PDA

View Full Version : Give ONE sheep hunting tip

02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Spring is in the air, and I am starting to think about sheep hunting again (I guess I actually never stopped).

From the experienced sheep hunters to the never-been sheep hunters...can you provide one pearl of wisdom that may help these new guys?

02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
You can never glass to much ........ never.

Learn to judge or score, don't count on annuli no pun intended ........ do the WSSBC test SEVERAL TIMES !!

Don't shoot a squeaker .

Good luck

CT

Wild Images
02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Learn how to cape and take care of your trophy !

Just because you glassed a hill doesn't mean there isn't a ram there, keep looking

bighornbob
02-28-2013, 11:33 AM
No matter what people (non sheep hunters) tell you, get and use two hiking poles while climbing and decending hills.

BHB

vip_ruger
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Make sure your boots are broken in and that they are good mountain boots . Your feet are your live line when back in the remote mountains of bc

Brez
02-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Make sure your boots are broken in and that they are good mountain boots . Your feet are your live line when back in the remote mountains of bc

X2 - repeating above because it's important
best boots you can afford.
stay dry.
sheep appear out of nowhere - be patient. We got our rams last year because we were too tired to hike any more and just glassed for hours.
learn to cape - bring salt.

Apolonius
02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Work on the physical side yes but more than anything...the mental side.You have to be mentally prepared.And learn to judge .Without it you will be another thread on this site..and not a pleasant one.And read all you can get your hands on.And like everyone said"let your yes do the walking".

huntcoop
02-28-2013, 12:21 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EZ4YG7J6L._SY300_.jpg

BiG Boar
02-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Bring a piece of foam mat to sit on. With all this Glassing, you'll thank me when your partner complains of a cold, sore arse.

Patience is number 2. Just because you see a legal sheep does not mean run towards it. Sometimes it's better not to move, until they're out of sight

IronNoggin
02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
If Dall Sheep are the target, wear WHITES regardless of the time of year.
And don't be overly shy on your approach.
I've gotten well within camera range of many good Dalls, simply by wearing whites and approaching them on a tangent while bent over a tad at the waist.
Seems they perceive you to be another of their own...

Cheers,
Nog

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Bring a piece of foam mat to sit on. With all this Glassing, you'll thank me when your partner complains of a cold, sore arse.

Why? Because he'll come and snuggle up to you??:mrgreen:

A sheep hunt is no place to test new unproven gear. Do that before you go.

Never give up. It's a looooooooog time until next year's hunt. If you do, you'll have a bitter taste in your mouth all year.

SSS

proguide66
02-28-2013, 01:25 PM
You will never attain 'god status' from killing a mountain sheep so try not to get confused !:razz::lol:

KodiakHntr
02-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Never give up..... If you do, you'll have a bitter taste in your mouth all year.

SSS

That's almost sigline worthy right there...... :)

BiG Boar
02-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Ew, you'd let a dude snuggle up to you?

I said hunting partner, mine is a female.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Female?? Or is that your reflection while wearing your scottish skirt??:-D

SSS

BiG Boar
02-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Female?? Or is that your reflection while wearing your scottish skirt??:-D

SSS

Speaking of great tips.

SHACK
02-28-2013, 04:18 PM
A gatoraid bottle of whiskey is worth the wieght :)

bruin
02-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Tent footprints make great lightweight tarps that are much more affordable than siltarps

MacMtnHunter
02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
A gatoraid bottle of whiskey is worth the wieght :)

You can bet your boots!

Too much talk of dudes and dudes wearing skirts...

02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Great advice so far!

Apolonius
02-28-2013, 05:04 PM
The best advice? take all advice with a grain of salt...or a bag.

BromBones
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Get a good dog and teach him how to pack. Best hunting partners you can get.

North
02-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Always keep your head up when hiking. Stop and glass each new piece or terrain that comes into vision.

If you spot the sheep before they spot you the chances of success are in your favor. Use two poles while hiking with your head up so you don't trip and fall all the time.

Big7
02-28-2013, 07:16 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EZ4YG7J6L._SY300_.jpg
You beat me to it!!!!

MadCat
02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Remember sheep hunting isn't just about the kill. It's about the great country your in. A kill isnt the only thing that makes the trip a success.

kennyj
02-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Make sure your rifle is still shooting straight when you get to your spot!
kenny

kennyj
02-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Remember sheep hunting isn't just about the kill. It's about the great country your in. A kill isnt the only thing that makes the trip a success.
Thank goodness for that.
kenny

Nimrod
02-28-2013, 08:19 PM
No question the best tip! along with this goes... Make sure your body is used to carrying load, spine can handle load, your knees and ankles can handle load and for sure you feet can handle load...especially when hot ,wet, swollen day after day....only one way to ensure this.

boxhitch
02-28-2013, 08:29 PM
can you provide one pearl of wisdom that may help these new guys? For F Sake !!!! learn what is a legal ram and have the balls to pass on the maybes !

358mag
02-28-2013, 08:33 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MadCathttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1295667#post1295667)

Thank goodness for that.
kenny
Kenny just to bad that 1/2 the users on line have no idea what you or MadCat are talking about .To them its all about the kill and standing on a soap box pounding there chest with the look at me I am a rock star attitude.Enjoy yourself in our great country sit back take a deep breath and think theres dudes paying $30,000.00 +that are not having the same fun that your are .

Kitimat Killer
02-28-2013, 09:53 PM
The best trips are when you go up and come back home safetly if you get a ram
Well hey that's a bonus

Kk

ram hunter
02-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Hunt hard enjoy the scenery be safe and if luck goes your way u might come home with a ram

325 wsm
03-01-2013, 07:15 AM
food and water is usually better for sheep in the North facing basins and slopes in August

bigwhiteys
03-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Know how to judge a ram. http://bchuntingblog.com/blog/2012/06/16/judging-stones-sheep-in-the-field/

358mag
03-02-2013, 03:02 PM
For F Sake !!!! learn what is a legal ram and have the balls to pass on the maybes !
X2 on that on
But that takes away all the fun of the underage, undersize, mercy killing threads !!

bugler
03-02-2013, 04:54 PM
For you bowhunters. If you want to get a ram with your bow, leave your rifle at home.

Krico
03-02-2013, 06:13 PM
If your buddy has a sense of humour, hide beer in his pack when he's not looking. They are extra delicious after a long day in the mountains!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/fishmanning/100_1083_zps180b1da1.jpg

Yes I know Miller Chill is a sad excuse for beer but I was afraid glass bottles of Innis and Gunn might clank and then he'd be on to me...these were laying around in the garage...

SKYLINE
03-02-2013, 06:35 PM
If your buddy has a sense of humour, hide beer in his pack when he's not looking. They are extra delicious after a long day in the mountains!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/fishmanning/100_1083_zps180b1da1.jpg

Yes I know Miller Chill is a sad excuse for beer but I was afraid glass bottles of Innis and Gunn might clank and then he'd be on to me...these were laying around in the garage...

Nice work. Often talked about but hard to pull off! Probably could have put a sixer in that MR 7500!!!

aggiehunter
03-02-2013, 07:02 PM
funny you ask...I had a teary eyed 82 year old give me the best sheep hunting advice just last week...take another guy with you and your hunting partner who does not have a sheep tag....

BCbillies
03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Choose your partner(s) very carefully . . . and leave the granola (nonhunter) at home!

moose2
03-02-2013, 07:51 PM
-pay close attention to the sound of falling rocks, it may be frost pushing them off, but in alot of cases small slides are started by animals on the move
Mike

Jim Prawn
03-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Be prepared to hike thru a lot of crap to get where the sheep are. My first trip was a real mental grind despite being told over and over about how thick and shitty it can be getting above the tree line. Was honestly ready to turn around several times in the 13 hours it took us to get on top of a sheep hill. Now that I know whats there, I cant wait to get back this year - I just hope the two "maybes" we saw have survived the last two years, they'll be "for sures" now!
Good Luck.
JP

moose2
03-02-2013, 07:57 PM
funny you ask...I had a teary eyed 82 year old give me the best sheep hunting advice just last week...take another guy with you and your hunting partner who does not have a sheep tag....

That could back fire if the going gets tough. Its the chance of a ram that keeps alot of guys pushing on, without that some guys might want to quit early. I have seen it on other species, once a partner tags out all they think about is getting home.
Mike

Call of the Wild
03-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Bring a pair of light winter gloves, which will keep your hands warm on cold and windy days. It prevents me from shaking and I can stay focus glassing. Not a must item but I find glassing with gloves much more enjoyable and efficient due to stable binos.

Rattler
03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Glass, glass, and glass some more. Recommend using your spotter to break apart hillsides. Study sheep behavior once you see them and learn the 'likely' spots to find rams.

mwj
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
keep your spotting scope with you at all times........even if you're on the final stalk to a ram your going to shoot.

ianwuzhere
03-02-2013, 10:17 PM
spot messenger.
garbage bags

whitetailsheds
03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
If your eyes aren't bleeding.....you are NOT glassing enough!!!!

mad mountain mike
03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Take an old gaitor and cut off the metal clips, zippers and what not and then use the gaitor to protect your rifles action and scope while strapped to your pack during inclement weather on late season hunts.

03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Be prepared to hike thru a lot of crap to get where the sheep are. My first trip was a real mental grind despite being told over and over about how thick and shitty it can be getting above the tree line. Was honestly ready to turn around several times in the 13 hours it took us to get on top of a sheep hill. Now that I know whats there, I cant wait to get back this year - I just hope the two "maybes" we saw have survived the last two years, they'll be "for sures" now!
Good Luck.
JP

Every year we see a lot of 7 year old, almost full curl rams and think that the following year there should be legal rams everywhere. That never seems to be the case. I guess at that age, most of those rams rut hard and only a few survice the winter. Any other theories?

ianwuzhere
03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
i was wondering the same thing 325.

harbinger
03-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Don't under estimate the importance of good socks.

boxhitch
03-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Every year we see a lot of 7 year old, almost full curl rams and think that the following year there should be legal rams everywhere. That never seems to be the case. I guess at that age, most of those rams rut hard and only a few survice the winter. Any other theories?thats one , for sure. Another is that the older rams split off from the mixed age groups , for a quieter lifestyle.

Call of the Wild
03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Every year we see a lot of 7 year old, almost full curl rams and think that the following year there should be legal rams everywhere. That never seems to be the case. I guess at that age, most of those rams rut hard and only a few survice the winter. Any other theories?

I recall in Garry Vince book he mentioned that back in the early days they were seeing the same thing him and one of his main sheep guide, lots of up and comers. And the following years they were not seeing an increase of mature rams as they thought. He mentioned later on he observed the same pattern with his son and an other guy guiding for him.

He briefly explains they theorized on why they were not seeing more mature over the years. They thought the rams as they get older relocate to new range but other outfitters were observing the same thing in the field. They then suspected the rut and the winter must kill a lot of rams.

03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
I recall in Garry Vince book he mentioned that back in the early days they were seeing the same thing him and one of his main sheep guide, lots of up and comers. And the following years they were not seeing an increase of mature rams as they thought. He mentioned later on he observed the same pattern with his son and an other guy guiding for him.

He briefly explains they theorized on why they were not seeing more mature over the years. They thought the rams as they get older relocate to new range but other outfitters were observing the same thing in the field. They then suspected the rut and the winter must kill a lot of rams.

I think this logic is part of the reason for the 8 year old minimum for harvest - by eight, most rams are nearing the end of life anyways, so a good age to harvest.

rudysteelhead
03-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Good partner, best optics you can afford, boots that fit your feet like gloves, boot liners, couple of hard candies per day in your food allotment, 2 ibuprofen for end of the day, and most of all...... patience. Good luck

Jack Russell
03-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Yes, ibprofen - also known as "stretch in a bottle"....haha...very good idea to bring, unless you are under 30 years of age - then you're still made of rubber, relatively speaking....

steel_ram
03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Sheep can't count.

If you get spotted, back out leaving your packs or partner behind in full view. You may get a second chance.

budismyhorse
03-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Dont get married or have children

Stone Sheep Steve
03-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Dont get married or have children

Just make sure you pick the right wife:). I bought my first sheep tag 3 weeks after our first child was born. Have only missed 1 or 2 sheep seasons since.

SSS

budismyhorse
03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Ya I can't complain much either.......;)

just makes it a little more "interesting"

Brett
03-05-2013, 02:28 PM
requesting a tip please?!

if looking at google, bing, topos, what to look for on a map for "sheep areas or basins" what constitutes a good looking area?

leadpillproductions
03-06-2013, 07:21 AM
requesting a tip please?!

if looking at google, bing, topos, what to look for on a map for "sheep areas or basins" what constitutes a good looking area?
Very good question I hope someone answers this one

Buck
03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
I would suggest going through BCRAMS posts he is a dedicated map guy.

Rackmastr
03-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Dont wait until you shoot a ram on a backcountry trip to learn how to turn lips, ears, eyelids, nostrils, etc and flesh a cape properly for taxidermy purposes.

Practice on deer (even small bucks for practice), and spend time with people who know what they're doing. Be confident so when you knock a ram over in the backcountry you know exactly what you're doing and can care for everything nicely. It will make a huge difference down the road!

moose2
03-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I like to look at these maps and take notes of areas I have seen sheep in before. I will look at a zoomed in picture of the exact spot where I have seen rams around the same date that I will be hunting. Once I find that I take note of elevation, exposer, and size of area they were using. Then I look through the maps and try to match these features with other areas with in the sheeps range. It has worked well for me, and also pushes me to try new areas.
Mike

Brett
03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Will sheep travel from mountain to mountain if it means going into thicker stuff or crossing a creek?

03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Will sheep travel from mountain to mountain if it means going into thicker stuff or crossing a creek?

I can answer this one...we once pushed a band of 12+ rams across a huge valley. They went through thick willow and timber. They swam the river and everything.

LYKTOHUNT
03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Dont take cast iron fryin pans and dutch ovens

hitch
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
If you pack it in.......pack it out! Pretty shitty to be in pristine country and find someone else's garbage.

budismyhorse
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Dont wait until you shoot a ram on a backcountry trip to learn how to turn lips, ears, eyelids, nostrils, etc and flesh a cape properly for taxidermy purposes.

Practice on deer (even small bucks for practice), and spend time with people who know what they're doing. Be confident so when you knock a ram over in the backcountry you know exactly what you're doing and can care for everything nicely. It will make a huge difference down the road!

great tip!!

I was part of a debackle last year when I helped two guys get stones.........neither knew what they were doing and I bounced back and forth between them but couldn't prevent a few MAJOR mistakes they made on the face when I was helping the other guy.......all I can say is practice on other game a few times when it doesn't "count".

03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
great tip!!

I was part of a debackle last year when I helped two guys get stones.........neither knew what they were doing and I bounced back and forth between them but couldn't prevent a few MAJOR mistakes they made on the face when I was helping the other guy.......all I can say is practice on other game a few times when it doesn't "count".

And bring salt. My taxi told me that he gets several unsalted sheep capes/year, and of course many of them slip.

BCrams
03-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Too often I hear guys return from a hunt saying they are disapointed because they didn't see anything or had bad weather, or it was tough. Enjoy the hunt even when you don't see or find what you're looking for. Enjoy the mountains and its scenery and the excitement of seeing game when you do spot them. Enjoy the nice days and the bad when weather throws a twist in the hunt. One day you'll look back and recall all the great places you saw whether you harvested game or not.

boxhitch
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Enjoy the hunt even when you don't see or find what you're looking for.Great point , but not sure many will take to heart. Too many hunters feel pressured to be successful , too many mistakes.
A by-product of Forums ? Or something that has always existed but not talked about ?
This last season alone I heard of 8 different occasions of missed or poor first shots.

358mag
03-06-2013, 09:32 PM
don't worry about having the best gear or optics, take what you have , go for a great walk about and consider it an added bonus if you take a ram... Sheep hunters often make it sound like the masses can't do a sheep hunt unless they have the best pack, spotting scope , bino's etc... not true.... just get out and do it.. you will never regret it..
How true, first backpack sheep hunt we had Frieghterframe packs ,old army wool pants ,5 lb sleeping bags ,3 lb thermo rest, heavy Helly Hanson rain gear . Coleman pack stove with 2 1lb fuel cannisters,army boil in a bag meals <dam them cabbage rolls tasted good after a long day > 10lb 2 man tent , Spacemaster 30X spotting scope , but we did have good Bino's and 1st gen Meindl boots,small pocket 35mm camera, no sat phones or Spot, .. Had a great trip enjoyed it ,just wished I had started sheep hunting 20 years earlier. Enjoy your time in mountains take advantage of what mother nature gives you before father time takes it away ...

Bear Chaser
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
A few observations:

It's really nice to glass from a lawnchair at first and last light.
Expect to use two 2liter bottles of coke for every forty of whiskey.
Nothing beats campfire coffee brewed in a real pot.
Bagels & cream cheese help round out the corners after a breakfast of bacon & eggs.
Twizzlers and jube jubes go well with lunch.
It's good to know your limits. Two smokies for supper is okay; three will give you heartburn and lend a general feeling of shittiness.

Don't expect the horses that hauled your sorry butt and all the crap I just mentioned to save you from putting in 6000 vertical foot days when the ram you are after just gets up and switches to the other side of a basin for no effin' good reason after you already let him bed down for the day and put on a perfect stalk.

03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
A few observations:

Bagels & cream cheese help round out the corners after a breakfast of bacon & eggs.
It's good to know your limits. Two smokies for supper is okay; three will give you heartburn and lend a general feeling of shittiness.

Don't expect the horses that hauled your sorry butt and all the crap I just mentioned to save you from putting in 6000 vertical foot days when the ram you are after just gets up and switches to the other side of a basin for no effin' good reason after you already let him bed down for the day and put on a perfect stalk.

Now you're talking!

proguide66
03-06-2013, 11:16 PM
One old fart who managed a big sheep outfit for years always said " every day is a NEW DAY sheep hunting , even in the same spot" , its true..you can see nothing for days , wake up and theres a band of rams laying in front of you.

bridger
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
When you are cold, wet, tired, and have reached the end of your rope tie a knot in the end of it and hang on. Things will get better.

hunter1947
03-07-2013, 03:17 AM
This is my one thought I am no sheep hunter but I know what it takes to get into shape my opinion is to get into the best shape you can ,,train 6 months before you head out on your hunt ,,climb mountains that are steep after getting into shape then put a 40 pound back pack on and continue to work out up mountains in your area then after you are use to the 40 pound weight then go up to 50 pounds and continue to work out till you have very little problems caring your weight up mountain slops...

Doing getting into top shape will increase your chances of getting any animal you are going after...

M.Dean
03-07-2013, 11:27 AM
A Sheep Hunting tip??? That's a hard one!!! I'd think about the only sure fired way to get a decent Ram would be to follow someone that knows what the hell there doing! Sheep Hunters don't mind if you set up camp 50 or 60 feet from them, then come morning, after you bummed coffee and oatmeal from the guy and used all the water he packed in to wash your hair, just follow right behind him!!! Once he spot's a Record Book Ram, stay low and run as fast as you can, bump him gently just as he's going to squeeze the trigger on his new Kimber Ultra Light weight Mnt. rifle and wack the Ram with your old Lee Enfield 303!!! Now, getting him to help gut, Cape and pack your Record Book Ram out may pose a bit of a chore, but hey, nobody said Sheep Hunting was going to be easy!!! Now, that's one hell of a Sheep Hunting Tip, I think!!!

Wild Images
03-07-2013, 04:03 PM
If your 5 foot 4 don't sheep hunt with a guy 6 foot 4.
Tried it, wasn't much fun !
Use you brain before you go rather than your legs once you get there.

Hell even Whitetailsheds got a couple rams :twisted:

ratherbeshooting
03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Get in shape.

budismyhorse
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
When you are cold, wet, tired, and have reached the end of your rope tie a knot in the end of it and hang on. Things will get better.

Ahhh the old Joe Back sig line at the end! I love it...........

attaboy Rich.....makes me want to break that old book out and read it again.

budismyhorse
03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
How about this:

Bring GOOD food you've eaten before........don't skimp on taste. Bring individual jolly ranchers......little choc bars.....whatever!

And if your back packing.......bring starbucks "three in ones".........you won't be sorry!

oclarkii
03-08-2013, 10:54 AM
When you think you're high enough, go higher. Then go a bit higher still.

A full size choc bar a day is a can make all the difference

Bud beat me to it, but when you're backpacking Starbucks instant coffee is the best sh#t EVER.

358mag
03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Water is your friend make sure you pack enuff the mountains can be very dry up top ,trust me you dont want to be on top of mountain in the heat of early Aug sheep hunt with no water for 2 days no Fun !!!

Tuffcity
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Don't hunt with fallers- you'll lose way to much weight just trying to keep up those fkrs! :)

RC

stoneguide
03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
A couple tips I can think of,

1. Even if rams are scarce have fun and enjoy the country!!

2. The sun is your friend. With the magnification of sheeps eyes they hate looking at the sun. So when possible get the sun at your back during a stalk.

3. Prevailing winds typically blow down valley and down hill in the mornings until the thermals start to warm as the day progresses and they will slowly start to change to travel and rise up valley or hills. So just plan that most days the winds will switch part way through the day.

4. For pics be sure to tie the mouth shut hiding blood and the tongue. Use fishing line. Don't go around the nose cut a slit in the top gum and bottom gum where you would normaly split while capping. Put the line though the slits and pull tight. This will hold the mouth closed but leave the lips loose and no line mark around the nose.

5. Always have mole skin in your pack!

6. Always cook the ribs over an open fire the day of harvest!!

7. Extra boot laces are a must even if it's just one.

daycort
03-10-2013, 03:31 PM
A few observations:

I am going to add to this list:

your most trust worthy horse carries the scotch and whiskey.
before doing anything stupid remember the "Art" rule.
And nickname all your hunting partners Bruce, it's less confusing when it's time to shoot.

leadpillproductions
03-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Bump nice to see some sheep guys willing to help out new sheep hunters

Wild Images
03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
If you have looked everywhere up high and can't find the rams, look into the buckbrush. Pressured rams
will take to the bottoms and hideout.

izakaman
04-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Great Thread For Someone just getting into sheep! like me :mrgreen:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Bump time, on late hunts boil water and put it in your water bottle and put it in your sleeping bag help keep you warm on cold nights.

BCbillies
07-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Make it clear to your partner that you may not be back to camp for 24 to 48 hours and not too worry! Better yet . . . both carry an InReach.

Another good reminder while sheep hunting . . . you can sleep when you're old!

bigben
07-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Pick a good partner and make sure you can run faster than him if you incounter the LONGCLAW and good luck

BCbillies
07-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Pick a good partner and make sure you can run faster than him if you incounter the LONGCLAW and good luck

And if the two of you are sharing a rifle make sure the one rifle isn't fastened securely to the pack . . . LONGCLAW comes fast!

bighornbob
07-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Tip #1 Always make sure your second rope attached to your dead ram (to keep it on the mountain) is securely attached before untying the first.

Tip#2 When your ram starts to tumble down a steep mountain don't try to hang on:mrgreen:

bhb

bridger
07-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Don't put all the whiskey on one horse!

BCbillies
07-05-2014, 10:45 PM
At night tie a rope around your prized ram horns and salted cape and bring the other end of the rope into the tent and connect it to your a part of your body . . . you'd be surprised what critters will walk away with your sheep!

bigben
07-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Don't put all the whiskey on one horse!

Spoken by a true gentleman with experience good one Bridger

sherpa-Al
07-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Sleep with only one earplug in, there are lots of critters out there trying to steal your hard earned sheep when it's dark!

Al

sherpa-Al
07-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Vary your training, don't just stick to one exercise to get into sheep hunting shape. Cross training will make the difference when you need it. A commitment to a combination of time spent hiking, biking, jogging, in the gym and on the treadmill will pay off in the mountains.

Al

hunter1947
07-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Get into top notch shape head up mountains for a couple months 3 times a week with a 50 pound pack on your back in order to accomplish your conditioning do this till you now your in shape..

malibual0
07-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Bring a small package of wet ones and instead of gold bond powder use corn starch it has no scent.

leadpillproductions
07-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Good to know I will have to try this
Bring a small package of wet ones and instead of gold bond powder use corn starch it has no scent.

spear
07-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Im still a rookie but some things i learned last year...

Dont be afraid to sleep on the mountain, never leave camp unprepared to do so.

Make gear do double duty, dont take two items to do one job

Sheep meat goes well with every single meal

you CAN get closer than 300 yards

Best advice i've been given:
Go hunting with whatever gear you've got, just get out there
Leave it all on the mountain

Make your own luck, there is no substitute for hard work

colemanwsm
07-07-2014, 12:19 AM
Figure out your personal wants and needs this will make your pack much lighter, baby wipes are the nicest when baboon ass strikes !!! T-3 with codine fixes diarea within an hr, long range shooting is plan b -beating a ram at his own game in his teritory is the thrill and personal achivement all sheep hunters strive for !!!!

primitive
07-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Trekking poles are vital, especially for us over 30.

SR80
07-07-2014, 08:58 AM
They are like 4wd! This is a great thread

calvin L
07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Don't start . It is more addicting than crack !!!! .

pistolpete
07-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Don't sky line. You'll get a nice view but no sheep.

digger dogger
07-07-2014, 08:42 PM

Even more so, for us over 40 old timers..

J_T
07-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Always keep your eyes open for a 500 year old dead man sticking out of the ice.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Cut as much pack weight as posibile , You can ruff it for 2 weeks ... 65lb max

Cali
07-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Hunt from the bottom up, not top down.

44inchStone
07-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Get into sheep shape. You will understand after day 1

Caveman
07-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Tip #1 Always make sure your second rope attached to your dead ram (to keep it on the mountain) is securely attached before untying the first.

Tip#2 When your ram starts to tumble down a steep mountain don't try to hang on:mrgreen:

bhb

Wise, Wise words!!! ;)

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Learn diferant ways to tie your boots to help with blisters going up and down hill ... Google it !

Barracuda
07-11-2014, 11:15 AM
hmmmm Getting into shape seems to be a common theme.

warnniklz
07-11-2014, 11:16 AM
At night tie a rope around your prized ram horns and salted cape and bring the other end of the rope into the tent and connect it to your a part of your body . . . you'd be surprised what critters will walk away with your sheep!

could have used that tip last September... ... ..

silvertipp
07-11-2014, 11:21 AM
If you find a nice hidden water hole ,They can be very active on hot days

Remmy
07-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Make sure you put big rocks on your tent pegs!
Use your Mountain house bags as muscle heat as you wait for it to prepare.

BCbillies
07-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Wash feet once or twice a day in a cold stream with soap . . . dry feet well.

boxhitch
07-11-2014, 06:35 PM
rinse out the liner socks at the same time , they get crusty fast but dry fast too

southpaw
07-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Bring a deck of cards for socked in days, tape the end of your rifle, pack snot rag in pocket to clean rifle scope before you shoot. The gun goes through hell for a long time usually before its needed.

southpaw
07-11-2014, 07:09 PM
If you have pants that the legs zip off, make sure they are attached before you head north late season.