PDA

View Full Version : spatsizi sheep

mike300
03-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone I drew a sheep tag for 6-20 any advice. I know i'am new to hbc but was looking for advice is the klappan river rd open or still washed out? is the Klappan river deep enough for a river boat to get up? Not looking for any hot spots but just some friendly advice. anybody else draw the same tag looking for a partner?

25tikka
03-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Klappan was washed out last fall. Will be interesting to see if the road gets fixed. Fly in or horses gives the best access.

killalot
03-02-2013, 11:51 PM
The Klappan was and still is washed out ... there was a river boat traveling up the river when I was there however his steering cable had broke ... when we pulled into camp they were hunting via quads and the boat was parked ... I heard the river was fairly skinny and a few log jams had made it difficult for them to make it back down the river with no steering cable and only a kicker to steer ... the river rises & drops fairly significantly with rain ...Not to scare you or deter you from you hunt but I was researching the area up there on the internet and a fellow has been missing up there from smithers ... from what I understand they still have not found him ... keep your gun loaded in the tent ... I think traveling with someone to this place is highly recomended ... Bless his soul ...

Best of luck on your hunt ... the area is very scenic !

03-03-2013, 01:43 PM
I think that river is pretty shallow and the bridge washout is a ways from a starting point for sheep. You can always check with the Tatogga lake resort for updates though. Also the friendly Indians like to sometimes block the road entirely but it has always been later in September when they have done that I believe. You could probably do it with horses no problem. I don't think there is going to be any float planes operating out of Tatogga and the next nearest would be dease lake - that would be a bit of a float plane bill.
The highway can also flood by beaver dam - so it's worth a call to Tatogga or bell II before leaving.
I Know, I'm full of good news

tinhorse
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
We quaded it last Fall (110 km back) and camped at km 140 I think?? old air strip back there anyways. There was a guy driving a suzuki sidekick on the road when I was there (oct 10 - 14). This spring I would think the road will be way too gone in places for even quads to drive in, horses maybe with some trail work on some steep side slopes. Very Very cool area, it was my first time in and hope not my last, but unless there is something done to the road access will be tough to say the least. We were also thinking boat but were told that there are a few shallow bouldery areas that would make it tough/dangerous, so we opted not to. Liek others have said, phone the lodges and gas station/store there and ask for info on the road and see if it is still quadable before you go. Good luck, hope that helps

killalot
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
You can drive right to the river , the river has washed out road beyond the bridge ... there is a boat launch right at the river bridge.

ryanb
03-03-2013, 03:03 PM
I have never run the Klappan in a boat, but I have flown over it on a few occasions. Hard to immagine getting all that far up it, and this is coming from someone who's definition of a runnable river is pretty flexible. It can get pretty small withou rain, fairly steep gradient and lots of boulders.

mike300
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the info on the road. Where would be the best place to fly into for a starting point? Looks like coldfish is a long hike to sheep.

fallhunter
08-14-2013, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=mike300;1296802]Hello everyone I drew a sheep tag for 6-20 any advice. I know i'am new to hbc but was looking for advice is the klappan river rd open or still washed out? is the Klappan river deep enough for a river boat to get up? Not looking for any hot spots but just some friendly advice. anybody else draw the same tag looking for a partner?[/QUOTE

hello are still headin up to 620 or did you leave already. drew for sheep myself. If still around
send me a line. my name is wade.

fallhunter
08-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Hello my name is wade drew for sheep aswell 620. Did you leave already. If not send me a line
ill check back.

mike300
08-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Leaving Saturday. Can't wait.

Everett
08-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Good luck hope to see a good story success or no success.

40incher
08-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Fly from Tatogga Lake, or wherever Alpine Air's base is, and go to Bug Lake. Hike up the horse trail to Cullivan Creek and hunt towards Cartmel Mountain. Fly to Coldfish Lake and head up the horse trail up Blackfox Creek and over the plateau to the headwaters of Marion Creek. Both good ram areas and a short flight.

digger dogger
08-15-2013, 08:07 AM
Tatogga to Coldfish=$2000 return..

Sounds like good info to me, from 40incher...