PDA

View Full Version : regulation question

Vancouver1234
02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey, so i am in the middle of studying for my core and i dont know if im just over thinking this, may sound dumb but i can wrap my head around this. If the regs sat 10(20) then the daily bag limit is 10 and the 20 is the possession limit, So the possession limit is "the max number of a species you can return from hunting with. So what is the 10 then? daily bag limit i had thought is how many of a total number of animals of a species, then i still cant get the 20, may sound really dumb, but could someone quickly break that down? other than this everything is absorbing well.

thanks alot!!

.330 Dakota
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
It means that you are only allowed to shoot 10 per day,,,but if your trip was 3 days and then you leave for home, you had better not be in possion of more than 20 per person when stopped. That way you cannot stay for 5 days and shoot 50. the max is 20 no matter how long you are there,,,hope that makes sense

s0ylentgreen
02-26-2013, 06:23 PM
you could go on a hunting trip for 2-3 days
get 10 birds a day maximum
and take home (or be caught with) no more than 20...

rides bike to work
02-26-2013, 06:42 PM
So does that mean your only alowed 20 in you freezer at home or can you have as many as you want at home

The Dawg
02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
20 in your freezer

Jelvis
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Don't forget to leave a wing on or you'll be charged, booked and sentenced.
Jel .. Book em Danno

Everett
02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
20 in your freezer

I think you are wrong once game is at your home it is no longer property of the Crown but your own property hence the possesion limit is no longer relevant. If its the way you are thinking most fisherman and a lot of bird hunters are in violation myself included.

02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
I think you are wrong once game is at your home it is no longer property of the Crown but your own property hence the possesion limit is no longer relevant. If its the way you are thinking most fisherman and a lot of bird hunters are in violation myself included.

Any legal backing for your statement? Always been under the impression possession limit means exactly that...........

The Dude
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Well this is interesting: What words are missing in the "Upland game Birds" rule?

BC Hunting Synopsis, page 17

The possession limit for all migratory game birds at all times
(including while hunting, returning from hunting or at a residence) is
three times the daily limit.

The possession limit for all upland game birds (including sharptailed
grouse in region 7B) while hunting or returning from hunting is
three times the daily limit except for Sharp-tailed Grouse (Regions
3 & 5) and pheasants (Region 4 only) where the possession limit is two
times the daily limit.

The Dawg
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Any legal backing for your statement? Always been under the impression possession limit means exactly that...........

Me as well.

Vancouver1234
02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
makes perfect sense now! thanks for clarifying guys!

heyblast
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
The Dude has it right. Attached wing is only when bird is being transported.

finngun
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
So does that mean your only alowed 20 in you freezer at home or can you have as many as you want at home

in whole season you can shoot as many as you can,,,BUT daily limit example,,ducks-mallard =8..... possession limit is 3 times that .. you freezer can be loaded with24..mallards...but if you eat 10 and giveaway 14 ,,so you can shoot another 24....but again only 8 per day..and so on....
and same thing with grouse...5 per day---15 possession limit no more than 15 in freezer at the same tame ..hope that helps..f-g:mrgreen:

lovemywinchester
02-26-2013, 10:25 PM

You cannot exceed the possesion limit, even at home. Thats the point of having it.

finngun
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
You cannot exceed the possesion limit, even at home. Thats the point of having it.

correct,,,asked from c o:mrgreen:

Mulehahn
02-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Well this is interesting: What words are missing in the "Upland game Birds" rule?

BC Hunting Synopsis, page 17

The possession limit for all migratory game birds at all times
(including while hunting, returning from hunting or at a residence) is
three times the daily limit.

The possession limit for all upland game birds (including sharptailed
grouse in region 7B) while hunting or returning from hunting is
three times the daily limit except for Sharp-tailed Grouse (Regions
3 & 5) and pheasants (Region 4 only) where the possession limit is two
times the daily limit.

When I read the regs to me it says only migratory bird possession applies to your place of residence. No where in the upland bird possession regulations does it mention residence. I have never had 15 grouse at my house and gone out to get more, nor could I imagine wanting to let alone being able to, but if I did and was charged I would fight it.

The Dude
02-27-2013, 01:18 AM
That's exactly it. As far as I can interpret, the RESIDENCE possession limit applies to MIGRATORY birds only, with no limit on upland game birds, once at your RESIDENCE.

I also have never had more than 15 Grouse in my freezer......they don't last very long ;-)

rides bike to work
02-27-2013, 07:51 AM
another example of the regs being open to interpretation.

Everett
02-27-2013, 07:52 AM
When I read the regs to me it says only migratory bird possession applies to your place of residence. No where in the upland bird possession regulations does it mention residence. I have never had 15 grouse at my house and gone out to get more, nor could I imagine wanting to let alone being able to, but if I did and was charged I would fight it.

Thats my interpretation aswell.

outdoorsk
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM

Thats my interpretation of it also.

The Dude
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
I'd like Steve W to weigh in on this one...... I think we found something here.

Jelvis
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I heard it was for a hunter who goes out for a long week end, then it's his or her limit for three days.
Leave a wing on til home. Then clean bird and put in vacuum packed bags into freezer.
Then if he or she goes out again repeat as above.
You can have more in freezer. My interpretation.
Jel.

Dannybuoy
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
That's exactly it. As far as I can interpret, the RESIDENCE possession limit applies to MIGRATORY birds only, with no limit on upland game birds, once at your RESIDENCE.

I also have never had more than 15 Grouse in my freezer......they don't last very long ;-)
Likewise I have never had near that many grouse But I dont think it is open to interpretation at all ..pretty black and white to me !

xfactor
02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Does area of hunting affect possession limits in your freezer. for example hunting in the US, and bringing home limits of birds for that area, and possibly already having birds in the freezer from hunting here in the province?

Does the law differ between upland birds and waterfowl?