PDA

View Full Version : sending mesg. through new spots

trapman
03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
has anyone used the new spots with their iphones ,have heard good and bad more bad
Thanks

Boner
03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
I have not, but I tell you, the resolution is second to none. Very up to date in my area, and can zoom in close and clear.

KodiakHntr
03-02-2013, 05:33 PM
I have not, but I tell you, the resolution is second to none. Very up to date in my area, and can zoom in close and clear.
Pardon?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the spot simply for sending messages and calling for help? What do you mean by resolution?

warnniklz
03-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Pardon?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the spot simply for sending messages and calling for help? What do you mean by resolution?

I think he's talking about Spot Connect

Gateholio
03-02-2013, 05:52 PM
http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=116

KB90
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Have you looked at Delhorme Inreach ?

Same as spot but, it is 2 way messaging, pairs with your iphone or delhorme GPS.

I have one, used it last year sheep hunting, worked great! Was nice to get responses and know your family is receiving your messages.

Krico
03-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, technology is great sometimes...but the absolute last thing I want when I'm hunting in the middle of nowhere is to be receiving messages. The spot is ok to give the family peace of mind that I am still alive, but no way do I want daily updates on the everyday bull$hit I am out there trying to escape from!

I hope my wife never finds out about that Delhorme Inreach.

digger dogger
03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Have you looked at Delhorme Inreach ?

Same as spot but, it is 2 way messaging, pairs with your iphone or delhorme GPS.

I have one, used it last year sheep hunting, worked great! Was nice to get responses and know your family is receiving your messages.

I have one, and it's great.. KB90 gave me the idea to get one.
The only problem I had is that it wouldn't connect to my Iphone if the phone was cold...
I just put the phone in an inside pocket for 5-10 mins and it worked fine....

Boner
03-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Pardon?

Spot connect is what OP is asking about, they pair up with smart phones.

KodiakHntr
03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'm well aware of the tech, but you were talking about resolution? My understanding is that the new spot andthe inreach merely allow you to text..... Unless I'm missing something? What did you mean by zooming in?

Gateholio
03-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, technology is great sometimes...but the absolute last thing I want when I'm hunting in the middle of nowhere is to be receiving messages. The spot is ok to give the family peace of mind that I am still alive, but no way do I want daily updates on the everyday bull$hit I am out there trying to escape from!

you are missing the point. It's for texting your buddy to meet you with a case of beer. And he can ask if you also want whiskey!!

Buck
03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
He's talking about the screen resolution in the new iphones.Google and bing are very clear.
I use a spot connect and it works great .Only lost one checkin but i was in a canyon and never gave it the full 20 minutes to connect with the satellite.I believe you will get satellite anywhere if you wait a full 20 minutes.

boxhitch
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
no way do I want daily updates on the everyday bull$hit I am out there trying to escape fromfor some its hard to cut the apron strings. Mexicans are worst

he can ask if you also want whiskey!! a buddy wouldn't have to ask

Boner
03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Unless I'm missing something? What did you mean by zooming in?

Imagine google earth that zones in on your location but the satellite imagery is good and up to date.

outdoorsk
03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
I dont want to get off topic but what is the cost for the Spot. I am thinking of getting one but haven't done that much research on them.

Thanks

KodiakHntr
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Imagine google earth that zones in on your location but the satellite imagery is good and up to date.

Yeah, I pack my iPhone sheep hunting (well, I pack it everywhere, period), but are you trying to say the new spot allows you to connect to imagery when you are out of cell service?

Guess I just don't understand exactly what you are saying...... Or rather, how it pertains to a thread about the SPOT unit......

NovemberBravo
03-02-2013, 09:39 PM

I am pretty sure you do not keep the same number so really you can just give the number to people who you want to have it like say your hunting buddy who is meeting you. I know my dad used it on our fishing trip to get my cousin to bring us stuff but he was not constantly being harrased by texts.

outdoorsk
03-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I dont want to get off topic but what is the cost for the Spot. I am thinking of getting one but haven't done that much research on them.

Thanks Should of read it alittle better. What I meant to ask is what is the yearly cost for the Spot services.

Mountain Hunter
03-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Basically, SPOT connect unit runs around $150, then you need a subscription (basic ~$100 annually). Another few bucks for Tracking or Roadside assistance.

Seems to work fine. You can turn off the SPOT unit and your cell phone then power up everything later for sending messages (especially if you warmed up the cell phone in your pocket), and could get 10 days sending messages once or twice a day. Based on my use backpacking, definitely 5-7 days. You can add extras such as real time tracking (10 min intervals) if you wish, but would last 5-6 days (you can activate tracking on the SPOT unit and leave it on and then turn off your cell phone), then turn on your cell phone and send text messages whenever you want. You get 14 pre-defined messages (which you setup) in the basic subscription, or pay more for single texts (41 characters approx), or setup bundle packages. Another interesting feature is the ability to setup various groups beforehand (spouse only, friends only, or work contacts) and then send messages to those groups as you wish (able to choose in the field). Works great once you set it up and figure it out!

As for the side topic (not regarding SPOT) but with map resolution on iPhone, try loading Google Earth to an area you plan on visiting before you head out while in good cell coverage (zoom in as best you can to the area you plan on hunting), then don't mess around with it while you are driving (load only the area you plan on hunting). The iPhone will load that area and store it in the cache memory, then when you get out there turn on Google Earth and determine your GPS location (pointer in the lower left), the pointer should show up in fairly good resolution based on your phones memory cache. It won't load anymore data if you are out of cell coverage but should give you the lay of the land (such as cutblocks, creeks, alpine, roads, etc.) depending on your previous views. Works fairly well.

Buck
03-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Excellent summary MH I usually shut everything down to save power.I did not know i could activate tracking then turn the phone off.I will activate tracking this year.
As far as cutting the apron accidents happen and it's good to know i may get out alive.

Boner
03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I pack my iPhone sheep hunting (well, I pack it everywhere, period), but are you trying to say the new spot allows you to connect to imagery when you are out of cell service?

Guess I just don't understand exactly what you are saying...... Or rather, how it pertains to a thread about the SPOT unit......

The spot connect subscription allows you to access the great satellite imagery. When you turn on your spot connect, you connect to it using bluetooth on your smartphone and you can access the satellite imagery while you are hunting. And it shows you where you are on the imagery when you drop a pin. Think of the dropped pins as a cookie crumb trail. You can track where you came from.

And you don't need cell service to access the sat. imagery either which is the great thing.

outdoorsk
03-03-2013, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=Mountain Hunter;1296882]Basically, SPOT connect unit runs around $150, then you need a subscription (basic ~$100 annually). Another few bucks for Tracking or Roadside assistance.

Seems to work fine. You can turn off the SPOT unit and your cell phone then power up everything later for sending messages (especially if you warmed up the cell phone in your pocket), and could get 10 days sending messages once or twice a day. Based on my use backpacking, definitely 5-7 days. You can add extras such as real time tracking (10 min intervals) if you wish, but would last 5-6 days (you can activate tracking on the SPOT unit and leave it on and then turn off your cell phone), then turn on your cell phone and send text messages whenever you want. You get 14 pre-defined messages (which you setup) in the basic subscription, or pay more for single texts (41 characters approx), or setup bundle packages. Another interesting feature is the ability to setup various groups beforehand (spouse only, friends only, or work contacts) and then send messages to those groups as you wish (able to choose in the field). Works great once you set it up and figure it out!

As for the side topic (not regarding SPOT) but with map resolution on iPhone, try loading Google Earth to an area you plan on visiting before you head out while in good cell coverage (zoom in as best you can to the area you plan on hunting), then don't mess around with it while you are driving (load only the area you plan on hunting). The iPhone will load that area and store it in the cache memory, then when you get out there turn on Google Earth and determine your GPS location (pointer in the lower left), the pointer should show up in fairly good resolution based on your phones memory cache. It won't load anymore data if you are out of cell coverage but should give you the lay of the land (such as cutblocks, creeks, alpine, roads, etc.) depending on your previous views. Works fairly well.[/QUOTE Thanks Mountain Hunter. That clears up alot of info they don't give you in the sales ads.

KB90
03-03-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Krico http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1296662#post1296662)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by NovemberBravo http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1296792#post1296792)
I am pretty sure you do not keep the same number so really you can just give the number to people who you want to have it like say your hunting buddy who is meeting you. I know my dad used it on our fishing trip to get my cousin to bring us stuff but he was not constantly being harrased by texts.

In regards to the inreach, you are right.

It does not act like your cellphone.

You have to initiate the text, if you send someone a message they can message you back. You will not be receiving texts from people you did not message.

When I was sheep hunting last fall the unit would come out at camp during dinner, you could message your family, let them know all was well, they could respond with a simple good luck, or hope you are having fun, and you know %100 you are reaching your family. They understand it is not a cellphone but a safety tool.

On my first hunt we had a spot that was not working properly and nobody got any of our updates all week = Some pretty worried family.

I can't understand why it hasn't caught on more, the spot is nice, but for the reason I listed above Inreach wins hands down. It does everything the spot does with the added advantage of 2 way messaging. In an actual emergency/tricky situation think how valuable it would be to be able to explain your situation and have them respond back with any questions for clarification.

BlacktailStalker
03-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Pretty cool. Your cell battery will be your weakest link. Maybe HAVE to buy one of those goofy stoves that charges your phone too.