PDA

View Full Version : Timing for Grizz - Williston Lake area

Rackmastr
03-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Hey Guys,

Drew my first grizz tag around the Williston Lake area and am just in the middle of doing my planning, vacation, etc. I need to talk to the others on the trip to see what works best for them, but when looking at this from a 'hunting' perspective only, I want to ensure that I time my hunt as close to right as possible for snow melt, bear movement, access, etc.

I'm thinking May 24-Jun 4 is around the time frame that would work good. The other block of time would be Jun 1 - Jun 12.

Both blocks are the same amount of time and I hope would cover snow melt and bear movement well enough. I'm leaning on the earlier option with May 24-Jun 4 but just thought I'd check with you guys as well and people who have done the hunt in the past.

Lookin forward to this!! Let the countdown begin!

StoneChaser
03-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Always a crap shoot hunting spring grizz....snowed in access often clears up well after the slides have greened up (and the grizz have come & gone).

Bears will be out for sure, but can you get to them? I usually start too early and end up making a few trips into an area.

If forced to pick a date well in advance and going in blind, I would opt for the later date personally....I've been waist deep in snow on a logging road MANY MILES from the bears in late May on a few occasions.

trapman
03-01-2013, 07:24 PM
was up there last year may 12 and we were late ,the natives hunt a lot of spring moose up there .there were people all over hunting moose ,with all the human activaty we did not see one freash track .but lots 7 to 10 days old

03-01-2013, 07:51 PM
was up there last year may 12 and we were late ,the natives hunt a lot of spring moose up there .there were people all over hunting moose ,with all the human activaty we did not see one freash track .but lots 7 to 10 days old

spring moose hunting? I can't politely express how pissed off hearing that makes me.

BromBones
03-01-2013, 08:04 PM
spring moose hunting? I can't politely express how pissed off hearing that makes me.

Pretty common in areas where there is easy access. North of the Fort & up through past Germanson.

Seen quite a few moose and the odd caribou get taken in May. I guess a guy could shoot wolves off the gutpiles :)

Hammerhead
03-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Trapman beat me to that one. Ya the natives are in ther as soon as the road clears enough to get thru hunting moose, grouse etc. we were in 7-40 around Fort Ware and Tsay Keh and as Trapman said there was sign there but we were too late. Not sure what area you are in but good luck.
HH

Rackmastr
03-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys....pretty hard guessing with snow melt for sure!!

emerson
03-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Always a crap shoot hunting spring grizz....snowed in access often clears up well after the slides have greened up (and the grizz have come & gone).

Bears will be out for sure, but can you get to them? I usually start too early and end up making a few trips into an area.
What he says, last year I was to early to get in far enough in 7-39. It was the May long weekend I think.
If forced to pick a date well in advance and going in blind, I would opt for the later date personally....I've been waist deep in snow on a logging road MANY MILES from the bears in late May on a few occasions.
What he says, last year I was to early to get in far enough in 7-39. It was the May long weekend I think

BCHunterFSJ
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Been there, done that on a number of occasions myself... Go for the later date for sure!

Camp Cook
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
I'd go in around May 28 come out June 7/8...

grizzhunter64
03-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the input so far guys....pretty hard guessing with snow melt for sure!!

1st 2 weeks in May are the best, be patient and glass all day, you might not see bear for 4-6 days but they will be there. I'm headed out May 3rd for 11 days, buddy got 8.9 square with 24.9 skull officially last year and one just shy of book 2 years before. Very little snow pack this year, they'll be out early for sure and good luck!

BlacktailStalker
03-02-2013, 04:58 PM
1st 2 weeks in May are the best, be patient and glass all day, you might not see bear for 4-6 days but they will be there. I'm headed out May 3rd for 11 days, buddy got 8.9 square with 24.9 skull officially last year and one just shy of book 2 years before. Very little snow pack this year, they'll be out early for sure and good luck!

What defines too late, do the bears leave the slides and disappear ? If you can't get to the slides at the back end of the valleys, you wouldn't be too late would you ?

Surrey Boy
03-02-2013, 10:54 PM
It's looking to be an early breakup this year; don't worry too much about access.

swampthing
03-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Snow can be a bitch. I was lucky enough to time my north of williston hunt so that I was just barely able to bust through the last bit of melting snow. That was the last few days of may. Although I didnt take a bear I saw 2.

MacMtnHunter
03-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Hey, Sorry I might have missed this but what area did you get drawn for? I got a 7-40 griz draw this year, pretty stoked. I am planning for the first part of may. Probably an extended trip, maybe up to 10 days. I live in Mackenzie so it's not too far out of the way for me. We've been having some earlyish spring weather this year so I would anticipate going a little earlier. I'm in the bush up there for work so I'll keep an eye out for ya if you are interested. If you want to let me know what MU as well I could probably peg down some more specific areas for you too. Anyways, let me know if you are interested.

ram hunter
03-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I have been up north half a dozen times the best time I have found was in the middle of may. I have taken three grizz or the years all over 7' my best was last year made book 8'2 shot on may 21 my first grizz was shot may 5 just lucky that year way to much snow and one was shot end of the season I hope this helps

Rackmastr
03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey, Sorry I might have missed this but what area did you get drawn for? I got a 7-40 griz draw this year, pretty stoked. I am planning for the first part of may. Probably an extended trip, maybe up to 10 days. I live in Mackenzie so it's not too far out of the way for me. We've been having some earlyish spring weather this year so I would anticipate going a little earlier. I'm in the bush up there for work so I'll keep an eye out for ya if you are interested. If you want to let me know what MU as well I could probably peg down some more specific areas for you too. Anyways, let me know if you are interested.

Thanks Todd.

Appreciate all the insight and suggestions. I've considered even going earlier at May 16-27th but not sure I'd be too early there for access and snow. Was thinking a good 'compromise' date would be 24th till June 4th and hope that access is good and I'm not too late and everythings not all greened up in the trees, etc. I'm not sure about timing a hunt 'too late' up there but it has crossed my mind.

swampthing
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
May see you when I am passin through.

BlacktailStalker
03-05-2013, 09:08 PM
The more I am hearing the more it sounds like a bit early is far better than a tiny bit late, if you want to spot them gorging themselves in the slides. Once they drop into lush veg on the flats its a crap shoot as to if you will see them and they also move around a LOT more.

Rackmastr
03-05-2013, 09:25 PM
The more I am hearing the more it sounds like a bit early is far better than a tiny bit late, if you want to spot them gorging themselves in the slides. Once they drop into lush veg on the flats its a crap shoot as to if you will see them and they also move around a LOT more.

Ya that was my only concern really, is finding them out on the fresh slides. However, GETTING to the slides was my big concern about snow melt and road conditions.

I dont THINK I'll be late at May 24-Jun4...but I guess thats what all this planning stuff is all about haha

BromBones
03-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Used to go up there on the long weekend in May and stay for 10 days. Was always pretty good timing and lots of action.

I went up one year on the 29th of April as well. Lots of snow still but the bears were out and about, just hard to get to.

NORTHERN HUNTER
03-05-2013, 10:29 PM
I live right on Williston lake. PM me if you want info. I can give you info on MU's 7-37 through 7-41

swampthing
03-07-2013, 08:28 AM
I live right on Williston lake. PM me if you want info. I can give you info on MU's 7-37 through 7-41

Good to know. Thanks.

Rackmastr
03-21-2013, 06:40 AM
TTT.....work is looking for some commitments, and I'm still tossing ideas around on dates!

Have started looking at May 16-27th or May 24-Jun4th. It seems as if its a 'low' snow year but with the big dump they just had up there its a true 'guess' whether it will be warmed up early or late.

Man I cant wait for this hunt!