PDA

View Full Version : 4-39 spring grizz

Wrj
02-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Here's my dumb question of the day. Got a 4-39 (west side Revelstoke lake) draw, the leh hunt code details say season is from April 1- June 15. I assumed the gave you a few weeks or ten days that they predetermine for each tag??. Or can I hunt g bear in that mu for 2 1/2 months.....silly questions that only need to be asked once ha ha. Thanks

wrj

sarnold
02-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Hunt your heart out.....u can hunt everyday that your leh tag is good for...

Wrj
02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Quick response, thanks! Looks like an area that needs a few weeks of hard hunting!

seymourpats1
02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Remember the top of the pass can get 20 plus feet of snow. Seymour arm still has snow sometimes in may, my family has a home there, and I don't apply because its just to much snow up there.

Dannybuoy
02-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Might want to think about boat access ? I believe lot of those roads on that side of the lake were accessed by barging the logging equipment across although I have never explored up that side of the lake on roads out of Revelstoke ...

seymourpats1
02-28-2013, 06:30 PM
If I were to hunt there in spring that might be the best way. I've had moose draws in 439 twice and was unable to get over pettipiece pass both times, several feet of snow. Theres no low ground in that region except by the Columbia. To make matters worse, a few years the road from craiglachie to the power lines has had bridge washouts. Hope for a really early spring lol

sarnold
02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Pm me I have spend lots of time on the west side of revy lake!!! I can give u some input:)

02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Pm me I have spend lots of time on the west side of revy lake!!! I can give u some input:)

You are one the reasons this site is as good at it is...........been helped out myself a few times by guys on here and have returned the favour....makes for good hunting karma.

seymourpats1
02-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Have you been able to get over on the power line to revvy lake!! in spring? I've only tried from Seymour arm. I've seen nice grizzly on power line in fall

sarnold
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
No we always access across revy lake.....there's some nice g-bears around there:)....

seymourpats1
02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
That sounds like a good way to do it. Hopefully you can help wrj out. That country in there is some of my favourite in BC

sarnold
03-01-2013, 12:06 AM
I couldn't agree more:)!!!!!
great camping/hunting/fishing in such a beautiful area!

seymourpats1
03-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Do u ever travel up the lines toward Seymour? Great history there. Was one of the routes to big bend gold rush, rumour has it they even shipped a slate pool table over the pass. Residents of Seymour go artifact hunting while getting berries in summer

Dannybuoy
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
No we always access across revy lake.....there's some nice g-bears around there:)....
Do you take quads across on a barge or go on foot ? .... The mrs and I have been up most of the lake by boat (not hunting) . There is a guiding outfit up closer to mica that has a real nice set-up cabins etc . We have spent a few nights along the shores of the lake up there ...great country !

Dannybuoy
03-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Do u ever travel up the lines toward Seymour? Great history there. Was one of the routes to big bend gold rush, rumour has it they even shipped a slate pool table over the pass. Residents of Seymour go artifact hunting while getting berries in summer
Hrm ... might have to put this on my to-do list !

Rodd
03-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Good area, have glassed G-bears from my boat trolling for Bull Trout/Rainbows in the spring. I'm guessing, as with many areas near there, that the last week of the season will be PRIME time! Maybe with an early spring, last 2 weeks... Know a guy, who guided for the outfitter there and has taken a G-Bear as well. But you'll likely have some competition from the G/O. As he does have a nice camp across the Revy Lake. Bring your fishing poles.

Wrj
03-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks again for all the tips/info! And yes, people willing to help a little deserve a lot of credit for making this site great!

seymourpats1
03-01-2013, 11:46 AM
I've never been on east side of revvy lake, the gold deposits were mostly around downie creek,? I believe there is a campsite there?might be a good launch off spot, there is a barge landing nearby as well,sArnold could help with that. On the west side of lake in 4-39 about two mile north of downie there is an awesome valley. Its been logged years ago, lots a steep little roads. Even on foot I think this valley would be a good start. I haven't my maps in front of me they are at Seymour arm. I'm working in Edmonton. I'm sure you've Google earthed it, you'll see the valley I mean. Pm if you got questions

sarnold
03-01-2013, 08:13 PM
We barge our quads across on a homemade barge. A while back we harvested 6 bull moose in 6 years.....the last few years have been really slim pickings though...I can email someone a pic to post of our barge:)...the guide hunts that area hard.....he has a barge/boat that has a quad on it and they cover a ton of ground.......

Stone Sheep Steve
03-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Chainsaw, sledge hammer, spikes and a few hours and you're in business.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Archery_Moose_2006_001.jpg

RiverOtter
03-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Too cool SSS, you're the MAN........:-D

sarnold
03-02-2013, 01:43 PM
That works:)
Our barge is two tin boats Teathered together by two pecker pole trees boats facing opposite directions about 2.5ft between them, ramp the quad onto the one boat that doesn't have a motor...it's super sturdy and works great!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Too cool SSS, you're the MAN........:-D

Actually, my Dad is the man. 45 plus yrs in the logging industry teaches you a thing or two. He went up early and built this the day before I arrived. This was for moose season but a grizz wouldn't know the difference:-D.

He also built a bigger one to haul my uncle's argo 25 miles down the lake to trap an area that hadn't been trapped in 40 yrs.
Just make sure you choose your weather window wisely in that country.

SSS

Rackmastr
03-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Very cool barge!

seymourpats1
03-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Chainsaw, sledge hammer, spikes and a few hours and you're in business.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Archery_Moose_2006_001.jpg
I thought a few forestry road bridges were missing some timber steve:-D

RiverOtter
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Actually, my Dad is the man. 45 plus yrs in the logging industry teaches you a thing or two. He went up early and built this the day before I arrived. This was for moose season but a grizz wouldn't know the difference:-D.

He also built a bigger one to haul my uncle's argo 25 miles down the lake to trap an area that hadn't been trapped in 40 yrs.
Just make sure you choose your weather window wisely in that country.

SSS

I mighta logged a couple few days in that country myself......:wink:

You ain't kidding about choosing your weather window, I've got some lake pictures taken from my falling patch 3/4's the way up the mountain and you can clearly see the white caps. Logging trucks rolling onto the landing 45 minutes later with "High Water" marks on their smoke stacks, was a pretty good indication of what the view from the lake was like.........:mrgreen:

My first shift, after riding a barge 40 minutes to our logging road was interesting enough. When the crummy rolled into camp, the bush foreman walks up and says, "What do you think so far?"

I shrugged and said, "Looks like a logging camp...."

"Well, you can quit," says the foreman with a grin. "But ya can't go home?"

Still love that country.....

seymourpats1
03-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Hey Wrj . The guide on revelstke lake is monashee outfitting. They have a nice website, thought you might wanna look at there pictures. If you haven't already, some nice bears, and moose. With some searching you'll see the camp along the lake below gordon horn peak. Might be good to know where they are

Wrj
03-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Hey Wrj . The guide on revelstke lake is monashee outfitting. They have a nice website, thought you might wanna look at there pictures. If you haven't already, some nice bears, and moose. With some searching you'll see the camp along the lake below gordon horn peak. Might be good to know where they are
ya, thanks seymourpats1. I've already seen their webpage, nice little operation they got going. Nice animals harvested too! How territorial do outfitters get? I've heard of some guides getting down right upset that there are other people legally hunting anywhere near them, obviously I'm not THAT guy that's going to hang around or make noise when I happen to bump into other hunters in the bush. A friendly wave and on my way! Maybe I should fire up a few flares and mark my territory every few hours :twisted:

(joking!)

seymourpats1
03-03-2013, 09:12 AM
There's a lot of territory there, I can't imagine he'd have that many tags for grizzly? Probably more of a problem in moose season.is float over, pick a drainage and set up there. My dad had problems with guides in kootneys years ago. They kept cutting trees onto trail.eventually forestry made the guide clean it up. This guy at revvy lake seems to be tucked away , lots a room. How many tags were there for region?

Wrj
03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
There's a lot of territory there, I can't imagine he'd have that many tags for grizzly? Probably more of a problem in moose season.is float over, pick a drainage and set up there. My dad had problems with guides in kootneys years ago. They kept cutting trees onto trail.eventually forestry made the guide clean it up. This guy at revvy lake seems to be tucked away , lots a room. How many tags were there for region?

19 tags. There's tons of square footage there, I'm sure we wont have any problems finding seclusion! I didn't see if anyone answered this, but does anyone know if there's a local "ferry" guy that charges to skiff across a few quads? Option 2, I'm going to need my chainsaw, sledge-hammer, and spikes ha ha

seymourpats1
03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Well 19 tags is a fair bit, but there is a lotta room. I think the barge idea is best, its real iffy to come over the pass, I'd never given it much thought before, but getting jealous now. Lol, I look forward to hearing about your adventure. My guess is only guys you see came across the lake.

sarnold
03-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Wrj message me your email I found some pics of our set up....it's really easy and fast:)