some Metis friends after the ruling they can hunt anywhere anytime?Did the federal government appeal the ruling?And if not what do this ruling would mean to the rest of us?Actually......is there "rest of us"????Seen some guys here are quiet knowledgeable about this things.

pnbrock
03-04-2013, 08:46 AM
i don't think this is true,they originated in sask if i remember correct.please educate me if wrong.

Philcott
03-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Last I heard the .gov was appealing the ruling.

Walking Buffalo
03-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't really know if anyone did this topic before.But all i can hear from some Metis friends after the ruling they can hunt anywhere anytime?Did the federal government appeal the ruling?And if not what do this ruling would mean to the rest of us?Actually......is there "rest of us"????Seen some guys here are quiet knowledgeable about this things.

I assume you are talking about the Daniels v. Canada decision. The ruling has decided that Metis are, for jurisdictional purposes, "Indians" within the meaning of s.91 (24). The decision concludes that Metis rights are under Federal jurisdiction.

For now, Metis hunters must continue to follow the present rules within Provincial jurisdictions. The case was originally filed in Manitoba and the ruling applies to that province. Upon conclusion of the appeal process, in the future individual provinces may have to adjust their Metis hunting rights to Federal standards.

I wonder how many people are going to be facing charges of illegal hunting due to ignorance....

curt
03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Currently Metis have little to no rights the only real advantage I see currently is education for our childeren, and that id funded through the Metis not the government. I wouldnt hold your breath for hunting and fishing rights anytime soon! If this ruling doesnt change through the appeal process, it will take years of bureaucratic BS to sort out it certainly wont happen over night. This has huge implications for taxes and government funding they wont go down without a fight. The positive side is you need definate proof of heritage to qualify you need to go back 5 generations and prove native blood lines.

Jelvis
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Any re'al Metis to challenge the law this year?
This late summer you could go out and take a lil deer to eat, use this ruling as an example and say I'm a metis and a non status hunter and I'm hunting according to my right, done this day, under this my and our new ruling. Then if needs be take it to court and it will be set aside til the appeal is done.
Not (by breaking a law), but by (using your right) to hunt.
.. Some will try this year it could be you .. I believe you have a right according to this judge .. :-D ..
.. mixed bloods .. imho .. Not by breaking the law, but by using your right, according to this rule .. :) .. if yah got the stones
Jel ..

Jagermeister
03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Last I read the Metis status was not recognized in BC and were subject to the same hunting regs as the rest of us. It remains to be seen what impact the Supreme Court ruling will have on the BC hunting regulations. Until hunting regulations change, the status quo remains the same. Alberta, on the other hand, recognizes Metis and they are granted the same privilege as status Indians.
Hunting aside.
With the Supreme Court ruling, approximately 600,000 Metis will gain status. There were 705,000 (+/_) status Indians and added together that will now be 1.3 million status persons.
In the fiscal year of 2011-2012, 7.61B$ of the federal budget was allocated to maintain the 705,000 aboriginals.
(That does not include the $2B that was forked out earlier this year in BC for aboriginal's health care coverage, that money came from provincial coffers. It would appear that we now have a two tier health care system in BC.)
Since the status population will nearly double in size, the taxpayer cost of bearing that group will probably nearly double as well. I would expect to see a federal budget allocation near 15B$ for said group.

Jelvis
03-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Those are Metis and now add the Non Status native, two different and now the same as a third, the Status Native.
1 2 3
abc
three come togehter as a Status Native
Jel .. A major ruling .. The Metis paid 21 million for lawyers so far for this first major win ..

r106
03-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Currently Metis have little to no rights the only real advantage I see currently is education for our childeren, and that id funded through the Metis not the government. I wouldnt hold your breath for hunting and fishing rights anytime soon! If this ruling doesnt change through the appeal process, it will take years of bureaucratic BS to sort out it certainly wont happen over night. This has huge implications for taxes and government funding they wont go down without a fight. The positive side is you need definate proof of heritage to qualify you need to go back 5 generations and prove native blood lines.

You say they have " little to no rights". I say they have equal rights as the rest of Canadians

curt
03-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I dont disagree however i was making reference to the rights compared to status Indians!!

Jelvis
03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Everything hinjes on this ruling which was won. Now forcast an appeal. So until the appelet court rules, which could take ten years to do, this will be the last win. Now everything hangs on to the now and until the appeal comes to final ruling.
It's murkey, and it's mixed togetter, it's going to be a year of the Metis and Non Statapuss. 2013 will go down in his story.
Jel His Store E .. Your in the know! Your in the now!

t-rexer
03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm a metis descendant of the San Juan metis settlement which is just now getting recognized. I'm not greedy by any means and will continue to live my life and raise my kid the same as I always have. Work my ass off. Pay taxes and teach my kid right from wrong, and how to ethically hunt and fish for food. I do think it is my right to hunt and fish for food and starting this year I will no longer buy tags or licenses, I will still however put in for limited entry. It is my understanding for this ruling that I am no different from a full status Indian and will exercise that to its fullest.
If a co stops me in the bush with an animal well I'm not exactly sure how that is going to play out well just have to see. Any thoughts. I am planing on calling my local co and discussing this with him first before I head out

t-rexer
03-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I know this is going to piss a lot of people off but it isn't going to hurt our animal populations Just means the gov won't be getting my tag and license fees

Whonnock Boy
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I know this is going to piss a lot of people off but it isn't going to hurt our animal populations Just means the gov won't be getting my tag and license fees

I'm a metis descendant of the San Juan metis settlement which is just now getting recognized. I'm not greedy by any means and will continue to live my life and raise my kid the same as I always have. Work my ass off. Pay taxes and teach my kid right from wrong, and how to ethically hunt and fish for food. I do think it is my right to hunt and fish for food and starting this year I will no longer buy tags or licenses, I will still however put in for limited entry. It is my understanding for this ruling that I am no different from a full status Indian and will exercise that to its fullest.
If a co stops me in the bush with an animal well I'm not exactly sure how that is going to play out well just have to see. Any thoughts. I am planing on calling my local co and discussing this with him first before I head out

Whatever floats your boat. If you have the misconceived notion that you should be able to live your life by not living up to the same responsibilities as all us common folk, don't expect any respect from a lot of people around here.

squamishhunter
03-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Yeah well pretty soon, us white Europeans whos forefathers founded Canada will be the minority with no rights.

Apolonius
03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Like t-rexer says the Metis i know will do the same thing.It would hurt the game population and create more bad feelings,justified or not,between all of us.And that is what we don't need.I hope the feds would appeal the ruling and clarify where we stand.We will have so many special groups here where i feel "special" by not being special.

.300WSMImpact!
03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
its sad ruling for hunters and animals

finngun
03-04-2013, 06:01 PM
jagmeister--With the Supreme Court ruling, approximately 600,000 Metis will gain status. There were 705,000 (+/_) status Indians and added together that will now be 1.3 million status persons.//
means-- less hunting-fishing for white 2 class citisens [there is no 1 st. class whities]....and more white boys have to go to work,,,to make extra gow. expences .....so lots of more 1st. nations:cry: are able to crab monthly 'paycheck'...:mrgreen:...yahoo don't try to tell mee---im rasist.. it is NOT true.. but i'm really sad..:cry:

Whonnock Boy
03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Alberta, on the other hand, recognizes Metis and they are granted the same privilege as status Indians.

That may be true but, if what I was told is correct, there are only six carded Metis in Alberta. The CO that was at the Sportsman show was telling me that the hoops that have to be jumped through in Alberta for a Metis to be recognised, is almost impossible.

180grainer
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
They can hunt anywhere and at anytime? Wait till the Carrier, Chilcotin, and Klincet hear about this. Maybe the Supreme Court will sanction some good ol FN justice just like back in the good old days when one tribe caught another hunting in it's territory. After all, it's all about maintaining one's cultural heritage isn't it. Think about it, we'll all be able to sit back and watch some range wars on global TV........or we could market it like the UFC.......>) I jest of course but it really goes to show you how messed up things are getting with maintaining a dated cultural practice with out fully considering the current political and social implications.

pnbrock
03-04-2013, 06:26 PM
So when u don't pay for tags and it don't hurt the animals ,where does the $$$ for research and wildlife studies come from? That there is some sideways thinking !!!

Jelvis
03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
T rex has some valid points, this ruling states the rights he or she already had, but now are being recognized by rulings..
Metis are mixed bloods, but the one thread of strength and cohesiveness of a braided cord of three seperate identities.
Metis are Indian and another blood mixed, prolly European mostly French but some Irish, Scotts, and moocho more.
The common rope is Indian blood then who ever coherced with a significant other mixed blood (Metis) and those Indians who lost or dint get their Status because of any reason, now both in the chains braided together, with the Status.
But a forth is needed and that's the other bloods mixed yet not, but still hunters by nature and gatherers like all men and women.
.. Metis and Non status .. 2 getter again .. plus 1 = 3 + 1 = Four
Any and all of us hunters on here should be able to hunt for sport and meat.
Jel .. Conservation First ..

Walking Buffalo
03-05-2013, 01:54 AM
Last I read the Metis status was not recognized in BC and were subject to the same hunting regs as the rest of us. It remains to be seen what impact the Supreme Court ruling will have on the BC hunting regulations. Until hunting regulations change, the status quo remains the same. Alberta, on the other hand, recognizes Metis and they are granted the same privilege as status Indians.
Hunting aside.
With the Supreme Court ruling, approximately 600,000 Metis will gain status. There were 705,000 (+/_) status Indians and added together that will now be 1.3 million status persons.
In the fiscal year of 2011-2012, 7.61B$ of the federal budget was allocated to maintain the 705,000 aboriginals.
(That does not include the $2B that was forked out earlier this year in BC for aboriginal's health care coverage, that money came from provincial coffers. It would appear that we now have a two tier health care system in BC.)
Since the status population will nearly double in size, the taxpayer cost of bearing that group will probably nearly double as well. I would expect to see a federal budget allocation near 15B$ for said group.

Making stuff up as you go along?