PDA

View Full Version : Candle lantern use in a tent?

allan
02-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have experience with using a candle lantern in a tent during the winter/fall to ward off the chill and to reduce condensation in the tent?
Im wondering how much difference it makes to use the uco candle lantern to burn at night time to help warm up your sleeping space.
Thanks

Big Lew
02-26-2013, 04:21 PM
I have used the commercial candle lantern as well as a homemade one. I suspend them from the center part of the ceiling as low as I can without danger of hitting it while sleeping. I would caution against just placing them on something, or the floor, to reduce the chance of fire if knocked over. They do make a big difference.

Poguebilt
02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
used them for years... 1 in my 2 man tent and 2 in my 3-4 man tent.... worked enough to just take the chill of and provides more than enough light too... I used to two piece reflectors too...

Amphibious
02-26-2013, 07:02 PM
lots of videos online showing how fast a tent can burn. I personally avoid any open flame in a tent. my jetboil in the vestibule if the weather is crap, and then with extreme caution. Burning melting plastic landing on you would ruin your day.

Big Lew
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Using the commercial candle lanterns suspended with a thin wire, from, but well away from the tent roof is pretty safe. As I earlier said, using an open candle where it can be knocked over is risky. Suspending the candle lantern with a string is risky as well.

ytlogger
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM
I use one and in my Hille Nallo and it does warm the tent and seems to lessen condensation on the outer tent. A candle lantern is pretty safe, but I don't know if I'd leave it to burn all night. Candles are kind of heavy so I wouldn't want to pack a bunch of them.

Gateholio
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Just be safe. Don't fall asleep with it burning! :)

Bisonfirst
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I've used one for years ski touring with no probs. It really does make a difference.

new hunter
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I wander if putting a heating pad in your sleeping bag wouldnt work .
I used the hand , foot , and body warmers that skiers use ( I think there hot paws , those paper and charcoal pads you put in your gloves or shoes ) in the late season before I learned to use wool clothing .
Those pads can generate a ton of heat , I dont think it would do much for condensation but it might keep your bag a bit warmer without risk of ignition .