PDA

View Full Version : 7-41 help, drew a G Bear area I never applied for??

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
How I drew this I have absolutely no idea.
Kind of annoyed actually because the area I did apply for as 2nd choice is a guaranteed draw basically and they managed to screw that up.
This leh system we have is f'd, i was on the fence before but now I'm convinced.
I can't draw a tag and when I do it's one I didn't put in for ( no I didn't check the box for a substitute hunt etc)

So anyways I drew hunt code 3186 in 7-41. Anyone have any info on this place ?

BiG Boar
02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
the area I did apply for as 2nd choice is a guaranteed draw basically

There is no way of knowing what your second choice odds are. Even if it is 0.3:1

How do you know that 100 people didn't also put that as their second draw?

Here is something interesting:

3186 Omineca 7-41 Apr 15-June 15 number of draws estimated before the allocation 3 @ 0.1:1

3186 Omineca 7-41 Apr. 15 - June 15 number of actual draws given out 90

What that says to me is, no one wanted to hunt there last spring, and only 3 tags were given out, so bears are rare, and its really hard to access, or there are tons of bears and they are so easy to get that they can only give out 3 tags. Either way, something seems screwy, as they said they were going to give out 3 tags, and actually gave out 90.

Good luck either way. Hunt hard.

Boner
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Hahahaha holy cripes that's in the middle of nowhere without a helicopter!

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Exactly. Waste of tag. Thanks for nothing leh ! Probably something to do with politics to be sending 90 people where they will maybe never get a bear. And with FN issues who's gonna chance getting in there, travelling all that way just to waste a grand on expenses (for me leaving the island)
Not likely.

if the area can support 90 tags or even a quarter of that why is it on leh? Something is seriously wrong with the system.

BiG Boar
02-28-2013, 02:41 PM
This REALLY makes me MAD!!!

I HATE people that ask for LEH help without scouting the area. You should have done some research before not putting in for this zone. Now you find out the access sucks? You should have at least talked to someone who hasn't been there before, and who has not put in for this area. You suck.

just hunt
02-28-2013, 02:56 PM
it has great access what the hell are you guys talking about.
akie river road goes aways up there .
check out some maps my god i wish i would have got that one!

huntcoop
02-28-2013, 03:05 PM
This REALLY makes me MAD!!!

I HATE people that ask for LEH help without scouting the area. You should have done some research before not putting in for this zone. Now you find out the access sucks? You should have at least talked to someone who hasn't been there before, and who has not put in for this area. You suck.

x2, do some homework on the area that you didn't put in for, jerk. You're just taking a tag away from someone else :mrgreen:

Wild one
02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Don't know anything about the area my self but had a customer who was successful on grizz there in the past.

It may be worth the trip just do the best research you can first.

604redneck
02-28-2013, 03:20 PM
U clearly checked yes on "the box" lol you will get a bear just hunt hard

Brett
02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
7-41 is a golden ticket for grizz!! I will gladly take it off your hands!! Moosin worked up there for 3 springs/summers and saw huge bears!! Lucky bugger!

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
7-41 is a golden ticket for grizz!! I will gladly take it off your hands!! Moosin worked up there for 3 springs/summers and saw huge bears!! Lucky bugger!

Yeah ? Good stuff then this is what I need to know. Like I said in the past I put in for LEH in areas I've been or have info on but this one is neither of the two. Be a shame to waste the tag if it is decent. Frustrating, I just want to draw an area I apply for and I can't LOL. I will pm moosin, thanks !

Maybe someone else has this draw on here, that wants to partner up.

decker9
02-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Hunted sheep up there last fall, thats a guarentied bear right there. Do your homework and talk to the Indians and RCMP before hand tho, if you leave your truck it might not be there when u get back! I'll be putting a fall draw in for sure!

decker9
02-28-2013, 03:39 PM
http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/F92C9CBC-9B95-492C-A208-865445A9D82E-4276-0000023BD57E09BB_zpsab16d58a.jpg

The bear ill be looking for this fall if I get a 7-41 draw!!

Brett
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Moosinaround is sitting here..... he knows some people up that way, should be able to point you in a straight line. Decker looks to have some lintel as well ;)

Boner
02-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Someone should pull up that video posted last year on how to ID grizzly bears. It was a great video, hopefully it pops up again. I learned a lot from it.

huntcoop
02-28-2013, 04:24 PM
...Do your homework and talk to the Indians and RCMP before hand tho, if you leave your truck it might not be there when u get back...

Well that's reassuring, what a joke.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Well that's reassuring, what a joke.

Def one of the concerns here.
There have been more threads on problems in this area than any other area in BC.

TexasWalker
02-28-2013, 04:41 PM
Indians, if you leave your truck it might not be there when u get back!

This is your major concern!!!!
The bear will come easy.

I'd leave your fancy f350 at home for this one.
Drive the tracker up there at least you can hide it in the bush somewhere.

Good luck and bring a bunch of cheap booze for barter/ransom.

Royal Rezerve is like gold.

huntcoop
02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
The bear will come easy.

Sounds like the stewards of the land have some problems... sad yet typical.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 04:59 PM
The bear will come easy.

tracker isnt going to tow the tracked quads and wall tent very well. I think a skinned grizz would take up the whole back!
This is what is annoying, an area unknown with issues like this, who wants that kind of b.s on a hunt. Tough one. Lots of time yet though.

Boner
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
I'd be asking if anyone's logging in the area, and how good the road is at the time you want to go. My area, I can't get in until June if no one's logging in there. Mind you I have tracks too, but they're only good for so far....

Brett
02-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Like I said Moosinaround knows people up there.......

Dirty
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Drive north then rent a truck in PG. Problem solved. Who cares if a rental truck is vandalized that is what insurance is for. Also if it is stolen they will probably have to deliver another.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Drive north then rent a truck in PG. Problem solved. Who cares if a rental truck is vandalized that is what insurance is for. Also if it is stolen they will probably have to deliver another.

this is a good idea.

The Dawg
02-28-2013, 07:59 PM
You can leave your truck at my place.

.330 Dakota
02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Actually,,if you go straight to the band office and ask for permission to hunt on their land, they will bend over backwards to help you when you need it. Being respectfull gets you a long way in 7-41. I know a fellow that hunted there for griz a few years back and thats the approach he took, and had a great hunt, no hassles,,,just gotta watch for drunks rippin down the roads.
When you get to the band office, everyone in the village will know your there, and they will know you asked for permission, and they wont wreck your truck,,,people I have heard of that had issues didnt ask, and they are looked upon as trespassers

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Actually,,if you go straight to the band office and ask for permission to hunt on their land, they will bend over backwards to help you when you need it. Being respectfull gets you a long way in 7-41. I know a fellow that hunted there for griz a few years back and thats the approach he took, and had a great hunt, no hassles,,,just gotta watch for drunks rippin down the roads.
When you get to the band office, everyone in the village will know your there, and they will know you asked for permission, and they wont wreck your truck,,,people I have heard of that had issues didnt ask, and they are looked upon as trespassers

Very valuable information here, thanks a lot.
I think I would call in advance and appear in person to be sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Shoot a g-bear, save a few moose. You should be welcomed if you go about it properly.

SSS

Rackmastr
02-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Sounds like solid advice from 330Dakota. I think if you made the trek up there and played it right, you could get into some very good bear action. I've spent time in 7-38, 7-39, and 7-40 and although very remote, a guy can get into some good hunting up there. The rental truck idea aint a bad one for a couple reasons. Main ones would be poor road conditions and vehicle abuse. Course having an extra spare would be my only concern with a rental.

chinookkiller
02-28-2013, 09:02 PM
been there once,the FN live that area will give your lots of trouble!

The Hermit
02-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Taking your new crossbow or going to wuss out and take it with the rifle? ;-)

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2013, 09:34 PM
I dont have a crossbow ? Probably pack the bow along, if the scenario is right I would use it sure. Hell we were going to hound one and kill it bayed up at 20 yards not too worried about using a bow !

drgame
02-28-2013, 09:46 PM
I got a grizz there two years ago. Awesome trip and had no problems. PM and i will lead you in the right direction

dingdongdenny
03-01-2013, 10:11 AM
was up there for moose a few yrs ago,long haul by gravel from mckenzie but did see a few bears. Didn't have any trouble with the natives, but didn't get to the north end were i think there is more of a problem.we were 7-37 but went 7-41 for elk as well.

tater
03-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Contact the Band Office at Kwadacha. They will have their biologist call you. Checking in with the band is a great way to show respect, and i have always enjoyed my time in 7-41 and never had a problem. Let them know where you will be, and be respectful if you encounter elders gathering bear root and other medicinals.

Chief Van Somer and his band councillors have always been gracious.

.330 Dakota
03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Contact the Band Office at Kwadacha. They will have their biologist call you. Checking in with the band is a great way to show respect, and i have always enjoyed my time in 7-41 and never had a problem. Let them know where you will be, and be respectful if you encounter elders gathering bear root and other medicinals.

Chief Van Somer and his band councillors have always been gracious.

This advice is the most valuable thing said here yet,,knowing the Chief is going to make your trip much more enjoyable,,and I would be willing to bet the band members would point you in the right direction if they see a bear or two in their travels,,respect and friendly relations never hurt anyone

tater
03-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I actually was introduced to Chief Van Somer when i went to Kwadacha to check in with the band biologist prior to starting a moose hunt a few years ago. The bio had been called out, but we were invited to the Chief's home to check in, and to discuss where we were planning on hunting, the Band's concerns around previous incidents with Southerners (who had wasted game, interfered with traplines, and used traditional Band campsites and them left them full of litter).

He spent an hour with us, talking everything from places to chase moose to hunting elk in the Koots. He was amazed and grateful that we would drive that far out of our way to check in and show respect.

His son actually came stopped by our camp the next week to make sure everything was going well, and to make sure that we felt welcomed. I have never had an issue with any of the locals.

As an aside, you MUST have a VHF radio for that road going in from Mackenzie. It is fast and narrow, and the ore trucks fly.

David Heitsman
03-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Call the Hammets at Sikkani River Outfitters. If the snow melts out in time, he can fly you into the Akie for G'bear. Don't have a map with me as I'm chasing birdies in SoCal right now but i think Warrens at Tuchodi River might be able to horse you over to parts of 7:41 as well. The challenge for spring in there is too much snow to get around after them.