PDA

View Full Version : Why G-bear hunt?

MR.uninformed
03-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Well, l I know absolutly nothing about grizzly bear hunting so I was just wondering why you hunt them and why their so sought after. Do you hunt them for a rug, for meat, both, or just the expirience? I just want to add that im not against the hunt, im just curious. thanks
also, how many hve you taken in your lifetime?

warnniklz
03-03-2013, 12:16 AM
I've taken 0 grizzlies in my lifetime... still waiting for that draw.

I'm sure the reasoning differs from hunter to hunter. I personally think I only ever want to harvest 1 g-bear in my lifetime (that could change). I just want to go for the experience.

If you look at grizzly populations across north america, BC and Alaska hands down have the best population. I think because our grizzly bear hunting is very highly respected amongst the hunting population (not at all with the Pamela Anderson verion of PETA). This leads to hunters wanting to harvest large bears, which are more often than not large male bears. Large male bears will kill cubs to bring sows into heat. If we keep the big males in check, the cubs have an increased chance of survival. This obviously leads to a healthier population in the future.

That's just my take on it.

BlacktailStalker
03-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Why ? The adventure of hunting an animal of that caliber in country during a season you wouldn't normally see it, is the reason I want one. Save a pile of calves and fawns. What will I do with it? A rug or mount.
There might be a hint of a smile when I scare the shit out of it with a bullet or arrow to somewhat make up for all the puckering encounters while hunting elk or the elk we've lost to their dinner bells :lol:

Seeing as G bear numbers are healthier than ever, period, nobody should have an issue with any reason for wanting one at all. Animals don't keep animals in check without minimal human interference and seeing as human interference is greater than ever all over BC, this can be done through population management and more specifically by allowing hunters to do this.
Granola munchers, take note.

lip_ripper00
03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
because it just reminds me, I am not at the top of the food chain......!!

pmj
03-03-2013, 01:14 AM
How about.. I hunt grizzlies: Because no one wants to pay to relocate them to California or any other of the states that were traditional grizzlie territory. To remind them they are not the top of the food chain. Encourage them to avoid humans. To keep them from eating farm animals in Bella Cool. Discourage g-b from hanging out at the school play ground in Toad River. Save elk hunters from being eaten in the Kootenys. Make it safe for children to play in their back yard in M-U 7-49, 7-53, 7-54, 7-55, 7-56..... and numerous other areas along the Alaska Highway, Stewart Cassier. and Region 6.
I can't wait until the first grizz stumbles out of the woods in North Coquitlam in the new subdivisions on Burke Mountain. I want to see the bear aware coordinator and the manager of environmental services educate the people to co exist with the grizzly bears:roll: .

BCbillies
03-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Because I can . . . unfortunately now I have to bank on the fall LEH draw!

Gateholio
03-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Grizzly bear hunting can get intense. :)

That alone is reason enough. ;)

Weatherby Fan
03-03-2013, 07:52 AM
As Gatehouse put it above hunting something that can get very intense and or that can kill you as quick or quicker than you can kill it should peak ones interest, for me I would like to kill at least one in my lifetime, doesn't have to a record book bear but will have to appeal to me.

On top of that any day hunting is a good day.
WF

calvin L
03-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I have found that a grizzly hunt is one of the most enjoyable hunts there is .Relaxing even (then in a matter of 1 second the most intense hunt there is ) . I have filled one tag in my life . I also thought that one g bear would be enough for me also , that thought is gone now :-) after getting one lol. And the meat was fantastic
calvin L

000buck
03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Why ...... cause we got all the f bears and g was next on the list.

chilko
03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
There are guys all over the world who would give their left nut just for the opportunity. Sheep, goats, bison, grizzly are just a dream for most people and definitely worth experiencing.

Foxton Gundogs
03-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Grizzly bear hunting can get intense. :)

That alone is reason enough. ;)

I have never "hunted" G-bears. However I have accompnied many hunters who sucessfully have and even finished a few and as gate says very intense. That being said I just made a rough count and can truthfully say I have turned down at least 10 "sure" shots at good shootable(some VERY big) bears back when all you needed was the price of a tag, I had no intrest in laying one down. Now that its not quite that easy i put in for draws and wait. Life is funny sometimes:wink:

swampthing
03-03-2013, 09:29 AM
I am a hunter and thats what I do. Grizz hunting is also very exciting. I like to do it alone and the rush as well as the feeling of being at one in the wilds is something that cant be denied. I have a spring draw and actually have 2 people lined up to hunt with this year. My world has new meaning knowing a week in the wilds is in my near future. Thats what grizz hunting means to me. I have previously taken one Grizz.

sawmill
03-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I have taken two Grizz.One was a 9 foot 6 inch boar that I got done as a half mount,very impessive scary looking.The other was a 7 foot perfectly beauty silvertip with chocolate brown legs,got that one rugged.I never ate the meat,not even a wolverine would eat something that smelled that bad.I had to wash my hands with gasoline to get the stink off me.
So for 2 years they hung on my wall and I admired them.
Then my house burned down when I was at work and they were gone forever.Literally gone,could never breed and make more grizzlies.
And I thought to myself,Joe,you just killed those two for nothing.Complete total waste.I lost a lot of deer and moose mounts too but at least I ate the meat.I felt like shit,and still do.
I will never pull the pin again on a critter that I am not going to eat.
If I had not lost them to the fire I know I would feel differently about it but it happened and,no,never again will I willfully take an animal for the sake of it`s head on the wall.If I ain`t going to eat it then I ain`t going to kill it.

Fred1
03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Well put sawmill!

BromBones
03-03-2013, 09:44 AM
There's exciting, and there's grizzly bear exciting.

You can talk about everything else, but nothing compares to a great big bear.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Grizz_Hunt_2008_002.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/02-03-2008_12_45_15PM.JPG (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Grizz_Hunt_2_2010_042.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Easter_2011_Grizz_hunt_025.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Darren_s_Grizz_and_Blackie_028.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)

Stone Sheep Steve
03-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Getting pretty frustrated posting pics and not being able to move the curser where you need it to enter text.

For me grizzly hunting is right up there with sheep hunting. Not quite as physically demanding as sheep hunting but both are just as rewarding with regards to the country and the entire experience.

Have been in on 4 grizzly kills over the yrs but still have yet to tag a bear of my own. All trips have been great even when no tags are cut.

Have yet to eat a bad tasting grizzly bear.

If you haven't been in on a spring grizz hunt, you're missing out on something very special.

SSS

trapperRick
03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I have put in for G draw and so far 0 but when I do get one I will be using my black powder rifle to take him down

gutpile
03-03-2013, 09:04 PM
I have taken two Grizz.One was a 9 foot 6 inch boar that I got done as a half mount,very impressive scary looking.The other was a 7 foot perfectly beauty silvertip with chocolate brown legs,got that one rugged.I never ate the meat,not even a wolverine would eat something that smelled that bad.I had to wash my hands with gasoline to get the stink off me.
So for 2 years they hung on my wall and I admired them.
Then my house burned down when I was at work and they were gone forever.Literally gone,could never breed and make more grizzlies.
And I thought to myself,Joe,you just killed those two for nothing.Complete total waste.I lost a lot of deer and moose mounts too but at least I ate the meat.I felt like shit,and still do.
I will never pull the pin again on a critter that I am not going to eat.
If I had not lost them to the fire I know I would feel differently about it but it happened and,no,never again will I willfully take an animal for the sake of it`s head on the wall.If I ain't going to eat it then I ain't going to kill it.Sawmill if you didn't eat the griz it did not go to waste
the carcass you left in the bush didn't rot away some other animal had it's dinner.
plus it's a renewable resources.

Drillbit
03-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Well, l I know absolutly nothing about grizzly bear hunting so I was just wondering why you hunt them and why their so sought after. Do you hunt them for a rug, for meat, both, or just the expirience? I just want to add that im not against the hunt, im just curious. thanks

-Desire to hunt them because I mostly varmint/predator hunt and they are top of that list to me.

-Enjoy the experience & good times with buddies the most, the rug on the wall is a great reminder of the good times. After a long winter it's awesome to set up a camp and enjoy the spring blooming, till the bugs come.

-I kill bears to hopefully save a moose calf, then one day a might actually get to LEH a moose in BC. Karma.lol

-Have been on many hunts with buddies that had tags, memorable trips, gong-show excursions, that still get brought up all the time there was so many laughs.

-Finally got my own tag 2 years ago and got a nice one. Great hunt, and funny times with my Dad, the Fearless Guide and his "Bright White Sneakers!"

Casagrande
03-03-2013, 09:26 PM
Second last photo sure has a nice looking couloir to put some turns down! Care to mention where that is?

proguide66
03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
I STRONGLY suggest the hunt to ANYONE who calls themself a 'hunter'. There is no other game animal ( in my opinion) that gives you the same 'feeling' at the 'big moment'...nothing. Its deffinitely something to experience.
Bin in on over a dozen , 'tee'd off' on 3 of my own , missed a 4th on video , will post that hunt one day , crazy footage. Will I do it again? , used to think not...but...lol. LOVE to film another hunt though.

Caribou_lou
03-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I myself have harvested 2 grizzlies. Packed out 100 pounds of meat from both. I hunt them because we still can. Wildlife management. Time with family. Memories.

Marlin375
03-03-2013, 09:49 PM
...............I never ate the meat,not even a wolverine would eat something that smelled that bad.I had to wash my hands with gasoline to get the stink off me.

I am Interested in what made your Bears so rank. I have shot my share of Spring Black bears and eaten almost all of them, I don't remember them ever smelling bad. I have shot a few muleys that smelled way worse.

Do all grizzlys smell bad? Do you think your bears might have been rolling around with a dead horse or the like? Were they coastal fall fish bears, I have heard that fall bears can be hit or miss, depending on what they are eating. When did you get your bears?

I got a grizz draw this year, I have eaten grizzly before and enjoyed it, I will be a little dissapointed if I can't take home at least a portion of my bear if I get one.

BromBones
03-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I am Interested in what made your Bears so rank. I have shot my share of Spring Black bears and eaten almost all of them, I don't remember them ever smelling bad. I have shot a few muleys that smelled way worse.

Do all grizzlys smell bad? Do you think your bears might have been rolling around with a dead horse or the like? Were they coastal fall fish bears, I have heard that fall bears can be hit or miss, depending on what they are eating. When did you get your bears?

I got a grizz draw this year, I have eaten grizzly before and enjoyed it, I will be a little dissapointed if I can't take home at least a portion of my bear if I get one.

I remember him saying where he had taken his grizz - without being too specific, it was more coastal type habitat. Skunk cabbage and fish usually isn't the best diet for flavour. :) Lots of stinky bears taken up that way.

Gateholio
03-03-2013, 10:37 PM
If you want to eat your grizz, don't apply for a coastal LEH

Surrey Boy
03-03-2013, 11:31 PM

For the challenge. Haven't gotten a draw, but I have applied. The rug is a rare thing, and I'd like to hunt one while I still legally can.

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM
I STRONGLY suggest the hunt to ANYONE who calls themself a 'hunter'. There is no other game animal ( in my opinion) that gives you the same 'feeling' at the 'big moment'...nothing. Its deffinitely something to experience.
Bin in on over a dozen , 'tee'd off' on 3 of my own , missed a 4th on video , will post that hunt one day , crazy footage. Will I do it again? , used to think not...but...lol. LOVE to film another hunt though.

Hop on board. Gonna bring my bow and try and deflate one.

argyle1
03-04-2013, 06:41 AM
maybe you arent, but most hunters are--I agree that the bear is second tho

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Second last photo sure has a nice looking couloir to put some turns down! Care to mention where that is?

Not far from a heli-lodge. Not far at all. We were a just a tad early on that trip.

SSS

proguide66
03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Hop on board. Gonna bring my bow and try and deflate one.
Damn , I'm ALL OVER IT ! email me details !

Casagrande
03-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Not far from a heli-lodge. Not far at all. We were a just a tad early on that trip.

SSS
Zippermouth Creek, right?

xcaribooer
03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
I have never heard of someone shooting one cause they wanted to eat it.,..The only reasons I can think of are 1. for a trophy hunt (rug) (legal),2. a rancher protecting his livestock (legal) ,3. a hunter protecting himself (legal) or 4.just because there are too danm many of them (not legal).

03-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I have never heard of someone shooting one cause they wanted to eat it.

I have a friend in the Yukon who has shot quite a few and he says they are fantastic eating (as long as it is a berry or root bear).